Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

What is A2MR? Googling it doesn't help

Its actually AM2R. Fan remake of Metroid 2. It's really good.

http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Oh okay, thanks

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Metroid rules, also good morning y'all.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Good morning.

Thread, I want to sell my WiiU, but how vital is it that I play Toyko Mirage Sessions before I do?

also skeezy i enjoy your avatar very much

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I'm finally back from Gen Con. What a ride that was. And I got a lot of cool stuff out of it too

Also, Matthew Mercer was the anime guest of honor this year and I managed to get his autograph and had my picture taken with him (picture of me and him can be found on my Twitter)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

PBS Newshour posted:

Good morning.

Thread, I want to sell my WiiU, but how vital is it that I play Toyko Mirage Sessions before I do?

Absolutely vital

Otherwise you will die

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Regy Rusty posted:

Absolutely vital

Otherwise you will die

Oh my

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's real fun and I don't have any particular affection for jpop but I am still having a good time with the jrpg combat and the walking around Tokyo parts.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

I don't like the animation in cuphead

It's interesting, but I have to agree after seeing the same looking enemies coming at you from both sides, constantly, it loses its charm real quick.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The $90 dlc for Gal Gun that lets you see through character's clothes currently has 4 5-star ratings in psn store meaning at least 4 people actually bought it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
oh man the Metroid 2 remake is extraordinarily legit

I've been waiting years for a new 2D Metroid and also it's free

it's so good guys

so loving good

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Monkey Fracas posted:

it's so good guys

so loving good

what impressed me the most is how loving good the controls are, it's like SM/zero mission polished to perfection.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jay Rust posted:

What is A2MR?

A Freudian slip :a2m:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

VideoGames posted:

The saddest thing about Cuphead is how stunning the art and animation style is. If you didn't know it was a game, then you'd be forgiven thinking it is some throwback to the old Mickey cartoons. There is knowledge and love put into that aspect of it. The gameplay looks so bland and uncertain of itself. Why an infinite firing beam from his finger? Why a thousand enemies per square inch? It's almost like it's a old spaceship shootemup.

There are so many artists making cool-looking but bland games and so many developers making bland-looking but cool games, I hope that more of them meet and work together in the future.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

it's so good guys

so loving good
I want them to put out a Metroid Maker with their engine.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

PBS Newshour posted:

Good morning.

Thank you :3:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PBS Newshour posted:

Good morning.

Don't sell it yet. Nintendo games maintain their value. Wait and see how things shake out with the NX. The Wii U had pretty limited sales, which can drive up prices.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

I want them to put out a Metroid Maker with their engine.
Nintendo went after Zelda Maker so they shouldnt

(although they left Zelda Classic alone because I guess it's been on the internet for a decade already so there'd be no point)

someone did release this for game developers though: https://www.scirra.com/store/royalty-free-game-templates/metroidvania-game-kit-1319

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

When I first started AM2R it felt just a tiny bit off, like I could just barely tell yeah this is a fan game

An hour+ in and that feeling has totally gone away, it owns

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I keep reading AM2R as ASMR and it's weirding me out.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

I thought that that was actual art and that original metroid 2 wasn't capable of showcasing the metroids evolutions like they wanted to, with fusion being the first time the t-rex look finally came about

I was referring more to the proportions and stature. The original zetas were chubby li'l dudes with stubby legs and arms :3:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

FactsAreUseless posted:

Don't sell it yet. Nintendo games maintain their value. Wait and see how things shake out with the NX. The Wii U had pretty limited sales, which can drive up prices.

Alright, that sounds like the smart move, and I do want to play Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I just finisehd Shadow of Mordor. Dear videogame developers, stop making you climactic battle a loving QTE. Signed, Everyone.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mordja posted:

I just finisehd Shadow of Mordor. Dear videogame developers, stop making you climactic battle a loving QTE. Signed, Everyone.

You can tell how rushed a game was by its final boss.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Wamdoodle posted:

You can tell how rushed a game was by its final boss.

Rayman Origins' final boss fight happens just before you fight robot versions of 2/4 of the game's previous bosses, which always struck me as a pretty clear example. I'm cool with it though because Rayman Origins is cool and good and the right length for what it is. The sequel was way too bloated.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Metroid 2 remake is seriously excellent. If you like Metroid at ALL play it. It's honestly quickly skyrocketed to one of my favorite Metroids.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

In game dev, we get to see what percentage of players actually get to see the end game content so we end up putting a ton more effort into the first couple hours versus the last. I mean, I agree with you that it's lame, and I have no idea if that's the case here, but it's definitely something that gets discussed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The problem with making the player extremely powerful like in Shadow of Mordor or Dying Light or similar is that making a final boss that counters your skills while also being fun to fight is too hard for something 25% of the playerbase is going to see in person and most others are going to just watch on Youtube.

edit: See Batman Arkham Asylum for my go-to example. The final boss in that game sucks poo poo and only utilizes two out of Batman's like ten gadgets and skills. They didn't make it a QTE cutscene because they probably felt obligated to have the player fight a real 1-on-1 with the Joker after all that setup; but Batman has so many tools at his disposal by that point that it'd take a whoooooole lot of effort to structure a fight where the player can use any of it in any order at any time. The fight with Freeze in Arkham City is an example of how they could have done it instead of making it a gimmick boss, but the difference is that fight happens like a third of the way into the game- way more people are going to see it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 7, 2016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Chozo are extremely awesome, because it's Zelda in space.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdNXTpgTqZ8

Guy Mann posted:

I keep reading AM2R as ASMR and it's weirding me out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUhbaIAFf80

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 7, 2016

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The most rushed lovely final boss I've ever seen is the one in the Splatterhouse reboot. It was literally a few waves of normal enemies and a QTE.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I found an Easter egg in AM2R :buddy:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

... Hahaha, that's great.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

axleblaze posted:

The most rushed lovely final boss I've ever seen is the one in the Splatterhouse reboot. It was literally a few waves of normal enemies and a QTE.

I never played it personally but the fact that The Order: 1886's final boss wasn't just a QTE but an exact copy of a QTE that was used earlier in the game is just amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG0zJ89Fv8c&t=1420s

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

corn in the bible posted:

he means am2r whicu is a metroid 2 remake

Yeah, sorry. I was falling asleep when I wrote that last night, and I'm already poo poo at typing new acronyms when I'm not 100% concentrating. :(

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Heritage not Hate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJcm1sgyZCU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I don't get it

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't get it

it's samus' flashback of sr388 from the beginning of fusion when she first meets the X

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't get it

It's the cave where Samus gets infected by the X parasite in the Metroid Fusion intro.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mordja posted:

I think the most egregious example of that was Dying Light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Lurdiak posted:

I think the most egregious example of that was Dying Light.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjsC32ZSCPw

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 7, 2016

• Locked thread