Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The "money laundering" is Clinton Cash level tinfoil stuff. DWS resigned because 1) no one in the party leadership liked her or her performance as chair; 2) she'd become the focus of Bernie supporters' hate of the DNC and was thrown under the bus to appease them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gyges posted:

Candidate Trump has so far, off the top of my head, had news cycles of beef with
  • The Pope
  • Key members of his own party
  • Fire Marshals
  • The grieving parents of a war hero
  • A war hero
  • A baby
  • The media
  • Mexican-Americans
  • Mexican-Mexicans
  • Muslims
  • Women who Roger Ailes sexually assaulted/harassed
  • A handicapped reporter
  • Fox News
  • The State of Iowa
  • Seventh Day Adventists
  • China
  • NATO
  • Japan
  • Korea
  • A Federal Judge
  • Univision
  • Virtually all print media
  • Iran
  • The Club For Growth
  • The wives of his opponents
  • Ted Cruz's father
  • Ruth Bader Ginsburg
  • John Roberts
  • The podium in the oval office. https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/673667868261752833

Donald Trump is a mess.

Thank you for this delightful list.

I think the Fire Marshals should be separate, because one of them saved him from a stuck elevator and Trump showed his gratitude by making GBS threads on the dude hours later and leaving that out is a shame.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...money laundering thing?

Not trolling.

The only money thing I know of is the one where money went from state funds that didn't need it, through the DNC, to state funds that did. Was there an angle I missed there? Did (((DWS))) walk off with (((globalist banker bux))) or something?

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/dnc-leak-shows-mechanics-of-a-slanted-campaign-w430814

Antti posted:

The "money laundering" is Clinton Cash level tinfoil stuff. DWS resigned because 1) no one in the party leadership liked her or her performance as chair; 2) she'd become the focus of Bernie supporters' hate of the DNC and was thrown under the bus to appease them.

Uh... No. The DNC got caught funneling money from local elections to Hillary's campaign by sneaking it through state committees. It's possible that this was technically legal (DWS resigning leads me to believe that it was not), but it showed that the DNC was bending all the rules to make sure Hillary won while they were telling the Bernie camp that they were being impartial and fair and treating anyone who said otherwise like crazy people.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

readingatwork posted:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/dnc-leak-shows-mechanics-of-a-slanted-campaign-w430814

Uh... No. The DNC got caught funneling money from local elections to Hillary's campaign by sneaking it through state committees. It's possible that this was technically legal (DWS resigning leads me to believe that it was not), but it showed that the DNC was bending all the rules to make sure Hillary won while they were telling the Bernie camp that they were being impartial and fair and treating anyone who said otherwise like crazy people.

Here's the incriminating evidence of that article:

quote:

"From: Miranda, Luis
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2016 4:33 PM
To: Maureen Garde; Alvillar, Raul; Dacey, Amy
Subject: FW: Can we use John Zody for TV tomorrow?
"Do we know if the Indiana State Chair is in a good place on the Victory Fund before we book them? Any concerns with helping them get on air? Given the Sanders claim of money laundering I don't want to help book if they're one of the parties that are complaining off the record."
To which Alvillar responds:
"I just talked to him last week. He didn't mention anything to me. Let us check really quick."

"Are these guys paranoid nutjobs spreading poo poo off the record?"
"I dunno let me check"

~scandalous~

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

readingatwork posted:

Uh... No. The DNC got caught funneling money from local elections to Hillary's campaign by sneaking it through state committees.

The article you posted is not actually saying what you think it is saying.

Like "The DNC is unarguably more favorable towards Clinton than Sanders" is true. The rest veers between straight hearsay and taking things out of context.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It was really weird how a guy who joined the Democratic party after 25 years in congress as an independent didn't magically transform half of the DNC apparatchik into Bernie supporters. Unfair.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It was really weird how a guy who joined the Democratic party after 25 years in congress as an independent didn't magically transform half of the DNC apparatchik into Bernie supporters. Unfair.
It's not really about being fair to Bernie Sanders or not, but rather being fair to his supporters. That said, they are apparently getting on board with Hillary in greater numbers than Hillary supporters to Obama in 2008, so I guess they mostly don't mind too much :shrug:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I imagine if he had made even token gestures of enthusiasm towards being in the Democrats he would have gotten more appeal there, though perhaps that would have spoiled his appeal to the Disaffected Masses.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I wish I'd had access to the member list of a bunch of Bernie Sanders Facebook groups throughout the cycle.

I would guess that the more moderate Sanders supporters have been thoroughly scared off from their old Sanders groups by the radical crazies who are basically just posting Breitbart articles and Rothschilds conspiracy stuff.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Trump quotes make a lot more sense when you imagine Zapp Brannigan saying them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I wonder if Trump supporters think Zapp is the cool and good protagonist of Futurama?

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Pakled posted:

On NPR earlier I heard a wonderful interview with an editor of the Daily Caller (an alt-right news site) who responded to the host's assertion that Muslim Americans can be as loyal and patriotic as any other American with statistics about how Muslims are underrepresented in the US military compared to their share of the population while white people are overrepresented. I was so mad that the host didn't press him on that.

I heard it too (Bob Garfield from On the Media interviewing Scott Greer from the Daily Caller.) It seemed pretty clear that the reason Garfield didn't press further was that one, he wasn't going to get any further on that point (the listeners could tell that Greer was trying to dodge with talking points), and two, it was incidental to the main point, of the essential shittiness of trying to smear Mr. Khan as someone who tries to impose sharia on the US, when he isn't selling citizenship to Muslims.

Way more damaging, IMO, was when Garfield pointed out that he same story, with almost identical verbiage, ran in the Daily Caller, the Washington Examiner, and Breitbart. Calling him a hack, and a near-plagiarist? Had to have left a mark.

Here's a link to the interview. Worth a listen

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

These are great.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Gyges posted:

Candidate Trump has so far, off the top of my head, had news cycles of beef with
  • The Pope
  • Key members of his own party
  • Fire Marshals
  • The grieving parents of a war hero
  • A war hero
  • A baby
  • The media
  • Mexican-Americans
  • Mexican-Mexicans
  • Muslims
  • Women who Roger Ailes sexually assaulted/harassed
  • A handicapped reporter
  • Fox News
  • The State of Iowa
  • Seventh Day Adventists
  • China
  • NATO
  • Japan
  • Korea
  • A Federal Judge
  • Univision
  • Virtually all print media
  • Iran
  • The Club For Growth
  • The wives of his opponents
  • Ted Cruz's father
  • Ruth Bader Ginsburg
  • John Roberts
  • The podium in the oval office. https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/673667868261752833

Donald Trump is a mess.

You forgot:

[*]Black protesters at his events
[*]Somali communities in Maine and Minnesota
[*]Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WampaLord posted:

Hey! Be fair. The good Dr. Stein did NOT freak out over radio waves.

She freaked out about WiFi. :downs:

smdh

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

readingatwork posted:

It's the exact same system of fundraising that Obama used and nobody gave a poo poo then. The DNC also set up the same type of fund for Bernie but he didn't use it because he never actually gave a poo poo about supporting downticket Democrats.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The DNC was funneling money to the presidential campaign from the local parties, not to Hillary's campaign. It's because there are things that benefit from centralisation, and because they understand correctly that hitting Trump will be the biggest and best chance the democrats have at winning in Congress.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 7, 2016

Loeb CL
Nov 18, 2011

Pakled posted:

On NPR earlier I heard a wonderful interview with an editor of the Daily Caller (an alt-right news site) who responded to the host's assertion that Muslim Americans can be as loyal and patriotic as any other American with statistics about how Muslims are underrepresented in the US military compared to their share of the population while white people are overrepresented. I was so mad that the host didn't press him on that.

Now, where have I heard that before...?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stereotype posted:

Never forget the double standard most Americans put on Democrats.

Clinton was impeached for a blowjob but Bush wasn't for numerous war crimes and constantly lying to the American people.

Most Americans had a higher opinion of Clinton after that because they thought it was bullshit.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

How long into President Hillary's term before the Republicans try to impeach her? You know they're already plotting it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

bowser posted:

How long into President Hillary's term before the Republicans try to impeach her? You know they're already plotting it.
I assume they will put in the paperwork the very day she is sworn in. I'm not even kidding.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Judging by Giuliani on ABC This Week it looks like Team Rocket is really leaning into this Vilerat's Mom false equivalency re: the Khans.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Judging by Giuliani on ABC This Week it looks like Team Rocket is really leaning into this Vilerat's Mom false equivalency re: the Khans.

Yes it was really terrible when Hillary Clinton spent a week trashing Vilerat's Mom on TV and Twitter.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It depends on how lovely cnn and its ilk try to pretend the speakers and the events they inspired are in any way equivalent.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Radish posted:

It depends on how lovely cnn and its ilk is like any trying to pretend the speakers and the events they inspired are in any way equivalent.

Noted Defense Department Stenographer Martha Raddatz's strategy seems to be to let Rudy go for 30 seconds and then try to put him back on track.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

I assume they will put in the paperwork the very day she is sworn in. I'm not even kidding.

with all the crimes she's committed, fo sho! I don't care what the "facts" say, the bitch is guilty as sin.

reality has a well known liberal bias anyway, so we can unskew things a bit and it will be alright

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

bowser posted:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Nah, its beginning to be classic Republican tactic, proclaim treason and say Obama/Hillary should be impeached, but they do nothing as there is no evidence.
If they had one iota of evidence, they would be shouting it and rushing to be the first to get their name on it.

But no, impeachments and treason are solely only used in the realms of facebook and freep land.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

QuarkJets posted:

Yes yes I'm aware of the open source ideal of "the software will reach a point of perfection because literally anyone can look at and modify the source code!" But that's a double-edged sword, as it is also very easy to subtly compromise open source software, especially when the topic is as poorly-understood among programmers as cryptography often is.

And while there are some great open source projects, the reality is that most of them suck and if you just close your eyes and pick some random open source encryption project off of github then chances are good that you're going to have something lovely and full of vulnerabilities because encryption is legit hard, yo.

No you're not understanding at all. You have to be able to see the algorithm used for encryption to be able to trust it. You can mathematically analyze it yourself, or send it to someone who knows how to, to check for all sorts of weaknesses. You can't do this with products where the encryption algorithms are hidden from you. Some of those happen to be well coded and will actually protect your stuff, but most of the time they're kept hidden because if you knew how they worked it would be very easy to crack stuff "protected" with them.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

They have already dug out the old paperwork from the 90s, and an intern is currently looking for some whiteout so that the necessary words can be updated.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

happyhippy posted:

Nah, its beginning to be classic Republican tactic, proclaim treason and say Obama/Hillary should be impeached, but they do nothing as there is no evidence.
If they had one iota of evidence, they would be shouting it and rushing to be the first to get their name on it.

But no, impeachments and treason are solely only used in the realms of facebook and freep land.

Yeah. Impeachment became a very, uh, how to put it, difficult? thing after they tried with Bill. Newt going on record saying they did it because they could reeked of vindicitiveness and really poisoned the use of it in the voters' minds.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Trump is now going off on Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, and by extension, Baltimore, on Twitter. I'm not crazy for her, but them's fightin' words.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

They won't since they learned their lesson last time but if they ever got enough Republicans in congress to do it she'd be out in a heartbeat.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Crow Jane posted:

Trump is now going off on Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, and by extension, Baltimore, on Twitter. I'm not crazy for her, but them's fightin' words.

Blood coming out of her whereever

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Zwabu posted:

Yes it was really terrible when Hillary Clinton spent a week trashing Vilerat's Mom on TV and Twitter.

But if they point out how this (obviously not happening) is the reason why her speech vanished from the public mind so quickly, why, that wouldn't be objective now would it?!

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Yeah if the Republicans in the Senate are happy to pretend that a President's term is three years for the purpose of SCOTUS, that's not too far from supposing that the President basically serves her term at the pleasure of Congress. They have little more than contempt for the institutions that gird our government and our society - I've no doubt they would stage a military coup if they thought they could get away with it. Impeachment is a given if the GOP holds the House at any point during her Presidency, which is to say, impeachment is a given, if she wins.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
New Morning Consult poll has Hillary up 9 points. This is the second poll they've done post convention with the previous one only having her up by 3.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Kilroy posted:

Yeah if the Republicans in the Senate are happy to pretend that a President's term is three years for the purpose of SCOTUS, that's not too far from supposing that the President basically serves her term at the pleasure of Congress.

This has to be one of the most galling things Republicans have done in recent memory. They didn't even try to sugarcoat it by saying the candidate needed a long vetting process or they were too busy on other stuff. They just straight up said nah, Democratic presidencies last three years now. Deal with it.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

ColdPie posted:

This has to be one of the most galling things Republicans have done in recent memory. They didn't even try to sugarcoat it by saying the candidate needed a long vetting process or they were too busy on other stuff. They just straight up said nah, Democratic presidencies last three years now. Deal with it.
Nah it's about par for them. Don't forget they tried to sabotage the negotiations with Iran not to long ago. They are all literally felons.

It kind of puts Democrats in a tough spot, as well. Do you pull Garland after the election, thus depriving the GOP of the risk-free wager they made on the election result, or do you keep him in, making it bleedingly obvious to anyone paying attention (there are dozens of us!) that all the talk of a "new precedent" was total horseshit?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Kilroy posted:

Nah it's about par for them. Don't forget they tried to sabotage the negotiations with Iran not to long ago. They are all literally felons.

It kind of puts Democrats in a tough spot, as well. Do you pull Garland after the election, thus depriving the GOP of the risk-free wager they made on the election result, or do you keep him in, making it bleedingly obvious to anyone paying attention (there are dozens of us!) that all the talk of a "new precedent" was total horseshit?

I dunno that it's that tough a spot, considering they'll probably get at least one more over the next 8 years. Maybe Republicans will just shorten Dem presidencies to zero years. I mean, who knows what the electorate will want four years from now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Kilroy posted:

What "new precedent"?

• Locked thread