Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

BlackPersona posted:

Got some weird tags and a Guild Name to fill in there, boss.

Don't how many to vote for, but gently caress it, we need Freyja, Nadia, Sophie, and Phoebe. You want binds, have them! Especially with that stupid Mirror Shield :argh:

loving... I did my find-replace for UntoldUnpack tags before I put those in. :suicide:

The ways I manage to gently caress up continue to astound me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

One scene a few chapters ago mentioned a timeline where humanity's completely exterminated in a "nuclear war," whatever that is.

Life is simply unfair, don't you think?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Sophie, 3x Go Nuts

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.

BlackPersona posted:

Don't how many to vote for, but gently caress it, we need Freyja, Nadia, Sophie, and Phoebe. You want binds, have them! Especially with that stupid Mirror Shield :argh:

I second this vote.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Dr. Fetus posted:

Sophie, 3x Go Nuts

Going with this vote here. Because gently caress this coming fight.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Life is simply unfair, don't you think?

There are times when a single snail can make a guild go extinct...

Oh, Ragnar's Choice X 4

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

What is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentation of their dragons.

Full humiliation please.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

4x RIP AND TEAR

Crap, I already did that as a vote gimmick. But I stand by it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Ragnar's choice x4

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The Blizzard King just looks happy to be alive.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 25: Scylla

A traditional eastern dish, kabutoyaki. It's quite a piece of work.
...Kabuto...yaki?
Around the duchy we tend to throw this part away, but in the hands of Apicius, it turns into a delicacy.
I don't really get it... but I can tell that Apicius was a great man.
I see... Kabutoyaki... We do not have a tradition of cooking those in my country. Sir Knight, what do you think?

Sounds delicious.
...I-Is that so? You seem to be very inquisitive when it comes to food.
I am... a bit hesitant to eat a grilled kabuto beetle.

It's a bit cruel.
Y-Yes, you agree, don't you!? It's a bit cruel to cook a kabuto beetle.

Dialogue merges here.

Uhhh, Arianna. Just in case you didn't know, kabutoyaki is a broiled fish head. It has nothing to do with the insect.
...Huh?
...Hm?
O-Oh... Is that so. I completely thought it was an insect dish... That was quite embarrassing.
But still... It does look a bit cruel, either way...
It's a fish head cooked whole, after all...
...Despite its looks, it tastes great. I'll add it to the menu, so order it whenever you feel like it.

Yeah, the chance of waking up sleeping enemies has decreased. What an understatement. What this actually means is that when you attack a sleeping enemy, the chance of waking them up is 25%! Also physical attacks still get a damage boost when attacking sleeping enemies, so that's a pretty powerful food right there. Certainly makes the upcoming boss' conditional easier to grab.

I just finished it. Eat up while it's hot.
Oden? ...That like a pot-au-feu?
Well, the broth is different, but you can consider the basis the same. It's a traditional dish in an eastern country, but using mustard as a condiment is another resemblance.
Hmm... It's interesting for dishes from completely different countries to have such similarities...
The way food is prepared varies greatly, but sometimes you get these coincidences. ...The desire to eat delicious foods is something that is the same for all countries, huh.

Exactly.
I'm sure Apicius made this recipe in search of delicacies here in this once-poor country.

Really?
I can't say for sure since I haven't been to every country, but I'd like to think so.

Dialogue merges here.

Tasty things are good things. That's a fact. Chloe approves.
*chuckle* Thanks. Alright, I'll put this on the menu, so order it again. I'll be waiting.

Useless. I really don't know what the devs are trying to tell us what we're supposed to use imbues for.

*huf*... *huf* *huf*...
Dame Chloe, you'll spill your food eating so hastily like that.
But... it's so good.
I'm surprised that it's so delicious, even though it's not meat!
You're right... The crab flavoring mixes with each grain of rice, and the pleasant-smelling tea is in complete harmony...
...Yeah, this old man's satisfied. Good work, kid.
That comment makes me happy, but... the both of you are spilling way too much.

Warn Chloe:

But you're supposed to eat hot things while they're hot.
Well, you're right about that. You just need to get better at eating it...

Warn Bertrand:

...Huh? Hold on a sec. Let me just finish this... *huf*... *huf*... *siiip*...

Spill your chasuke:

Huh!? Wh-What's wrong? Are you not hot? You've spilled some tea onto yourself.
Knight, calm down.
Look who's talking, Chloe. You guys...

Dialogue merges here.

...Looking at this, it seems this dish does not do well with manners.
It's just that their way of eating it is wrong.
Pouring tea onto the dish and eating is a custom from another culture. It isn't improper, so don't worry.
I see. Then... I shall eat as well!
I'll add this to the menu, so order it if you feel like eating it.

Grimoire chances have a 40% chance of being converted into an Enemy Chance. Enemy skills in EO2U are much less useful than the ones you could get in EOU. There are only 4 major exceptions I can think of since most of the good ones from EOU either aren't in this game at all, or just flat out got nerfed.

Huh? The egg shell's on the plate. ...It'll just get in the way.

It makes it look better.
I understand, Sir Knight! It is quite cute, as if the food has spilled from the egg, right?
It looks like a failed attempt at cracking the egg open to me...
How rude. And let me tell you: that shell is edible.
What? I've never heard of an egg shell you can eat.

It actually can be eaten.
Alright, then try eating it. And don't tell me you can't.

...... ......! It is crunchy and sweet!

Dialogue merges here.

That is thanks to the forest ingredients. But flavoring it with the oil when frying makes it edible.
...Interesting.
But even knowing that, it still takes a lot of courage to eat it...
Ha. Once you taste it, you won't have that problem. I'll add it to the menu, so take your time eating.

Increases Arm bind resistance by 80%. Handy.

Okay, that's all the food we can cook for now. Let's head back to the 3rd Stratum. Here's the last audio only conversation that can play there.

So much snow. Amazing.
Oh, is snow a special treat for you Dame Chloe?
Mmhm. It doesn't snow much where I lived. It doesn't get this thick.
Then you should visit Caledonia. This forest is beautiful, I'll grant. But the open fields are splendid with glittering snow are quite a sight as well.
A whole field of this? Amazing.

The quiver that runs through your entire being is the same sensation you feel when you gain new power.

...Something really intense is through here.
Yeah. I can tell from here that it's dangerous. Knight? You think this is the one we're after...?

In answer to your friend's serious question, you nod silently. If you think yourself prepared to stand up to the threat beyond this door, then throw it open and face your adversary!

Though the view is breathtaking, you see that you are not alone here...

It's... quite sizable.

H-Hey, it's up to something!
Is it ready to face us?

Any fears or doubts you harbor will get you no closer to your goal... If you are prepared to fight the monster, then draw your weapons and challenge it to battle!

Here's my setup for this fight. The upcoming boss fight is one of the biggest roadblocks in the game, but fortunately, it tends to be the final roadblock for most parties, including the Story party. Once you get past this boss, it's smooth sailing from there. Now the room has 4 ice blocks, and slamming all 4 of them into the boss will reduce her HP by 40%, which is something you really want to do! Also it lets you get a preemptive attack on her.

Scylla
Level: 42
HP: 23700
STR: 39
TEC: 38
VIT: 34
AGI: 31
LUC: 35
Skills:
  • Cry Soul: Uses the head. Deals 5-8 instances of 400% melee STR-based Cut damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Has a 30% speed modifier and base accuracy of 1.
  • Ice Shave: Uses the legs. Deals 180% ranged TEC-based Ice damage to one row. Has a 70% speed modifier and 130 base accuracy.
  • Piercing Shell: Uses the arms. Deals two instances of 110% melee STR-based Stab damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Has a 90% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Lullaby: Uses the head. Attempts to inflict sleep on each party member, with a 70% base chance. Has a 70% speed modifier.
  • Six Sins: Uses the legs. Attempts to inflict blind, paralysis, and panic on one party member, with a 25% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier.
  • Call Ally: Summons one or two Ruin Creepers, depending on when Scylla uses it, at the end of the turn.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 125% 50% 100%
Disable resistances:
50% 25% 25% 25% 50% 25% 25%
0% 0% 10%
25% 25% 25%

Oh boy, the fight against Scylla pretty much has every single problem with EO2U's boss fights in it. Let's take a look at her attack pattern to see what I mean.
  • Turn 1: Cry Soul
  • Turn 2: Ice Shave, summons 1 Ruin Creeper at end of turn
  • Turn 3: Attack or Piercing Shell
  • Turn 4: Ice Shave, summons 1 Ruin Creeper at end of turn
  • Turn 5: Attack or Piercing Shell
  • Turn 6: Cry Soul
  • Turn 7: Ice Shave, summons 1 Ruin Creeper at end of turn
  • Turn 8: Attack or Piercing Shell, summons 1 Ruin Creeper at end of turn
  • Turn 9: Attack or Piercing Shell, summons 1 Ruin Creeper at end of turn
  • Turn 10: Attack, Piercing Shell, or Ice Shave, summons 1 Ruin Creeper at end of turn
  • Turn 11: Lullaby
  • Turn 12: Cry Soul
  • Turn 13: Ice Shave, summons 1 Ruin Creeper at end of turn
  • Turn 14: Six Sins, summons 2 Ruin Creepers at end of turn
  • Turn 15: Piercing Shell, summons 1 Ruin Creeper at end of turn
  • Turn 16: Attack, Piercing Shell, or Ice Shave, summons 2 Ruin Creepers at end of turn
  • Turn 17: Lullaby
  • Turn 18: Cry Soul
  • Turn 19 until death: Repeats turns 13-18 actions, except will always summon 2 Ruin Creepers instead of 1
If you got a preemptive attack on her, move her first four turns down one turn. The attack pattern goes back to normal on turn 6. Anyways...

First of all, Scylla fights at her own pace. Unlike most other bosses, her attack pattern is not dependent on her remaining HP. Instead, it's all laid out like that. Meaning that if you don't have enough damage, her offenses will overwhelm you. Usages of Cry Soul are meant to emulate phase changes. She also constantly summons adds, which greatly slows the fight down, and they can't be ignored unless you want to get party wiped. Oh and what's worse is that if you decide to take her on without slamming any ice blocks into her, you have to deal with these FOEs as well!

Barrier Creeper
Level: 39
HP: 3980
STR: 34
TEC: 34
VIT: 29
AGI: 32
LUC: 32
Skills:
  • Tentacle Creep: Uses the legs. Attempts to stun and bind the legs of every party member, with a 60% base chance. Has a 100% speed modifier.
Damage resistances:
Disable resistances:
0% 100% 50% 75% 0% 50% 75%
50% 50% 50%
0% 0% 75%

Yeah you really don't want to deal with these things. Oh and if you do the ice puzzle correctly, you won't fight them at all. Which means that you'll have to fight Scylla at full health later in order to register these things in your Codex. These aren't the tentacles that Scylla summons. Those are actually these things.

Ruin Creeper
Level: 39
HP: 380
STR: 28
TEC: 34
VIT: 29
AGI: 28
LUC: 32
Skills:
  • Tentacle Creep: Uses the legs. Attempts to stun and bind the legs of every party member, with a 60% base chance. Has a 100% speed modifier.
Damage resistances:
Disable resistances:
0% 100% 50% 75% 0% 50% 75%
50% 50% 50%
0% 0% 75%

Despite having slightly lower STR, they still hit really hard. I'll go more into these guys a bit later. But all this makes Scylla one of the most reviled bosses in the game.

Just gonna do some setup here. Not really showing how the turn plays out since it's pretty uninteresting. (Totally not an excuse to cover up the fact that I lost those images.)

Let's get this party started.

Ha! Nailed Scylla with Paralysis that time!

One of the key aspects of getting through this fight is damage. You need lots of it, because you really don't want this fight lasting long. If you're playing with a fairly defensive team, this still applies. Unless you level ground to a ridiculous degree, no amount of defenses will save you from her 4th phase.

The other aspect is crowd control. Scylla will constantly summon Ruin Creepers. Dedicate a party member to take them out, or just use attacks that hit multiple targets. Preferably AOEs, as they're the most reliable form of crowd control. If you leave the tentacles alone, they'll overwhelm you, and will cause a game over on a Cry Soul turn.

Ice Shave turns happen to be dangerous for 2 reasons. If you don't have Ice Wall at a high enough level, that usually means your front line will go down. The other reason is that even if you do, you can't use Front Guard to protect the front line against the tentacles, and they deal a non-negligible amount of damage.

It's in your best interests to take them out as soon as possible. Sadly, the Story party's only true AOE is Arianna's Link Order II.

If Knight wasn't transformed right now, that would be half his HP gone. Now imagine there being up to 4 of those tentacles bashing away at your party on top of having to deal with Scylla's attacks and you can see why this boss is so hated.

That's a total of 1495 damage right there. Unfortunately, even after slamming all 4 ice blocks into Scylla, her HP total starts around at 14000, so we're still in for a long fight.

I should note that Chloe is dealing way more damage than Knight right now, and she isn't even the best damage dealer in the game. Yeah in case you couldn't tell, the Fafnir class is really terrible early on. Not only are a bunch of their skills gated by plot, they're really skill point hungry. They're powerful in the late and post-game, but it's gonna be a while before we reach that point.

The skills he does get through the plot do at least prevent him from being the worst class in the game, at least.

May as well get off as much damage as I can.

Since the Paralysis wore off, I'm gonna try to Blind her. The Blind food will make her a non-entity in the fight, and Chloe will be able to continually deal tons of damage with Ailing Slash.

Ugh, didn't even land.

Well, Sagittarius Shot did more damage than Flavio's other skills, at least.

If you're unlucky, Cry Soul can end up killing someone even if they don't have their evasion disabled. If that happens to more than one person, just reset the game and try the battle again.

Won't end the battle, but should make a decent dent in Scylla's HP.

:geno: That's barely more than what Chloe was dishing out before!

Still, Scylla can't take much more of this.

May as well get some extra damage in now.

Lullaby is coming up soon, and I'm gonna have Arianna block that with Prevent Order.

Aw yeah, time for Chloe to dish out the pain again!

The only thing I have to worry about now are her tentacles and her status moves. This also means that I can use Front Guard on the turns where she uses Ice Shave, to reduce the damage her tentacles deal.

I really hope your team has good crowd control, because dedicating only one person to take out the tentacles won't work unless said person has really strong multitarget skills.

Flank Shot and Illusion Step should soften up the ones currently out in battle a bit.

I also hope you have some TP recovery at your disposal, because this fight can take a very long time to beat. If you've been hoarding all the Amritas you've found, now is the time to make use of them.

Eh. Good thing I've got a surefire way to deal with those tentacles.

If you have a Survivalist, I highly recommend saving their Force Break for when there are too many tentacles on the field, so you can give your team a little breather.

Not happening.

Link Order II is also a really good way to clear out the tentacles. I hope you have that skill at a high level.

Cry Soul misses again. Let's see how much longer this fight is gonna take.

Well then.

The brick wall has been demolished! :woop:

This fight is pretty tough, even if you are as prepared as possible. It took me several attempts to get past this fight, and most of those got ruined by a tiny bit of bad RNG. I was really reliant on those ailments landing, as those were the only things that could give me enough breathing room. Don't be fooled by Ragnar's attempt at this boss. She is really tough if your party isn't capable of bursting down her large HP pool. Fortunately for the Story party, it's smooth sailing from here.

You have succeeded in slaying Scylla, the Ice Princess. But before you can say anything, a familiar figure appears.

Music stops.

The woman of the Esbat Guild is on the verge of tears as she regards Scylla's unmoving form. Several questions come to mind...

What do you mean by that?

The woman seems to not hear you as she silently approaches Scylla's still body and gazes down upon it.

The man in black arrives soon afterward to see the woman standing in a daze before Scylla's corpse. He sighs deeply.

I see... It's all over already.

His expression seems pained, and you decide to ask him what's on your mind.

What did Artelinde mean by 'sister'?
...There's no reason now to hide it. You of all people, at least, deserve to know.

Wilhelm regards the unmoving monster sadly... and then begins to answer your question.

What we fought to protect... It was the one you saw as a monster. Scylla. Before she was Scylla, the Ice Princess... She was called Marguerite. Sister to Ms. Artelinde... And proud member of Guild Esbat.
......!
H-How...!? What do you mean? Isn't Scylla a monster!?
It is all the work of the Ruler of Heaven which has dominion over this Labyrinth. Allow me to tell our story. It is an old tale, involving that Ruler and our guild. It is long, and I am uncertain where to begin...

Let's find out about this ruler.

You are not from this country, so I am unsurprised you do not know of him. It is a fable told in High Lagaard. A being who dwells in a floating castle and supervises the forest... He is called the Ruler of Heaven. His minions gather the souls of the deceased on land... granting them eternal life. A fairytale for children, yes...? In truth, we all thought so as well.

And now about Marguerite.

She was Ms. Artelinde's sister, and an extremely skilled war magus. It was her idea to create the guild of Esbat. She was very kind... and it was that kindness which cost her life. Such is not uncommon in this forest. However... it did not end as these tragedies ordinarily do. For Ms. Marguerite was selected by the Ruler of Heaven.

Once both questions have been asked, a third option pops up. We need to ask about eternal life to progress.

An inexplicable loathing spreads across the man's face for the first time.

That is what the fables call it. But it is hardly so wondrous as it sounds. You have seen the fate of those selected by the Ruler of Heaven. They lose their reason and their forms, and must live eternally as little more than monsters...
Live eternally...?
Do you recall the Flame Demon...? Her situation is the same.

If you were wondering why people were referring to Hellion/Flame Demon as female, this line is why. Yes, an unfortunate woman got turned into a spiked nipple monstrosity. Feel free to barf out of your nearest window.

Even if they're killed... they come back after a few days. Is that... what eternal life means?

Wilhelm nods quietly at Chloe's question.

We've seen it countless times. Time and again, we watched as she suffered agonizing pain, mercilessly rent limb from limb... Over and over, death came down upon her...

Wilhelm's tone as he speaks is heavy and detached, and his words are swallowed by the white forest.

...That's why you kept explorers away from Scylla's domain.
That's right. Ms. Marguerite... was a kind woman. For her to do harm to others would be nothing less than Hell itself to her. That is why milady decided that we would intercept them all.
...... It was... all for her sister's sake...?

You know now why Guild Esbat slew so many explorers of this whitened forest. A heavy silence falls upon the room... As you struggle for words, the woman standing before the unmoving monster... her sister... speaks at a whisper.

...Were we wrong to do what we did?

It was wrong.
...You're right. I'm... certain my sister would've said the same. It's so strange. I can practically hear her. Still... What... should I have done?

The woman's voice trembles until it becomes a sob, and her voice quietly echoes through the white forest.

I suspect... we had lost our way from the very beginning.

The man clad in black mutters sadly and helps the sobbing woman carefully to her feet.

As the woman stands uneasily, she looks to you with puffy eyes.

I... We're going to think about what we should've done. Maybe it's too late, but...

She nods.

Goodbye, Knight.

The two members of Guild Esbat vanish from the forest, supporting one another as they go.

Those people... they seem so troubled.
But they chose to live... That must be how they'll atone for what they did.
Atonement, huh...

Oh boy, this skill. It's probably the most broken skill Knight will get, and is what truly turns him into a powerhouse. What this skill does is that it sacrifices Knight's current turn, in exchange for being able to select up to 3 different actions on the next turn, on top of being given priority! One of the reasons I said that even Scylla is the last true roadblock for a Story party is because of this skill.

Hm? Is this true, Sir Knight?

Though the mood had been grim, a stirring of excitement passes through the group. You have now gathered all the power needed for the ritual... You decide to leave the forest and head to Ginnungagap.

Okay, now that we're done with this floor, let's head on up to the next Stratum!

Oh come on! Not even a sneak peek? Whatever, let's go back to town.

I dunno, but this expedition... just made me really tired.
...A lot of things happened.
Yes... a great deal has happened.
But this should be the end. All that remains is for us to go to Ginnungagap.

I'm going to miss all of you.
Sir Knight...
Don't worry. There's a good chance that this ritual might require a little more time and effort to complete. After all, judging by what happened before, we might be told that we still need to obtain more power.
Yeah, that does sound likely.
Eh, don't worry too much about it. I'll be sure to end it this time. C'mon, let's get going. To the depths of the world...

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Voting is closed.

quote:

My choice: 22
Sophie: 4
Phoebe: 2
Nadia: 2
Freyja: 2

Evidently we have a bunch of comic book Doomguys in here.

Phoebe, Freyja, Stardust, Milly, Sophie. We've used this party before, and it'll be just as glorious now.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Scylla events are handled a lot better in Story Mode, I'd say.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 26: Revelations

Okay, now that we have Scylla's power, we need to complete the next step of the ritual. So we need to head back here.

Sir Knight has gained a new power since we were here last, which should mean...

You step forward as Arianna speaks.

So, you've acquired another power.
Are you... the Black Guardian?
Ginnungagap links the world of the living with the world thereafter. You needed the power to unseal that boundary... Which it seems you now have. Thus, you must partake in the final part of the ritual here.

Oh by the way, this warning? In Story Mode, the game lets you know about the upcoming gimmick of the next part of Ginnungagap. In Classic, the game only tells you about the gimmick after you have entered the 3rd floor, and it's too late to leave! Oh and unlike in Classic, you don't have to come here at night to get to the next part.

You mean... we can't go back to town at all until it's done?
Indeed. Until you reach the Door of Boundaries in the depths of the next floor, I forbid you to return to the surface.
That's inconvenient.
You may return now, before the ordeal begins, if you must. Though if you are prepared, we may begin.

And the game even lets you go back to prepare. But yeah, if you're not the kind of player that likes to go through floors in 1 go, this next floor can be a very nasty surprise. The game does give you a bit of help to get through it, but I'll get into that later. Anyways, I'm already prepared, so let's get this show on the road.

My mind's made up.

You nod decisively, telling the Black Guardian that your mind is resolved. All at once, a white light fills the room, enveloping your entire guild...!

I think it's in Ginnungagap?

Chloe's tone is unsure, but the answer is provided by a familiar voice.

That is correct. This is deep within Ginnungagap, at the border of the world of the living. It is here in this place that you must find the Door of Boundaries.
Door of Boundaries, you say...?
It is both a path between the world of the living and the dead, and a seal. It is well-protected and hard to find. Reach it on your own merits, and the ritual will truly end.

The voice fades and your party is once more alone in this alien place.

...I don't see anything like stairs around here. Was the Black Guardian serious about not letting us leave?
Does the Ariadne Thread work?
She seemed pretty clear that leaving would be forbidden, so I'd assume not.
I feel some trepidation about this...

You try to think of something to say in response to Arianna's worries...

My heart's pounding too...
Um... Sir Knight? W-Would that be because of me?
Honored though I am to hear it, you and I don't have such a close relationship. I do of course see you as a friend, but...
Uhhh, I hate to be the one to correct her here...
But I think Knight meant his heart's pounding in fear.
Oh?
Ah... My sincerest apologies.
Haha, listening to you two helps me stay relaxed.

However, after this, the protector quickly turns serious for once and looks around anxiously. Though he puts up a cheerful front, there seems to be tension underlying it, since this is the final ordeal. In any case, you decide to heed the Black Guardian's warning and press on.

And so begins the final step of the ritual. So going through the floor in one go may seem like a daunting task, but there are a few bones that Atlus throws you to help you get through it.

These chests all contain Return Flutes, which are handy because there are a few FOE puzzles on this floor. And it's easy to mess them up and get cornered.

The other bone that the game devs throw you are these little guys. What do they do?

Well here's Knight with a broken Force Gauge. Also I used up Arianna's Force Break to restore everyone's HP and TP.

If you leave Axolotls alone for a few turns, they'll use Blessed Light, which not only refills your Force Gauges, but restores any broken ones too. With this in mind, you can use Arianna's Proof of Nobility Force Break to restore your party's TP, and use Chloe's Fairy Robe Force Break to keep your party's HP topped off. Sustain isn't a problem for the Story party here. But be careful not to kill the Axolotl, as they'll break your Force Gauges instead if you do.

Oh, and unlike in the past EO games, suicides don't deny your party exp, or their item drops. So there's really no good reason to kill them.

Anyways that's all I wanted to say, and show off for this floor. Oh and here's an audio only conversation in Ginnungagap I forgot to show off earlier.

Hm.
What's the matter, Chloe?
Nothing. I was looking at Trand.
Oh he's falling behind once again. Hmhm. Sir Bertrand truly does everything at his own pace, hm?
I... don't think that's it.

As you continue the ordeal, the woman beside you speaks softly.

That voice did say this was the last test. Just hang in there a little longer, kid.
We'll be saying goodbye to this hole in no time.
Goodbye...
What's wrong?
Oh, nothing. It just occurred to me that I'll be departing from High Lagaard once the ritual is over.
It seems a shame, since I've become so close to all of you.
Yeah... You'll go back home to Caledonia. What about you, kid? Gonna head back to the Midgard Library?

I'll go back to the Library, yes.
Makes sense. You grew up there, after all. I'm not surprised it's near to your heart.
Well, wherever you go, you should enjoy life while you can.
You can write your own ticket. I guarantee it.
What's this all about, old man? You're acting a little creepy.
Ahh, talking about the promise of the future just gets me thinking, that's all. So tell me, Flavio. What're you planning on doing after...
Oh, but why ask? You'll just be a burr on Knight's boot.
What's that supposed to mean!?

The group chats idly about their plans for the future as you continue exploring.

Okay, now let's skip to the end of the floor here.

A Geomagnetic Pole?
Hmm, I don't know. Aren't those usually found in the Yggdrasil Labyrinth?
Well, this one is found in Ginnungagap. I dub it the Ginnungagap Pole!
Uh, I wasn't trying to spark a debate on what to call it...
Anyway, the Black Guardian said we can't go back until we find the Door of Boundaries, so it's probably no use.

Go touch it and see, Flavio.
Come on! Why me!? You're the leader here, you should be volunteering yourself!
Actually, please do just that...

You can try touching this Pole as Flavio suggests, or you can leave it alone and proceed onward into the ruins.

The Black Guardian spoke true. We will not see High Lagaard again until we have found the Door of Boundaries.
So... if we do that, do you think this Geomagnetic Pole will start working?
Possibly. There's no guarantee.

It'll work once we find that door.
Indeed. We may reach it sooner than we anticipated, so let us go forth.

Well you can actually save here, but that's about it.

The glow is unearthly... divine, yet somehow also cold.

Is this... the Door of Boundaries?
Daughter of the Mark. And Knight, the knight with the power of Fafnir. You've done well to reach here. This is your destination. The Door of Boundaries, which separates the world of the living and the world beyond. Now, Knight. The new Fafnir Knight. Your passage through this door in the depths of Ginnungagap shall end the ritual.

What is the next part of the ritual?
Since you have mastered every trial... You will inherit the mantle of the Black Guardian from this point on. That is my final duty... You will serve as Guardian of these lands in my stead for the next hundred years.

Wait wait what.

The Guardian's shocking revelation leaves you at a loss for words... But there is still more you must know, and so you decide to ask the Guardian another question.

What is the world beyond?
The world beyond is a place apart from the world of the living. It is a dark place, where man should not be. Our ancestors created these lands to seal away the indestructible Calamity.

What is this dreadful evil?
It's as I told you before. I speak of the evil slumbering deep within the earth. It is an immense monstrosity that cannot be defeated by the might of man. Sealing it, and safeguarding that seal, is the duty of the Fafnir Knight.
You know... the way you talked about that earlier reminded me of something. I heard it at the Library. It was a strange phenomenon that happened in this one town... A Library team met with a catastrophic force that would have shattered the city and devoured its people. Fortunately, they averted the disaster. There was supposedly a tree called Yggdrasil in that town, too...

This is referring to the events of Etrian Odyssey Untold's Story Mode. (Not Classic Mode, things play out way differently there.)

I know not whether this force you speak of and the Calamity are one and the same. All I can say is this... There is a power dormant in these lands that can destroy this world entire. If we do not zealously protect the seal, then at the very least, the Duchy of High Lagaard would be rubble within moments.
No...!
An evil sleeps in these lands... and the Black Guardian exists to keep it at bay. These things, I understand.
But what reason was there for Sir Knight to undergo such a transformation? And must he go alone to complete the ritual in the depths...? Can we not accompany him?
Daughter of the Mark... Daughter of Caledonia. There is a cruel truth I must impart to you. Heed my words. I will tell you first of the past... the beginning of everything. In ancient times, the first Lady of High Lagaard discovered the dreadful Calamity, and thought to slay it. Alas... in the face of its immeasurable power, she was forced to abandon this idea and devise an alternative plan. That plan was to seal the Calamity to protect the world. For this, she created a source of power surpassing that of man. That is the power of Fafnir. It is my power as the Black Guardian, and is also what affected Knight.
Power surpassing that of man...?
Indeed. The reason Knight can change form is because he has become something more than human. A Fafnir's duty is to maintain the seal, alone, in the depths of Ginnungagap for the next hundred years. Even the surpassing power of Fafnir cannot last longer than that, alas. Thus, the first Lady granted her own daughter the power to select a Fafnir, and founded a Duchy to pass it down. All to ensure the ritual is performed each century, to bestow the power of Fafnir onto someone worthy of protecting the seal...
But then...! Not only did I inflict this change of form on Sir Knight... But I have forced upon him the duty of protecting the seal alone in these lands for the next century!?
Knight... Daughter of the Mark… I understand your surprise. Yet this role has been played since ancient times. Many have been selected by a Lady to protect the seal as a Guardian. You will be another in that line.

The voice gives a small sigh before continuing.

...You will need time to say your farewells to your traveling companions. Say them now, and when your resolve is firm, open the Door of Boundaries. It opens onto a path to the world beyond... to the Hall of Sealing, where man cannot exist. There, you will undergo the final inheritance of Fafnir's power, and become the Black Guardian.

Even after the Guardian's voice fades, no one dares speak a word. Some are merely troubled by this sudden revelation, while others weep in anguish. None of them, however, seem to have an idea of what to say. Yet it is you whom the world's fate has been entrusted to... If your resolve is clear, then stand before the door.

Yeah you know what, screw this, I'm outta here.

You must carefully consider all that has happened, and harden your resolve before approaching the Door of Boundaries.

Oh fine.

By shedding your humanity to become the Black Guardian, you can maintain the seal and protect the world from the Calamity. Whereas if you reject the mantle of the Black Guardian, the sealed Calamity will bring great catastrophe to these lands.

Nope.

Yet if you elect not to become the Guardian, it will surely mean an end to this world. The companions at your side, and the citizens of the town that has supported you... all will be no more. Knowing this, you cannot conscionably choose this path...

Guess we don't have a choice, then.

If you do not become the Guardian, this world will be in jeopardy. Unable to abandon the companions you've come to know, you reach the only answer that you can. You have chosen your own fate... You turn around and speak of your resolve to your guildmates.

Why do you have to sacrifice yourself for this!?
He is right. It is my country's ritual... I-It was I who chose you...! It flies in the face of reason for you to sacrifice yourself, Sir Knight!

The two plead tearfully to try and dissuade you, but your resolve is firm. You speak up to try and convince the pair that it must be done.

You'll come visit me, I hope.
You moron! Don't even joke about that! You're coming back with me to the Midgard Library!
Listen to Sir Flavio! There is no need for you to sacrifice yourself...!

Seeing that the two persist with their protests despite your reassurances, the young girl quietly speaks.

I don't like it either. But if Knight has decided...
Dame Chloe...?
Knight knows what he's doing. It's his fate to choose.

Chloe then bites her lip and falls silent.

Maybe so, but...!
...... Then let's go to the door.
Hey!
Knight's made up his mind. This isn't something outsiders get to decide.
Outsiders...

Her countenance is uncharacteristically solemn, with a sternness to it that makes you hesitate to approach.

On the subject of outsiders... Everyone here is an outsider besides myself!
Arianna!?
Sir Knight, Sir Flavio, Sir Bertrand, Dame Chloe...
All of you were merely accompanying me on my ritual. It is I, the Daughter of the Mark, who ought to carry it out!
As the Daughter of the Mark, and a scion of Caledonia, I offer my life...!
Wha...!?
Arianna, no!

Aah!
...Lady of the Mark, stop this. The world beyond is dangerous for humans. Simply touching the door is enough to wound. Walking through it will drain your life away. Only one whom the ritual has changed into something inhuman can open the door to the world beyond.
I-I won't accept that...! I-I... I did not choose Sir Knight for this fate...!
Arianna...
...Everyone here understands that.

Bertrand helps the sobbing woman back to her feet, and then puts her arms on yours.

Sir Knight...

You've done your part.
It isn't enough! I... I...!

The woman begins to sob as she clings to you...

Knight... I don't want this to happen...!

Flavio and Chloe also gaze intently at you, as if rejecting your farewell. Of them all, only Bertrand stands beside you, with that same easygoing smile.

You guys... You're so hopeless. Didn't you hear what this old man said? It's not something outsiders get a say in.
Wh... We aren't...!
Nope, we're outsiders. All but me, that is.

Trand!

You all watch, expecting Bertrand to be injured, just as Arianna was… But the blue light does not reject the protector's touch, and continues to illuminate the room.

Didn't the ritual choose me?

In the last ritual, you see.
Old man... Your hand... It's just like Knight's...
Well, there you have it.
This old man's a Knight from the last century, who's outlived his usefulness without ever carrying out the ritual. It was me who caused the anomaly last time. So... doesn't it make sense that I take responsibility now?
I know you'd made up your mind, Knight, but let me take this one.

This isn't funny at all!
C'mon, at least let me act cool for once... and not as a joke. To be honest, I was never cut out for this. I thought it'd be way easier to ditch responsibility and run from it all. But once I spent some time with you guys... I realized that wasn't right. I want to face up to my mistakes. That's why I'm choosing this.

Bertrand takes a quiet but definite step towards the Door of Boundaries...

Trand! I-I don't want this! I want to be with you!
Chloe... Try to understand... okay?
Trand... ......
You three get it, right?

That's my duty.
...That's where you're wrong. The old man has to set things right himself.

The protector gives you a troubled smile. You are at a loss for what to say to Bertrand, and simply stare at him...

Seeing the look on the protector's face, it is clear to you that he has already made up his mind. But is this truly how it must be? This ritual that has gone on for hundreds of years... the power that surpasses humankind... It all feels terribly wrong to you...

Isn't there another way?
...What?
I... think he may be right. Sir Bertrand... You put me in mind of Sir Hrothgar and the duo from Esbat we have met. They, too, were trapped by their past, unable to move on...
Trapped by their past...

Bertrand's face grows pained to hear the woman's words, but he shakes his head and responds to her.

That's easy for you to say... but what am I supposed to do? The job is to live alone down here to protect these lands... hell, the entire world... for a hundred years. Even with that much at stake, a hundred years is way too long.

Bertrand mutters while glancing towards you, and you can see a deep sadness in his eyes.

This isn't just making up for my past. It's a duty I have to carry out.
Besides, if I don't do it... it'll end up being you who has to clean up the mess.
Sir Bertrand...
Old man...

No one has to be sacrificed!

You once said to Hrothgar... “Don't dwell over past sins. Keep your mind on the needs of those still alive." You once said to the Esbat guild... “Dying is no way to atone for your past." Now, the protector before you seeks to sacrifice himself to his past, leaving a young girl close to him behind. In your view, this would be a serious mistake.

Sir... Knight?
Whoa, hey...!

As the others stare at you dumbfounded, you quickly stride to the Door of Boundaries and reach towards it.

Hey, wait! Knight!
No! I don't want Trand to go... but I don't want Knight gone either!

You pause, hearing the loving voices that call out to you... And then you pass through the Door of Boundaries as the Fafnir Knight, leaving your humanity behind.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 5, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Bertrand, you can't reclass from being a Fafnir Knight. Stop modding the game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. I wonder if the party's going to have to go on without Knight for a while.

Who'd be doing damage in that case? ...Chloe?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Why is nobody talking about the fact that holy crap Betrand is over a hundred years old ohmygod WHAT

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Just wait and see goons. Just waaaaaait and see what's gonna happen.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 27: Circuit Breakers

...Flavio. Are you okay?
...Of course I'm not okay.
Knight's gone! He's... He's gone somewhere we'll never be able to reach! We won't ever talk to him again...! Why are you all so calm!? Knight's never coming back!
Sir Flavio... I understand how you feel, but we must have faith in Sir Knight. I am sure that Sir Knight... will not simply give up his life. He must be searching for another way.
So...
Tch... S-Sorry. I... I lost control of myself. ...I'm sorry, Chloe... and Arianna. I was taking my anger out on you.
...It's okay. You were good friends with Knight since you were little.
...I understand how you feel.
...Let's all just calm down and take a breather. We need some rest, or we're going to collapse...
...Mm. Let's head to the inn.

A-Ah...
...It's okay. You don't have to say a thing. I have your rooms all ready. Go on, get some rest.
Thanks...
...Let's head to our rooms, and have a good night's rest, then.
Yeah. Might be pointless to try... but we can decide on things after we get some rest.

Meanwhile...

It is here that you will become the next Black Guardian, as I did. Come, and I will explain to you about the Calamity you must seal.

This is the same hallway that Knight first came through when he got his powers.

A creature is heard roaring.

The Calamity dwells beyond this door. It drains life energy to claim it as its own. When it has consumed all the energy around it, it goes in search of more sustenance. To prevent that, we must devote our lives to keeping it chained here.

What do you mean?
Those of us who can become the Fafnir Knight possess life energy surpassing that of ordinary man... Ginnungagap drains the life energy of the Fafnir within it, supplying it to the Calamity that dwells in this room. In other words... it is by feeding on us that the Calamity is kept in check.

What about the seal?
It is sealed by giving it our life. That is what keeps it here. It is the only way to contain such a powerful monstrosity.

That lasts for a century?
No matter how much energy we possess, it fades after a hundred years. That is the extent of our lifespan.

Can't the Calamity be defeated!?
...Defeat it, hm? Its size is monstrous, and its rage terrible. It fights with the strength of a demon, and has nearly infinite regenerative capabilities. It would be futile for a human, even with the power of Fafnir, to challenge it. If one could, then the ancient...

But the Black Guardian trails off there, shaking their head.

It is useless to voice one's dreams without reality to support them. But enough of this. I will now begin the transfer of power from myself to you. This process will make you a Guardian. When it is complete, I will be no more, leaving you as guardian of these lands.

...Can you wait a moment?
If you need a moment, use the time during the transference ritual. Then I will release my power to you. After that power is condensed by Ginnungagap, you will inherit it. The process will take a full day. At this time tomorrow, you will be the new Black Guardian. This will be your last day with a human mind and body... Rest in peace, Knight.

Morning, kid.
Morning, Arianna.
...Morning, Arianna. Did you manage to get much sleep last night?
...Yeah, thought not. It's hard to just forget it all and relax, knowing that Knight's gone. ...What are we supposed to do now?
Regarding that... I have given some consideration to my next course of action...
...What are you planning on doing?
I will go to where Knight is.
But Knight's all the way underground...
I know... he has taken on the duty of protecting the seal within the depths of Ginnungagap. But...
...I have realized that I can also aid him in protecting the seal. As princess of Caledonia, I cannot abandon Knight to carry this burden on his own.
Kid... The Black Guardian already told us that their world is too rough for humans.
Yes, perhaps it is dangerous... but I cannot bear that we will never see Knight again...
Even if certain peril awaits me... I wish to remain in that place by Knight's side... together.
......Arianna.
...I feel the same.
I want to see Knight. At least one more time. I... I want to see if there's anything that I can do to help him.
...Flavio.
Then I'll go too. A lot of things happened yesterday… It was shocking. But we're here today thanks to Knight. That made me happy. That's why... I want to help Knight.
...Chloe.
Yeah, I guess I feel the same way. I can probably find some way to make myself useful. ...It's not like I don't have a plan, after all.
Sir Bertrand?
Ah, nothing. Old man muttering to himself. Don't pay it any attention.
Alright then. The one who rejected my resolve, one hundred years ago... It's high time I paid them a visit.

Has the transference of power that the Black Guardian spoke of begun...? Having noticed your awakening, the Black Guardian appears in your sight.

...Hm!?

The screen shakes.

...What was that?
An earthquake? No, this is...

The Guardian tenses and looks up at the ceiling.

Intruders!? This world beyond is cut off from the world of the living... yet someone has entered without permission!

What will happen?
If they are ordinary humans, they will perish while wandering within the world beyond. Yet I fear this bodes ill... The air is growing stagnant, and the walls of Ginnungagap are creaking strangely. I can only hope that this does not affect the transference...

Who could it be?
I do not know. Though... perhaps...

The Black Guardian seems to stare at you intently.

Whoever they are, it will be revealed if we check the upper floors. I cannot move from here. The transference depends on it. But my voice will reach you anywhere in Ginnungagap, and thus it falls to you to investigate these intruders.

Listen to me, Knight. You must investigate the aberration in these lands and deal with it promptly. If you do not, the transference of power will be interrupted... It is too delicate and important a task for that.

You nod at the Guardian's echoing words, but just as you are about to begin, you hear familiar voices.

Yeah... It was only a day ago, but it feels like it's been forever.
I'm glad you're okay, Knight. But...

The black-robed girl's expression darkens, and it is then that you notice her constant companion Bertrand is absent.

Why are you here?
We wished to see you once more, Sir Knight. If it is your fate to protect the seal here alone... I had hoped to at least accompany you along the way.
Such was our intent in coming here, but a curious thing happened as we passed through that door.

The woman's face grows somber as she glances at the empty space next to Chloe.

Where's Bertrand?
That's...
We came back to Ginnungagap because we wanted to see you one more time. But when the old man opened that Door of Boundaries...
There was this intense rumbling, and the next thing we knew, the old man was gone.

As the others express their bewilderment at Bertrand's disappearance... The Guardian's voice echoes in your mind.

I see. This is... unexpected. For another with the mark to come here during the transference of power... I understand the situation now. I had intended to take you into the Hall of Succession at the last moment of the transference. But now that another with the mark has approached the Hall of Succession, the system believes him to be the successor.
You mean... Trand?
Yes. Ginnungagap detected his mark, mistook him for the successor, and began its process. There have never been two with the mark before... This is unfortunate. I could not have foreseen it...
What must we do?

Though even if you enter the Hall of Succession now, the power flows into him as we speak. It will be difficult to move him at this stage. Thus, there is only one way.

The power flows in from four locations. You must go there without delay.

And so, the voice fades...

So, Knight. Uh... what's the plan here?

We have to find Bertrand!

You tell the others that the problem is another Fafnir coming here while the Black Guardian's power was being transferred.

So that's what happened... I'm sorry about this, Knight.
It was just... we couldn't stand the idea of you shouldering all the responsibility...

You listen to Flavio's tale of how they could not help but come to you.

Yeah... it's a bit of a pain.
S-Sorry... Really, I am.

Still, you smile at your friends and tell them that you need to search for the missing Bertrand. The three of them nod eagerly, and begin exploring Ginnungagap with you...

This Geomagnetic Pole can be used to go back to High Lagaard in case you need to restock.

...I don't really know what's going on, but I can still get you a cup of tea. Take some time to relax.

All the townsfolk have something new to say as well.

Oh, I'm sorry... I was just remembering... some things...

Uhh... N-No, nevermind! Were you, um... interested in buying anything...?

...No, I'm not going to pry into your business. Do what you need to do to get him back. I'll be waiting here.

And now, smooth as anything, yeh head back to yer “real job" at hand... Well! Ain't yeh just the greatest! ...But I would prefer yeh finish with yer job and get back to explorin'. Why? Well, yeh know... Without yeh explorin', where am I gonna get all those stories to tell my customers!?

That legend of explorers who delve too deep being taken to the floating castle... Perhaps it's not just an old myth after all. What could be behind this castle in the sky...? I wish I could ask you to find the truth for us... However, I understand the ruins must take priority for you. These days, I keep forgetting that you're not actually explorers... I'll have to work on that.

It is... somewhat saddening to know that you will be leaving once the ritual has been completed. ... Seems I'm getting a little too sentimental. I will be praying that you will succeed.

What very interesting and enlightening conversations. Now back to the matter at hand.

We're not allowed to head back into the Labyrinth or Ginnungagap B1F or B2F until we get this done.

Okay!

This is because we are stuck with 4 party members for the entire floor! Not only that, the one party member that got taken away was our defensive support. To compensate for that, there aren't any new enemies, and the encounter formations on this floor are slightly easier than they were on the 3rd floor. There are still Axolotls on this floor, so feel free to take advantage of Arianna's Force Break is needed.

In Classic Mode, the 4 man party gimmick is not forced upon them, and they are allowed to use Protectors if they want to. So there's a bit of a difficulty drop there.

Is this where that voice said to go? Where the circuit is?

Chloe looks around her, but sees no such device...

...What could this be?

Though Arianna is perplexed, you sense a mysterious power flowing about the empty air.

The moment you reach out, the power dissipates and silence returns. The other three appear to have sensed the invisible flow when you reached out to it.

Knight seems to have done something just now... Are we all done here, then?

In response to the young man's uncertain tone, the Black Guardian's voice sounds.

The flow of power has ceased. Stop the three remaining circuits and the transference will be halted.

With that, the voice fades again.

Our task is clear, then.
Mm-hm... We'll do our best to save Trand.

The whole guild, united in purpose, moves on in search of the next circuit.

Oh and after breaking one circuit, some FOEs appear. These guys can immediately teleport to the other side of any walls they run into, so navigating this place can be a bit of a hassle.

You can tell that the mysterious power is rich within this empty space.

We're half done. I wonder if the old man's okay...
Come now, Sir Flavio. You needn't look so worried! I'm certain that he's well. Let's have faith in him and stride onward.
You're right... Worrying about him isn't going to help him any.
Alright, Knight. Let's go find that next circuit!

You nod to your friend, who hides his fears behind a cheerful demeanor, before moving on in search of the remaining circuits.

Third one.

Chloe speaks out at a dead end where you see nothing, as before. You can tell that the mysterious power is rich within this empty space.

Only one remains now!
Then Trand will be saved.

You forge onward in order to accomplish your goal of saving Bertrand.

Just as before, Arianna looks to you at a dead end. You can tell that the mysterious power is rich within this empty space.

And we're done.

When you reach out, the mysterious power disappears, as if banished.

That's... all of them, yes?

The woman smiles to you cheerfully. As you nod to each other, you hear a familiar voice speak to you...

Can... hear me...? Can you hear me, Knight...?
Is this... the Guardian!?

Are we done now?
You have indeed halted the flow of power that was being transferred. However... Bertrand is in the Hall of Succession, suffering due to the power that has flowed into him. That power is already trying to change him.

What should we do?
Go to the Hall of Succession quickly and remove him from these lands. If you don't... the man with the mark will be swallowed by that power.
Swallowed...?
The abilities of Fafnir that Knight should have gained are being inherited by another with the mark. I suspect the ritual will work improperly if someone who is not the champion I certified were to inherit them. What I do know is that if it doesn't go as planned... the one with the mark will be left neither human nor Fafnir...
That's... not good, is it?
It is the worst-case scenario. If it came to pass, Ginnungagap would be no more, and I would be the last Black Guardian. That is why you must hurry, Knight. He is in the Hall of Succession.

The group's faces harden after hearing the Black Guardian's speech.

Sir Knight! We must hurry to save Sir Bertrand!
Right. The old man must be tired of waiting for us.
Wait for us, Trand!

Your guildmates look to you, and you nod your assent before you hurry to the Hall of Succession as a team.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

And now you can see why this dungeon was balanced around four people.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Four person dungeon crawling was a neat experience for Story Mode IMO. This was probably one of the cooler parts of Etrian Odyssey for me, just breaking the formula and everything.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
The whole Axolotl thing is a pretty neat way of ensuring the floor's gimmick doesn't screw over the Story team (who can't change lineup to compensate for any problems they might have), since they are guaranteed to have a Sovereign in the party. I just got through this recently myself, and it was honestly pretty cool. Also, bless you for machinegunning these, Dr. Fetus; if I weren't playing along I think the suspense would be pretty brutal.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 28: Demi-Fafnir

As the woman speaks, you hear a familiar voice echoing.

He has reached the Hall of Succession...
Is Trand okay?
I do not know. But I do sense power gathering now within the Hall... If left unchecked, that power will flow into him. You must hurry and stop this.

Okay, let's rescue Betrand.

With the first step inside the door, an intense heat surrounds you.

Trand...

In the center of the room is the man you have been seeking!

We've come to rescue you.

Rescue me...?

Bertrand's voice turns cheerful as he responds to you.

Haha... You seem... fine. I guess my hunch... was right. I thought you'd get released... if I took your place during the process...

The man's breathing is labored, and he looks to be in so much pain that he might collapse at any moment.

Trand...!

The black-robed girl starts to rush to his side, but the man stops her sharply.

Don't come near me!
Sir Bertrand...!?

Though you halt in your tracks, Bertrand backs away, putting more distance between himself and your group.

Old man? What's wrong!?

You have to return to the surface!
Sorry... I can't... The power... flowing into me... it's... Ngh...!

The unnatural vortex of heated wind continues to whip around Bertrand as he glances about.

No! The power that should be yours... It is all flowing into that man!

:stare: Uhh, that's not good.

No way... the old man... he's turned into a monster!?
Sir Bertrand...

It's no use, we have to fight!
Fight Trand...!?
Ngh... Is that our only option!?
To think things would turn out this way...
Guardian! Isn't there any way to return Sir Bertrand to normal?
...... ...There is one possibility. The reason that he has gone berserk and become a monster is because the power in this room is flowing into him. If you can stop him before that power settles within him, thereby releasing him from its grip... There is a chance that he will be saved and the transference of power will take place as planned.
Knight...

All right. Leave it to us.
Thank you, Knight. Then I pass on the power remaining in this room, and the last of the power that I hold, to you... Fafnir Knight. It is time for you to become this generation's Black Guardian!

Akashic Nova is the exact same skill as Ignition Ray, only its targeting type is AOE instead of single. The damage output doesn't even change. But this is the final power Knight will get in Story mode.

You now have power equal to that of the past Guardians. Now, go!

Knight actually starts out the fight transformed (And has a new look to boot), which is a bit unfortunate for me since that means I don't have time to set up a Delayed Chase. So, Demi-Fafnir.

Demi-Fafnir
Level: 43
HP: 10800
STR: 31
TEC: 35
VIT: 35
LUC: 33
Skills:
  • Rising Flame: Uses the head. Deals 120% ranged TEC-based Fire damage to the party. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Release Flame: Cannot be disabled. Summons two Control Devices. Deals 15% (if only one Control Device is alive) or 80% (if both are alive) ranged TEC-based Fire damage to the party at the end of each turn for 4 turns. Release Flame ends when both Control Devices are killed. If the final Control Device is killed with an end-of-turn action (such as Additional Palm) or gets killed within the same turn they are summoned, Release Flame will become bugged--the visual effect will persist, but no damage will be dealt. All further Release Flames will not deal any damage.
  • Nihil Blade: Cannot be disabled. Deals 110% melee STR-based Cut damage to one party member, with splash damage. Attempts to bind hit targets' arms, with a 20% base chacne. Has a 120% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Flame Formation: Cannot be disabled. Deals 10 instances of 50% (if both Control Devices are dead), 150% (if only one is alive), or 500% (if both are alive) ranged TEC-based Fire damage to random targets. Has a 0% speed modifier and 150 base accuracy.
  • Condemn Blade: Cannot be disabled. Deals two instances of 70% melee STR-based Cut damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Has an 80% speed modifier and 90 base accuracy.
  • Overpower: Uses the head. Reduces the party's physical/elemental attack by 30% for 4 turns. Attempts to inflict fear on each party member, with a 30% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier.
  • Soundless Blade: Cannot be disabled. Deals 110% melee STR-based Cut damage to one party member, with line-piercing effect. Attempts to inflict blind on and bind the heads of hit targets, with a 20% base chance. Has a 120% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 0% 100% 125%
Disable resistances:
50% 100% 0% 0% 0% 25% 0%
0% 0% 10%
25% 0% 75%

Demi-Fafnir is a... special boss. He's weaker than Scylla in a lot of aspects. Most of his stats are lower than hers, and overall his skills don't deal that much damage. However the reason for all that is pretty clear as we still have only 4 party members to work with, and our defensive support is still gone! Now the fight itself isn't all that bad, it just has to be approached differently. (Assuming you didn't reclass anybody, and don't have a bunch of Protector Grimoires to cheese the fight with.) Demi-Fafnir can't really one shot your party members (unless you ignore the incredibly weak adds for some reason), instead he'll just gradually grind your party down, so unless your existing defense outpaces Demi-Fafnir's offense, going all in on offense is a bad idea.

I should note that in Classic mode, Demi-Fafnir is an entirely different fight. And by entirely different, I mean hilariously anti-climactic. The boss itself is exactly the same in Classic mode. But Classic parties are free to bring in 5 people for the fight, and can bring in a defensive support like a Protector or a Beast to reduce Demi-Fafnir's low damage output to pretty much nothing. You think they would have gotten a buffed up version of the boss to fight, but then again, looking at the game files heavily implies that Ginnungagap was a last minute addition for Classic, and not much could be changed there.

Now you'd think that with the cutscene beforehand making a big deal about the heat, that Demi-Fafnir's weakness would be Ice. Nope, it's Volt for some reason. Probably has to do something with the fact that this boss wasn't even intended to be Demi-Fafnir in the first place. (Read Ragnar's update about this guy to find out more about that. Also to see how utterly pathetic it is in Classic mode.)

Gonna risk going on the offensive a bit. If Flavio doesn't land the blind, I'll have to play more defensively.

Bah.

Hm, not a good start.

Only about 600 damage for the turn.

I'll try to have Flavio inflict the blind again, and have Arianna join in on attacking as well.

Well that didn't work, and now Arianna is on the verge of death.

At least we took away a decent chunk of his health.

I don't really like using Guard Order, since I find that skill to be unnecessary when I can just use Front Guard, but as you can see, I don't exactly have access to that skill right now.

Oh and after you take off enough of his HP, he summons adds.

Control Device
Level: 43
HP: 400
STR: 36
TEC: 35
VIT: 35
LUC: 33
Skills: N/A
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 0% 100% 125%
Disable resistances:
0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 0%

...Really? You summon these dinky little things!? Sure they're a bit stronger than Scylla's tentacles, but she summons those constantly. Demi-Fafnir only summons these at set points.

Dispatch the Control Devices fast, as the flames they release will deal a small amount of damage to the party every turn. And since it's an end of turn effect, not even Fire Wall can protect the party against this.

Normally I wouldn't give up 3 turns of guaranteed full damage Ailing Slashes for a party heal, but as you can see, this isn't a normal fight.

This is kind of overkill for the Control Devices, but I doubt the fight will last long enough for Flavio to get a 2nd Force Boost going.

Throughout this battle, I'm also using Arianna's buffs as a way to slightly heal my team. I don't really recommend actually using her buffs for that in other battles, but it's a nice way to mitigate Demi-Fafnir's damage here.

Okay, now I'm back on my feet with everyone fully healed.

Yeah, complete overkill there. Flavio could have done twice as much damage to those things if they didn't die the moment they ran out of HP.

Ready to see Accelerate in action?

Since it's the last turn of Arianna's Force Break and she shouldn't be getting a chance to activate her Force Boost again, I'll just refill my party's TP.

AHAHAHA YES! I don't have the Blind food in effect, so Demi-Fafnir isn't completely out of the fight, but that should make Ailing Slash deal way more damage.

When Knight uses Accelerate, he must sacrifice his current turn.

Everyone's TP pools are topped off.

Ah, now that's more like it.

The payoff for using Accelerate is that Knight is allowed to select up to 3 separate actions on the next turn.

Broken? Pretty much. Knight dealt around 1730 damage on a single turn, which is about 16% of Demi-Fafnir's HP. Ouch.

Unfortunately now Knight can't Transform for the rest of the fight, and we're not even halfway done.

But at least Chloe can pick up the slack now.

And this is Demi-Fafnir telegraphing his super move. If you somehow took too long to take out the Control Devices, it'll pretty much kill you on the next turn.

Oh and he sure picked a great time to regain his sight! :argh:

And now it's back to using Delayed Chase + Shock Sabre since Knight can't do anything better.

Since Demi-Fafnir isn't blind anymore, I opted to use Artery to help offset his damage. I suppose this fight is a bit interesting in that without a proper defensive support, you have to evaluate when to play offensively and when to play defensively.

Even if the chances of landing the Blind again are slim, I really would like to try since that will make the fight easier, and enable Chloe to hit Demi-Fafnir for big damage again.

Well, I knew the risks anyway.

Nothing I can't recover from.

I'm pretty sure Demi-Fafnir is going to summon the Control Devices again this turn, so I'm gonna have Arianna put a stop to that.

And they went down the instant they got summoned. How pathetic.

Though apparently pulling that off causes a bit of a glitch in that the flames still stick around until he uses Flame Formation again.

Seriously?

Thankfully Demi-Fafnir doesn't have too much HP left, though with things not going as planned, I'm wondering if I can even take him out.

Especially since Flavio can't land the blind again.

Knight's gonna get taken out if I don't heal him up.

This isn't looking good. If Demi-Fafnir gets off one more attack, I'm done for.

UNLESS FLAVIO LANDS A CLUTCH BLIND!

AND HERE COMES THE AILING SLASH TO TAKE HIM DOWN! :hellyeah:

Demi-Fafnir is a bit of an interesting fight in Story mode considering that you have to play a bit differently, what with having only 4 party members and not having a dedicated defensive support. Unfortunately he's a complete joke in Classic since they aren't bound by those gimmicks.

Trand... Trand!
Old man...

Bertrand's monstrous form remains limp on the floor before you...

Trand's still down...? He's not going back to normal?

The black-robed girl wears a shocked expression as she approaches the fallen monster with halting steps.

Trand... Trand...!
No...

Tears flow from the girl's eyes as she gazes upon the unmoving hulk that was once Bertrand.

Dammit... Wake up, old man!
No... This cannot be... Can it...?

As each of you stands in shock at the sight before you, you notice a figure entering nearby.

Huh...?

'Gervaise'?
It's Trand's family name. But that family died out a long time ago, so no one should know the name now. Who're you?
I am... the one you knew as the Black Guardian.
The Guardian...? You...?
In the battle just now... I bestowed all of my power upon Knight. The power that had transformed me into the Guardian is lost, and as a result it seems I've retaken my original form. Though... this body will only last me a short while longer.

The Guardian is sorrowful as she gazes at you, and then what was once Bertrand, collapsed on the floor.

With my powers gone, there is little I can do. Still...

The Guardian steps towards the limp figure and kneels to gently touch its monstrous back.

I can release the power that remains in you. Now... return to yourself...

As the Guardian softly speaks, the fallen monster begins to glow...!

Impossible...!
Is this a dream...? Is this really happening...?

As light pours off the monster's body, what remains is...

Trand!
Nngh... I...?

Bertrand lies before you, restored to his human form!

What a relief...!
Chloe... Knight... Am I dreaming here...? I... went into the Hall of Succession to take your place...
And... Is that you, Violetta?"

Bertrand's voice drops to a whisper upon seeing the Guardian, as if he cannot believe his eyes. The Guardian he called Violetta smiles a bit bashfully.

I never thought we'd meet again… But though the years have passed, you never change. You always do such reckless things for your friends... That's why I wanted to protect you. I'm sorry to bring you so much suffering all this time...
What're you saying? You're the kind one, not me. You tricked me and shut yourself away for a hundred years for my sake...
...You are as kind now as you were then. To meet you again in my true form... and to see you together with them... ...I have no more regrets.
Hey... Violetta...
...I must depart now...
Wait... Violetta, wait! I... There's something I need to say to you...

But in response to Bertrand's cry, the woman only smiles... and turns to you.

The mechanisms of the ritual here in Ginnungagap will collapse. From here on, there will be no new Guardians... You are the last to inherit our power. That is why there is something I must ask of you. Ginnungagap has met its end, and the Calamity shall awaken. Tell the Lady of High Lagaard. She... should hold the key to our last hope... And please... protect... this world...

With a bright flash, the woman disappears. The moment she disappears, you feel a subtle change in the atmosphere...

She's really gone...
She must have used the last of her strength to save Sir Bertrand...
...She could've waited. She was always... such a selfish girl... She'd say whatever she wanted, and... and never listened to a word I'd say...
Trand? Are you crying...?
...I'm not crying.

Don't lie.
Shut up...
Um, Sir Bertrand... May we inquire about the lady we just met?
She said she was the Guardian... so does that mean she was the last generation's knight?
...Violetta was the Daughter of the Mark a hundred years ago. I was her knight. But during the ritual, there was... a problem, and I had to briefly go back to our homeland. I... insisted that the ritual had to go through, but she said I should return. I presumed everything would be fine. But when I returned... there was no one left in the ritual halls. With no idea what happened with the ritual or where she'd gone... I was left in the dark.
Old man...
...I was always scared. I thought that if the Calamity ever swallowed up the world, it would be because of my screwup. And when I realized being the Fafnir Knight made me long-lived... I decided to wait for the next ritual, a hundred years on. I thought maybe then, I'd find out where she disappeared to.
Trand...
But wait... do you mean to say that the previous Lady successfully undertook the mantle of the Guardian herself?

What!? Who is this?

The... first Guardian?
That is correct. I have overseen the Fafnir Knights selected by the Ladies for generations. And with them, I protected the seal on the Calamity. In the last ritual, a Daughter of the Mark named Violetta came to Ginnungagap alone, without her Knight...
Even with severe wounds, she declined the company of her knight for this harsh fate. She assumed his responsibilities...
That girl...
Normally, this would be impossible. The Lady should have been sent back and the Fafnir Knight recalled... But she was weak, and on the verge of death. And since a knight seemed to have been with her at one time, the Door opened. Even I did not know how the ritual would be affected if the Lady died after passing the Door of Boundaries. The most likely outcome, I thought, was that the ritual would be halted and the Calamity would not be sealed. I was left with no choice but to allow this human, so much more frail than a Fafnir, to become the Black Guardian.
I can understand that Lady's feelings.
As can I. But it was still a mistake on her part. Her vitality was insufficient to power Ginnungagap's systems, which began to fail, turning the upper floors to ruins. Only the floors deep underground that acted as the seal remained... and even their state is precarious.
So... she did become the Guardian in my stead...
She did. By running from the ritual then, and disrupting it now, you are the cause of this, Bertrand. The power of the Black Guardian is lost. The Calamity can be sealed no longer. The lasting peace will be broken.
It's my fault that the Calamity's...?

Bertrand casts his gaze downward at the Guardian's words, and his shoulders begin to tremble.

This isn't Bertrand's fault.
Oh? Then tell me, Knight... Who, if not Bertrand, is to blame?
It was the Calamity that caused this!
...That's...
Knight...
I agree wholeheartedly, Sir Knight. I always found it disquieting for peace to require such sacrifices... Certainly, there are times when one must stake one's life to protect one's family and loved ones.
But the sealing ritual with the Fafnir Knight that has lasted these many years... It is beyond the pale! We once met two members of the guild Esbat. They slaughtered explorers, all to protect their sister, who became a monster.
This situation... it seems little different to me. Sacrificing one thing to protect another is a contradiction in terms.
Sir Knight's words have shown me that all of this was a mistake, from its very inception!
Daughter of the Mark... You would claim that my actions were for naught? That this nation should have fallen to the Calamity?
That is hardly…

Wasn't there another way?
It's simple to state one's ideals and speak of fanciful hopes. Yet man is powerless before the Calamity's overwhelming strength! No human can vanquish that monstrosity...

How can you be so sure?

People who've played EO1 and EOU should recognize the term.

As such... I understood full well that the power of the Calamity lurking in Yggdrasil's roots surpassed that of man.
The Yggdrasil Project?
It was a project meant to save the world, and yet... all I know is that it gave birth to the Calamity. The only means I could find to counter it was to seal it here in Ginnungagap. Him, though... My old research partner, who had powers beyond that of man... Perhaps he could have done something.

Research partner?
Yes... When the Yggdrasil Project caused the earth to become unlivable, there was a faction that escaped to the skies. I am a descendant of those people, and the Lady who founded High Lagaard. My research partner should still be there.
And... you think this guy can stand up to the Calamity?
I cannot guarantee it. But... he has always taken an interest in the potential of mankind. He has seen how the Yggdrasil Project reshaped the world. He must have sought a way to overcome mankind's limitations.

Ah yes, the monsters of the forst.

No...!
If those were his work... then is he the Ruler of Heaven? Would someone like that help us...?
I... cannot say. But if there is any chance, it would lie with him. Knight, last of the Fafnir Knights I have given rise to. Seek the help of High Lagaard's Lady and head for the pinnacle of Yggdrasil!

That... is my final wish...

Guardian...?

The woman receives no answer. The area is blanketed in utter silence.

The Guardian mentioned the transference of power. I think all her powers are gone.
Does that mean... she's dead?
Probably...

Bertrand listened to all of this with mixed feelings, but then he bows his head low.

The reason she ended up like this… It's because of a stupid thing I did. Knight, Arianna... The huge burden on you guys is something I forced on you a hundred years ago. I'm sorry.

A simple apology isn't enough.
Haha, no, it isn't. I'm serious, though. Sorry for everything I put you through.
Sir Bertrand, the burden is everyone in the Guild guild's to bear.
Let us go meet this man... this Overlord that the Guardian mentioned, and find a way forward!
If we can stop the Calamity without anyone having to sacrifice themselves, that would be the best possible result.
No sacrifices... Not Trand or Knight either.
...You got that right.
I'm really sorry, everyone. And... thanks.
But can I ask just one favor?
A favor...?
Can we... go back to town? My entire body's aching something fierce here...
Oh. Right. We beat him to a pulp.
*gasp* S-So we did...!

Tough it out, Bertrand!
Hrgh!? D-Don't shake me...!
Y-You look really bad...! If you were in this much pain, old man, why didn't you say something sooner!?
He's exhausted. And he doesn't look so good. Once I've done some first aid, we should go back to town.

As anxious as you all feel, you decide to take the weakened Bertrand back to High Lagaard.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 5, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I really like Bertrand's character. He's got a lot of depth for what seems to be the stereotypical lazy older guy who sometimes comes through in a pinch. Liam O'Brien voicing him is also great.

Demi-Fafnir is honestly a really easy fight even in Story mode, though.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
A shame he can't reclass into Fafnir now, though. Although I guess I'm not sure how you'd handle the extra abilities unlocking in that case.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

theshim posted:

Demi-Fafnir is honestly a really easy fight even in Story mode, though.

Yeah it is. Honestly they probably could have buffed him up. Murphy's Law just kicked in for me throughout the fight. :v: (Probably doesn't help that I held off on stacking Grimoires until after this fight.) I guess the dev team was a little uncomfortable with designing a fight specifically for a 4 man party.

Oh yeah, now that we can explore the 4th Stratum, which party member should Knight hang out with?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Bertrand. Let the Fafnirs talk about stuff, I'm sure it'll be interesting and Trand's the best anyways.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Bertrand, obviously.

Also my updates have been delayed further because EO5 came out in Japan and I'm playing it even though I don't know the first thing about Japanese. Fetus'll be picking up the pace on Story updates to catch up to me while I'm enamored with EO5, so enjoy.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

This is actually one of the things that Untold 2's opening spoils (well it spoils everything i guess so thats sort of a moot point anyways), with Bertrand holding his hand out to Violetta's reflecting Knight's and Arianna's hands. Thought it was a neat detail, but slightly ruined it for me when I got to this point.

Speaking of which, as the Knight, we should be responsible and spent time with our Lady: Flavio

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
And people wonder why I'm :allears: about Trand. I really love his character. Shame they hosed up on EOU's story team personality-wise (And the fact the Highlander and gunner is STORY only, which means at least the Gunner equips get wasted on a Classic team unless you can get a Gun equipment grimoire.) Anyways, we listen to Trand again, he's got a lot to say likely.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Well since no more votes seem to be coming in, guess I'll end it now.

Bertrand: 3
Flavio: 1
Chloe: 0
Arianna: 0

Well since there was no way to break the tie between Chloe and Arianna within the thread, I used a random number generator to decide who goes last. Arianna's inn scene will be the last one seen this Stratum again.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 29: A New Plan

...Oh, I almost forgot.
Welcome back, Sir Knight.

I'm glad too, Trand, but you need to rest up first. Let's hurry back to the inn.
Yeah, I guess... but the Black Guardian told us to go see Lady Gradriel first, right? It'd probably be best for us to do that quickly. Knight, Arianna, could you guys head over there?
Of course. Please rest at ease at the inn, Sir Bertrand.
Thanks. Means a lot to me.
You can leave Trand to me. I'll make sure he's okay.
Hm... Guess I'll go along with Bertrand, too. The Duke's Palace just turns me into a bundle of nerves.

Let's go, Arianna.
Yes!
See you later.

Incidentally, Hanna and Quona have something new to say since we brought Bertrand back.

So, you have something to say to him, don't you? Go on. Hurry and go see him.

Okay, time to tell Gradriel what's going on.

...Where are the others?

They are fine.
Certainly if you say so, then you must have the situation in hand. However... The other day, a violent earthquake occurred, centered around Ginnungagap. Do you know anything regarding the matter?
Yes. If we may be frank... Something terrible has happened at Ginnungagap.

Fade to black.

...Truly, I had no idea such events had come to pass.
It is the truth. In the end, we were told to request your help in meeting the Overlord.
......... ...Please, wait. This is too great of a decision for me to answer on my own. I will discuss the matter with my father and with Minister Dubois before giving you my decision. This may take some time, so please, return to town and rest yourselves awhile.

The conversation ends. Dubois has something new to say to us.

Sir Bertrand!? What's the matter? You're looking very ill.
Relax, no need to worry. I've already patched him up. We were just talking. Right, Chloe?
Mhm. We were just saying how difficult it was, exploring that place with just the four of us.
Or how rough the fight was when we had to go against the old man. Gah, my back's still aching from that...
How many apologies do you need, kid!? And besides, you guys beat the crap out of me too, if you remember!
Ah, that's a relief. It looks as though everything is back to normal.
*sigh* Fine. If this is what passes for 'normal' around here...
So? Did the Lady Gradriel tell you anything new?
Well... She told us that she wishes to discuss this with the Duke, first. Accordingly, she asked that we return tomorrow.
...Should've seen that one coming. Welp, we oughta get some rest, then. We'll head over tomorrow.
I'm sure... we'll be able to find out something. I mean, Violetta told us we will.
*giggle*... Then let us rest for now, so that we are well prepared for what tomorrow will bring.

Time passes to the next day. Hanna and Quona have new stuff to say.

Oh, I'm sorry. It's just that I can't stop smiling when I see all of you together again.

...Oh, I'm sorry... I just felt happy seeing everyone in Guild Guild together again... ...Mom seemed happy too. She said seeing everyone together makes her happy... Ehehe...

Incidentally that little spelling mistake was the result of a coding mistake, not a slip-up on whoever edited the script.

It's always best to see Guild when everyone's all together! Now, take your time! Feel free to browse!

Come back again, sometime, alright? Make sure you bring everyone. I'll have a great meal waiting for you.

Cass and Marion have nothing new to say.

What you told me yesterday... I made sure to tell my father, the Duke. It appears that the time of reckoning has finally come. Therefore, my father has given his permission to tell you of a legend that has been passed down through our family.
...Please, tell us.
When the time of the Ginnungagap ends, the shield protecting the land from the Calamity will be no more. However, the knight will be released from the chains of fate that bind them. Seek the sky castle with the Fafnir's power. The meeting of the Fafnir Knight and the Ruler of Heaven spells the Calamity's end...
The Fafnir Knight... that must mean Knight.
So... that 'sky castle' stuff's referring to what's supposed to be at the top of the Labyrinth?
I believe so. It is said that the Ruler of Heaven has a mysterious power called the Grail of Kings in its possession. It is said to enhance a person's life force, and can heal or even resurrect the dead... Perhaps it means that by using this Grail, you will be able to destroy the Calamity.
Sounds a little too convenient to me.
Indeed. I have been told that we are to rely on this legend only when we have absolutely no other recourse. Most importantly, the road to the floating castle has yet to be discovered. Nobody can be certain if one can actually encounter the Ruler of Heaven by reaching that point...
However... it is a possibility it may aid us in preventing the Calamity, is it not? And it would mean we wouldn't have to sacrifice Sir Knight, or Sir Bertrand...
...It is not a reliable method by any means, which is why I have not made it public. But, it is the only method we seem to have. I will be counting on all of you.

The conversation ends. Let's see what Dubois has to say.

Though it may be inappropriate to say so... I am in admittedly high spirits. Knowing that you will remain here in High Lagaard... I believe the day we find the castle in the heavens is quite near. Hmhmhm. I shall be counting on you, Guild.

Something up?
Are you not happy, Sir Knight? We have found an alternative path!
She's right. Neither you nor the old man have to sacrifice yourselves anymore... That's pretty good news if you ask me.
That's if we can even make it to the castle in the sky, right? We probably shouldn't be partying just yet.
But... You're with us right now, Trand, and so is Knight. If we can do this without having to sacrifice somebody's life, that's really, really good news.

To the reunion of Guild!
...Indeed! As Guild... we shall find this floating castle!
Looks like the five of us are going to be exploring the Labyrinth once again!
We'll find it together.
Yeah, you're right. With not a single person missing...
This time... I'm going to see it through to the end. This time, I'll do it!

Well it's certainly nice to see characters actually developing in the Story mode, given how nearly everyone in the first Untold game was as flat as cardboard, and the one character that developed didn't do so in an interesting way.

Anyways, let's head back to the Labyrinth. Oh I should note that in Story mode, floor jump for Ginnungagap B3F isn't unlocked until after you beat Demi-Fafnir. Classic can access it the moment they complete the floor though.

Now it's time to head to the 4th Stratum. For real this time.

Though there is no wind here, the petals gently fall, forming an exquisite vision of beauty...

Gracious...! How lovely...
We go from ice and snow into... flowers? What is going on with this Labyrinth?
It's better than the cold. I like this Stratum a lot more.
This weather DOES help. My joints ache when it's cold, you know...
But this view...! How can you speak of weather and temperature in the face of such vistas? Don't you agree, Sir Knight?

I'm happier that it's warm here.
I-Is it that important a topic of discussion? Even in the cold, would more layers of clothing not suffice...?
Nope. No matter how warmly you dress, a little chill still seeps through all the layers... It's really annoying.
Good lord, are you that sensitive to the cold?
Trand has bad circulation. He can't help it. He has to wear that metal armor.
...I guess things are tough for you too, old man.

As you chat lightheartedly with each other, you hear a voice call from an unusual direction... above you.

What the--!?

You look up towards the speaker and find what seems to be a person beyond the trees... But you are taken aback by the feathered wings this “person" sports!

Father Sun and Mother Moon. Bless the earthbound people with the gift of new life!

With this, the demihuman spreads his wings and rises into the air.

H-He flew away...! What was that!?

He was impressive.
Indeed! I greatly envy the way he can freely fly through the air...!
No, no no no! What're you two saying!? Do you have any idea what you sound like!?
Trand. Do you know what that was?
Oh yeah! You would know, wouldn't you, old man? I mean, you've been alive for a hundred years...
Hey, I may be old, but I've never seen anything like that in all my years.
Although... I think I saw something about 'Winged Ones' in the High Lagaard legend? I thought it was a figure of speech, but judging by what I've just seen, apparently not.
Legend? What kind of legend?
Uhh... I don't know it too well, but it's something to do with the castle in the heavens...
Then... if we pursue him, we may learn something about the floating castle!

Let's go after him.
Yes... He seemed to speak the language that we do, which gives me great hope that we might converse with him!

You begin exploring the forest that lies before you, on the lookout for the strange winged creature.

Oh don't mind me, just admiring the view and the fact that we're in the sky! I have to say, for all the faults the original game had, the one thing it had over all the other Etrian Odyssey games was that it easily had the best looking Strata (Well, outside of one exception, but I'll get into that later.) Petal Bridge is one of my favorite Strata in terms of aesthetics, and I'm very glad that they did it justice in the 3DS remake. It just looks great. The added detail of showing the sky below you also really helps emphasize that you've been climbing up the tree the whole time. (In the original game, you could only see the sky below you on the 19th floor.)

Oh and there's another thing I want to make a note of. See these enemies? Their conditional drop makes Amritas. How do you get said conditional drop? Oh just by killing them while they're Terrorized, simple as that.

Oh wait, the only way the Story party can inflict Fear outside of Grimoires is through Chloe's Random Disease skill, which is by far the worst skill in the game! There's a more reliable method once you get to the 5th Stratum, but until then, yeah have fun with the RNG if you're trying to go for those drops. Oh and as a kicker, they're not even guaranteed to drop 100% of the time. Anyways, now that we've reached the 4th Stratum, let's head back to town.

There must be someone in there that might know about it.
Yes, I'm sure that Lady Gradriel will aid us.

Later. Let's see what the townsfolk have to say. Well, only Cass and Marion have anything new to say in Story mode.

... Guess I'm starting to lose my touch. The first time I saw yeh lot, I thought yeh were all hopeless. Now yeh're the biggest names in my bar. Haw, maybe I'm not as good as I thought at spottin' the up-and-comers... Hm...? Wait a tick. Yeh lot ain't explorers, yeh're part of the Midgard investigation team! Haw haw! If yeh aren't explorers, then of course my keen eyes won't pick up on yeh, right? Haw haw haw! That explains it!

It seems the other guilds have heard the rumors of your return. The idea appears to be giving them a newfound resolve... ...Looks like the people of High Lagaard recognize you as a true guild, now.

Onto the Grand Duchy.

Actually, we encountered an unusual race while exploring the Labyrinth—like humans, but with wings... We came to ask if you had any knowledge of them.
Hrm... Pardon me for a moment. I will go call for Lady Gradriel.

Fade to black.

There are some records of them within ancient texts passed down through the royal family. If I recall correctly... the passage went like so... “The Ruler of the Heavens created an inhuman race, able to fly freely in the sky. These winged beings are human, yet not quite human. They safeguard the entrance to the Heavenly Keep. Only with this phrase can one gain entry. State these words: As agreed, I speak the words of the Overlord by the ancient pact. Lead our return to the heavens!" ... That is all that I recall from the documents. It would seem the text indicates that you must gain the aid of the winged ones in order to proceed.
...Aid of wings. Are they going to let us ride them?
*giggle* Who knows? If they truly can freely fly through the skies, perhaps that would be possible.

Let's try finding the winged ones.
Yeah, it looks like we'll have to have a talk with them if we want to keep moving.
I am thankful to have your assistance, even as the forest grows more and more dangerous. I will take my leave now, then... I wish the best of luck to you.
...So it seems you've gotten a clue to progress onward, hm? It would be no exaggeration to say that the fate of High Lagaard depends on your exploration of the Labyrinth. It may not be much, but I will be praying for you to find the path to the floating castle.

And here's Dubois' talk dialogue.

If they truly know the way to the heavens, then we must negotiate with them. The thought... does make me uneasy, though. Be sure to exercise caution, Knight.

Before we go back into the Labyrinth, let's take a nap.

As you sit there, you hear a knock at your door. Who could it be at this hour...?

Predictably, people wanted to see more of Bertrand.

Don't barge in like that.
Aw, come on, don't be like that. I just wanted to talk to you about something. Alright then...
Ugh, I'm getting all anxious now that it's come to it. But there's something I need to tell you. Hear an old man out... I want to tell you why I ran from the ritual a hundred years back.

I don't really want to hear it.
Aw, come on. I really need to get this out in the open.
I already told you that I'm from a noble family, right? We were well-known in Caledonia, and I lived a life of luxury... but I lost my mother when I was young. To distract myself from feeling lonely, I concentrated on my training. Then one day I got a new mother and sister.
My father was happy, so I was happy. But it was still kind of awkward talking with my new family... I spent as much time as I could away from home, training even harder to become a knight.
Then one day... My father up and died.

How?
I never found out the details, but... it was when the seven knighted families all met to select a Fafnir Knight... That's when they told me he died. After that, for some reason, it was decided that the knight escort for Princess Violetta would be from the Gervaise family.
Under normal circumstances, every family takes their turn selecting a Fafnir. I heard it was actually another family's turn then. But at that get-together, they claimed that the brave heir of the Gervaise family would be best suited to the mission.
I almost gave them a piece of my mind... But then I thought it over some, and decided to go along with it.
One of the reasons why was they promised me the Gervaise family would get a huge reward for my service. I thought that would be the only way my mother and sister would be able to live comfortably with my father dead.
Another reason was... for the princess. I... I didn't mind giving up my life if it meant protecting Violetta.

Then what happened?
I went with Violetta and helped her past a lot of obstacles. After that, we went into Ginnungagap. But then I got a message from my people.
A man who worked as one of the servants for our house came to tell me my mother had died, and my sister had fallen ill.
I was... shocked, to put it lightly. I wanted to give my mother a funeral and be with my sister, who was alone now. I told Violetta everything, and she said I should go. She promised she'd wait for me until I came back...
But... when I got home, they thought I'd abandoned my duty as the Fafnir Knight. I had to flee the country with my sister. After I made sure she was safe, I went back to High Lagaard. But when I got there, Violetta had disappeared...
...It's pathetic, really.
I couldn't finish my mission, I ruined my family name, and now all I do now is stay alive, because I can't die...
That's why I was determined to sacrifice myself in the next ritual, a hundred years on. Until all this happened.
I don't think that way anymore, though. That's all thanks to you, Knight. If we can do something about the Calamity... Maybe then I can find some worth in my life.
Heh, I guess it's not like me to be saying all this.
Welp, there's new adventures in the morning. I think I'll head back to my room and get some shuteye.

Alone again in your room, you have only the silence for company. You think about all that Bertrand told you of his past, and then try to get some rest in preparation for tomorrow.

Okay, now that we've reached a new floor, there's quests to be done. And there's a few things I'm going to show off with these that weren't shown off in Ragnar's playthrough.

First up, Law and Order. It's the last quest in the thief questline, and getting the flute changes things up a bit.

Hey, I've been waitin' fer yeh! Finally got a lead on that thieving bastard from the cave. That fraud pretended to be a foreign adventurer and acted just like one of the guys 'round here. Yeh remember? So I had someone look into it, and the scumbag's wanted in four different countries. He's no small-time crook... But listen here. That outlaw's been sighted skulkin' around on the 1st floor, and he's keepin' his head down. Don't know what he's up to, but now's yer chance. He should still be on the 1st floor... It's payback time. And... here. Yer flute. If that bastard's controllin' monsters again, give this a toot. That should calm the beasties.

The Palace said that it might not calm down all the monsters, but it oughta at least make life easier if things go south. Alright, g'luck!

However, you will not be fooled again. You realize immediately that this is no ordinary guard! You ready your weapons, and the man disguised as a guard darts back to the bushes!

The man swiftly brings some kind of pipe to his mouth... It's the flute that controls the monsters! The sharp trilling echoes through the Labyrinth, and it is shortly answered by the roars of monsters and quaking ground!

I'm a busy man, so make your decision. My friends and I have some business over in Lagaard, see...? Heh heh hyeh...!

You can scarcely believe your ears... The man intends to set the monsters on the city itself! Though your stomach churns at the man's plot, you remember Cass's words. Carefully, you draw out the sky-blue flute... You blow into the flute, and a gentle tone rings through the surroundings. One by one, the monsters' glares soften. Their snarling fades, and they turn docile, quietly filing out of the clearing.

drat it... worthless trash! Whatever. The ones that left were too weak, anyway. You want more? I'll give you more!

You adjust your grips on your weapons, and head for the outlaw near the exit upstairs - fighting the monsters on the way.

Getting the Tranquil Flute just gets rid of those two ants you saw, letting you go straight to the stairs.

Tch, persistent bastards... Alright. Fine. You really have a deathwish...? Then I'll grant it!

The thief whips the flute to his mouth, and plays a keening, discordant melody that pains your ears to hear...

No worries, we have our own flute.

It seems the monster may see you as mere food... it stares with bloodshot eyes, and lets out a gurgle of anticipation. You hastily try your flute, but the feral creature doesn't even register it. It seems you have no choice but to fight... To protect the peace of Lagaard, you must destroy this monster!

And that's all the differences between getting the flute and not getting the flute. The party doesn't even attempt to use the flute against the mantis, since it didn't work on the scorpion.

Next up, a Clever Ruse. There's actually new dialogue for this on in Story mode.

Oh hey a treasure chest! Don't mind if I do!

BLARGH!

So it disguises itself as a treasure box, then goes for anyone who tries to open it. Crafty little bastard.
It would certainly have the advantage in a contest of hide-and-seek!
I'm good at that. Hide-and-seek.

I prefer tag.
Ah, I see... Which game do you prefer, Sir Flavio?
Huh? Oh, I always kinda liked shooting galleries...
I-I mean, now's not the time for that stuff! The thing's coming for us, so get ready!
Tch, what a pain... guess I don't really have a choice.

After the battle...

You sheathe your weapons. The monster disguised as a treasure chest has been slain.

Should we be more like monsters?
Uh... what do you mean? How exactly would we do that?
Well, a monster's weapons are its fangs and claws... Perhaps we could somehow grow our nails out, and sharpen our teeth!
No, we'd be more like weird-looking humans. Though I guess we might use them if we, uh, ran on all fours like monsters...?
Anyway. That thing attacked the explorer?
Don't know if the one we fought was thesame monster, but yeah, that's probably it.
Then, we can report that we've discovered the truth of the matter!

As Arianna said, the mystery behind the requester's encounter has been resolved! Having uncovered the truth, you may now choose to go back to the bar to report, or continue to explore.

I should note that the request was merely to discover what attacked the requester. Defeating the FOE is completely optional, and escaping from the battle will count as completing the task. There's no extra reward for killing it.

Next: An outing in the forest. If you collect from an item point with Quona in tow, this happens.

Do you want to try?
Huh? Really!?

At your suggestion, her face lights up. She eagerly takes the gathering tools from your hands. The girl readies the hatchet, and with a careful swing, she manages to chop off one branch. This is a Ice Branch that you can chop in the frozen forest!

I-I did it...! I got one!

That's a pretty branch.
Yeah, it's really pretty. And it's all clear! I can see through it! I want to show it to mommy when I get back...

She stares at it happily, delighted with her souvenir. The sight of her so happy puts a smile on your face as well. You return to your exploration.

You can only do this once, but if you gather from an item point, Quona will get the rare item from that gathering point for you. You can't do this with any of the other item points once you've seen Quona get one. But that's all I wanted to show off for now. Let's get back to the Labyrinth.

Nothing grows in the cavity, and it is filled with sand. Scattered on top are a few withered plants and flowers.

Did there used to be water here once?
Maybe. Or maybe not.
Doesn't matter much to us, does it? I don't see anything useful here, so let's just move on.

You see no purpose in remaining here either, and so return to your journey.

You look and see for yourself... Near the roots of a tree, the soil has been unnaturally tampered with. It almost looks as though something may have been buried there.

Oh! I have heard that one may find something buried beneath trees with beautiful flowers!
Though... I cannot recall what that may be.
Huh... So, should we try digging it up?

Unlike in EO2 where there was no benefit to doing this, you actually want to dig up this place.

You crouch at the tree's roots, intent on digging up whatever valuables may sleep beneath the soil...

Wait a sec. Before you get started... we've got trouble.

You turn around to see what Bertrand is cautioning you against--it is a mighty swarm of bees pouring into the area!

Wh-When did they get here!? Wait... are we surrounded!?
Not a good time to dig.

Countless bees slowly close in on you... You see no chance of escape now. Draw your weapons and fight them!

A fight with some Waspiors ensue. After the battle...

Uh, sorry to say... I don't think it's close to being over yet.

Flavio is correct, for an even greater swarm of bees than what you just defeated is waiting to strike at you!

No...!

Please, no more!
Complain all you want, but it won't do any good! They're already here!
Give it up, Knight.

You rue your decision now to dig at the tree's roots... The result is that you must take your weapons in hand and fight to survive this predicament!

Yet another swarm of Waspiors attack our party. After that fight...

You finally defeat the swarm of bees... Only to be met with another, even larger wave after them! Fortunately, these do seem to be the last of the marauding bees...

Looks like they're out of reinforcements. We just gotta get through these and we'll be home free!

Then we can get back to digging!
Wha--You still hadn't given up on that!?
Hey, we've gone to this much trouble for it. It'd be a waste to abandon it now!
E-Er, pardon my interruption, but--
Incoming enemies!

You feel a surge of momentum with the end in sight, as you raise your weapons against the final wave of monsters!

One Link Order II later...

I don't detect any more of them, no. Hm... that was quite an ordeal merely to dig up some earth.

With the long, arduous battle behind you, you take a deep sigh, relishing your freedom from the bees.

Well, now that there's nothing in the way anymore, let's dig!

You keep one eye on your surroundings as you begin digging near the roots of the tree. After a while, your hands brush against something hard, and you cautiously wipe away the dirt around it. What you unearth there is a number of small, white shards, and an old, leather-bound book. The white shards are too old to be of any use to you, but the book is still legible...

What could this book be...?
Probably a cookbook. It says Apicius on it.

In the original, you got absolutely nothing because your party gave up on digging to flee from a swarm of scorpions.

Ooh, we should take it to Regina!
But man... the guy went to some lengths to keep this a secret. I'm surprised anyone ever found this.
Why would he bury it here, of all places?

Maybe we'll find out if we dig more.
You're right. We might find something more...
Maybe we'll find what the shards belonged to. They seemed to be part of something.

As you discuss theories and whether or not to dig deeper, Bertrand, who had been gazing at the white shards, speaks up.

I think we should lay off. Just leave it be.
Leave it be?
Uhh, well, you know. If we stay here too long, more bees might show up.
W-We'd best avoid that, I think...
Yeah, let's go ahead and leave. It's... not good to make a big commotion around places like this.

Bertrand coaxes you to fill the hole in the earth before returning to your exploration.

So the thing Arianna was talking about with stuff being buried under cherry trees? (And by extension, the story the Classic party vaguely remembers about that) That was a reference to a Japanese story “Under the Cherry Trees” where dead bodies were stated to be buried under cherry trees. Yeah, those white shards? In case you somehow haven't understood the implications at this point, we were digging up Apicius' grave (The implications about being grave robbers are still in Classic, but the bone shards aren't mentioned at all.) In fact in the original game, the scorpions that swarm you here are much stronger than the bees, and were meant as a punishment for trying to be grave robbers, and unprepared parties would easily get a game over. Of course that was a bit of a problem for people who weren't even aware of that story in the first place. :v:

It appears to be the mysterious moving plant monster.

This thing again? Shouldn't we attack it before it jumps on us this time?

No, let's just wait.
Yes. It looks so peaceful as it is now.
Then let's get going. If we're going to leave it alone, then staying is just asking for trouble.

At your first step after Bertrand's words, the plant monster begins immediately to shake uncontrollably!

Wh--What!? No way!

You prepare to stand your ground against the monster, moments before it flies at you!

Same enemy as the other 2 plants.

Hmhmhm... Dame Chloe, you look quite happy.

You can follow the elated Chloe's suggestion and return to town, or you can continue your exploration.

And that's all for now. Next time, we'll explore more of the 4th Stratum.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder how he got to the Fifth and Sixth Stratums, but somehow came back and died in the Fourth.

Never underestimate the Labyrinth, I guess.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Maybe he just wanted to be buried in the 4th stratum and died for unrelated reasons.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

The RNG got him.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Okay, no, seriously, what did you guys just do? Where are we?
have you never used a time fuckery machine before
We've talked about it plenty of times
I'm supposed to take the word of a bunch of drunken idiots at face value?
well, I mean, you DID agree to try it out
Only as part of a bet with Stardust. C'mon, enough's enough, can we go back to Lagaard already?
time fuckery machine's out of energy; says it needs us to kill a giant evil dragon or something of equivalent finality
WHY ME?!

(I got EO5's DLC working after some mishaps with the non-functional FM synth option)

In non-dumb thing news, I have recorded the Blizzard King fight, and should have it up by Tuesday evening. How much do you guys like 4 turn victories against postgame bosses? :getin:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

In non-dumb thing news, I have recorded the Blizzard King fight, and should have it up by Tuesday evening. How much do you guys like 4 turn victories against postgame bosses? :getin:

This specific fucker deserves worse.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

alcharagia posted:

This specific fucker deserves worse.

You may or may not get your wish. :ssh:

Also just a heads up, the statement about leg binds stopping Mirror Shield was based off of a faulty assumption. Leg binds do not actually lower priority, so in the end there's no real answer to Mirror Shield! Just hope the RNG doesn't screw you over. What fantastic boss design.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 8, 2016

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Kill the dragons and cook their flesh.
:black101::fsn:
:fsn::black101:
:black101::fsn:
:fsn::black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It'd almost be better if Trand was a legit coward, but then again I suppose he didn't really argue too hard when it turned out he had to put off Fafniring for a couple days.

• Locked thread