Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

the loot in this game is such trash

are there any unique weapon models, or is it all just *legendary* random enchantments?

kremvh's tooth

There's a mod called unique uniques that changes all the uniques to not just be renamed legendaries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

kremvh's tooth

There's a mod called unique uniques that changes all the uniques to not just be renamed legendaries

Interesting thing about Kremvh's Tooth is that the reason it looks unique is that it's actually just a machete with a special attachment - and it's the attachment that gives it the poison damage, meaning that if you find a random legendary machete, you can detach the mod from Kremvh's Tooth and stick it on the legendary and get what is essentially a double-legendary weapon.

Unique uniques basically takes that concept and applies it to every unique item.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

are there any unique weapon models, or is it all just *legendary* random enchantments?

Isn't the Cryolator a one off weapon? I've never seen one in the wild outside of Vault 111.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GamingHyena posted:

Isn't the Cryolator a one off weapon? I've never seen one in the wild outside of Vault 111.

And the junk jet I suppose. Are there multiple railway rifles?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

And the junk jet I suppose. Are there multiple railway rifles?

Yep, there are multiple railway rifles. Big John's Salvage has one, and there's one at Bedford Station above level 20.

Edit: And multiple junk jets, since you can get a second one from a random encounter after completing the Silver Shroud chain.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 8, 2016

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Canuck-Errant posted:

Yep, there are multiple railway rifles. Big John's Salvage has one, and there's one at Bedford Station above level 20.

Edit: And multiple junk jets, since you can get a second one from a random encounter after completing the Silver Shroud chain.

I think that when the mutants respawn at Big John's Salvage, the Railroad Rifle respawns. I also can't turn off the goddamn radio in the bunker for some reason... anyway, I have 4 of them on my last playthrough. I should start handing them to my supply line people

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

steinrokkan posted:

inexplicable Russians, but this is too much.

About those. They are surprisingly Russian. Even the jokes and mannerisms are Russian. Bethesda must have gotten their hands on a real Russian to study in the making of those characters and quests. Not just some guy faking an accent.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So with all the patches and DLC and stuff, I'm thinking of giving this another shake sometime in the future.

How is the performance on the PS4 version? I'm not expecting it to have been improved from launch so much as wondering if it hasn't gotten worse with the addition of the DLC, like FO3/NV.

Which (if any) of the DLCs are worth purchasing?

How is Survival mode now that it's been patched to be more than just a harder regular difficulty?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The reward from the Cabot house quest had a unique model too if I remember right, though like Kremvh's Tooth it's a special mod on a regular gun.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
The Deliverer is definitely unique.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Genocyber posted:

So with all the patches and DLC and stuff, I'm thinking of giving this another shake sometime in the future.

How is the performance on the PS4 version? I'm not expecting it to have been improved from launch so much as wondering if it hasn't gotten worse with the addition of the DLC, like FO3/NV.

Which (if any) of the DLCs are worth purchasing?

How is Survival mode now that it's been patched to be more than just a harder regular difficulty?

There's only one DLC I'm a bit iffy on, Contraptions, because most of its stuff is just for screwing around with weird machines (though I love it's warehouse buildings) but the rest has a lot of neat stuff to play around with. Wasteland Workshop has some nice quality of life stuff you can build around your settlements like arches to remove radiation and the ability to have tamed deathclaws guarding your settlements. Automatron not only lets you build your own settlers/companions but introduces some neat new weapons and enemies. Far Harbor is full of nice new story/environment content and lots of weird new weapons and recipes for all the fishy enemies on the island. Vault Tec Workshop lets you go nuts with new crap to build around your settlements and a truly gigantic underground base to build, plus some humorous story missions.

Nuka World isn't out yet but I have high hopes.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any ways to heal quickly in survival mode? Does anything work significantly faster than the slow stimpak/cooked meat healing?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Orange Sunshine posted:

Are there any ways to heal quickly in survival mode? Does anything work significantly faster than the slow stimpak/cooked meat healing?

Doctors, Nuka Cola Quantum is pretty quick, investing in the medic skill (at max you heal drat fast)

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

BobKnob posted:

After a recent patch, the vast majority of area in the Drive In movie theater is "outside of buildable area". I can basically build like 10 feet away from the workshop shack and that is it. Anyone else experience this? I found other people having this problem, but they fixed it using the console and I am a lowly Xbone user.

Also, If I release Piper from my service, she becomes a settler with no options to talk. I can't even trade with her anymore. She just says a canned Piper line and ignores me. I guess I will just keep her on until her Perk pops and then forget about her, but I am worried about it happening to all my followers.

I'm getting both these bugs, plus I'm unable to assign settlers to anything.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Orange Sunshine posted:

Cannibalism is an instant heal and a pretty strong one at rank 3.

Plus you never have to carry food ever again.

It also has this odd psychological effect of seeing a pack of ghouls and thinking "yum" or chasing down super mutants and beating them to death while yelling "you go in mah belly first" as his friends watch in horror.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zephyrine posted:

Cannibalism is an instant heal and a pretty strong one at rank 3.

Plus you never have to carry food ever again.

It also has this odd psychological effect of seeing a pack of ghouls and thinking "yum" or chasing down super mutants and beating them to death while yelling "you go in mah belly first" as his friends watch in horror.

Plus it's like the only thing Strong likes. gently caress YOU STRONG I HAVE TO PICK THIS LOCK TO FINISH THE GODDAMN QUEST.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Plus it's like the only thing Strong likes. gently caress YOU STRONG I HAVE TO PICK THIS LOCK TO FINISH THE GODDAMN QUEST.

But boy does he like it...

I'm getting bored of my current "non-sneak/companion/full auto weapons only" run

Things are easy to kill and all. Enemies at long range can be tricky though even pot shots from a two shot 45 SMG will kill most things in two or three hits.

I never get anywhere in this game because whenever I get bored I start over with a new style and then I have this list of things I need to get done (unlock vertibirds, get all attribute bobbleheads, kill a few big bosses, clear a few major hostile outposts)

Then when all that is done I get bored and start over again.

One problem with survival is that it pretty much excludes all settlement stuff. Unless you want to lug around junk and collect water/food by moving around manually.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 8, 2016

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I think grognak's axe and the alien blaster are unique in both effect and model.

My favourite "unique" weapon is the chinese officer's sword that isn't even legendary, it's just a renamed base sword. I don't think it even has any mods.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Zephyrine posted:

I'm getting bored of my current "non-sneak/companion/full auto weapons only" run

Things are easy to kill and all. Enemies at long range can be tricky though even pot shots from a two shot 45 SMG will kill most things in two or three hits.

I never get anywhere in this game because whenever I get bored I start over with a new style and then I have this list of things I need to get done (unlock vertibirds, get all attribute bobbleheads, kill a few big bosses, clear a few major hostile outposts)

Then when all that is done I get bored and start over again.

One problem with survival is that it pretty much excludes all settlement stuff. Unless you want to lug around junk and collect water/food by moving around manually.

Try something actually challenging. Like:

No healing. Play the game without ever healing. If this sounds too easy, try:

No healing, single health bar. Keep track of all damage you take, once you've taken as much as your current total, you're dead, end the game. Or:

No damage allowed. If you take any damage (other than radiation damage), you lose, end the game. This guy succeeded at that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id8mjpdChqc

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Orange Sunshine posted:

Try something actually challenging. Like:

No healing. Play the game without ever healing. If this sounds too easy, try:

No healing, single health bar. Keep track of all damage you take, once you've taken as much as your current total, you're dead, end the game. Or:

No damage allowed. If you take any damage (other than radiation damage), you lose, end the game. This guy succeeded at that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id8mjpdChqc

It takes me 3 attempts to get through Concord on any given Survival run. Never mind the whole game.

I might just need to scale back my endurance a bit. Though Solar powered is fantastic when it comes to keeping radiation down.

How do Brahmin troths work? I build one and get free fertilizer on a regular basis?

Or do I have to pat/poke/prod the cows too?

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 8, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Zephyrine posted:

How do Brahmin troths work? I build one and get free fertilizer on a regular basis?

Or do I have to pat/poke/prod the cows too?

Nah, you get fertilizer from the Brahmin automatically. The trough is just to give it an anchor point, so it's less likely to explore a house or something.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 8, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So the new counter-style stores are pretty nice, but the expanded nature of the third-level ones tends to invalidate some of my more compact layouts.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Glazius posted:

So the new counter-style stores are pretty nice, but the expanded nature of the third-level ones tends to invalidate some of my more compact layouts.

Yeah but now you can fit them in the vault rooms which more than makes up for it

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Weirdly the other thing he likes is Minuteman missions. Because he thinks "humans should help humans" and all that.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Fallout 4 for the PS4 keeps crashing and I don't know why. Can I reinstall it without losing all my saves?

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Strong likes killing. More than anything. The bigger the better. Pick all the locks, just make sure to smash some raiders into jam every so often.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
So I'm looking at giving this another go. Wondering if you guys can suggest mods here, because the modding thread is more focused on mechanical stuff.

I quit my last playthrough most of the way through (I think I was on my way to the Glowing Sea) because settlement building got boring without being able to make things that didn't look like a pile of poo poo, had no character, and didn't really produce anything worthwhile even with a huge amount of input. Also, combat got a little dull with the higher end enemies, because bullet sponges.

I'm aware that the last DLC or two fixed some of the settlement problems by giving you access to some stuff that didn't look like it was out of a railroad shanty town, but are there any recommended mods to make that even more fun, or to make overbuilding (like those massive water purifiers) helpful? Are there any combat updates to make higher end enemies less boring to fight?

I'm probably going to give it a go with the DLC regardless, but if there's something that's very highly regarded it'd be cool to know that in advance.

e: Oh, and if there is a mod somewhere that makes Dogmeat not count toward my follower cap (so I can have Dogmeat + Cait or whoever along, for example), I'd be interested in that mod as well. Dogmeat is cute but not to the point of nobody else hanging out with me.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 8, 2016

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

General Morden posted:

counterpoint

put more irish people in this game because there's like 2 irish people in the entire game

I guess they thought some kind of heavy accent on the locals might get old after a while to most people because I'm pretty drat sure there'd be some sort of heavy accent/dialect in the Commonwealth at this point. They'd be the descendants of the people who survived the bombings in the area for the most part and the culture probably wouldn't get a lot of injections from other areas.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Coolguye posted:

Oh, and if there is a mod somewhere that makes Dogmeat not count toward my follower cap (so I can have Dogmeat + Cait or whoever along, for example), I'd be interested in that mod as well. Dogmeat is cute but not to the point of nobody else hanging out with me.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13459/

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

:hf:

now to figure out if i can set him up with some sweet combat armor or some poo poo

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Hmm. What are guys finding as a good combo for the assaultron weapons? The automatic lasers are pretty good at medium distance, I put one on each hand of a floating robot and he stun locked and melted a death claw without me firing a shot

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Coolguye posted:

because settlement building got boring without being able to make things that didn't look like a pile of poo poo

Vault-Tec Workshop DLC is for you then because it introduces a lot of structures and furniture that don't look like poo poo! (Though you need to finish a few vault quests to be able to build the big Vault structures outdoors)

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Zephyrine posted:

It takes me 3 attempts to get through Concord on any given Survival run. Never mind the whole game.

The raiders outside the museum when you first get there can be killed by Preston, if you just wait a bit. Mess around with the buildings and containers in the alleys and loot the bodies you find and next thing you know, preston's killed them all.

Inside the museum, the dog can kill all the raiders if you want. Get the power armor and the minigun, jump off the roof and run to the alley to your left, instead of heading down the main road full of raiders. Go around to where the deathclaw spawns, which will trigger him to spawn, then run back to the alley. Deathclaw will kill all the raiders, which will take about half his health off. Shoot at him, run into the building with the open windows just outside the museum. He can't get through the windows or door, so you just shoot him through the windows.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Orange Sunshine posted:

The raiders outside the museum when you first get there can be killed by Preston, if you just wait a bit. Mess around with the buildings and containers in the alleys and loot the bodies you find and next thing you know, preston's killed them all.

Inside the museum, the dog can kill all the raiders if you want. Get the power armor and the minigun, jump off the roof and run to the alley to your left, instead of heading down the main road full of raiders. Go around to where the deathclaw spawns, which will trigger him to spawn, then run back to the alley. Deathclaw will kill all the raiders, which will take about half his health off. Shoot at him, run into the building with the open windows just outside the museum. He can't get through the windows or door, so you just shoot him through the windows.

All good advice but you really overestimate me. I once lost half an hour of progress because a stray bullet caught my bottlecap mine mid air. I won't stand a chance in this game on a gimmicky run.

This run has grown stale...

Me and Curie just cleaned out the Gunners Plaza and I just face tanked everything despite playing Survival and not using power armour.

The only shortcut I took was to throw a vertibird signal grenade into the courtyard to make the fatman wielder on the roof use up his two shells before I attacked. I'm sure there are more clever ways to disarm him but sometimes he gets lost and he will fire at close range.

I think I'll start a new playthrough. This time:

Max intelligence
Max Charisma
Minimal luck
Minimal Endurance, no life giver, no power armour
Enough strength for strong back
Companion run (no lone wanderer) I'll have Curie with a low rate of fire "Spray & Pray" again. It's efficient and balanced.
semi-auto pistols as main weapons (deliverer, 44)
No suppressors or sneaking
Explosives and mines for larger stuff,
plasma grenade + jet + vats to deal with bosses (shooting it out of the air in vats makes it do double damage and can be used to make frag grenades explode down onto heavy armour enemies in cover)
Nerd rage, Chemist,
Vats limited to grenades and emergencies, otherwise avoided.
Might bring a shotgun for indoor clusterfucks.

I still need a long range weapon... I'm bored of sniper rifles.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 8, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Harpoon gun or other Heavy Weapon for a long range weapon. If you have Strong Back unlocked you have enough strength for Heavy Gunner too. Only problem is you need to be careful about the weight because weight is pretty awful in Survival.

Plus you can recycle the ammo with the Harpoon Gun, which makes it viable to use outside of Far Harbor despite ammo for it not being found in the Commonwealth.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 8, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zephyrine posted:

All good advice but you really overestimate me. I once lost half an hour of progress because a stray bullet caught my bottlecap mine mid air. I won't stand a chance in this game on a gimmicky run.

This run has grown stale...

Me and Curie just cleaned out the Gunners Plaza and I just face tanked everything despite playing Survival and not using power armour.

The only shortcut I took was to throw a vertibird signal grenade into the courtyard to make the fatman wielder on the roof use up his two shells before I attacked. I'm sure there are more clever ways to disarm him but sometimes he gets lost and he will fire at close range.

I think I'll start a new playthrough. This time:

Max intelligence
Max Charisma
Minimal luck
Minimal Endurance, no life giver, no power armour
Enough strength for strong back
Companion run (no lone wanderer) I'll have Curie with a low rate of fire "Spray & Pray" again. It's efficient and balanced.
semi-auto pistols as main weapons (deliverer, 44)
No suppressors or sneaking
Explosives and mines for larger stuff,
plasma grenade + jet + vats to deal with bosses (shooting it out of the air in vats makes it do double damage and can be used to make frag grenades explode down onto heavy armour enemies in cover)
Nerd rage, Chemist,
Vats limited to grenades and emergencies, otherwise avoided.
Might bring a shotgun for indoor clusterfucks.

I still need a long range weapon... I'm bored of sniper rifles.

How do you feel about automatics for long-range weapons? Could do some kind of assault rifle thing with mods focused on recoil reduction. It's not going to be as effective as sniper rifles but then nothing is, really.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
So I've seen lots of talk about Curie in this thread. I'm done the main storyline and I've done a fair amount of wandering; without risking too many spoilers, can someone guide me towards where I can find her?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

ada shatan posted:

So I've seen lots of talk about Curie in this thread. I'm done the main storyline and I've done a fair amount of wandering; without risking too many spoilers, can someone guide me towards where I can find her?

Have you found a Vault that isn't a dungeon? Look there.

MinorRed
Jul 27, 2011

And then go back a day or so later for the quest to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MinorRed posted:

And then go back a day or so later for the quest to start.

after you've given blood.

• Locked thread