Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
What was the "is" argument anyway? I was a child when that all went down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Remember when I think it was Perry, then Gov of Texas, spent weeks crowing about how Texas never took federal money for anything*, then immediately started lambasting Obama for not forking over truckloads of cash to help contain wildfires caused by his criminal mismanagement of natural resources?

*offer only valid if you exclude federal grants, stimulus, welfare programs, infrastructure, and border control

Standard FYGM.

Super storm Sandy? gently caress you north east/financial capital of the US/the world. Bumfuck, Flyover gets a tornado or fake Climate Change causes TX to get a nanometer of snow. Wheres my money?

Never mind many GOP shitholes take more moeny than they pay back in.

edit: quoted wrong post. Welp at having multiple quote tabs open.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm glad the dems have a good chance of stacking the supreme court, but does anyone else think this is insane?

With how wildly partisan everything has become in this country the idea that incredibly important issues can be decided for decades based upon whatever the election results were for a single election when a justice finally died is completely nuts. Like even if the popular will and following elections all push in the other direction them's the breaks until one of the fuckers gives up or dies.

I understand the idea is that these are legal experts who aren't supposed to be just voting straight ticket but that ship seems to have sailed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It really seems that the Republican's response to the Zika Virus is almost directly similar to the AIDs crisis in the 80s. Anything it seems that has to do with sex and reproduction they want to control. It's very odd.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/762400869858115588

Donald Trump: Other T

he seriously cannot let this baby thing go

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

If you're asking what I'm thinking you're asking (about the Bill Clinton - Monica Lewinsky thing), Bill Clinton, being a good lawyer who hired lots of better lawyers, dragged the definition of sexual contact and a zillion other issues (including the past versus present tense :v: ) into a morass of technicalities, most importantly on whether receiving oral sex constituted "having sexual relations" (with that woman) - both teams of lawyers had previously come to the agreement that for the purposes of this case, it did not. Among other things, as I recall, he also testified that he "is not in a sexual relationship with Ms Lewinsky", which was probably true at the time of his statement. :v:

Nothing he said at any time while under oath was proven to be A) a willful lie that was B) material to the case. Sometimes through technicalities, sometimes because it was a plausible misremembering (or he-said she-said with no corroboration), etc.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Someone else can elaborate the legal question about it, but it was also a procedural masterstroke and some classic slick Willy machination.

They was I heard it in a Documentary, Clinton's team ensured that the deposition could only run for an allotted time (say, 2 hours) and there wouldn't be any follow-up. So there was a lot of pausing, stopping to grab a drink of water, clarification of things, and the "what your definition of is, is" thing to run up the clock.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Yinlock posted:

I think you mean

"the baby" thing

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

It really seems that the Republican's response to the Zika Virus is almost directly similar to the AIDs crisis in the 80s. Anything it seems that has to do with sex and reproduction they want to control. It's very odd.

I think the issue is more that Republicans aren't in favor of control when it comes to Zika transmission.

Quorum posted:

I think you mean

"the baby" thing

And this is why you keep Bill locked up on Martha's Vineyard without wifi: You do not want Bill talking about "the baby thing."

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

My Imaginary GF posted:

It is also a very nasty STD that may be spread through semen for at least 6 months after infection.

Christ Almighty okay that's pretty bad.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

He was asked about Lewinsky and said "there's nothing going on between us". Then he was accused of lying under oath because in the past they had a sexual relationship, and he replied that it depends what the meaning of the word "is" is, i.e. if "there's nothing going on between us" is taken to mean that nothing has ever happened between them (which would be a lie) or is taken to mean that at the present moment there is nothing happening between them (which would be true).

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Artificer posted:

Christ Almighty okay that's pretty bad.

When you look at the public health lit, its a pretty difficult issue. Like how the sudden availability of birth control was causative of the STD epidemics of the '50s and '60s: people are stupid, and when they think they're safe, they don't practice safe sex. Funding for more sex education will not lower the rate of Zika transmission. We just gotta face it: the south done gonna have to make abortion more widespread, or pay for the welfare babies.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Ironic that the two biggest pushers of the clinton bj thing are complete human trash when it comes to wholesome Christian values. Ones a chomo in prison and the other left one of his four wives for getting cancer.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DemeaninDemon posted:

Ironic that the two biggest pushers of the clinton bj thing are complete human trash when it comes to wholesome Christian values. Ones a chomo in prison and the other left one of his four wives for getting cancer.

and the indepdendent counsel who dug it out just oversaw a massive rape coverup scandal

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Quorum posted:

I think you mean

"the baby" thing

yeah what the gently caress is up with those scare quotes

My Imaginary GF posted:

When you look at the public health lit, its a pretty difficult issue. Like how the sudden availability of birth control was causative of the STD epidemics of the '50s and '60s: people are stupid, and when they think they're safe, they don't practice safe sex. Funding for more sex education will not lower the rate of Zika transmission. We just gotta face it: the south done gonna have to make abortion more widespread, or pay for the welfare babies.

I think you're forgetting the standard operating procedure for disease outbreaks: Ignore it completely unless it affects you personally, then live in terror 24/7. But don't worry, it's not like an international event is being held at ground zero for the disease or anything.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

If you're asking what I'm thinking you're asking (about the Bill Clinton - Monica Lewinsky thing), Bill Clinton, being a good lawyer who hired lots of better lawyers, dragged the definition of sexual contact and a zillion other issues (including the past versus present tense :v: ) into a morass of technicalities, most importantly on whether receiving oral sex constituted "having sexual relations" (with that woman) - both teams of lawyers had previously come to the agreement that for the purposes of this case, it did not. Among other things, as I recall, he also testified that he "is not in a sexual relationship with Ms Lewinsky", which was probably true at the time of his statement. :v:

Nothing he said at any time while under oath was proven to be A) a willful lie that was B) material to the case. Sometimes through technicalities, sometimes because it was a plausible misremembering (or he-said she-said with no corroboration), etc.

The "Blowjobs don't count" defense is also Gingrich's go-to tactic. It's very important to remember that while Bill Clinton is the best, he is also unarguably a huge piece of poo poo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Don't forget Special Prosecutor Kenneth Starr going beyond the scope of his original assignment, then delivering The Starr Report as if it were some National Enquirer fanfic.

Or Linda Tripp being a horrible Jabba the Hut of a person that manipulated a friend in order to perform a political hit job on a president she didn't like in the hopes of a fat stax payout.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

My Imaginary GF posted:

Hopefully we'll find some way to deal with the crisis. I'm not sure these forums could handle a massive proliferation of zombaby threads.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
If the Dems take the Senate, can Hillary just start arranging treaties with other countries for the Senate to approve? The North Atlantic $15 Minimum Wage Treaty, the Universal Mental Care Treaty, etc.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Good Citizen posted:

Hopefully we'll find some way to deal with the crisis. I'm not sure these forums could handle a massive proliferation of zombaby threads.

The south's poisonous public policies are making heaven crowded.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Yinlock posted:

I choose to believe he intends to imply the baby was actually a Clinton plant, possibly a robot or lesser fiend given her ties to Hell.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

PerniciousKnid posted:

If the Dems take the Senate, can Hillary just start arranging treaties with other countries for the Senate to approve? The North Atlantic $15 Minimum Wage Treaty, the Universal Mental Care Treaty, etc.

2/3s of Senate to ratify.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PerniciousKnid posted:

She'd still need 2/3 of the Senate to vote to ratify any treaty.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PhazonLink posted:

Standard FYGM.

Super storm Sandy? gently caress you north east/financial capital of the US/the world. Bumfuck, Flyover gets a tornado or fake Climate Change causes TX to get a nanometer of snow. Wheres my money?

Never mind many GOP shitholes take more moeny than they pay back in.

edit: quoted wrong post. Welp at having multiple quote tabs open.

Citizens of New Orleans would like to have a word with you.

Conservatives only have a problem with disaster relief when circumstances force them to notice a bad thing is happening, and their reflexive whining about government spending gets triggered. So once-a-century storm slams the gulf coast or north eastern seaboard and they wring their hands about waste and moochers. But the bi-yearly hurricane or wildfire that takes out a whole town in Florida and Texas respectively gets litter attention outside the people directly affected.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The witchhunt of Clinton for basically nothing after nearly a decade of positive policies and enormous economic growth in order to win an election exemplifies Republicans: They don't give a poo poo about America they just want to win.

"drat these progressive policies worked really well, I guess we should be monsters and make the guy who fixed everything look like a pervert because our ideas don't work at all" -Republicans of 1999 and also right now

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Stereotype posted:

The witchhunt of Clinton for basically nothing after nearly a decade of positive policies and enormous economic growth in order to win an election exemplifies Republicans: They don't give a poo poo about America they just want to win.

"drat these progressive policies worked really well, I guess we should be monsters and make the guy who fixed everything look like a pervert because our ideas don't work at all" -Republicans of 1999 and also right now

To be fair Bill is a total pervert and kind of an awful person. Was good at his job though.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
The 90's sound like a very frustrating time to have been politically aware and not a conservative head-job.

Edit: And by the 90's I mean "all of time"

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 7, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Stereotype posted:

Like we need more evidence of that. Remember, they have spent eight years deliberately sabotaging as much as possible to prevent anything positive occurring that they couldn't claim responsibility for.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FilthyImp posted:

Nah. It's more like ShitWholeFoodsPeopleSay.txt

"So I said 'I don't care if youre my boss, the WiFi in the building is aggravating my EMS Sensitivity and it has to go"

"I mean, I want to buy the tortilla chips, but, I don't know... Am I culturally appropriating by getting the guacamole too?"

"EXCUSE me, but is this GMO Labelled? I can't feed this to my cat unless I know"

I expected her to be all "Hillary bad! She stole votes from Bernie, vote for me!" and not repeating David Avacado Wolfe memes. Though I did describe Stein and the greens to appealing to the same people who like the Food Babe and Dr Oz, to which I got lots of "no, she's pro science, she just doesn't like MONSANTO and BIG PHARMA *insert naturalnews level of information* which even though they're trying to defend her scientific bonafieds they contradict themselves by saying that them and her are "keeping an open mind" about wifi and vaccines and other poo poo like that. There was a huge argument about her on the Skeptics Guide FB page where people were posting quotes from since that dated back to like 2006 to try to deflect her critics that say she's anti-science.

I do like how I've seen many bernie supporters realizing that Stein trying to get disaffection Bernie voters to her side is actually really crummy and shows that she's less about actual change more an opportunist about expanding her brand.

berserker posted:

So apparently Kasich has confirmed the "Super VP" offer to be a true story.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/07/politics/john-kasich-donald-trump-election-2016/index.html

Trump just wants to have a painting of him hanging in the White House. It's just a trophy to him, he wants the prestige of winning what is the biggest popularity contest in the US. He is a man with no vision, no actual plans to "make America great again". The sad thing is I've seen people saying this is a plus because he'll hire the right people to fix everything after Obama appointing his friends and political cronies to positions.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Yinlock posted:

To be fair Bill is a total pervert and kind of an awful person. Was good at his job though.

Yeah you can separate the two pretty easily. Even more so today since it has absolutely nothing to do with Hillary.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

berserker posted:

So apparently Kasich has confirmed the "Super VP" offer to be a true story.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/07/politics/john-kasich-donald-trump-election-2016/index.html

If this is true, how likely is it that at one of the debates this topic comes up?

It's just the word of a Kasich aide. But the story is so idiotic that I believe it 100%.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
David Cross' new Netflix special has some pretty good Trump dunks, if anyone needs a laugh.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Yinlock posted:

I think you're forgetting the standard operating procedure for disease outbreaks: Ignore it completely unless it affects you personally, then live in terror 24/7. But don't worry, it's not like an international event is being held at ground zero for the disease or anything.

The "Blowjobs don't count" defense is also Gingrich's go-to tactic. It's very important to remember that while Bill Clinton is the best, he is also unarguably a huge piece of poo poo.

Oh yeah, he definitely is both those things, he just also did not provably commit perjury.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

The 90's sound like a very frustrating time to have been politically aware and not a conservative head-job.

Yes, but imagine being a Kerry campaign volunteer seeing W get re-elected in 2004.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

DemeaninDemon posted:

Yeah you can separate the two pretty easily. Even more so today since it has absolutely nothing to do with Hillary.

I think what's one of the most awful and condescending things about the election is that Hillary is being hit with the cheating scandals of her husband as if she is some sort of extension of him even as a presidential hopeful. How dare she be cheated on?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yinlock posted:

Avenging slights and disrespect is one of the biggest reasons Trump is running for president in the first place, his way of showing the New York aristocracy that he really does belong and he thinks it will make them show him the respect he thinks he deserves.

Trump never forgets, or forgives, a slight against his pride.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Yinlock posted:

I love how it's just "nuclear"

Energy, weapons, physics, it's all just "the nuclear"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can't wait for Trump to start trying to counter late night comedian jokes and political cartoons that attack him.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LegoMan posted:

It's dismissive to say he was impeached for a blowjob. He was charged with perjury and obstruction of justice. There is definitely a double standard but don't diminish what he actually did.

The truth is that he was impeached for being a Democrat

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
:siren:FALLGHAZI:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

twistedmentat posted:

I can't wait for Trump to start trying to counter late night comedian jokes and political cartoons that attack him.

But will he respond to this thread? Let's find out.

• Locked thread