Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Are you referring not to a Loteria battle, but rather filling out the Tabla as instructed in the dialogue? Because the same thing happened for me. The game made it seem like I'd have to win 16 battles, but after like 5 all of a sudden Mayte was super mad and then I spoke to La Dama and then battled El Diablito and was done? I wasn't sure if something went wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

ALFbrot posted:

Are you referring not to a Loteria battle, but rather filling out the Tabla as instructed in the dialogue? Because the same thing happened for me. The game made it seem like I'd have to win 16 battles, but after like 5 all of a sudden Mayte was super mad and then I spoke to La Dama and then battled El Diablito and was done? I wasn't sure if something went wrong.

Can you tell me who you fought after El Gallo and before El Diablito? It's correct that in the contest version of the game the game ends after four battles (I removed three chapters because I was worried nobody would want to spend more than fifteen minutes on a jam game :ohdear:) however unless you fight La Sirena, it should be impossible to get to the final chapter without being one away from Lotería. La Dama gives you whatever card you need to complete a winning pattern.

Afal you did complete a tabla. You fought La Rana, El Camarón, and El Borracho so La Dama would have given you La Sirena which makes four in a row.

I probably should have had the progress tabla automatically show every time you won a battle.

Also I should have made it more clear, to "complete" a tabla meant to get a winning pattern, not to fill in all 16 spaces.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Gong Show is LIVE

https://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

nnnnooooo

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I'm sad I got moved to tommorow. I work during the show tommorow and I'm going to miss my own game :(

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"

Xibanya posted:

Can you tell me who you fought after El Gallo and before El Diablito? It's correct that in the contest version of the game the game ends after four battles (I removed three chapters because I was worried nobody would want to spend more than fifteen minutes on a jam game :ohdear:) however unless you fight La Sirena, it should be impossible to get to the final chapter without being one away from Lotería. La Dama gives you whatever card you need to complete a winning pattern.

Afal you did complete a tabla. You fought La Rana, El Camarón, and El Borracho so La Dama would have given you La Sirena which makes four in a row.

I got el camaron from la dama tho? I fought La Rana first and and El Camaron last before the final actual battle

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
A solid start to the Gong Show, really loved the bird snapping game. Lots of potential promise from the other teams too where a bit more polish or a few tweaks could make a game solid.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Afal posted:

I got el camaron from la dama tho? I fought La Rana first and and El Camaron last before the final actual battle

La Dama never gives you a card you already have so if she gave you El Camarón you must have fought somebody else. Can you remember everybody you had a battle with? (As in, they were your opponent in the battle screen?)

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Xibanya posted:

Also I should have made it more clear, to "complete" a tabla meant to get a winning pattern, not to fill in all 16 spaces.

Ah, that would probably be it.

Question for Gong Show judges: would it be preferable if I told you guys the SECRET DEBUG CODE that will allow you to jump to any week with whatever stats you want? I don't think Grandfathered In is going to make a very exciting play on the Gong Show, so jumping to different scenes might be what you'd like better.

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008

ALFbrot posted:

Question for Gong Show judges: would it be preferable if I told you guys the SECRET DEBUG CODE that will allow you to jump to any week with whatever stats you want? I don't think Grandfathered In is going to make a very exciting play on the Gong Show, so jumping to different scenes might be what you'd like better.
Couldn't hurt

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Oh yeah, for mine, if any time outside the battle screen you go to the options menu and turn on debug mode, you can instantly win a match by pressing "p" while it's in progress. (And "o" to instantly lose.)

I hope they can beat my game in ten minutes :ohdear:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Oops! Just edited out a bunch of cheats and spoilers for Grandfathered In.

I'll share them in a few days, maybe after all the Gong Show nights.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

IDDQD
IDKFA

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

In the awfuljams post mortem section for Ennui I've added a list of all the working interactions in the game, they can be difficult to come across the first time through and you should only check them out if you've already given the game a shot blind.

http://www.awfuljams.com/big-awful-2016/games/ennui

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Not sure if I want to watch my game's section of the gong show.
If any judges are reading this, the glitchy judge version of the game has level select cheats. At any time after you've selected a character, press A, S, or D to instantly go to the wheelchair race, obstacle course, or stair tumble.

I'll have a post-mortem up once I get the time. I was originally going to keep adding to the game after the contest (stuff that I cut like gradually increasing difficulty levels and the grandchild smooch, incinerator and shootout sections) but the more I play it the less I like it. I don't think anyone played it and I'm not proud of it, so I might just bury the Grandpa Games and move on.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Lmao I sent the debug controls and spoilers to a judge that wasn't even on steam

I'm extremely dumb

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Not sure if I want to watch my game's section of the gong show.
If any judges are reading this, the glitchy judge version of the game has level select cheats. At any time after you've selected a character, press A, S, or D to instantly go to the wheelchair race, obstacle course, or stair tumble.

I'll have a post-mortem up once I get the time. I was originally going to keep adding to the game after the contest (stuff that I cut like gradually increasing difficulty levels and the grandchild smooch, incinerator and shootout sections) but the more I play it the less I like it. I don't think anyone played it and I'm not proud of it, so I might just bury the Grandpa Games and move on.

dont worry dude mine sucked too

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
To whoever it was in the stream that said the controls in Grumpy Grandpa in the Big Breakout were randomly scattered around the lefthand side of the keyboard (I think it was InternetJanitor):

The game is meant to be played with arrow keys and left control, left alt, and spacebar or WASD E and Mouse 1 and 2. The game tutorial text list the action buttons but never specifies the movement keys(I probably should have said this or detected which the player was using the same way I detected if they were using a controller and changed the tutorial text automatically). A controller is recommended, but keyboard should be just as usable.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Oof. I did a couple of video reviews but the darned program selected the wrong microphone so I'm inaudible.

The Lawn

I got a good chuckle out of this one. It was taxing my system's requirements (though I was also encoding video), so the gameplay was a little choppy. At first I thought the bar at the top would go up when people made it on my lawn, and it was a failure meter, but eventually I realized it was based on people I dissuaded.

The sounds were delightful, and the graphical assets were great. The controls left a little to be desired -- gramps didn't rotate to face the mouse terribly quickly, so some shots were not aimed how I expected them. Also the range of motion was limited, which got especially awkward when I tried to see if I could hang out in one of the houses across the street. Well, I clipped through the fence, but the house was solid. Then I had to walk back to my lawn, but I was effectively unable to turn around. The camera really prioritized forward motion.

Eventually I hit the plot twist, and that was spot-on. Good voice acting, good lines, good presentation. This time the bar (hearts) went down instead of up, but I thought I was supposed to kill a fixed amount. After a while I started moving forward, but I made it to the boss with only two hearts.

The boss hit me and I died, which is fine, but starting me back at the beginning of the level is not such a great idea, design-wise. The strength of your game lies in the narrative, not the gameplay, so repeating that long and tedious section did nothing for me. Except make me search for a run-faster button. I didn't find one. Then I got to the Nixon speech again, except that he wasn't visible this time. I had hoped that it would be skipped since I had no reason to listen to it a second time, but as best I could tell it was bugging out but playing through in full. I searched for a button to try to skip it, and it turns out that Escape quits without any sort of prompt, which is usually nice but in this case worked against you.

I had a good time while it lasted, and I assume I got near the end. Well polished content, but slightly buggy and slightly frustrating controls. I'd say next game jam, if the point is an amusing narrative experience, you might do better to have no failure conditions at all. I know "You Died" is traditional, but there's little benefit toward replaying this content, and if you'd just made some bloody splatters and more funny sound effects when I got hit I'd be sufficiently motivated to progress forward. Or perhaps create situations in which I'm surrounded, but that would've been fun as well, as opposed to punishing.

Granpappa

Right away I'd hoped this was Parappa themed, and it didn't disappoint. The music was funky, the graphics pleasant and reminiscent, and the theme was something we can all probably relate to. I didn't read the prompt, but eventually I figured out what was going on.

It took a little longer than I would've liked to get to the lyrical part of the game -- at first there was just a bunch of hop, bop, and burn (or whatever that non-rhyming thing was. You should've found a trio that rhymed). I realize it was a tutorial part of the game (and writing lyrics is probably hard, and doing all that other cool stuff is probably difficult as well), but maybe for me the anticipation was a little too fierce and the payoff all too brief.

I did appreciate that the character appeared to do what I said. Sometimes I hopped when I meant to bop, and that's what actually happened. A nice and appropriate touch which brings me back to the Mario Teaches Typing days.

One thing that was a little unfortunate during the playthrough -- I was mostly looking down at the buttons I needed to press so I couldn't properly enjoy the visuals. That's a little harder to escape, and may not have been as much of a problem for those with better rhythm game skills. Lucky me I had a broken video playback.

Very nice showing -- it definitely hit all its marks, and left me wanting more.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

JonTerp posted:

Gong Show uses the version you submitted for judging :smith:

Don't let that stop you from doing a cool update for the public version!

Oh yeah, we know! Our intention is to have the update be for the public; that's why we haven't released the game publicly yet.

Rob Filter fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 6, 2016

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
I'm actually pretty stoked with that gong show. Being my first game, it's cool to see someone laugh at and praise something you put a lot of time into.

Gunzil
Jan 1, 2010
Thanks for all the kind words about Yosemite Birding! That's the best one of our games has done on the gongshow. :woop:

Here's another set of reviews. The order has changed to try and stay ahead of the Gongshow:

Souvenir
Extremely impressive visuals, holy smokes. Story was pretty simple and the walking was a little slow but they both served the crazy amount of environmental art very well. Reminded me a bit of Kentucky Route Zero with the game starting out mundane and then getting progressively more and more paranormal. The sound and music was also exceptional ;). Very atmospheric. I'm noticing a running trend in games about a character that is depressed about his dead wife.

Old Man's Drive
I also like the visuals a ton on this one! The alien designs are really interesting. They remind me of sprites from an atari game. The shifting horizon, color palette changes, and the scenery that scroll by all feel really cohesive. The player sprite looks a bit blurry, though. The gameplay is pretty simple, it could have used more variation. It seemed like the only thing that changed per planet was the color palette and the distance to the hole.

I Need Help
This game is extremely hard. Tried to play it with TheBrigand and we had absolutely no luck figuring out what to do. I really like the concept, but there are just too dialog buttons to pick from, and it's hard to know where to start or if you're making progress. Enjoyed when I tried to describe the buttons on the computer, and instead I went on a multiline rant about something completely unrelated, though. I think there's a lot of potential for a forced miscommunication game.

RIP, Old Man
A++ ASCII grave graphic. Short little story about a dead grandpa wanting visits. Only seemed like there were a couple choices, unless rising from the grave actually has a success condition. The action events where you press enter were an interesting idea, would have been cool if you made a couple other types, like a timing one. I liked the concept, I think you could have done a lot more with it.

The Grandpa Games
Very small minigame collection. I like the idea of running man, but with grandpas, and how your opponents are slowly eliminated as they fail / die. I ended up getting the chasm jump one 4 times in a row. Only got wheelchair race once and immediately lost, didn't get it again over 10 rounds. Visuals worked pretty well, the grandpa sprites were the best part.

PS: It would have been nice if your game exe and zip had a distinct name instead of "gramps"

Walking With Gramps
Oregon Trail but with a Grandpa. Do dialog choices based on what your inventory is, and try not to die. The walking animation / sound was probably the best part for me. The writing was pretty good, not a huge fan of this type of gameplay.

That Pokeyman Thing Your Grandkids Are Into
Absolutely brilliant Pokemon GO simulator. Including the various reactions of the general public in NPCs made it for me. Plus Werner Herzog makes an appearance. All the Pokeyman sprites & names are top notch. Having the gameplay be based on walking to different spots that NPCs hint toward worked really well as a simple mechanic. One of my favorites this jam.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gone Grandpa Gone
This video's a little off because I forgot to reset some settings.

https://vimeo.com/177819459

I liked the quiz up-front; it was an amusing barrier to entry and unexpectedly humorous. The graphics are nice and coherent. It felt slightly weird that I could move diagonally and less than a whole tile at a time, but that might just be my RPGMaker bias. The music was a little repetitive but not too distracting.

My main beef was with how punishing getting caught was. I wasn't invested enough to try to scout out most nurses' patterns in advance, and a lot of them you can't see fully anyway, so playing the game resulted in trying to go forward as quickly as possible and only reacting to the nurses short-term. That was okay to some degree, but that act of gameplay wasn't inherently satisfying. So being forced to redo it multiple times turned it into an opposition to my primary motivating factor: to see what happens next. And I wasn't that strongly motivated to begin with.

On the technical side this is reasonably well-polished. The visuals are coherent, and the goal becomes quickly obvious. It's on the design side that this one's lacking.

Loteria

https://vimeo.com/177820219

This game oozes style. The music is wonderful and appropriate, and the voice acting is phenomenal. The game is reasonably engaging as well -- I'm a sucker for CCGs. It took me longer than I should've to figure out some of the basics, and in the last match I play I'm still convinced it bugged out, but I wanted to play more of that card battling than I actually did.

And that's where I think the weakness of this game came into play. I enjoyed the voice acting, but I wasn't terribly in the mood for a lengthy story. And the story itself wasn't lengthy, but it wasn't clear when or how soon the various inhabitants would become combatible. So I wandered around the overworld. Slowly. Then hit a dead end and had to double-back. Slowly. In retrospect, I'm guessing your intention was to only allow one battle per day, but I'm still not certain if that was the case and because of that I wandered the whole overworld each day, but only got one battle out of it. That's what killed it for me.

Don't take that to be a huge negative -- some minor hinting (I'm fond of the compass arrows but even a nod to the fact that grandpa can't handle more than one battle a day might have sufficed) would have solved the one problem I had with this game, and it definitely stands out as a major one-month accomplishment. I just didn't want to spend more time repeating what was done right, because I think you know what you've accomplished, and you pulled it off well.

Battle of Wits

https://vimeo.com/177820870

I had fun with this one. The music was appropriate, and the graphical style amused me with its novelty, though it wouldn't work out a second time. There was a lot of cohesion here in that the graphics felt appropriate for the storyline and the games felt appropriate for the protagonist. Not only that, but they were decent puzzles.

It was a very good idea to include a Skip button, as that ensures that people who are interested keep playing even though they got stuck. And I must say I made heavy use of Grandpa's Intuition. Once because I needed the hint, and the other times because I found an amusing logical bug with your implementation in the nonograms. I think it's best presented in the video, because I was delighted to confirm my Programmer's Intuition.

I think this game is a good example of doing a lot with a little. The graphics weren't complicated (nor, I presume, difficult to create), the puzzles were simple, and the music was outsourced. But they all tie together nicely into a pleasant little experience that felt like it was exactly what it was supposed to be.

Lou-ny Balloony

https://vimeo.com/177821313

Wonderful coherence. This definitely brings me back to my gameboy days, though the resolution is likely higher. Graphics, mechanics, music and sounds are all top-notch. I especially like that the number of balloons you have and the number of feathers you have actively affect the physics. In fact, I go a little overboard collecting feathers, even though it makes it much more difficult to control. That stuff was all fun.

The one part where you fall a little short, and this comes across in the video, is communicating what one is capable of. I didn't read the instructions upfront (I suspect many people don't), so the increasingly frustrating area of game design these days is making it clear what one can or could do in-game without growing tedious. Your first exposure of something interesting is that bouncy ball with three stars on it. In my first exposure to it, I didn't realize it had to be hit three times (nor did I think about fast-falling), so by the time I bounced on it I couldn't have popped it nor collected its feathers. This causes me to die right before the first checkpoint, and that's slightly backward design -- you introduce a new form of interaction which could result in a death, but you do it before a save point instead of after. So then I have to go through all the easy stuff again just because there was a breakdown in implicit communication.

Also, everything else in the game that you can bounce on just reacts to you landing on top of it, or at least that was my impression. But that did not appear to be the case with the cloud boss. It doesn't come across well in the video but I got the impression that I tried just landing on him once or twice and he was unaffected -- I think the first time he may have just been not vulnerable yet so I went through him and the second time either my angle wasn't quite right or maybe he doesn't get hurt unless you press down. But I quickly came under the false impression that landing on him was not the way to hurt him, then I spent the rest of my playthrough just waiting for him to present some means of hurting him. In many games bosses will only be vulnerable temporarily, or need to have their own attacks used against them. In my case I think allowing me to bounce off the top of the cloud when he wasn't yet vulnerable would have prevented the implicit miscommunication, but that's twice now where I the player didn't understand what you the developer intended for me, and the second time killed my interest in the run. Which is unfortunate, because it looks like there was more content I had yet to experience, and the game was shaping up to be an enjoyable gameplay experience.

I'm going to give a little more credit to the game design on this one -- I don't think I've encountered a floaty game that has that degree of flexibility to the physics before. And I find it interesting that I can completely optionally control my lift by collecting extra, unnecessary feathers, leading to a challenge mode of sorts for those who want it but also allowing each individual player to tailor their controls to their liking through an in-game interaction. That's clever.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Grandfathered In public build updated!

- removed bug that had the outfit window automatically open after every event (which also was confusing when the help screen pops up during the first week)
- made most all events a good bit easier to pass
- added Linux version

https://floteam.itch.io/grandfathered-in

Thanks for the good comments during the Gong Show last night, you guys! I was afraid it wasn't very well suited for the show, but I was thrilled that you guys gave us the full ten minutes and seemed to enjoy it (minus the annoyance of having to play through full scenes again)

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Hammer Bro. posted:

Big reviews

Hey! Thanks for reviewing a lot of people's games like this. It was really interesting to watch someone play my game (battle of wits). Sorry if the crossword clues were a bit difficult, I really wanted to use the actual crossword and most of the clues were really tricky haha. Also good job on spending 30 seconds skipping a puzzle :)

I got a lot of my screenshots from A Beautiful Mind and that recent one about Bletchley Park. Had to take one out because it was too-obviously Benedict Cumberbatch! It was still a fair bit of work making them look ok after going through the algorithm but I can't draw for poo poo so I don't mind that.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I finally got around to posting a public-facing build of PUNCH FI6HT: ALIVE AND KICKING. It's Mac-only, since the two members of our three-member team who use Windows machines are both unable to put a Windows build together.

Here's the jam page: http://www.awfuljams.com/big-awful-2016/games/punch-fi6ht-alive-and-kicking

POST-MORTEM: This was probably the best-scoped game I've ever designed for a SA jam. We had a programmer, an environmental artist/level designer, and a dedicated audio engineer, all of whom are very competent. The game was scoped such that we could get a solid build out in the first two weeks and spend the rest of the time polishing and expanding. Everything was set to be perfect.

All three members of our team spontaneously got massively overburdened at work. One of us just straight-up couldn't contribute anything, one of us only got as far as setting up player movement, and our third member was left with basically 5 half-days at the very end of the jam to do a month's worth of work. At this point, we were in too deep to throw what we had out, and we couldn't figure out how to scope back our already very minimal set of mechanics, so we kinda just powered through. The mechanics (especially the AI!) are all very solidly implemented and tested, but the single, incomplete level was built in literally an hour and a half on the last day of the jam... which is a huge problem, since a stealth game is only as good as its level design.

We didn't hit the Wall of Shame, which is the best thing about PUNCH FI6HT: ALIVE AND KICKING.

:shepicide:

For future jams, I'm planning on designing and making games that can be submitted after the first weekend. Anything that doesn't get done by then gets knocked off the feature list, and everything else just gets polished. That way, if I get knocked down to a handful of days over the month, I'll still have something solid.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
What can we do to publicize this thing more? The new infrastructure is very nice and it the jam is better organized than it used to be, but I feel like it gets less attention than it used to! Then again, that could be due to a larger cultural shift (sa is a dying forum that nobody cares about) rather than the jam itself...

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 6, 2016

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Make better entries :v:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Aww, gong show though my game was such garbage that they didnt even try playing it.

That hurts pretty bad, all the posts in this thread with good comments had gotten my hopes up this year and boy were those shattered. :(

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Sounded like the judge liked it pretty well though.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

If you like videogames you will definitely like YWDH*. That's why I spent time recording our Post Morty in video form for easy consumption and I made builds for all platforms! I suggest you play the game for yourself before it gets featured tonight on the Gong Show, but if you don't, fingers crossed.

*This is not true.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

GlyphGryph posted:

Aww, gong show though my game was such garbage that they didnt even try playing it.

That hurts pretty bad, all the posts in this thread with good comments had gotten my hopes up this year and boy were those shattered. :(

Except we did play it on the Gong Show?

https://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev/v/81969727?t=41m46s

edit: Unless you meant we didn't put enough effort into understanding the game, you should listen to Everdraed's comments after the game got gonged as it's a painfully obtuse game. No way we were going to understand those systems within 10 minutes.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 6, 2016

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I didn't spoil too much for myself but it sounded interesting (that's the two-player multiplayer one, right?). I already roped somebody into it, but this weekend is going a little weird so far.

blastron posted:

It's Mac-only
Sorry in advance for nobody playing your game :mmmhmm: Seriously, though, I'd still like to see a video if you've got one!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Thank you to everyone who took the time to play my game and provide feedback. I ended up scrapping my dev post mortem in progress and writing a new one because what I thought I did well and what I thought I did not before last night is now completely different from what I think now that I've gotten some detailed constructive criticism, and my conclusions upon reflecting on why those were so different was my big lesson from this jam.

:frogsiren: Developer's Development Post-Mortem :frogsiren:

It looks like the single biggest gameplay design flaw is that I didn't make it clear you can only fight one character per day and that after that you have to sleep to progress. Addressing that is such a small change - fixing it would take just a half hour - but if I'd had the foresight to do that before the end of the jam, then everyone would have had a better time. Chernabog suggested in the last week of the jam that I address this specific issue so I added it to the pile of todos at the lowest priority and proceeded to get to it never. This design flaw isn't a case of "oh, it's not my best work because I ran out of time~" -- it really didn't occur to me until last night that this was a big problem. Other issues, like how many battles were needed to beat the game not being clear enough, have the same root cause.

Small insights like that are one of the reasons I really value being able to put my work through the crucible of these jams. Do they teach you these things when you major in CS? I've only been programming for a bit less than two years. I'm self-taught and work in enterprise, not gamedev. All I know about game design is stuff I observe from games I play and any feedback I can manage to get.

I put a lot of thought into the game's story and script, which was challenging and somewhat risky, given its content and unconventional style, so it was painful to realize that by fumbling on the user experience, for a significant number of players I rendered my work on the story basically pointless. The golden rule of gamedev seems to be "gameplay first" but I have a tendency to pick a theme in the literary sense that I want to develop and then use the game as a medium for communicating that theme. I still think that my way isn't intrinsically "wrong" but it's really hit home for me in this jam that I need to get stronger at designing a good gameplay experience for my literary ambitions to even come across.

I could write more about learning Unity on the fly but I think it would come down to specific technical things that don't have much to do with critical choices. Yes if I knew the framework as well as I know XNA, a bunch of things would be more polished. In that regard what wasn't done well comes down to inexperience with the specific framework. That's the area where I do say "oh, it's not my best work because I ran out of time~" and and further reflection probably isn't of much benefit to the community at large.

At any rate, I do feel a very real sense of accomplishment in making it to the finish line. Thank you to everyone who has played Lotería del Adiós, the first ever game submitted to this jam whose lead developer was me.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Doom Goon posted:

Sorry in advance for nobody playing your game :mmmhmm: Seriously, though, I'd still like to see a video if you've got one!

Basically the reason why I haven't spent the 6+ hours it would take to set up a Windows dev environment and package up a build is because I am so unenthusiastic about people playing the game. I'll probably make a video, because at the very least it should go into my portfolio as a "hey, look, I built a really solid stealth AI" thing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

JonTerp posted:

Except we did play it on the Gong Show?

It was on the gong show and was talked about, it wasnt actually played though.

RE:Edit:
I'm not saying I dont understand why they didn't, its not exactly a good looking bite sized crowd pleaser style game, and it wasnt very polished. This is not a criticism of the show or judging, and I was glad to hear it talked about and the judge's (Everdraed I think?) commentary and criticism was good, just personally disappointing to see the non-platformer equivalent of loading things up, jumping into a pit, and then turning it back off to talk about how megaman was a good platformer we should take design cues from.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 6, 2016

NeekBerm
Jun 25, 2004

Who are you calling chicken?

College Slice
I really appreciate all the feedback I got.

I went down a fairly safe road this time around, so next time I'm going to shoot for something a bit more physics. That way, I can crater into a big hot dumpster fire like the rest of us.

Walking with Gramps Post Mortem

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I'm sure all the devs appreciate the judges taking time out of their lives to play/review/stream these games, but games like Glyph's could be made note of before the Gong Show by their respective judge.

In this case Everdraed could have hopped into a game with JonTerp and had a run through of it. Even if it's not strictly pre-planned and 10 minutes isn't enough time for JonTerp to learn everything necessary about the game it could still be more illustrative of the experience.

I get that having JonTerp play every game blind is useful and fun for these streams but having a more planned approach could also be cool. Less "what is this game like for everyone" and more "here's what this game is". In that case it would be ideal for each judge to be the one actually playing and makes streaming way more difficult, I guess, but also doesn't leave any devs feeling unfairly misrepresented.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Speaking of playing blind:

Grumpy Grandpa

I did a video playthrough of your game. But first my initial complaint: your game would start windowed but without focus, and ask if I wanted fullscreen or not. Most of the time by the time I managed to give focus to the window, it had decided that I did want fullscreen, which I did not want. After four or five attempts I finally got it working in windowed mode (with some clever Alt+Tabbing), set up my recording software to target that window, and started playing.

But as it turned out, there was another fullscreen copy running in the background, so that's what my recording software targeted. Which means you get an audio review instead, which is unfortunate.

http://www.gastronok.com/GrumpyGrandpa.mp3

I had a good time on this one, and I think one of the things it did the best (when compared to other games of a similar nature from this jam) was metering progression and drawing me onward. I knew that something different would be added to the mix each time around, and that was a bit of an impetus. Equally importantly, I realized that each level was about the same width, so I knew about how much level to expect between each checkpoint, so when I did get sent back it wasn't too concerning.

I think most of my other comments are well-made in audio. Other than the options screen kerfuffle, you got what you were going for pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Shoehead posted:

Make better entries :v:

well the theme was grandpa simulator :v:

• Locked thread