Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

vorebane posted:

This is very true and a big part of why republicans feel the need to back their idiot in my opinion. But that wouldn't be in effect for this election, and the midterms would need both a strong ruling against gerrymandering swiftly implemented, and all the berniebros coming out to vote in an off year.

The true payoff of a gerrymandering decision would show up in 2021 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shifty Pony posted:

Alternative possibility: Reid organizes a slow walk of the confirmation by insisting on 100% by the book hearings (so they don't get done in time for the end of the congressional term on Jan 2nd). If republicans complain just keep pointing out that this all could have been done almost a year ago and that trying to get things done during Thanksgiving and Christmas is just plain hard so sorry we're working as fast as we can.

Why would the minority want to do this at all? The faster Garland is voted in, the faster the Court goes from 4-4 and punting as much as possible to 5-4 and wrecking Republican dreams. When the Republicans come holding their hat in their hands asking if people can forget about that whole "You're not the President of me" thing, the smart, ideological, and correct play is to get that vote done quick as possible.

Also you get to have so many Republicans on the record as bitching about this Garland guy for 7 months and then voting for him as fast as possible come November.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Dork457 posted:

What the hell is this? I can't understand why you would make an infographic like this. From 538

It's an intestinal tract and the right side is where the poo poo comes out.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Finally, the hot take we've all been waiting for:

https://mobile.twitter.com/edzitron/status/762385644827979776

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Maybe Trump is on message, it's just poorly translated from Russian.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Free snorlaxes if you vote Hillary.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

more phanpy = more republican votes
more mudbray = more democratic votes

Yes I know neither of these are in Pokemon Go yet, shut up

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

negativeneil posted:

I think what he's asking is how many points would she need to be winning by to indicate such a huge electoral wave that the influence on the downticket races would result in a flipped House and Senate. I think such a question is unknowable, but if I'm speculating she'd have to have a blowout in just about every state.

It's probably somewhere around 7-10 points. The 218th House of Representatives district is R+2, meaning it's two points more Republican than the country as a whole. So Clinton winning by 7 points overall means she wins the median House seat by 5, which seems like it'd be high enough to plausibly drag a good challenger past an average incumbent. Throw in the other couple of points (HRC+8,9,10) to account for mediocre challengers, long-time/savvy incumbents, recruiting failures, etc. So it'd require a real blowout.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I still can't believe Congress passed on Zika funding. Are they hoping for a massive outbreak.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Hollismason posted:

I still can't believe Congress passed on Zika funding. Are they hoping for a massive outbreak.

"God will purge the wicked with tiny headed, unabortable babies." - GOP, probably

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Hollismason posted:

Zika fears depress woman vote in Florida?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's going to be like the heroin epidemic , once it starts affecting affluent white people they'll be all " We must stop it! "

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Freakazoid_ posted:

Republicans are going to stonewall all nominations for the next eight years, just because they can.

Fixed it for ya. Won't it be nice when Garland's nomination gets yank'd after E-day so Hillary can nominate the youngest judge for SCOTUS ever?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hell, at this rate unless the Democrats retake the Senate they won't even let Hillary have a cabinet.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hollismason posted:

They don't think Florida cares, and don't care if it does care because they, largely, don't live there. Now if we can get some locally transmitted zika outbreaks in DC, like Florida's got, well then that poo poo is getting fast tracked.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
By then it'll be a choice between little head and autism for them.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hollismason posted:

They wanted to pass the bill they put forward, with 20% of the recommended funding levels and mandatory repeal of every bit of social progress since 1950, but for some reason the DUMMYCRATS refused to pass it

Now it's all up to God, unless you want to say that God is giving these women access to abortion by tipping the scales in Roe v. Wade decades ago. That wasn't God, trust me - as a Representative from a backward swamp district in the FL pandhandle, I'm qualified to interpret His motivations

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Isn't Zika just like the flu unless you are planning to have children in the near future?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

How many seats does funding disaster relief for Republican states win Democrats? Too few to be worth any actual sacrifices for. Let the southerners have the government they elected. They don't like it, they can vote Democrat. Failing that, gently caress appropriating any disaster relief that don't win Democrats seats.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Artificer posted:

Isn't Zika just like the flu unless you are planning to have children in the near future?

It's a very mild flu. Like so mild a healthy adult may not notice it and poof infects another person who may get preggo.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

How many seats does funding disaster relief for Republican states win Democrats? Too few to be worth any actual sacrifices for. Let the southerners have the government they elected. They don't like it, they can vote Democrat. Failing that, gently caress appropriating any disaster relief that don't win Democrats seats.

Remember when I think it was Perry, then Gov of Texas, spent weeks crowing about how Texas never took federal money for anything*, then immediately started lambasting Obama for not forking over truckloads of cash to help contain wildfires caused by his criminal mismanagement of natural resources?

*offer only valid if you exclude federal grants, stimulus, welfare programs, infrastructure, and border control

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Artificer posted:

It's like the flu in a few cases but is largely unrecognized by the infected, who only find out after their doctor tells them or their baby turns out to have birth defects. Also unlike the flu it can apparently be transmitted sexually.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Artificer posted:

More or less. There are occasional severe cases like people who get neurologic problems (Guillan Barre syndrome) but that's true of other viruses no one freaks out about.

I think the whole issue of microcephalic babies is going to be a test of the GOP hard line on abortion.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Zika is going to be the Thalidomide babies of this generation, especially if the response to it is squashed and it's allowed to flourish because ???

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Zwabu posted:

More or less. There are occasional severe cases like people who get neurologic problems (Guillan Barre syndrome) but that's true of other viruses no one freaks out about.

I think the whole issue of microcephalic babies is going to be a test of the GOP hard line on abortion.

I wouldn't count on that. Noted thirsty man Rubio already said no abortions and some ALEC-written bills contain language not even letting miscarriage removal.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Epic High Five posted:

Remember when I think it was Perry, then Gov of Texas, spent weeks crowing about how Texas never took federal money for anything*, then immediately started lambasting Obama for not forking over truckloads of cash to help contain wildfires caused by his criminal mismanagement of natural resources?

*offer only valid if you exclude federal grants, stimulus, welfare programs, infrastructure, and border control

If Democrats want to win a majority and save this nation from the party which calls for foreign attacks upon domestic institutions, then we need to copy the Republican strategy of abandoning our morals to loving win seats.

Gee, Texas, sorry half your state is on fire and the other half underwater. If your congressional delegation voted to expand highspeed rail, we might be able to redeploy some excess forestry and land management resources to assist.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Artificer posted:

It is also a very nasty STD that may be spread through semen for at least 6 months after infection.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Zwabu posted:

Fat chance. They'll double down and force people to accrue hundreds of thousands of medical bills caring for their terminally ill and suffering ~*~BlEsSiNgS fRoM gOd~*~.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

DemeaninDemon posted:

I wouldn't count on that. Noted thirsty man Rubio already said no abortions and some ALEC-written bills contain language not even letting miscarriage removal.

Just because people are sticking with the hard line for now doesn't mean that it won't become a political trial by fire for anti abortion forces, especially once we start seeing some microcephalic babies being born from this.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

LeeMajors posted:

Fat chance. They'll double down and force people to accrue hundreds of thousands of medical bills caring for their terminally ill and suffering ~*~BlEsSiNgS fRoM gOd~*~.

Let them. Let the Republican states see just how loving expensive it is to let R's have majorities.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Perhaps they are hoping that the Zika virus will primarily impact Democratic demographic sectors?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Nessus posted:

Perhaps they are hoping that the Zika virus will primarily impact Democratic demographic sectors?

Yeah! Those nasty young sex havers!

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Zwabu posted:

Just because people are sticking with the hard line for now doesn't mean that it won't become a political trial by fire for anti abortion forces, especially once we start seeing some microcephalic babies being born from this.

"God wanted you to have a little head."

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Yes, any kind of disaster benefits them because they will blame the Democratic establishment. It doesn't matter how much sense that makes or that the GOP actually controls both houses of Congress, because their voters are morons and the Democrats are terrible at messaging.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

Or just leave them at a fire station and let the state take up the burden of their care

Then when it turns out that the GOP machine in Florida is grinding up Zika babies to fertilize orange groves, release the most insane ad blitz ever and retake the state

Nessus posted:

Stupid assumption, considering how quickly it spreads and how tough it is to know if you're infected or not for a lot of people

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Stupid assumptions about disasters is like the GOP's biggest game past oppressing people without straight, white dicks.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

LegoMan posted:

It's dismissive to say he was impeached for a blowjob. He was charged with perjury and obstruction of justice. There is definitely a double standard but don't diminish what he actually did.

That's right, he lied about getting a blowjob. Totally not blowjob related and also an important national issue he was untruthful about.

Also Totally different than Alberto Gonzales claiming under oath that he couldn't remember anything about any decisions he made while attorney general. He simply couldn't remember illegally firing all those prosecutors for political reasons, he wasn't lying!

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
So apparently Kasich has confirmed the "Super VP" offer to be a true story.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/07/politics/john-kasich-donald-trump-election-2016/index.html

quote:

Kasich told CNN's Jake Tapper that he didn't receive a call himself. But he said one of his aides confirmed to him a New York Times report last month saying Donald Trump Jr. tried to entice Kasich with a position as the most powerful vice president in history -- putting him in charge of all domestic and foreign policy -- was accurate.

"That's what one of them has told me, yes," Kasich told Tapper in an interview aired Sunday on "State of the Union."

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Stereotype posted:

That's right, he lied about getting a blowjob. Totally not blowjob related and also an important national issue he was untruthful about.

Also Totally different than Alberto Gonzales claiming under oath that he couldn't remember anything about any decisions he made while attorney general. He simply couldn't remember illegally firing all those prosecutors for political reasons, he wasn't lying!

How it got to that point was a witch hunt, but the president lying under oath about sexual favors received from a subordinate is actually very serious.

On the other hand: it's fair to point out, that while it's often used as an example of ridiculous semantics, Clinton's haggling over the definition of the word "is" was a totally reasonable and fair argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

berserker posted:

So apparently Kasich has confirmed the "Super VP" offer to be a true story.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/07/politics/john-kasich-donald-trump-election-2016/index.html

Did anybody ever doubt that it was true? I can't think of anything more Trump than offering some schmuck the job of actually running the country while he would be responsible for "Making America Great Again".

• Locked thread