Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
she's an actual no poo poo communist tho and is still insignificant in politics on every level ofc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
What good intentions? As I've pointed out before, he was perfectly comfortable defending the Bush administration doing the same poo poo and spewing your standard right wing bullshit and when the party in charge switched to a slightly more left wing one, suddenly he cared. It's incredibly clear that he was a dumbass who was trying to damage the Democrats with the leaks and underestimated the consequences. So he ended up doing the right thing (mostly) for the wrong reasons.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nessus posted:

I hope that even if the Republicans do better than they are on course to do, this will at least put a pretty huge loving crack in the subliminal, "Republicans are always gonna win, no point in fighting or expecting to ever succeed" poo poo I see in a lot of people's assumptions about the world. We started seeing how actually flimsy this system was when Scalia died. Sure, they ain't gone, and they ain't weak, but their mastery of the universe was a real loving thin reed.

All control is till it fractures. And if a gerrymandering cases goes before a new SC? Well who the gently caress knows then.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Jill Stein would be able to easily end the vaccine thing by making a statement in support of vaccines without any qualifications or equivocation.

Something as simple as: "Vaccines are a critical part of basic healthcare, and I fully endorse the CDC vaccine schedule."

She could even do: "I have serious concerns about the influence that industry has within the FDA and CDC, but that should not be interpreted as distrust of vaccines. Vaccinate yourself and vaccinate your children."

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Jill Stein would be able to easily end the vaccine thing by making a statement in support of vaccines without any qualifications or equivocation.

Something as simple as: "Vaccines are a critical part of basic healthcare, and I fully endorse the CDC vaccine schedule."

She could even do: "I have serious concerns about the influence that industry has within the FDA and CDC, but that should not be interpreted as distrust of vaccines. Vaccinate yourself and vaccinate your children."

That would destroy her base though. And why would someone ever put the well-being of children over their personal political agenda?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

She did in the past, and then she deleted that tweet.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Replace Stein with Sanders and Vaccines with the "destruction of the wealthy" for similar effect.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Why piss off your party's most vocal supporters in order to court lowlikelihood voters who will abandon your party the moment their party nominates the cycle's ProgressiveDarling(tm)?

I mean, besides being a decent human being?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Yinlock posted:

That would destroy her base though. And why would someone ever put the well-being of children over their personal political agenda?

Of course, so she won't do it, so this isn't a bullshit issue. She can put this to rest, she just won't.
I'm not going to ask for Jill's vaccine records or proof that she's vaccinated her son. That'd be birther level stuff.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Yinlock posted:

On the other hand, since her base is currently about 5 people, maybe losing it wouldn't really be a big issue.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

fishmech posted:

On the other hand, since her base is currently about 5 people, maybe losing it wouldn't really be a big issue.

It's 5 more than she used to have, that's an infinity% increase. You'd have to be insane or actually moral to throw away massive gains like that.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
As a person who's won two Precinct Committeperson elections, I've technically won the same number of elections for office as Jill Stein.

Edit:

To be fair, Lexington has a population of 31,394. My precinct has a population of about 6000 and I only represent Democrats.

On the other hand, her election was for one precinct out of 9. so she represents about 3-4000 people.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 7, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

fishmech posted:

Uh I'll have you know there were 500 delegates at the Green Party convention, up 50% from expectations. The hype is real!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/232572505238433794

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

6 August 2012

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Motto posted:

6 August 2012

Four years ago today. :patriot:

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
lol

@JYSexton
Stein says the Green Party has been reaching out to Bernie Sanders for five years with no response. Says she thought he "would've learned"

Idk how to embed tweets

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

UberJew posted:

Gloria La Riva is super cool, actually, unlike Jill Stein and the homeopathy party

Unfortunately, as long as the US has it's Executive and Legislative power split in a first past the post system of single member districts, all 3rd parties fielding a candidate for President of the United States are dumb and bad.

Run for Congress, run for your various levels of State legislative offices. poo poo, run for municipal, county, and state level executive positions. Just don't run for President, because that's dumb as poo poo given our political system.

If you wanna have your party win the Presidency, you've got to have enough built up power throughout the rest of the system to actually let them do something other than siphon votes from the actually viable political party closest to you in ideology. You've got to Highlander the hell out of one of the two major parties.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

fishmech posted:

The reason it wasn't valuable is because it has already been largely forgotten, just like the last 20 leaks and revelations before him.

Most people have a political attention span of about five minutes, that doesn't equate to nothing matters.

readingatwork posted:

Morality aside why is either of these things inevitable? Globalization can be easily reversed with new tariffs, laws and trade restrictions. Likewise the surveillance state can be ended tomorrow with a few new laws and a requirement that all public communication be encrypted. We could also completely defund the CIA/NSA if we wanted. This is very much within our power.

Reversing globalization would be an utter disaster, and completely undesirable. The problem with globalization isn't globalization, it's mismanagement thereof.

You're also ignoring the concept of political will, which is what I was referring to. It's pedantic to say "it would be easy, we could do it tomorrow," because you know that the ability to does not equate to the desire to, and the desire to keep the surveillance state in place goes deeper than the politicians. Depending on how you phrase the question, you can probably get more than fifty percent of Americans to condone it for the same reason no one is clamoring to get rid of the TSA: security theater.

I don't believe the political will to end the surveillance state will be there within our lifetimes, if ever, and I'd rather focus on things that are more actively, presently harmful and important. If other progressives disagree, then they're free to stand up against it. But I care more about labor and environmental causes, among other things.

Realistically if the NSA and CIA went away tomorrow, would the average American even notice?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pastrymancy posted:

lol

@JYSexton
Stein says the Green Party has been reaching out to Bernie Sanders for five years with no response. Says she thought he "would've learned"

Idk how to embed tweets

if you post a link to the tweet, the forums will autoembed it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pastrymancy posted:

lol

@JYSexton

Idk how to embed tweets

Click the three dots below the tweet, hit Copy Link To Tweet and just link it wholesale, SA magic does the rest.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lightning Knight posted:

Realistically if the NSA and CIA went away tomorrow, would the average American even notice?

No, but it's for the same reason that none of them are ever going to support your desire to make them go away, you realize?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

fishmech posted:

No, but it's for the same reason that none of them are ever going to support your desire to make them go away, you realize?

In part, yes. But also because, in part, the NSA and CIA realistically will never have a negative impact on the vast majority of Americans' lives.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hillary should retweet this on it's quadrennial day.

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/762003451584745472

Hillary's twitter person really should get a fat stack of cash as a bonus at the end of this race.

Pastrymancy posted:

lol

@JYSexton

Idk how to embed tweets

Just copy and past the tweet's url into your post, and the forum will transform it once you hit post.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Josef bugman posted:

All control is till it fractures. And if a gerrymandering cases goes before a new SC? Well who the gently caress knows then.

NC's Gerrymandering is the focus of a lawsuit and it's probably the most severe case of it in the country so if Clinton wins and appoints a 5th liberal to the bench maybe we'll see a ruling that rigging representation (at least to some extent) is unconstitutional.

Pastrymancy posted:

lol

@JYSexton

Idk how to embed tweets

Did nobody have the heart to tell her that he did learn, and that's why he ran in the Democratic primary instead of being on a useless Green Party ticket? The Greens want him solely to boost their own status and Sanders probably realized that as well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

NC's Gerrymandering is the focus of a lawsuit and it's probably the most severe case of it in the country so if Clinton wins and appoints a 5th liberal to the bench maybe we'll see a ruling that rigging representation (at least to some extent) is unconstitutional

The worst part of NC's Gerrymandering is the distance they went to then also removing the voting rights of African Americans.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gyges posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/232572505238433794

I wonder if it bugs trump that he has ~3m more followers, but gets less engagement.

Also reminder that 30% of Donald's followers are fake, bought bot accounts.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Nehlen has no chance right? It's hard to imagine this election season getting much better, but Ryan getting primaried from the right with Donald Trump's support might do it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Meat Recital posted:

Nehlen has no chance right? It's hard to imagine this election season getting much better, but Ryan getting primaried from the right with Donald Trump's support might do it.

Last I heard he was losing by around 60%. :allears:

It's hard for me to judge his success because I live in an area that is overwhelmingly supportive of Nehlen. One guy down the street put up a trio of signs that say something to the effect of "Corporations Rule? Open borders? Wage stagnation? Vote Ryan!" and I was like, one of these things is not like the other.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Meat Recital posted:

He has no chance. I'm saying this as someone who lives in Ryan's district (who hates his loving rear end).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

readingatwork posted:

It's one part the government aggressively pushing a narrative and one part defensive reactionary thinking. The idea that an organization as huge and powerful as the US government could also be deeply corrupt and use your personal life against you is pretty scary and it's human nature when presented with a scary idea to aggressively find some way to ignore the info. One such technique is to attack the messenger, which conveniently allows you to disregard anything they say.

Morality aside why is either of these things inevitable? Globalization can be easily reversed with new tariffs, laws and trade restrictions. Likewise the surveillance state can be ended tomorrow with a few new laws and a requirement that all public communication be encrypted. We could also completely defund the CIA/NSA if we wanted. This is very much within our power.

how does that 'reverse' globalization? It cuts the US out from it but it still, ya know, exists.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
We were wondering how they were gonna handle this, welp: No abortions for zika-infected women

Marco Rubio posted:

Sen. Marco Rubio said Saturday that he doesn’t believe a pregnant woman infected with the Zika virus should have the right to an abortion — even if she had reason to believe the child would be born with severe microcephaly.

"I understand a lot of people disagree with my view – but I believe that all human life is worthy of protection of our laws. And when you present it in the context of Zika or any prenatal condition, it’s a difficult question and a hard one," Rubio told POLITICO.
Story Continued Below

"But if I’m going to err, I’m going to err on the side of life."

No funding for Zika of course, either. God has a plan.

It's poo poo like this that makes it really hard not to feed the id.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

UberJew posted:

she's an actual no poo poo communist tho and is still insignificant in politics on every level ofc

Real communists believe in science

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Buffer posted:

We were wondering how they were gonna handle this, welp: No abortions for zika-infected women

No funding for Zika of course, either. God has a plan.

It's poo poo like this that makes it really hard not to feed the id.

This may be a make or break thing for people on the fence on abortion, at least down in Florida.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'm surprised someone hasn't used the super dumb "if you're not doing anything wrong, why are you against data collection" argument yet.

Also I'm on mobile and cba to go back, but to whomever said universal encryption would make this a non-issue: remember that one of the revelations was that the NSA actively weakened a bunch of encryption protocols to make their job easier.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

iospace posted:

This may be a make or break thing for people on the fence on abortion, at least down in Florida.

Oh God, you're right. Maybe not make or break, but it'll definitely be a wedge issue about who is a to blame. Then it'll be a matter of who they can blame the Zika outbreak on. And with Trump spending nothing in targeted ads the dems will control the narrative.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

NC's Gerrymandering is the focus of a lawsuit and it's probably the most severe case of it in the country so if Clinton wins and appoints a 5th liberal to the bench maybe we'll see a ruling that rigging representation (at least to some extent) is unconstitutional.

Did nobody have the heart to tell her that he did learn, and that's why he ran in the Democratic primary instead of being on a useless Green Party ticket? The Greens want him solely to boost their own status and Sanders probably realized that as well.

IIRC Sanders is also pro-vaccination which would make him toxic to the Green base

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Anyone who thinks Snowden wouldn't have been mistreated needs only to look at the treatment of Manning.

Or for that matter the treatment of Snowden in the news media; the federal government published a massive number of outright lies about his conduct, which he would not have been able to address or rebut if incarcerated.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Gyges posted:

Hillary should retweet this on it's quadrennial day.

Hillary's twitter person really should get a fat stack of cash as a bonus at the end of this race.

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/762031235463950336

Tatum Girlparts posted:

how does that 'reverse' globalization? It cuts the US out from it but it still, ya know, exists.

While I doubt the original poster intended it this way...

If Brexit is a contagion and leads to enough nations leaving that the EU folds (very unlikely, imo), a shift in US policy to heavy protectionism would lead to some very interesting intentional impacts, especially if the Chinese economy collapses in the midst of that. It won't "reverse" globalization, but that could certainly slow the trends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Spaced God posted:

I'm surprised someone hasn't used the super dumb "if you're not doing anything wrong, why are you against data collection" argument yet.

Also I'm on mobile and cba to go back, but to whomever said universal encryption would make this a non-issue: remember that one of the revelations was that the NSA actively weakened a bunch of encryption protocols to make their job easier.

Follow that up with all of the hubbub over the government asking Apple to unlock some cell phone and then one day just saying "Nevermind, we didn't need your help after all".

Most of the encryption that people use are based on things like SHA, AES, etc -- all things that the NSA has either developed or at least helped develop. "Well I'll just use some sort of open source encryption algorithm" is usually a bad idea because your average computer programmer doesn't know how to write good encryption software, and your average cryptologist doesn't know how to write secure code. You need to be able to do both extremely well in order to have a system that actually works and that isn't easily breakable.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 7, 2016

• Locked thread