Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Josef bugman posted:

Maybe if there was an actual accountability that didn't mean you have to flee the country when you tell people about the bad poo poo your country is doing.

I mean if I found out that where I lived was operating a black site for holding stolen goods and I had proof but I was told you aren't allowed to say anything because you are a government employee, I'd like to hope that I could say it and not have to worry about getting thrown in jail because I had revealed it.

I completely understand about having zero good options in that case but man, Putin's Russia? Just drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Bad Moon posted:

I completely understand about having zero good options in that case but man, Putin's Russia? Just drat.

Very few other countries actually have the power and interest to protect him.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

Buffer posted:

Gotta admit it's tempting to be ok with it. If anyone domestic actually deserves surveillance, spying and general fuckery it's conservatives. Just a hair of the poo poo that was done to labor activists or civil rights leaders. Just a taste of it. Don't need to go full McCarthy or Hoover, but just a drat taste. Their ideology needs to loving die and it'd hard to be upset about the US giving them the ol' commie / labor treatment giving the loving poo poo they pulled and are pulling.

I mean hell, how many people are going to die because the GOP denies climate change?

But, better angels and all that. Gotta be better than them.

Counterpoint: Imagine what Trump would do with the government surveillance apparatus at his command.

Or, say, Ted Cruz in 2020.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

IIRC that LA Times/USC poll is the one where they have a total pool of 2000 people and they poll a few hundred of them each week to see how their attitudes have shifted.

I don't think that methodology is going to hold up, since it seems to keep giving outlier results that are tilted towards Trump.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Mr Interweb posted:

I have a bad feeling that "short circuit" line is going to get a lot of play in the media in the coming days.

It probably will, but that's probably because Donnie will latch onto it and run it into the ground now that he's forbidden from talking about veterans or babies.

Besides, a small brain fart on her part is less damning than the constant stream of virulent diarrhea that's been shooting out of his mouth for the past week, IMO.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Counterpoint: Imagine what Trump would do with the government surveillance apparatus at his command.

This is why the apparatus should be dismantled. Even if you agree with Obama's use of it, it still sets the precedent that the government should have that kind of power and then if a Republican is given that power, whoops. Much safer than just relying on the GOP to blow the presidential election every four years.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Buffer posted:

Gotta admit it's tempting to be ok with it. If anyone domestic actually deserves surveillance, spying and general fuckery it's conservatives. Just a hair of the poo poo that was done to labor activists or civil rights leaders. Just a taste of it. Don't need to go full McCarthy or Hoover, but just a drat taste. Their ideology needs to loving die and it'd hard to be upset about the US giving them the ol' commie / labor treatment giving the loving poo poo they pulled and are pulling.

I mean hell, how many people are going to die because the GOP denies climate change?

But, better angels and all that. Gotta be better than them.

There's been vague talk of using RICO to dig into whether fossil fuel companies are conspiring to spread inaccurate counter-narrative on Climate Change, right? I've seen some rightist screaming about vague stuff in the news about it, "Obama muzzles dissent" and all. Won't *somebody* think of the astroturfers?

More directly, remember a couple years ago when some right-wing "taxes are immoral" groups got special examination from the IRS to see if they happened to be cheating on these taxes that they rant about, and the right-wing blogosphere threw a fit about singling them out, even though basically "don't pay taxes" was pretty much these organizations' whole schtick?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Just to keep everything in perspective about the "short circuit" thing, when there was some kind of a threat at a Trump rally, he almost knocked the podium over in terror

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNelSuoHzlI

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

SedanChair posted:

The most annoying thing to me about Trump's campaign is how it will set expectations as low as they can be for the Hillary administration. Whatever she does, there will always be sycophants who whine "I suppose you would have preferred Donald Trump."

I though the worst thing about his campaign was emboldening white nationalists across the country, but hey I guess a liberal being snide with you is just as bad.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rygar201 posted:

I though the worst thing about his campaign was emboldening white nationalists across the country, but hey I guess a liberal being snide with you is just as bad.

Well it's possible and appropriate to violently suppress white nationalists, whereas this lowering of standards will be more permanent.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Yeah, I never got the whole "well people will believe you more if you are dead!" Arguement, because I'd kind of want to stay amongst the land of the living.

Dead people are more useful to causes, being alive to speak for yourself is a liability.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Leaving aside the fact that Japan has been sending support all through our post 9/11 tromps through the middle east, what the gently caress is Japan even going to do if someone attacks the US? The US has more military than the next seven nations combined. We have more than half of all the aircraft carriers in the world and more than 10 times the nuclear weapons of any country other than Russia. We're good. But, by all means get pissed that Japan has a constitutional constraint on foreign war which we pretty much put in there when we redid their whole government thing post WWII.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Bad Moon posted:

I know. But "Devil and the deep blue sea" and all that. I'd prefer it if he went off grid and lived in the wilderness for a while but, well, I know I'd certainly not want to do that.

sleeptalker posted:

Dead people are more useful to causes, being alive to speak for yourself is a liability.

It's sad how true that is. The thing that aggravates me the most is people who want others to die solely so that they can have something to follow

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

-double post-

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

sleeptalker posted:

Dead people are also useful to the powers that be

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Yea, I'm not sure where else Snowden was supposed to go? The PRC? The DPRK? There aren't a lot of states left that would even try to resist the US grabbing him, much less have the ability to.

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I don't think you really understood what I said. Short of a new church commission or some such, the US internal intelligence apparatus is going to exist in its current, if not an expanded, form on both January 20, 2017 and January 20, 2021. So, that's going to be the case should they take power.

I'd love to see it dismantled, don't see that as in the cards.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gyges posted:

Leaving aside the fact that Japan has been sending support all through our post 9/11 tromps through the middle east, what the gently caress is Japan even going to do if someone attacks the US? The US has more military than the next seven nations combined. We have more than half of all the aircraft carriers in the world and more than 10 times the nuclear weapons of any country other than Russia. We're good. But, by all means get pissed that Japan has a constitutional constraint on foreign war which we pretty much put in there when we redid their whole government thing post WWII.

Caveat: more military /spending/. Our military right now is all volunteer, with the ability to draft if needed.

Though I wonder how much of that spending is on the F-35.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

Yeah see, this is exactly the point, annoying != the worst

unless you're a snide liberal I guess where being annoyed might actually be the worst thing you ever experience

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Okay, even if Snowden is supposedly not a traitor what did his release actually do? There hasn't been some revolution where people have been locking down their electronic devices or even any real kind of visible reform. What difference did he make besides making the intelligence agencies aware of making sure they hire less libertarian retards and Obama had to give some milquetoast "trust me" speech?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Before Snowden, I thought that allegations of massive, secret government surveillance programs were the realm of tin foil hat wearers.

It's entirely possible that I'm a moron who wasn't paying attention, though.

It was pretty much in the realm of tin foil hat wearers. Nobody could possibly believe the NSA was irradiating people with 1kW of radiofrequency energy at short range to activate a built-in chip along the wire of your monitor to see what you're doing.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

fits my needs posted:

Okay, even if Snowden is supposedly not a traitor what did his release actually do?

Nothing you'd like.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Didn't it end that data collection program of US citizens cell phones?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

fits my needs posted:

Okay, even if Snowden is supposedly not a traitor what did his release actually do? There hasn't been some revolution where people have been locking down their electronic devices or even any real kind of visible reform. What difference did he make besides making the intelligence agencies aware of making sure they hire less libertarian retards and Obama had to give some milquetoast "trust me" speech?

revealed how many liberals like yourself are insane nationalists who reflexively lash out any time someone says "America bad"

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
There will always be snide liberals in a superpositional state of both annoying and annoyed.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

rscott posted:

revealed how many liberals like yourself are insane nationalists who reflexively lash out any time someone says "America bad"

T...Ted Rall, is that you?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SedanChair posted:

Nothing you'd like.

Are you that poster who pretends to be a black guy to give your posts more weight?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

fits my needs posted:

I like how nothing being done reflects badly on Snowden and not, y'know, the system

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Speaking of Snowden and leaking stuff to the world at large:

https://twitter.com/DrJillStein/status/761972775426793472

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUCnjlTfXDw&t=801s

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Josef bugman posted:

Maybe if there was an actual accountability that didn't mean you have to flee the country when you tell people about the bad poo poo your country is doing.

I mean if I found out that where I lived was operating a black site for holding stolen goods and I had proof but I was told you aren't allowed to say anything because you are a government employee, I'd like to hope that I could say it and not have to worry about getting thrown in jail because I had revealed it.

Why would the government try and enforce whistleblower laws in cases against themselves? That just fucks them over. They're never gonna admit weakness and will do any hypocritical thing to keep themselves in power.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

iospace posted:

Caveat: more military /spending/. Our military right now is all volunteer, with the ability to draft if needed.

Though I wonder how much of that spending is on the F-35.

About $23.5 billion per year in 2070 dollars(assuming the program's life is 2006-2070). So if we go ahead and knock off $24 billion from the US Defense spending, it's still $5 billion more than the total of the other countries.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Why would the government try and enforce whistleblower laws in cases against themselves? That just fucks them over. They're never gonna admit weakness and will do any hypocritical thing to keep themselves in power.

Because it's the right thing to...

You know even I can't finish that sentiment. It'd be nice if that was the case though, and a stronger case could probably be made by someone smarter than me.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

fits my needs posted:

Are you that poster who pretends to be a black guy to give your posts more weight?

Thanks for making this post, everyone who's ever made it has turned out to be or already obviously was a huge loving idiot, so thanks for making it clear for everyone.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

loving savage :drat:

The Hillary Campaign's attack ad game is on point, and it's just "Literally state what Trump has said and done"

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Mr Interweb posted:

I have a bad feeling that "short circuit" line is going to get a lot of play in the media in the coming days.

Hillary really couldn't have said anything dumber. She sucks at handling the email stuff and then just made it worse.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Lemming posted:

Thanks for making this post, everyone who's ever made it has turned out to be or already obviously was a huge loving idiot, so thanks for making it clear for everyone.

An apologist for ending civil liberties who assumes any black person who talks back to him must be faking blackness just to piss him off. You so rarely see the Full Zoux pulled out these days!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

fits my needs posted:

You just said the secret word!!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Hillary really couldn't have said anything dumber. She sucks at handling the email stuff and then just made it worse.

The election might as well be on hold until the Olympics are over. It's a non-starter.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

weekly font posted:

The election might as well be on hold until the Olympics are over. It's a non-starter.

I think that softens it a little bit but it's still a stupid gently caress up, especially since there's already a ton of conspiracy theories about her having had strokes and seizures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It's not great that she can't seem to be able to put the emails to bed, or rather, keeps stepping into it in awkward ways. She probably knows and feels personally that the whole thing is bullshit and essentially saw Comey's statement as vindication but she needs to find a better tone to approach the issue. Given that this is the only chink in her armour I hope the campaign spends time honing the response.

I guess part of it is that the media clings onto it because there's nothing else while Trump is a walking disaster.

• Locked thread