Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Lord Bowser- Welcome to the thread. Good job taking on the Bestiary. I still intend to at least try to name a few party members after you, but I digress...

Are you going to do monsters Leave misses or only those we see in the thread? I know there are some World Map encounters around Narshe and Figaro he didn't cover that may not necessarily come up again. Only curious.

Good luck with those nasty plumbers and if you get the chance wallop Toad for me. I hate that guy.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
So, I added a section for Bowser's book, and made sure the banner was included in there.

It inspired me to make my own banner! Which could be better, I suppose.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

It inspired me to make my own banner! Which could be better, I suppose.

I can clean it up for you, if you'd like...

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

How about this:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

FeyerbrandX posted:

How about this:

Non-integer scaling, 0/10.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

....Bravo. Just.... Bravo. :golfclap:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Six: This Is The Last One For A While, I Swear

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Previously, on Final Fantasy VI, Kefka attempted to burn Figaro Castle to the ground in an attempt to capture Terra, but he was foiled by Figaro Castle, which is actually a submarine castle. The party defeated a pair of Magitek riders and escaped through a cave, heading to South Figaro. Today, we're going to be crawling through the city and learning that Remain's brother, Leave, may be closer than he expected, so let's roll.

Alright, let's hit--Hey, a unique sprite!

I'll be damned if that's not a ninja.

Wait, ninja, stop! You just passed the relic shop! You can tell by the gem on the sign!

There's a lot of NPCs in town. Some of them have interesting things to say, while some of them certainly have lines.

However, the shadowy individual isn't interested in talking to us.

Nathan takes offense at that. I'd be careful, Nate. He's got a dog that's roughly crotch height to you.

But King Remain seems to recognize the fellow.

That's right, folks, we've got another name vote! You'll need to BOLD a vote for what we're going to call this fella. Take a couple of days to figure it out.

The SNES translation had a much better line here.

"He'd slit his mama's throat for a nickel!"

Probably not a bad idea.

So, let's go see what the scuttlebutt around town is.

Ooh, two named people.

And Duncan apparently thinks Vargas is some kind of a bitch.

And people in this town are either concerned about the Empire or the guy at the counter.

There's also a child getting hammered in here.

Hmm. The man with a twin looks like a student of Duncan's, eh?

Down in the basement of the pub is an rear end in a top hat.

But, he's going to make a booze delivery, so let's follow him.

He's hidden under that building section there.

Whoops, we got in front of him. The auto-dash in this game can make following certain NPCs kind of difficult, since they're still walking at the default speed.

Alright, we'll get him into a corner and punch him in the dick.

Oh, right, this isn't the Elder Scrolls. I can't do that sort of thing.

But, let's see what the old guy has to say.

This isn't super relevant right now, but just know that later on, we're going to have to get this guy some booze before he'll talk to us.

Downstairs, there's a potion hidden in a pot.

We exit out of here, not all that far from the pub.

Of the four NPCs I passed on the way over here, none of them had anything interesting to say. If you really want to see it, I have the screenshots.

Inside the relic shop, we get a quick rundown on what some relics do.

In the SNES version, equipping a relic was the only way you could move faster than the default walking speed. Each character has two slots for relics, so if you wanted to move quickly, you had to sacrifice a relic slot.

He's not doing a demonstration; he's lost control of his speed.

He slams into the wall like everyone does when they first get the Pegasus Boots in Link to the Past and runs off.

And we go to buy some relics.

Now, a Moogle did pop up to tell us about relics, but...Eh, I'll cover it. It's easier that way.

Sprint Shoes make you move at double speed. If you combine that with the auto dash, you'll be going fast enough to break dimensions. Silver Spectacles make you immune to Blindness (which tanks your hit percentage), while the Star Pendant renders you immune to Poison. The Jeweled Ring grants immunity to Petrify, and the Knight's Code causes whoever has it equipped to take hits for those who are on low health.

I grab some of the Spectacles and the Star Pendant. I'm...I'm not sure why. I don't think I've ever bought them before.

Upstairs from there, and connected to the pub, is the Inn.

For 80 Gil, everyone can rest, which recovers HP/MP and heals status effects.

In the room next door, Remain proves he isn't picky and lays down with the guy trying to take a nap.

Oh, I'm sure you guys will be fine. What's the worst that can happen?

North of the pub, we head into the biggest damned house in town.

You know the people that live here are fancy because they have nice flowers as soon as you walk in.

It might not be a bad idea. Depends on who you ask. But you're staying with the rich. Nothing bad ever happens to them!

Let's go poke through their stuff!

...Remain, do you have anything to say about this?

No? Not...Not a thing?

Lord, you're a loving awful king.

From your perspective, this shouldn't even be a real question!

It's behind the damned bookcase!

Okay, before someone says something at the end of this update, I forgot a couple of relics down here. They aren't anything spectacular, in the sense that I probably wouldn't use them at all, but they are down here. We'll get them later.

Alright, this is a prison cell and that's a poopin' bucket.

This is just a save point room. The blue glow is from me running into it.

The last room down here is cluttered as gently caress.

Oh, hang on a second. I hear the Koopaling getting rowdy.

False alarm. I think she just tooted and startled herself. At least, that's my theory. She's a farty little baby.

Ooh, more money!

That other chest right there is empty. It's kind of a middle finger to you. But the salve of 3,000 Gil before that really helps to soothe the sting.

We'll also be back here later.

Upstairs, we head into the last room.

I know if I was a kid and Magitek Armor existed, I'd be all over wanting a suit of it. Hell, I'm 25 and I want a suit of it. Not that I know what I'd do with it, but by God, I'd have a suit of power armor that shot elemental laser beams!

An Imperial general? Why would he be coming here...?

Take a knee, sweetie. You've said enough already.

Let's go browse the weapon and armor shops. I'm always down for new implements of rear end kickery.

So, when browsing for new equipment, the characters that can use it will do a little happy dance; the arrows indicate if it's a boost in attack power or not. Green is good and red is bad, as these things tend to be. An = means that it has equal attack power. That sounds all well and good, and it'll work for now, but we'll eventually have access to equipment that might not have as good of numbers, but could boost certain stats that make it better.

Basically, what I'm saying is that you shouldn't always trust the arrows. But, that'll come later. For now, we can trust the arrows.

Terra gets a Great Sword, while I pick up a Noiseblaster and Bioblaster for Remain's growing collection of Tools. I also grabbed a Mythril Sword for Nathan, having forgotten to give him Remain's old sword.

It's a decent boost.

But not as good as the boost Terra got by equipping the Great Sword.

On the other side, we can purchase armor.

Armor functions like weaponry, in that the arrows won't always be accurate. Some pieces of armor can offer stat boosts, elemental resistances and other benefits that aren't accurately displayed by a simple arrow pointing up or down.

In either case, I grab a couple of Heavy Shields, three Plumed Hats, a Cotton Robe and a Kenpo Gi (and a partridge in a pear tree).

Judging by the description, the Plumed Hat is a pimp hat by another name.

Nathan is the only one in the current party who can equip the Kenpo Gi, which makes sense, since he's currently our party's fast and sneaky guy.

Meanwhile, Terra gets to equip something that you could steal out of a hotel bathroom.

Finally, we hit the item shop. They're denoted by lamps on the sign.

The item shop offers nothing new, but I do grab a couple of Tents.

But before we can leave town, there's one last house to visit.

And here's another city that is extremely confident against element spewing machinery.

Yeah, Duncan is kind of an important fella.

He also actually has a name.

Probably not, but that's okay. We'll go there to meet him.

The staircase to the right leads to a save point, so let's get outta here.

We'll be heading northeast to go somewhere interesting.

When you get into a fight on the world map, you get a zoom in effect.

These guys are called Unseelies.

They have 132 HP, so the Auto Crossbow will take them out with little problem.

In addition to their generic physical, they can also throw a wrench at your face, which does about 10 more damage.

They're worth 256 Gil a piece and 53 EXP a pop.

Just a little ways from South Figaro, we find a shack near the mountains.

Oh, it has a garden, how quaint.

Inside, Remain notices there's a certain scent in the air.

As well as flowers and tea that someone he used to know enjoyed.

The pot next to the stove holds a Potion, and you can sleep in any of the beds for a free heal. This group is awful confident, what with breaking into someone's home and just snoozing in their beds.

He also finds some dishes that the guy used to use a lot.

Before leaving (:haw:), Remain wonders if this is where Leave has been living since he left Figaro Castle.

Though, I'd be wondering if he stole those dishes before he left...

Outside, there's an Exposition Man, who we may as well chat with.

Though...How long has he been there? Did he watch them go inside? Was he watching from the trees?

We talked to Duncan's Wife, and she apparently has no idea that her husband is dead.

But, never mind that poo poo, Leave is apparently up in those mountains!

As is Duncan's son, Vargas. I wonder if we'll be meeting him while we're up there.

Let's get over to Mt. Koltz.

I spent most of this fight using Nathan to try and rob this guy.

But, with 232 HP, he didn't last long enough for me to rob him. He has a few physical attacks that he can try, but the one time he got to attack, Nathan blocked it. The Belmodar has a special attack called Rush which deals double damage from its regular hit, and if you attack it with magic, it can counter with Megavolt, which can hurt like hell. They also absorb Lightning, but we don't have any source of that right now.

They're worth 246 EXP and 186 Gil, and I highly recommend using Auto Crossbow and other physicals against it. It can deal some good damage, but avoiding Megavolt is a pretty good idea.

Alright, folks, this is where I bid you adieu. Next time, we'll tackle Mt. Koltz, so stay tuned!

And don't forget to BOLD a vote for what we rename Shadow, the mysterious assassin!

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Well obviously, since the King is not the King as he should be.... it must be because the king is being a ninja. Bowser

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I also place a vote for Bowser

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

He's been everywhere, killed everything, and wrote a book about it. Clearly that masked man is Bowser.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Going for a timely current events reference that will be very dated when it hits the LP archive cost us that name for our most fitting character. I'm going to go with the (probable) mob mentality and choose Bowser for this one because there really aren't any other good options ahead. Ya blew it, thread.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Originally I wanted to name Shadow Leave for reasons.

But we already have a Leave and we need a Bowser

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

mauman posted:

Originally I wanted to name Shadow Leave for reasons.

But we already have a Leave and we need a Bowser

But now we can name him Bowser for other reasons.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Simply so the uncreative people can have an option to choose from besides Bowser, I'm going to suggest...

...hrm.

I've got nothing?

Well, as a side note, FFVI afficianados will know that for technical space saving reasons, some temporary characters hang out in permanant character slots prior to their being replaced. This includes our Moogle party from earlier, so for kicks I'm going to suggest the name Mogret and be the first and last person to ever do so for any LP ever.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
We should have named Shadow "Leave" but you all couldn't keep it in your pants. And now you guys are blowing your load on Bowser for the least fitting person possible. :cripes:

He is clearly a Tenno. :ninja:

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Bruceski posted:

He's been everywhere, killed everything, and wrote a book about it. Clearly that masked man is Bowser.
He's been everywhere? Obviously he's a Johnny.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

We should have named Shadow "Leave" but you all couldn't keep it in your pants. And now you guys are blowing your load on Bowser for the least fitting person possible. :cripes:

He is clearly a Tenno. :ninja:
Seconding this, because Warframe's aesthetics are amazing.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shadow should be named Bimmy. (As in Bimmy and Jimmy from Double Dragon.)

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 8, 2016

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Yep, I'll go with Tenno. I could totally see someone making an Ash look like Shadow... although making a Kubrow look like Interceptor is a far trickier task. :v:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
The ninja was my first choice for Bowser. I'll stick to it. Too bad we can't rename his stranger- eating dog.

Did they take out Remain's royal discount at the shops? In the versions of this game I played, he had special dialogue for shopping in south figaro and his castle, but it wasn't shown off. :(

SNES version went:

Shopkeeper- I can't take money from the king!
Remain: Don't you have a family? Shut up and take it!

You then get half price at the shops.

Looking back, I think Remain needs to be party leader for the dialogue to kick in.

Yet another bit of flavor text that makes Remain my favorite character in the game.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 8, 2016

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Leavemywife posted:

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Previously, on Final Fantasy VI, Kefka attempted to burn Figaro Castle to the ground in an attempt to capture Terra, but he was foiled by Figaro Castle, which is actually a submarine castle.

Submarines only go underwater. Figaro Castle would technically be a subterrene.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
As a kid, I always thought that Shadow's headband on his sprite was where his eyes were. So he looked like some sort of weird, diving helmet wearing ninja to me. He was still my favorite character.

And according to Final Fantasy Record Keeper plumed hats ARE just pimp hats.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
We can see Shadow walking around Figaro. The true ninja is invisible, so I guess he's some kind of nonja.

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug
Naruto :anime: ... I'll see myself out.

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!
Bowser. Honestly I was trying to come up with a good dumb name, but nothing was really coming to mind. And I figure, "Hey, let's get a staple name out of the way so it doesn't come back up again?"

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Tenno is the only choice. Ash Prime is too many letters :(

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Tenno.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I'll throw my vote to the Bowser train. Might as well get it out of the way.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

ParanoidLogician posted:

Bowser. Honestly I was trying to come up with a good dumb name, but nothing was really coming to mind. And I figure, "Hey, let's get a staple name out of the way so it doesn't come back up again?"

Ninthing (I counted!) this.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

I'll throw my vote to the Bowser train. Might as well get it out of the way.

Aww, what's wrong with Bowser? :(

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Leavemywife posted:

Absolutely nothing. And I promised that I would vote for him to be Bowser, because of another party member we get much later who can fit the theme. Actually, two of them now that I think about it.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Awww, you didn't try to pet Bowser's dog?

Thyself D. Mad
Jan 14, 2015
Tenno

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Leavemywife posted:

Nothing. I just want to get our character named Bowser out of the gate. I have no idea if anybody we recruit later would make a better Bowser than The King or ninja-dude.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
From the shadows, armed with magic scrolls, it's Bowser!, the truest ninja who always manages to succeed at sneaking off with a princess.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Definitely won't win against Bowser, but in the spirit of the previous names, I'm going to vote Left

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I vote for Bowser so we can name another character something matching later

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Call him Glenn.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Kheldarn posted:

Call him Glenn.

GAH NO WHY IS THAT A THING!
Also throwing my vote in for Bowser .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Dirk the Average posted:

Definitely won't win against Bowser, but in the spirit of the previous names, I'm going to vote Left

Right?

• Locked thread