Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

How do you know which move sets are good?

Spreadsheets. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12FpF66WUzvDV0_GIlbcwVGQ4PxjLYqSPpqLqWrVchL4/edit#gid=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

VodeAndreas posted:

Gave in and had a look at Pokeadvisor, I've got 5 90+% pokemon including 1 100%.... Weedle.

At least my Charmander and Squirtle are among those 90% so I can have hope for a kickass Charizard and Venusaur sometime next year.

Get that Weedle up to a Beedrill, my man! Since pokeballs are scarce, we all have revives and potions up the rear end. Which means the only thing that should matter to you when attacking gyms is how fast you can do it, so look at DPS and type. One of Beedrill's quick attacks, Poison Jab, has almost as much DPS as Water Gun and it's the best poison "quick attack" in the game. If you end up with bug bite and sludge bomb instead, then his combined DPS is among the top 5%. It's almost the same DPS as Mewtwo's best move combo, I poo poo you not. I mean, we'd all rather have Mewtwo, but you're probably swimming in Weedle candies and already have one that's nearly at your level cap, and so wouldn't need much investment.

And since he's both poison and bug types, Beedrill beats the everliving poo poo out of grass pokemon, which are weak to both (Supposedly it's cumulative).

Hey if you don't give a crap about type weaknesses, allow me to sing the praises of Wigglytuff, the poor man's Snorlax. Wiggly with Pound and Hyperbeam has the highest DPS in the entire game (For either quick attack DPS or overall "weave DPS"). Oh sure he'll die faster, but he is a decent tank and DPS is king when potions are plentiful.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

eXXon posted:

I hit level 10 the other day and finally encountered my first caterpie and gastly. Soon I'll be ready to take down those 2000+CP dragonites and vaporeons.

That's the spirit!

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Meatwave posted:

Get that Weedle up to a Beedrill, my man! Since pokeballs are scarce, we all have revives and potions up the rear end. Which means the only thing that should matter to you when attacking gyms is how fast you can do it, so look at DPS and type. One of Beedrill's quick attacks, Poison Jab, has almost as much DPS as Water Gun and it's the best poison "quick attack" in the game. If you end up with bug bite and sludge bomb instead, then his combined DPS is among the top 5%. It's almost the same DPS as Mewtwo's best move combo, I poo poo you not. I mean, we'd all rather have Mewtwo, but you're probably swimming in Weedle candies and already have one that's nearly at your level cap, and so wouldn't need much investment.

And since he's both poison and bug types, Beedrill beats the everliving poo poo out of grass pokemon, which are weak to both (Supposedly it's cumulative).

Hey if you don't give a crap about type weaknesses, allow me to sing the praises of Wigglytuff, the poor man's Snorlax. Wiggly with Pound and Hyperbeam has the highest DPS in the entire game (For either quick attack DPS or overall "weave DPS"). Oh sure he'll die faster, but he is a decent tank and DPS is king when potions are plentiful.

Good to know he has a bright future ahead of him.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I went to Greenlake in Seattle today and walked the loop. So many pokemon stops, so many water type pokemon. I caught a CP 464 Dratini that has 86% IV. Unfortunately, it's moveset is Dragon Breath (good?) and wrap (probably bad). Will it's moveset upgrade as it evolves?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The moveset can change while evolving. Another reason why catching the final evolution tends be preferable.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Yes

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Buffis posted:

This is dumb, since you basically need to hit curveballs now to catch things :|

Not really. 92% catch rate and I never bother with curve balls. I just get the job done.

I've eliminated every type of pokemon I've encountered. No dark shadows in my pokedex.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

chemosh6969 posted:

I've eliminated every type of pokemon I've encountered. No dark shadows in my pokedex.

I've only ever had it twice and neither was my fault. My phone died in the middle of a Caterpie capture (later got one from an egg) and I got a Koffing whose timer had already expired.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Ugh, I got ~40 balls as I came home from work yesterday, and the damned pidgies ate most all of them. They really do seem smaller targets, move around a hell of a lot more, blocks more often and break out as well. We are talking low end birds and I am at level 10.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fauxtool posted:

go west to fort mason for a very active squirtle habitat, the docks spawn dratinis
go a litter further west to the walt disney museum for a great bulbsaur habitat
crissey field to the north is a snorlax nest, you can catch one every few hours

SF is an amazing place to catch almost every pokemon

I was on vacation there in mid-July. The Hyatt at Embarcadero and that general area is a Tentacool, Magicarp and Psyduck haven.

I caught 300+ Magicarp from my hotel room at night while the kids slept in a matter of 5 days.

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

This community college is a great walking loop and Lickitung drop-off zone

He is our leader

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Alan Smithee posted:

OOC what's the most number of gyms you've held at one point? I just get my two a night (last night said gently caress it and just got the one). Even though gyms are only blocks away in the time it takes to go to another one there's a very high chance I'll lose it, so I've just stuck to the 2 outside my building I can walk to

The other day I went on a walk and managed to hold 9 at once which is my best but I can average about five per day around here now. It helps that I can do this mid-afternoon while normal people are working. 1260 coins so far; I love my giant backpack!

Question: are Abras relatively common anywhere? In Portland I haven't even seen one yet and I'm level 25!

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Visual Sneeze posted:

Question: are Abras relatively common anywhere? In Portland I haven't even seen one yet and I'm level 25!

There's bound to be a nest somewhere local.

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Visual Sneeze posted:

The other day I went on a walk and managed to hold 9 at once which is my best but I can average about five per day around here now. It helps that I can do this mid-afternoon while normal people are working. 1260 coins so far; I love my giant backpack!

I see Abras occasionally at all the normal pidgey/rattata spawn points near my apartment, but only once or twice a week.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
I was just curious because for instance Mankeys and Drowzees are quite uncommon for me but then I hear that they've all over the place in San Diego and Boston, respectively. I was wondering if there's an analogous city for Abras.

Meanwhile, in Portland (some weeks ago):

Visual Sneeze fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 6, 2016

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Zo posted:

Dodging has a bunch of elements to it.

First, your attack determines how fast you can react. Like confusion is a really long attack animation so usually you can't dodge in time. Water gun is extremely fast and with proper play you can basically dodge everything (aside from one or two undodgeables).

On the enemy side, every attack has a slightly different dodge timing and window, which you judge from their yellow flash. Like you want to dodge their water gun as soon as they flash. But body slam comes out pretty late and you need to wait a bit after the yellow flash for that. Generally you know how often they attack so you can get into a rhythm of it.

Basically water gun rules.

Are Blizzard and Hurricane still the only moves you can't dodge?

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I've only seen a Drowzee once in Philly.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Meatwave posted:

Wigglytuff is a beast. More damaging than Snorlax, almost as much HP. Play Rough is also a good special, because it deals extra damage to Dragons and Fighting pokemon.

I would go as far to say that Wigglytuff is *better* than Snorlax. Yes, I went there.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Dahbadu posted:

Wigglytuff is a beast. More damaging than Snorlax, almost as much HP. Play Rough is also a good special, because it deals extra damage to Dragons and Fighting pokemon.

I would go as far to say that Wigglytuff is *better* than Snorlax. Yes, I went there.

Also, this is important:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0sgTQmh_n4

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Holy poo poo. Pokeadvisor lists the stats of moves now. Awesome website keeps getting more awesome.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
Has anyone seen a Tengela yet?

I caught one in the beta but I haven't seen one since the main release or noticed anyone here mention it.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Took my younger dog out for a walk as he loves walks. Saw an Onix on my nearby list. Dog chose today to not want to walk. Carried him 3/4 of the way. Never got the Onix to pop up. :(

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Hadaka Apron posted:

I've only seen a Drowzee once in Philly.

Meanwhile here in Stockport/Manchester (UK) it's more common than weedle.
I absolutely hate all these stupid Drowzees.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

chemosh6969 posted:

I caught one in the beta but I haven't seen one since the main release or noticed anyone here mention it.

I've gotten a few of them in and near a park.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

my best guys so far. 15 who are 80% or better, but most of them are awaiting evolution which is gonna be a while because of all the drat candy they need and how there's no way to track down pokemon :negative:

at least I get to enjoy shellder's goofy mug for a while

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
This is relevant -

I still haven't even seen a Dratini, let alone caught one.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

chemosh6969 posted:

In Northern Cali, I caught a few out in the wild and I've gotten a few from 5km eggs. I think they're pretty good against water pokemon, and the majority of pokemon you see in gyms are water it seems.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The way this is set up really isn't fair to all.

San Francisco has a Gyrados spawned right now and pretty much everything spawns there.

It should be the same everywhere, for all the players. I read about people in rural areas who don't have poo poo around. They should have the most pokemon spawning because of all the space. Niantic really needs to get this figured out. Perhaps make all spawns random so everyone has a chance at everything. And the best idea I've read about candy is make it type specific, Poison, Fire, whatever.

Also, Pier 39 is a complete joke. Within a short walk are about 15 pokestops. All have lures. You can pretty much catch a magicarp a minute. That means you can make your own Gyrados in 2 hours. It's unreal and totally broken.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 6, 2016

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
So I took my dog for a walk and found a friendly Valor gym with a bench nearby. So I sat down. Put a lvl 99 magikarp in it and trained against that to bring the gym from level 5 to 7 in just a few minutes. Then someone drives up, sitting in their car for a while, so I assumed he's Valor too. No, after 10 minutes he puts it in reverse and says, "Hey are you team Valor?! Man, I'm not in my territory!" I was halfway through saying, "Yeah if you have 6 decent Pokemon you could probably still..." but he drove away frustrated. lol. :shrug:

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Waltzing Along posted:

It should be the same everywhere, for all the players. I read about people in rural areas who don't have poo poo around.

Yeah. There are 2 pokestops within 1km, no nearby pokemon around my house or down my road, closest town has two stops and two gyms, and weedles and zubats. I drive into the city to play pokeman, but I haven't played for a week because the tracker keeps getting worse, catch-rate bonuses aren't applying, mapping sites are down so I have no incentive to find a place other than the park where everyone drops lures.

Oh, and I wanted to get into shape and be one of those guys that can run without having a heart attack, but after getting 20km from 4 hours of hard walking, and only 5km from 5 hours of running between pokestops, I realized the game was rigged for casuals. I thought fitness was the goal of this game.

And for anyone wondering, the limit from my reading of reddit suggests the server gets your location every 4 minutes, draws a line between point A and B, and if it's over 300 meters, they don't count and maybe even get another delay between the next check in. And there's no way I was running 12mph sustained, I would run for 30 seconds to a minute and then slow down/spin the stop/catch a mon.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 6, 2016

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Visual Sneeze posted:

I was just curious because for instance Mankeys and Drowzees are quite uncommon for me but then I hear that they've all over the place in San Diego and Boston, respectively. I was wondering if there's an analogous city for Abras.

I'm in San Diego and have never seen a single drowzee, but can't take a few steps without hitting a lovely pig-monkey. Also only ever seen one gastly ever, and only a dratini in the ocean/pier around Ocean Beach. The drought is clearly responsible!

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~
I never want to see another drowzee ever again

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

When/if they add generation 2, I hope Eevee evolves into Umbreon if you call it Gary.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ExtraFox posted:

I never want to see another drowzee ever again

I've only ever seen 1....and he poofed away on my first ball.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Waltzing Along posted:

I've only ever seen 1....and he poofed away on my first ball.

I average about 50 drowzees in a good night, once I got 79.
Of my 1453 pokemans I've caught, 21% were drowzees. 14% pidgeys. 14% rattata. 8.7% zubat. 7% spearow. 3.5% gastly etc.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Eyochigan posted:

Yeah. There are 2 pokestops within 1km, no nearby pokemon around my house or down my road, closest town has two stops and two gyms, and weedles and zubats. I drive into the city to play pokeman, but I haven't played for a week because the tracker keeps getting worse, catch-rate bonuses aren't applying, mapping sites are down so I have no incentive to find a place other than the park where everyone drops lures.

Oh, and I wanted to get into shape and be one of those guys that can run without having a heart attack, but after getting 20km from 4 hours of hard walking, and only 5km from 5 hours of running between pokestops, I realized the game was rigged for casuals. I thought fitness was the goal of this game.

And for anyone wondering, the limit from my reading of reddit suggests the server gets your location every 4 minutes, draws a line between point A and B, and if it's over 300 meters, they don't count and maybe even get another delay between the next check in. And there's no way I was running 12mph sustained, I would run for 30 seconds to a minute and then slow down/spin the stop/catch a mon.

That's bizarre. In my experience, it would definitely count that activity. What part of the country do you live in? Do you have Wifi on? What carrier and how many bars of 4G?

Also, major props in terms of how you went about playing. Burst training is really good for you, but I'm too lazy to play the game that way.

I've lost about 3 pounds over the last week, just walking a bunch and watching what I eat. I actually snack on ice cream. Here's my snack of choice: http://www.halotop.com/

60 calories a serving, 6 grams of protein and 20% fiber combined with sweeteners that don't make you feel like crap? Yes please!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I want to apologize for being one of the skeptics of this game three weeks ago, as the game was actually playable then and I miss everything they've ruined since then. Holy poo poo guys. How do you play this thing with no radar, the average CP of all Pokemon you find feels like it was reduced by maybe 80 percent, I had either a garbage programming situation if not a glitch where I lost my entire inventory essentially, including all ultra balls, on a 1200 dragonite that poofed on me after 15 minutes straight of berries/balls. Then the patch hit. Now pokeballs feel worse than ever, for pokemon worse than ever...with no radar. 3/4 of the people on Twitch are actively and openly botting. That means botters now also take gyms at level 38 without being punished.

Why remove the radar if it stopped 0 people from cheating on your awful game?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

I find it hilarious that major English-speaking cities outside the US are filled with Drowzees. I wonder if that's a commentary on your relatively cushy social safety nets.

Note that you're welcome to visit the US, but be warned, if you get hit by a car and go to the hospital, you'll probably go bankrupt. That's how we roll. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

extra stout posted:

I want to apologize for being one of the skeptics of this game three weeks ago, as the game was actually playable then and I miss everything they've ruined since then. Holy poo poo guys. How do you play this thing with no radar, the average CP of all Pokemon you find feels like it was reduced by maybe 80 percent, I had either a garbage programming situation if not a glitch where I lost my entire inventory essentially, including all ultra balls, on a 1200 dragonite that poofed on me after 15 minutes straight of berries/balls. Then the patch hit. Now pokeballs feel worse than ever, for pokemon worse than ever...with no radar. 3/4 of the people on Twitch are actively and openly botting. That means botters now also take gyms at level 38 without being punished.

Why remove the radar if it stopped 0 people from cheating on your awful game?

If you spend money on incubators and walk a bunch, it isn't so bad. But in my opinion they stealth-nerfed 10k egg drop rates along with the stuff you mentioned, and getting yet another 5k egg that hatches a Ponyta (which are one of the only 5k pokemon that spawn regularly here) is actually starting to de-motivate me.

• Locked thread