Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

Which Conservative positions does she hold again?

She's kind of a war hawk. Also, when she was first lady she pushed for something more like Obamacare instead of a public option or single payer.

She's not a fan of devouring the rich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Switch "liberal" to "occasionally-left-leaning conservative" and you're on the money. Hillary will be our Margaret Thatcher, only scarier.

As opposed to Trump, who'll be a real Disraeli I'm sure.

Congress originates legislation. You got a problem with Clinton? Run for Congress ya lazy gently caress.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Globalism!!!!!!!

*makes scary ghost sounds*

hail our dark master

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jesus, it must really hurt to see that chaos dunk coming. All you got is she fell 3 times in her life?

:sad:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

She's kind of a war hawk. Also, when she was first lady she pushed for something more like Obamacare instead of a public option or single payer.

One of the big things about Hillary this election is that Bernie nudged her platform and the Liberals general discourse farther left though. It's like she actually examined why a good chunk of people were flocking to the "outsider" candidate instead of infighting and backstabbing so hard that an orange lunatic looks like the sane one.

EDIT:

Gyges posted:

Jesus, it must really hurt to see that chaos dunk coming. All you got is she fell 3 times in her life?

Hillary's stockpile of Verboten Jams is formidable. Her attack ads are amazing.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 8, 2016

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Eifert Posting posted:

"The Republicans believed the next acting president should make the decision. I bow to their opinion."

Assuming he wants to. I agree with you that he likely doesn't.
No no, that would be terrible. It would seal the precedent, which can't happen.

If Garland withdraws his nomination he'll need to make it clear why he's doing it: because to allow himself to be appointed after the election is to reward the GOP for making a mockery of the Constitution, and anyone who allows that to happen isn't fit to be a Supreme Court Justice.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Hillary Clinton always stays as far left in the Democratic Party as she thinks is just this side of being politically nonviable. The fact that some many people think she's some conservative light just shows how many people don't remember what the Clintons tried to do in 93 and 94.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Yinlock posted:

hail our dark master

Hail Satan!!!

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FuzzySlippers posted:

Longer than that. That was basically the Republican crisis of the 40's. They felt that Dewey was one of the strongest candidates they'd ever had and people actually kinda hated Truman and if they couldn't win with that match up it was hopeless. Republican control had given the average American the greatest disaster they'd ever faced and it had been mitigated under democrats. Even if Democrats weren't always the savior of the poor and often corrupt it was hard to paint Republican values as anything but slavishly devoted to the wealthy.

The solution was to shift on certain things and avoid debating the politics they couldn't win on. Get people to vote against their interests by casting the political fight not as the plight of the few vs the many, but with an existential struggle that outweighed noticing provisions to help their wealthy buddies pay few taxes or cutting government services to the poor.

Commies! The fall of China! Abortion! They hate Jesus! They'll poison your women folks minds and make them run wild in the streets! Terrorism! Brown people will pillage your neighbors and take your women! etc

I agree with you. That's why I loved the label coined by Samantha Bee; Fear Fluffers. That's all they are, that's their only message; fear.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yinlock posted:

One of the big things about Hillary this election is that Bernie nudged her platform and the Liberals general discourse farther left though. It's like she actually examined why a good chunk of people were flocking to the "outsider" candidate instead of infighting and backstabbing so hard that an orange lunatic looks like the sane one.

Clinton had been solidly progressive on most of the issues long before the Sanders campaign was a thing. This March 2015 DailyKos article says that she was the "11th most liberal" Senator during her time in office, according to an analysis of Senate voting records. I think that Sanders helped change the general discourse in a good way, but I don't think that Clinton's politics have changed much because she was already on board with almost everything that Sanders supports.

The biggest area where she could go further left would be to renounce her war hawk positions, but fat chance of that happening.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Is Gallup even doing their trackers anymore? Or did they get enough of a black eye to their credibility in 2012 that they are moving away from the election game?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

2012: FALLS AT HOME, BLOOD CLOT was just added.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I'm wondering why they even care about Hillary's mortality. If she goes then loaf of white bread gets to be president.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

On the healthcare issue, my memory is that she pushed for a more progressive law. That's when Heritage came up with its blueprint that eventually became Romney Care and then morphed into Obamacare.

I'm open to being corrected on this.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

DemeaninDemon posted:

I'm wondering why they even care about Hillary's mortality. If she goes then loaf of white bread gets to be president.

Dorky Virginia Stepdad would trounce Trump.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Lol Republicans who explicitly worship Reagan worrying a person might be too old or enfeebled to be president

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Zwabu posted:

Is Gallup even doing their trackers anymore? Or did they get enough of a black eye to their credibility in 2012 that they are moving away from the election game?

The latter

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
The problem with the Super VP position for Pence is that it would require Trump to actually honor the deal.

Like Pence could run the country for a little bit but then someone would do something that offended trump and he would lurch out to react to it, throwing the sort of tantrums we're seeing now, before eventually getting tranquilized under control, at which point Pence has to spend his time trying to fix the poo poo trump did, praying he can get things back to where they were before trump decides to throw another tantrum.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Drudge is really getting desperate.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

radical meme posted:

On the healthcare issue, my memory is that she pushed for a more progressive law. That's when Heritage came up with its blueprint that eventually became Romney Care and then morphed into Obamacare.

I'm open to being corrected on this.

Clinton's original healthcare plan was, at the very first moment, actual socialized healthcare. The individual mandate was something concocted by congressional Republicans as a "market-based alternative" that they preferred. This key portion is what made up the ACA that passed in the first Obama term. It wasn't so much concocted by Heritage, as it was passed along by like-minded ideologues before being drawn up by Heritage in a white paper.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Bushiz posted:

The problem with the Super VP position for Pence is that it would require Trump to actually honor the deal.

Like Pence could run the country for a little bit but then someone would do something that offended trump and he would lurch out to react to it, throwing the sort of tantrums we're seeing now, before eventually getting tranquilized under control, at which point Pence has to spend his time trying to fix the poo poo trump did, praying he can get things back to where they were before trump decides to throw another tantrum.

This is how you can tell that John Kasich is smarter than Mike Pence. Anybody who actually thinks they are going to be shadow president is a moron.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Gyges posted:

Gerald Ford stumbled twice as President and it was mocked and was mentioned in the 1976 election.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Old woman in heels has occasional trouble with steps

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Because of her cankles, obviously.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

No no, that would be terrible. It would seal the precedent, which can't happen.

If Garland withdraws his nomination he'll need to make it clear why he's doing it: because to allow himself to be appointed after the election is to reward the GOP for making a mockery of the Constitution, and anyone who allows that to happen isn't fit to be a Supreme Court Justice.

'Precedent' is meaningless when it gets in the way of loving winning. Withdraw the nomination and replace with a "gently caress You" 25 year-old pick who'll be 32 by the time they get their first hearing before the Senate. Show the R's just how much they hosed themselves by nominating a communist to lead their party.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

smg77 posted:

This is how you can tell that John Kasich is smarter than Mike Pence. Anybody who actually thinks they are going to be shadow president is a moron.

Except one Richard Cheney, but I don't think Pence is a necromancer cheating death with his dark arts. (One more reason I disapprove of Pence)

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

The answer is clear: at the open of the first presidential debate, we have Hillary and Donald arm wrestle. Solves a lot of problems, I think.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Bushido Brown posted:

The answer is clear: at the open of the first presidential debate, we have Hillary and Donald arm wrestle. Solves a lot of problems, I think.

How would anyone be able to watch?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

I think what pleases me most is that this is really gonna fuel the "Fox News is turning evil liberal" sentiment that the craziest of the Trumpers have. When Murdoch's precious propaganda isn't delusional or regressive enough, you know that your movement is in big trouble.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

'Precedent' is meaningless when it gets in the way of loving winning. Withdraw the nomination and replace with a "gently caress You" 25 year-old pick who'll be 32 by the time they get their first hearing before the Senate. Show the R's just how much they hosed themselves by nominating a communist to lead their party.

Besides, withdrawing the nomination and issuing a statement that "you assholes had your chance at a moderate justice" doesn't reinforce a precedent once way or another.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Geostomp posted:

I think what pleases me most is that this is really gonna fuel the "Fox News is turning evil liberal" sentiment that the craziest of the Trumpers have. When Murdoch's precious propaganda isn't delusional or regressive enough, you know that your movement is in big trouble.
I don't understand what point or reason there is for Fox to outsource their polling (or do any polling at all, rather than just make up numbers). The people watching FOX will neither fact-check nor care if they are inaccurate, and having the only reliable voters for your candidate hearing he is down 10 isn't going to motivate them.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

smg77 posted:

Still waiting for it to come to GOG :smith:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Bel Shazar posted:

Besides, withdrawing the nomination and issuing a statement that "you assholes had your chance at a moderate justice" doesn't reinforce a precedent once way or another.

Alternatively, we could just outlaw the Republican party for being communists attempting to implement a foreign takeover of America in order to advance a Russian agenda.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

DemeaninDemon posted:

Hail Satan!!!

Satanist clubs expand in Puget Sound area schools.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Bushiz posted:

The other problem is that it's basically doing the job of the President while Trump takes credit for anything you do right, and you take the blame for anything you do wrong. I couldn't imagine the sort of craven idiot you'd have to be to agree to this, but fortunately imagination is not necessary: the universe has instantiated an example for me in the form of Mike Pence.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I don't understand what point or reason there is for Fox to outsource their polling (or do any polling at all, rather than just make up numbers). The people watching FOX will neither fact-check nor care if they are inaccurate, and having the only reliable voters for your candidate hearing he is down 10 isn't going to motivate them.

But it will slight them against Fox the more they aren't pure of conservative ideology enough and god do I want to see that linger even if Trump loses, but his "I WAS CHEATED BY MY OWN SIDE" message sticks.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kilroy posted:

The other problem is that it's basically doing the job of the President while Trump takes credit for anything you do right, and you take the blame for anything you do wrong. I couldn't imagine the sort of craven idiot you'd have to be to agree to this, but fortunately imagination is not necessary: the universe has instantiated an example for me in the form of Mike Pence.

Mike Pence really does not seem to be an especially smart man.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kilroy posted:

To be fair that's generally what the Republicans do right now anyway. Everything good is due to them and everything bad is Obama.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Someone turned a pro-Trump "Patriotic Lawn T" into a literal burning cross :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

Alternatively, we could just outlaw the Republican party for being communists attempting to implement a foreign takeover of America in order to advance a Russian agenda.

I'm sorry thread but fine, I'll bite: what do you mean by communists?

• Locked thread