Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

An Israeli firm unlocked the San Bernardino shooter's phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

evil_bunnY posted:

[citation needed]

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

iospace posted:

[citation needed]

http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/274619-israeli-firm-behind-iphone-hack-report

http://time.com/4270151/cellebrite-israel-apple-iphone-fbi/

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Merci!

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Oh God, you're right. Maybe not make or break, but it'll definitely be a wedge issue about who is a to blame. Then it'll be a matter of who they can blame the Zika outbreak on. And with Trump spending nothing in targeted ads the dems will control the narrative.

Rubio to his credit has actually been one of the few in the GOP who has been trying to do something about zika and the spread of zika. His party on the other hand....

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

evil_bunnY posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...26c5_story.html

quote:

The researchers, who typically keep a low profile, specialize in hunting for vulnerabilities in software and then in some cases selling them to the U.S. government. They were paid a one-time flat fee for the solution.

Cracking the four-digit PIN, which the FBI had estimated would take 26 minutes, was not the hard part for the bureau. The challenge from the beginning was disabling a feature on the phone that wipes data stored on the device after 10 incorrect tries at guessing the code. A second feature also steadily increases the time allowed between attempts.

The bureau in this case did not need the services of the Israeli firm Cellebrite, as some earlier reports had suggested, people familiar with the matter said.

The U.S. government now has to weigh whether to disclose the flaws to Apple, a decision that probably will be made by a White House-led group.

It's up to you if you want to believe the "low profile, undisclosed hackers gave us the secret to do it!" story, I guess.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

iospace posted:

This may be a make or break thing for people on the fence on abortion, at least down in Florida.

Ten years from now maybe. But not before they or their children start having to raise and educate a baby deformed by the virus and maybe not even then. It's all part of God's will you see.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Geoff Peterson posted:

It's up to you if you want to believe the "low profile, undisclosed hackers gave us the secret to do it!" story, I guess.
Don't give much of a poo poo either way but Zero day research/trading firms are a (despicable) thing.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Don't give much of a poo poo either way but Zero day research/trading firms are a (despicable) thing.

Also very much a real thing, though, so it certainly plausible.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Republican Rep. Scott Rigell backs Libertarian Gary Johnson.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/scott-rigell-endorses-gary-johnson-226755

That's 1 Republican Rep for Clinton and 1 for Johnson.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

radical meme posted:

Ten years from now maybe. But not before they or their children start having to raise and educate a baby deformed by the virus and maybe not even then. It's all part of God's will you see.

On the other hand this isn't one of those complications that come from being poor or "irresponsible". Precious, innocent, white Christians are just as at risk. Those damnable mosquitoes just can't tell the chosen from the chaff.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/SarahKSilverman/status/762070976871792640

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

evil_bunnY posted:

Of course. I only meant it from the standpoint that the timeline was "We can't do it" -> "These Israeli guys can!" -> "US used Israeli firm!" -> "Nuh-uh, it's a secret group of other people"... and it'd be a touch hypocritical for me to take that as gospel while mocking the hell out of everyone who believes Guccifer2.0 is anything other than a Russian D&D ploy.

Getting more into the weeds on the existence of the groups...while they can certainly be used for nefarious purposes (and it's up to you if you find this alleged use nefarious)-I don't have an issue with the existence of these groups and think the US should be budgeting much more for bounties on undisclosed exploits. Whether it's been sold already or not.

Letting the US government decide whether or not the potential usefulness of an exploit is more important than the possible impacts of criminal/foreign state abuse is a bit gross, but it beats the current market where the highest bidder gets to make that determination. I'd guess that it would be a net gain for InfoSec.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

Follow that up with all of the hubbub over the government asking Apple to unlock some cell phone and then one day just saying "Nevermind, we didn't need your help after all".

Most of the encryption that people use are based on things like SHA, AES, etc -- all things that the NSA has either developed or at least helped develop. "Well I'll just use some sort of open source encryption algorithm" is usually a bad idea because your average computer programmer doesn't know how to write good encryption software, and your average cryptologist doesn't know how to write secure code. You need to be able to do both extremely well in order to have a system that actually works and that isn't easily breakable.

True. Nothing is %100 secure which is why we still need other kinds of protections. You can put a lock on your front door but that won't stop someone good with lock picks or willing to just take a brick to your window. That said the way the NSA has been throwing a poo poo-fit over encryption tells me it still has value (maybe it makes more casual/cheaper forms of spying difficult?), so I'll keep on pushing for it for now.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Rygar201 posted:

I though the worst thing about his campaign was emboldening white nationalists across the country, but hey I guess a liberal being snide with you is just as bad.

Compartmentalization. I know white nationalists are, and will continue to be, a problem post-election. But if Im just thinking about trouble from my own side, centrists assuming a mandate because they rolled over a low-rent Larfleeze and his own interpretation of a white lantern corps is probably the biggest problem there and the one I'm most likely to deal directly with.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Speaking of the white power battery, Looks like Don got another key endorsement!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nessus posted:

Speaking of the white power battery, Looks like Don got another key endorsement!

"Now, if Trump does win, okay, it's going to be a real opportunity for people like white nationalists"

Thanks for the sweet audio clip? What there's no video? Guess we'll just have to go with stock white nationalist photos instead! Darn!

Man to cutting anti-Trump ads right now, that must be a flood of choices! Personally, I would layer this in between the existing "Trump yelling about beating up protesters in the good old days" clips.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

a foolish pianist posted:

It's so crazy to see liberals angry at Snowden. The guy's an American hero.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Trabisnikof posted:

"Now, if Trump does win, okay, it's going to be a real opportunity for people like white nationalists"

Thanks for the sweet audio clip? What there's no video? Guess we'll just have to go with stock white nationalist photos instead! Darn!

Man to cutting anti-Trump ads right now, that must be a flood of choices!

They said it was from a radio program.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

They said it was from a radio program.

Sorry it was sarcasm because since it is a radio clip the audio will have high quality versions but likewise the stylistic conventions for TV allow you to use related stock footage behind the the text of what is being said for key quotes and have it feel newsy still.

So since this idiot said this on his show instead of loving up in a live TV interview, it's going to end up with the audio clip played with nasty white power images in the background rather than some old white dude babbling.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Countdown until DJT retweets this just because it's calling Cruz names.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

readingatwork posted:

True. Nothing is %100 secure which is why we still need other kinds of protections. You can put a lock on your front door but that won't stop someone good with lock picks or willing to just take a brick to your window. That said the way the NSA has been throwing a poo poo-fit over encryption tells me it still has value (maybe it makes more casual/cheaper forms of spying difficult?), so I'll keep on pushing for it for now.

I've been seeing an interesting pushback against encryption advocacy lately, on the premise that it's too often suggested as a silver-bullet or hyped more aggressively than more fundamental and helpful elements of a protection strategy. In your analogy, some see it as advocating for entryway cameras as a major security upgrade when a staggering number of people don't have front doors... and many of those who have doors don't know they need locks.

The best thing Taylor Swift's ever written

there wolf posted:

Compartmentalization. I know white nationalists are, and will continue to be, a problem post-election. But if Im just thinking about trouble from my own side, centrists assuming a mandate because they rolled over a low-rent Larfleeze and his own interpretation of a white lantern corps is probably the biggest problem there and the one I'm most likely to deal directly with.

And if I'm thinking about my own side, I'm thinking that it's going to be liberals, progressives, and leftists constantly hearing about how we're centrists because we didn't find Sanders a compelling candidate for whatever reason and it was a two person race. It's totally possible that the primary was Left vs Left rather than Center vs Left.

Alternatively, just go ahead and claim total victory in the party if this is what you think a centrist tax plan is:
*"Exit Tax"ing unrepatriated corporate assets
*Requiring 50% foreign ownership before a company can leave US Tax Residence (currently 20%)
*Permanently reducing the Estate Tax threshold to $3.5m ($7m for married couples) without indexing for inflation, while raising the top tax rate and setting a lifetime cap of $1m for gift tax exemptions
*Taxing carried interest as ordinary income
*Implementing the Buffet Rule
*Markedly increasing the holding period in which capital gains are taxed as normal income
*Gaining 75% of the $1.1t/$3.2t (10/20 years) in increased tax revenue from the top 1% and nearly all of it from the top 5%

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Here's an interesting article by Matt Taibbi in Rolling Stone where he gets to once again brutalize and mock the editorialist he hates the most, Thomas Friedman, and analyze both parties failure to address the growing unease and concern of everyone in the middle class in response to globalization.

quote:

With regard to the latter, what troubles Friedman the most is the way Hillary is cozying up to her critics on the left:

quote:

She is opposing things she helped to negotiate, like the Pacific trade deal, and offering more benefits from government but refraining from telling people the hardest truth: that to be in the middle class, just working hard and playing by the rules doesn't cut it anymore. To have a lifelong job, you need to be a lifelong learner, constantly raising your game.
Yes, to get by these days, working hard isn't enough to keep a job. You need to be "constantly raising your game." Either that, or you need to marry a shopping mall heiress and write books fawning over Fortune 500 companies.

So according to Friedman, if your mom and dad, or if you, want to remain in the workforce, then you need to both work and constantly re-educate yourself. That's a scary loving thought and expensive as hell if true. Not likely that people outside the upper 10% of the population can actually pull that off.

edit: plus, working hard and playing by the rules is for lazy idiots

radical meme fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 7, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

radical meme posted:

So according to Friedman, if your mom and dad, or if you, want to remain in the workforce, then you need to both work and constantly re-educate yourself. That's a scary loving thought and expensive as hell if true. Not likely that people outside the upper 10% of the population can actually pull that off.

edit: plus, working hard and playing by the rules is for lazy idiots

Wait you think it's scary that if people want to remain in the workforce they need to work? Isn't that the meaning of the term?

But yeah, continuing professional education is a thing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

radical meme posted:

Clearly those people are ordained by God and deserve to have the vast majority of the wealth. And if a tiny fraction of that population is just living off the fat of managed wealth? Why -- are they not more blessed yet?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I don't believe for one second that Friedman thinks about his empty-rear end rhetoric long enough to actually mean anything.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
And it's not necessarily about taking classes or getting further degrees, it's about learning and adapting to new technologies. Which is certainly something that my older co-workers have issues with.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crow Jane posted:

And it's not necessarily about taking classes or getting further degrees, it's about learning and adapting to new technologies. Which is certainly something that my older co-workers have issues with.

I know a boomer who is a pharm D who left their job because the computer system they used confounded them. This is someone who has a doctorate!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The Firearms Policy Coalition is funding a lawsuit against California Legislative Counsel Diane Boyer-Vine claiming that their first amendment right to free speech was violated when Boyer-Vine's office notified WordPress that a post containing the home addresses of California state senators and Assembly members violated state law which prohibits the publication of such.

quote:

On July 5, a blogger who goes by the alias “The Real Right Winger” wrote a post characterizing the legislators as “tyrants” and “legisexuals” for passing laws that the author criticized for thwarting the rights of gun owners. Among them is a law creating a registry to track ammunition sales throughout the state.

The blogger retaliated by posting a “tyrant registry” of 14 senators and 26 Assembly members who voted to approve the gun laws, saying the people listed could be removed in only two ways: by repealing the laws, or by dying.

“These tyrants are no longer going to be insulated from us,” said the blog post, which was reprinted in the court complaint filed Friday.

In response, the state’s deputy legislative counsel, Kathryn Londenberg, sent a letter to Wordpress, which hosts the blog, demanding that it remove the lawmakers’ home addresses.

“Publicly displaying elected officials’ home addresses on the Internet represents a grave risk to the safety of these elected officials,” Londenberg wrote, citing a state law that prohibits people from posting any official’s address or phone number on the Internet.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 7, 2016

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Trabisnikof posted:

Wait you think it's scary that if people want to remain in the workforce they need to work? Isn't that the meaning of the term?

But yeah, continuing professional education is a thing.

He doesn't mean continuing education, he means learn a new trade/profession whenever yours is obsolete. It's rich because Friedman is an immensely useless hack who just married you and now shits out worthless columns for no God damned reason.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Crow Jane posted:

While I am sure there are cranky old sticks in the mud out there, what I'm hearing sounds a lot more like "We actually don't want to train people any more; we would like to make our employees train themselves, on speculation, out of their own funds, and if they don't - or don't make the correct training decisions - we're going to fire them."

It seems like the entire American economy has been reshaped by companies deciding they just don't ever want to train anybody, ever.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Buffer posted:

We were wondering how they were gonna handle this, welp: No abortions for zika-infected women

No funding for Zika of course, either. God has a plan.

It's poo poo like this that makes it really hard not to feed the id.

Rubio is human garbage despite the media trying to paint him as this cool, nice guy. It was obvious when he called the CIA torturers heroes after the report came out about them raping people but he just wants to drive the point home.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Nessus posted:

It seems like the entire American economy has been reshaped by companies deciding they just don't ever want to train anybody, ever.

It basically is. Trying to find a job as a young person with no meaningful job history is deeply pointless feeling. "Part-time" means "we don't want to hire someone full time to do this, so we're going to hire two people at just below the line between full and part-time and make them come in every day," and everyone wants a full resume and job history with prior experience for basic rear end poo poo you can train someone in two weeks to do.

It's rather brilliant, though. Why spend money or pay for benefits for employees who might leave in a year or two when you can just shut out everyone who isn't already pre-trained and desperate enough to do exactly what you want, when you want?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Nessus posted:

While I am sure there are cranky old sticks in the mud out there, what I'm hearing sounds a lot more like "We actually don't want to train people any more; we would like to make our employees train themselves, on speculation, out of their own funds, and if they don't - or don't make the correct training decisions - we're going to fire them."

It is this. It is awful.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Marco Rubio posted:

But if I’m going to err

Yeah I'd loving say so.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nessus posted:

I used to work for a manufacturer who only wanted to hire people that had years experience in a certain software. Software that only one other place we knew of used, meaning the two places would just keep exchanging employees.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The Firearms Policy Coalition is funding a lawsuit against California Legislative Counsel Diane Boyer-Vine claiming that their first amendment right to free speech was violated when Boyer-Vine's office notified WordPress that a post containing the home addresses of California state senators and Assembly members violated state law which prohibits the publication of such.

'legisexuals'

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Rygar201 posted:

It is this. It is awful.

Its cheaper this way and better for them. Worse for everyone else.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rygar201 posted:

He doesn't mean continuing education, he means learn a new trade/profession whenever yours is obsolete. It's rich because Friedman is an immensely useless hack who just married you and now shits out worthless columns for no God damned reason.

Also he doesn't mean work, like actually doing your job. He means work, like doing the job of two and a half people so that the company gets the proper productivity numbers despite the stress and strain that puts on the worker.

So work your rear end off doing more than your job while also keeping up with new technology and being open to completely starting over every few years or so. Don't worry about burning out and causing yourself health issues, it's time for you to completely relearn a new trade and start over from the beginning. Don't know why you keep bitching about the American Dream, you don't have time for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Artificer posted:

Its cheaper this way and better for them. Worse for everyone else.
Cheaper sure, I'd question if it's better in the mid or long run. of course then we have to get American businesses to accept that runs beyond "this quarter, MAYBE next quarter" exist.

• Locked thread