Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Yinlock posted:

loving savage :drat:

The Hillary Campaign's attack ad game is on point, and it's just "Literally state what Trump has said and done"

He's the gift that keeps on giving. Now all she has to do is keep him firmly attached to the main Republicans so they feel the full weight of his failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

SedanChair posted:

You just said the secret word!!

I thought the secret word was Radical Islam becOH poo poo

*disappears in a puff of smoke*

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Antti posted:

Given that this is the only chink in her armour I hope the campaign spends time honing the response.

"Only?"

Hahahahahaha. Like, I'm all for Hillary, but you know that there's literally dozens of things that Donald can use against her, even if basically all of them are bullshit. Even if the email issue magically went away, there's still Mr. Ben Ghazi.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

WampaLord posted:

"Only?"

Hahahahahaha. Like, I'm all for Hillary, but you know that there's literally dozens of things that Donald can use against her, even if basically all of them are bullshit. Even if the email issue magically went away, there's still Mr. Ben Ghazi.

Trump word salad does not equal an actual weakness. The polls showed and show that the email thing did hurt her because it plays right into her insider-ness and untrustworthiness. If the narrative sticks to experience, temperament and commander-in-chief quality she's gonna win. If it becomes establishment v. anti-establishment it might become a problem.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Are the basement dwelling Snowden/Assange apologists still here?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Antti posted:

It's not great that she can't seem to be able to put the emails to bed, or rather, keeps stepping into it in awkward ways. She probably knows and feels personally that the whole thing is bullshit and essentially saw Comey's statement as vindication but she needs to find a better tone to approach the issue. Given that this is the only chink in her armour I hope the campaign spends time honing the response.

I guess part of it is that the media clings onto it because there's nothing else while Trump is a walking disaster.

The chink in her armor is that she lies casually and later when it's time to "clarify her statement" she never gives any indication that she comprehends what truth is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn_PSJsl0LQ

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Antti posted:

Trump word salad does not equal an actual weakness. The polls showed and show that the email thing did hurt her because it plays right into her insider-ness and untrustworthiness. If the narrative sticks to experience, temperament and commander-in-chief quality she's gonna win. If it becomes establishment v. anti-establishment it might become a problem.

It amuses me that you posted that the email thing is "the only chink in her armor" and then immediately followed it up with a post containing two more things that could reasonably be considered chinks in her armor.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Casimir Radon posted:

Fascinating move to lump the two together

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
I didn't think US journalists/presenters called people out like this:

Carl Paladino: "I know which side you're on ma'am."

Joy: "Not Vladimir Putin's."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apKqRFmrydY

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

PST posted:

I didn't think US journalists/presenters called people out like this:

Carl Paladino: "I know which side you're on ma'am."

Joy: "Not Vladimir Putin's."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apKqRFmrydY

seeing carl "rotting fester addams but with more bestiality" paladino yelled at on national television warms my cold heart

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Casimir Radon posted:

Not like panopticon police state apologists. They live in the attic.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

iospace posted:

Speaking of Snowden and leaking stuff to the world at large:

https://twitter.com/DrJillStein/status/761972775426793472

loving lol of course the Greens would support an accused rapist.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bad Moon posted:

I completely understand about having zero good options in that case but man, Putin's Russia? Just drat.

He would have had more good options if he hadn't decided to reveal it was him who leaked stuff before he got ensconced somewhere decent.

Freakazoid_ posted:

It was pretty much in the realm of tin foil hat wearers. Nobody could possibly believe the NSA was irradiating people with 1kW of radiofrequency energy at short range to activate a built-in chip along the wire of your monitor to see what you're doing.

You know you don't need to do that for a lot of consumer monitors, especially the old CRT type but including modern LCDs? Van Eck phreaking CRTs across the street could already be done for under $1000 in the mid-2000s, and for LCDs the extra equipment only bumped the cost to like $2500. Plus this methodology has been available since 1985, it was widely published. Check Markus Kuhn's paper from 2006 or so for how to do it with modern panels - he was able to read an umodified laptop's screen from ~80 feet away with consumer equipment.

I swear it's like freaking out that someone can get into your house if they spend 5 hours picking your front door lock while ignoring that you had window wide open on the side without even a screen in the way.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

WampaLord posted:

"Only?"

Oh yes, I'm sure the American electorate is just champing at the bit to hear more about Benghazi

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
as a political junkie who obsessively tracks dozens of right wing blogs, i hear about benghazi all the time. it must be catching on with the populace!!!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Benjamin Ghazi will have his revenge.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Seeric posted:

This was posted on Donald Trump's Twitter account and for once it seems to have some actual weight behind it:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/761757988516401153

The actual data used in the article comes from here, which seems reliable and authentic as far as I can tell: https://www.majorcitieschiefs.com/index.php
This obviously comes with a few caveats. The data is only based on crime in major cities, crime isn't going up in every city, not every type of crime is on the rise in major cities (though homicide is and that's always the big one), the data doesn't take reports from every single agency into account, the data is still only for the first half of 2016 (though it does look like most things were up in their 2015 vs 2014 data), and all of this is coming after an overall significant decrease in crime. Still, a lot of voters live in cities and the message of "violent crime is on the rise in the place where you and your family live even though Obama says he's made you safer" is a strong one and the data provided this time around appears to be from a more authentic source than something on par with the National Enquirer.
Making comparisons to historic lows is sketchy - almost like they are looking to find an increase.
Comparing partial data to complete data is sketchy, though it might be no big deal.

Looking at crime in absolute numbers instead of as rates is not just sketchy, it's dishonest - big cities are growing in population, even more rapidly than the country as a whole.

There are many ways to look at given data: I just went to the source and looked at homicide data for the first half of 2016 and first half of 2015, and of the 60 cities surveyed, 36 showed increases and 24 showed decreases. This is not statistically significant, even before considering what we should expect from growing populations. Now, the test I did isn't the best one - it's just the one I can do in my head while phone-posting and rocking my baby to sleep, so don't go quoting me and thinking that my analysis is definitive. And it may be that the overall increases are significant even after taking population into account - I just can't do that analysis here right now.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno I just enjoy that "TRUMP WAS RIGHT ABOUT SOMETHING" is apparently a legit news story now.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Wrap it up Ryanailures, the ever-relevant Sarah Palin has endorsed Harley-ridin', tattooed, arm-wrestling patriot Nehlen:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/08/05/politics/sarah-palin-endorsement-paul-nehlen/index.html?client=safari

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I really don't think the Benghazi thing does anything to her. The only people who care about Benghazi are so far up the Republican rear end in a top hat they think Hillary is killing people who displease her every other day Darth Vader style.

Which is funny because if Clinton didn't stop Benghazi with her magic state department ninjas why the hell didn't Republicans use them when 'Bin Ladin Determined To Strike in US'?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Jimbozig posted:

Making comparisons to historic lows is sketchy - almost like they are looking to find an increase.
Comparing partial data to complete data is sketchy, though it might be no big deal.

Looking at crime in absolute numbers instead of as rates is not just sketchy, it's dishonest - big cities are growing in population, even more rapidly than the country as a whole.

There are many ways to look at given data: I just went to the source and looked at homicide data for the first half of 2016 and first half of 2015, and of the 60 cities surveyed, 36 showed increases and 24 showed decreases. This is not statistically significant, even before considering what we should expect from growing populations. Now, the test I did isn't the best one - it's just the one I can do in my head while phone-posting and rocking my baby to sleep, so don't go quoting me and thinking that my analysis is definitive. And it may be that the overall increases are significant even after taking population into account - I just can't do that analysis here right now.

Just do what Trump does and say something like, "the numbers are... well, you wouldn't believe me if I told you, they're outrageous" and then just move on.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FuzzySlippers posted:

I really don't think the Benghazi thing does anything to her. The only people who care about Benghazi are so far up the Republican rear end in a top hat they think Hillary is killing people who displease her every other day Darth Vader style.

Which is funny because if Clinton didn't stop Benghazi with her magic state department ninjas why the hell didn't Republicans use them when 'Bin Ladin Determined To Strike in US'?

I don't know, why didn't Obama stop 9/11 even though he had information pointing to a possible terror attack? :smug:

bush who's that never heard of him shut up

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

A not insignificant portion of people literally believe that, why do you think so many people are still voting for Trump and/or Stein/Johnson despite the fact that every one of them is insane politically

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

stinkles1112 posted:

It amuses me that you posted that the email thing is "the only chink in her armor" and then immediately followed it up with a post containing two more things that could reasonably be considered chinks in her armor.

Again, those fall more in this eternal cloud of less or more ginned-up scandal that hangs around her and has gotten stuck to her over the years. If elected the emails will just be rolled into it. But before that, the emails are an actual concrete thing. We can wax this or that way what her weaknesses are but the emails are the most concrete, most prominent, most attention-getting, most recent weakness, and she needs to do better with it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Passive-aggressive driveby man, awaaaaaaay!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Casimir Radon posted:

Yup!

No but really. Why are you so comfortable with president Trump having all of your dick pics?

sleeptalker posted:

Dead people are more useful to causes, being alive to speak for yourself is a liability.

Actually quite often the opposite is true. Remember, dead people have no way to counter a narrative.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

readingatwork posted:

Yup!

No but really. Why are you so comfortable with president Trump having all of your dick pics?

Why are you so comfortable with the 3 different corporations you uploaded your dick pics to having your dick pics?

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Says the guy named after a Neal Stephenson character

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

fishmech posted:

Why are you so comfortable with the 3 different corporations you uploaded your dick pics to having your dick pics?
I think the potential for abuse and the consequences of that abuse are the obvious differences, or that people are used to being personally exploited for the profit of others but not used to the government monitoring their activities in a passive fashion

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Look at it like this: at this point, having embarrassing poo poo in your internet history is so ubiquitous, the only correct response is to just not care.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FuzzySlippers posted:

Bad things like national deficits and terrorist attacks exist solely to serve the needs of the Party. When the Party needs them not to matter; they do not. When the Party needs them to justify a planned war; they do. When the Party needs them to demonstrate the weakness of a President who is not in the Party, even if that President is following the same policy as the previous fellow - who was in the Party - then they do exactly that.

Do you understand? All events in history exist solely and exclusively to serve the current political needs of the Republican Party of the United States.

It will never ch:sad: oh god who is this orange man and why is he in the Command Center

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

rscott posted:

I think the potential for abuse and the consequences of that abuse are the obvious differences, or that people are used to being personally exploited for the profit of others but not used to the government monitoring their activities in a passive fashion

So you trust corporations to not just immediately hand over the information if the cops/feds/etc come asking? Which immediately leads to the same abuse as if it was just taken in the first place?

I mean hell half of what Snowden "revealed" is precisely how much corporations are willing to just hand anything the government wants over so the government doesn't even need to monitor on their own, just let it sit right there and be rifled through as they need it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Look at it like this: at this point, having embarrassing poo poo in your internet history is so ubiquitous, the only correct response is to just not care.

No one must know about my deviantart searches

No one.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I have a question about the whole NSA spying thing. I've basically always assumed the government had access to your Internet and mobile phone usage.

Does that make me weird for not being really shocked or sympathetic to Snowden's plight? I mean I don't think he should be charged with treason or whatever, but I was never shocked about it, Probably because the government was involved in telecommunications and the Internet from the start, I just assumed that's how it worked. I was never super outraged about the confirmation leak. I just kind of already expected it. This far out from the whole situation I'm having trouble giving a poo poo. Am I weird and /or dumb?

Dirt fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 6, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

FactsAreUseless posted:

I tried that but the FBI took a dim view.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

I mean considering the NSA had been intercepting consumer electronics in transit to install spyware, yeah. The level of surveillance went beyond any reasonable interpretation of the information available before the Snowden leak imo.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Dr Cheeto posted:

I mean considering the NSA had been intercepting consumer electronics in transit to install spyware, yeah. The level of surveillance went beyond any reasonable interpretation of the information available before the Snowden leak imo.

OK that makes sense to me . Definitely unnecessarily shady.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dr Cheeto posted:

Shock as a spy agency specifically tasked with technological spying spies on technology. They were pulling the same stuff back in the cold war, and it was known that they'd do that to their targets. And tons of those targets were of course regular US citizens, they didn't just do it to spooky foreigners in foreign lands.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

fishmech posted:

Shock as a spy agency specifically tasked with technological spying spies on technology. They were pulling the same stuff back in the cold war, and it was known that they'd do that to their targets. And tons of those targets were of course regular US citizens.

Shockingly not everyone shares your blasé attitude towards a indiscriminate and omnipresent intelligence dragnet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

fishmech posted:

So you trust corporations to not just immediately hand over the information if the cops/feds/etc come asking? Which immediately leads to the same abuse as if it was just taken in the first place?

I mean hell half of what Snowden "revealed" is precisely how much corporations are willing to just hand anything the government wants over so the government doesn't even need to monitor on their own, just let it sit right there and be rifled through as they need it.

Nah, you're not reading what I'm saying correctly. My personal belief is that the conventional notion of privacy is outdated and hadn't caught up to reality yet. It's inevitable and something that can't be changed without basically uninventing networked computers. The only safeguards to abuse of that data are cultural, not technological or legal. Most people haven't reconciled themselves with that idea yet and that's why they're up in arms about it.

• Locked thread