Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

gloominess is WB's solution to everything

"batman movies got ridiculous and over-the-top by Batman and Robin, let's make the new batman dark and broody"

"superman is too much of an unambiguous hero, let's have him destroy most of the city while ostensibly saving it from a supervillain"

"aquaman is widely considered a joke of a comic book hero, let's make him dark and broody"

unless they want to retain none of their audience after the first weekend with their lovely reimaginings, they should start to reconsider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

thathonkey posted:

can you hire critics to give your movie a good review like restaurants on yelp

It's not like there's some sort of film reviewers' guild with tight control over ethics or something. Usually you don't have to bribe or pay a reviewer because you've already given their publisher/website piles of ad money and there's an implicit danger that if you turn in a harsh review when a studio handed you 100k for ads, they might decline to advertise with you in the future. That's how video game reviews work for AAA titles that are poo poo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Y-Hat posted:

"batman movies got ridiculous and over-the-top by Batman and Robin, let's make the new batman dark and broody"Batman and Robin

The 90s Batman movie series should have been an absolute no brainer that kept pumping out massively popular tentpole movies every two years until the heat death of the universe but they somehow managed to kill off this billion dollar franchise with the stinker that was Batman and Robin. The director of B&R had wanted to do a darker, grittier film but the WB suits forced him the in opposite direction and paid the price. WB have been reeling from that blow and running in the opposite direction ever since.

Also note that the '05 Nolan film Batman Begins still didn't make as much money as the '89 Burton Batman but they stuck with it and had gigantic hits with The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises (both of which grossed over a billion dollars) which has completely cemented their 'dark and broody' superhero format. MoS and BvS were a lot less popular than the last two Nolan films and didn't do nearly as well at the box office but I guess they were hoping to replicate the Nolan model where the smaller first film lead into monster billion dollar sequels.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I sort of think DC should have maybe set the their movies in 1910s-1950s.

You do your WWI Wonder Woman movie.
A few pre-WWII Superman and Batman films.
A Justice Society film.
Etc.

You can have lower-powered versions of Batman, WW, Superman, etc. down to levels of power that are amazing to an era of humans where rockets, jets, computers, mass communications aren't commonplace and just a guy knowing ninja skills seems like magic.

edit: Suicide Squad is their WWII movie. The Joker, Riddler, Lex Luthor, Catwoman, etc. are sprung from prison by the OSS and are put to task in a Dirty Dozen type team to infiltrate Nazi Germany to stop Paula von Gunther and her program to create Capt. Nazi.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 7, 2016

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
just gonna leave these here

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

you're right, they struck gold with TDK and TDKR. but WB went back to the well too many times to the point where "dark and brooding" is a punchline

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I saw Suicide Squad last night and the story/pacing was quite all over the place. There wasn't much cohesion. The soundtrack was killer, Harley Quinn was pretty funny. Will Smith did his best Will Smith impression but he's loveable anyway so I enjoy it. Jared Leto was, for me, just awful. It's like he was cosplaying a mix of Mark Hamil, Ceasar Romero and Heath Ledger instead of doing his own thing. I really didn't like his joker at all.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Pvt.Scott posted:

It's not like there's some sort of film reviewers' guild with tight control over ethics or something. Usually you don't have to bribe or pay a reviewer because you've already given their publisher/website piles of ad money and there's an implicit danger that if you turn in a harsh review when a studio handed you 100k for ads, they might decline to advertise with you in the future. That's how video game reviews work for AAA titles that are poo poo.

Don't forget the ideological bias of various editors having it's own influence in ensuring that movies/games that have the right message get good scores regardless of actual quality.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Sorry to not engage with this thread at all but uhh, it is funny that this is the guy from better call saul.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The 90s Batman movie series should have been an absolute no brainer that kept pumping out massively popular tentpole movies every two years until the heat death of the universe but they somehow managed to kill off this billion dollar franchise with the stinker that was Batman and Robin. The director of B&R had wanted to do a darker, grittier film but the WB suits forced him the in opposite direction and paid the price. WB have been reeling from that blow and running in the opposite direction ever since.

If you think about it in the abstract, "Let's make a total camp batman, just like the TV series, but set it in the gritty, dark Tim Burton setting" it sounds kind of amazing but then the reality of Batman and Robin is, well............

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's because the movie doesn't give the impression that it's in on the joke. It plays as a satire instead of a comedy, and I don't know if you noticed but a large segment of Batman fans cannot take a loving joke to save their lives.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 7, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

eSports Chaebol posted:

If you think about it in the abstract, "Let's make a total camp batman, just like the TV series, but set it in the gritty, dark Tim Burton setting" it sounds kind of amazing but then the reality of Batman and Robin is, well............

The opposite is also hilarious (in short doses)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they shoulda just gone full on old school justice league cartoon and 60s batman and poo poo. it'd be fun.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
aquaman's like the most broody not-Batman DC superhero tho

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah of all the complaints I actually don't mind Aquaroids. So far it's one-dimensional as balls because Momoa is a poo poo actor who can only act with his body, but "Conan of the Seas" is literally the only non-joke version of Aquaman that DC has managed to make stick in 75 loving years, it's not unprecedented.

It's better than "audience proxy Barry."

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Namor is the cooler Aquaman because he just sits around being angry and hating people and sometimes he does whatever is best for his world and sometimes that's good for humans but most of the time it's very bad

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Professor Shark posted:

Namor is the cooler Aquaman because he just sits around being angry and hating people and sometimes he does whatever is best for his world and sometimes that's good for humans but most of the time it's very bad
|/

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Namor is also willing to gently caress almost anything for any reason:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!
I really want to believe WB can start making good DC movies again the second it wises the gently caress up and decides to fire Zack Snyder

Much like GB2016 could possibly have been good if it weren't for Paul Feig being both a hack and insufferable

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Triple A posted:

Don't forget the ideological bias of various editors having it's own influence in ensuring that movies/games that have the right message get good scores regardless of actual quality.

*snarky assertion that this is, like, SO not true, and even if it IS, it's totally okay and expected as long as it agrees with my politics. Mentions your hat choice and implies you are in fact not sexually active. On the way out, calls you something along the lines of "gator goober" for good measure.*

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
something something patriarchy something something measure the worth of a man by his sexual conquests

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

bloodysabbath posted:

*snarky assertion that this is, like, SO not true, and even if it IS, it's totally okay and expected as long as it agrees with my politics. Mentions your hat choice and implies you are in fact not sexually active. On the way out, calls you something along the lines of "gator goober" for good measure.*

Lol

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

The opposite is also hilarious (in short doses)

I'd pay for a movie like this

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Triple A posted:

a lot of the positive reviews for ghostbusters 2016 were lukewarm endorsements, but they were "positive" because they didn't want to be on the wrong side of things. and yet people who were "left-wing" used to make fun of conservatives who roundly praised pop culture for little more than agreeing with their worldview

VideoGames posted:

Jared Leto was, for me, just awful. It's like he was cosplaying a mix of Mark Hamil, Ceasar Romero and Heath Ledger instead of doing his own thing. I really didn't like his joker at all.
but he promised us this would be the sickest, most twisted joker ever. jared leto is a flim-flam man

Groovelord Neato posted:

they shoulda just gone full on old school justice league cartoon and 60s batman and poo poo. it'd be fun.
"fun" is not allowed in DC movies

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

even the nolan batman movies were dark and gritty to a fault i think although i liked the first and second ones a lot. the third one wasnt very good.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I prefer campy 60s and 80/90s Batman to dark, gritty Batman.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I prefer campy 60s and 80/90s Batman to dark, gritty Batman.
same. i never saw Batman Begins but TDK was good. it certainly wasn't fun though

red19fire
May 26, 2010

PassTheRemote posted:

Turbo Kid is IMO how you make a movie that is an homage to a genre of the 80's, in particular 80's Mad Max ripoffs. It was so much fun, more so than Kung Fury's 30 minute "THE 80'S" Plastered all over the screen.

No mention of Hobo With A Shotgun? For shame. Though I think HWAS is the definitive 80's B-movie homage, TK is pretty decent.

Kung Fury is like what an 18 year old today thinks 80's movies were like, based entirely on hearsay from Bacon Narwhal LOL reddit comedy.

For the best of the actual 80s B-movie, I humbly suggest Miami Connection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZu69OB2KM

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

Oh but did you see that Justice League trailer Barry Allen totally made a self-aware quip like the Joss Whedon

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I watched the JLA trailer and it smelled like desperation and not-trying-too-hard

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

I watched the JLA trailer and it smelled like desperation and not-trying-too-hard

I think they already hosed it up because how is superman going to comeback from the dead

There's no way they don't do a super loving stupid plot line for that, it's just gonna suck

And otoh if Superman was alive, he should be the one to bring the Justice League together, not loving lone wolf Batman

Batman is like the last guy who would want to join the JL, and only because he really doesn't see any other way

In the comics and cartoons he's always complaining about the little superhero club and has plans to gently caress up every single superhero in the team

I'm a huge nerds

Edit: to be clearer, Batman is the one character in DC that SHOULD be gloomy and brooding and dark, but they're turning him into Tony Stark

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I didn't even know he died

Whatever

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

I didn't even know he died

Whatever

Spoiler warning, sorry

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I meant "Whatever" in the sense that I'm not really concerned, there's no way BvsS could be ruined for me, no worries friend-o

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I think that a good way to make a superhero movie would be to come up with an idea of a story that is somehow poignant, relevant or otherwise worth telling and then try to fit the superhero into that story rather than the other way where you start with a superhero and try to make things happen to the character.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

red19fire posted:

For the best of the actual 80s B-movie, I humbly suggest Miami Connection.

I'm going to have that song stuck in my head all day now. :pervert:

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Also note that the '05 Nolan film Batman Begins still didn't make as much money as the '89 Burton Batman but they stuck with it and had gigantic hits with The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises (both of which grossed over a billion dollars) which has completely cemented their 'dark and broody' superhero format. MoS and BvS were a lot less popular than the last two Nolan films and didn't do nearly as well at the box office but I guess they were hoping to replicate the Nolan model where the smaller first film lead into monster billion dollar sequels.

Wasn't TDK full of action? I remember being totally gripped by the movie. Man of Steel and BVS are snoozefests by comparison.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Nolan's movies really should have been Bruce Wayne Begins, The Bruce Wayne, and Bruce Wayne Returns.

You don't really get to see Batman very often.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ElGroucho posted:

Nolan's movies really should have been Bruce Wayne Begins, The Bruce Wayne, and Bruce Wayne Returns.

You don't really get to see Batman very often.

Bruce Wayne is Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bruce Wayne is a good-for-nothing playboy who is squandering the money and goodwill his father used to build Gotham

• Locked thread