Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Riker bringing Data, Pulaski, Geordi, and Worf over for dinner scrambled eggs and whiskey and Worf going crazy for it has to be the greatest cold opening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Picard's character in First Contact is fine. The source of his worst experience comes right back and starts kicking his rear end. You never really get over that kind of trauma and it's human to react the way he did.

Nobody ever complains about how Kira should have been over her hatred for Cardassians after Duet. They keep going back to the well of her trauma and hatred through the whole series.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

PenguinKnight posted:

Riker bringing Data, Pulaski, Geordi, and Worf over for dinner scrambled eggs and whiskey and Worf going crazy for it has to be the greatest cold opening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezsy3OSy1fU&t=2m1s

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

cenotaph posted:

Picard's character in First Contact is fine. The source of his worst experience comes right back and starts kicking his rear end. You never really get over that kind of trauma and it's human to react the way he did.

Nobody ever complains about how Kira should have been over her hatred for Cardassians after Duet. They keep going back to the well of her trauma and hatred through the whole series.

First Contact catches a lot of poo poo for things that Insurrection and Nemesis did, namely to try to continue that formula over and over again and each time the story was too weak to carry it. In the last film, Picard had lost his previous long-time command and gotten his rear end kicked so hard in a fight he had to go back and get Shatner to help him. Now here come the Borg again ready to rape and pillage and so yeah, I can easily buy action hero Picard in that context

But by the time you get to Nemesis they've got him freezing up at the end after resolving to beam over on his own(?!) just because the story says Data has to sacrifice himself because that's what made Wrath of Khan good, right guys? Just that one bit?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

drat. It took my just about two months to watch all of DS9.

Jake Sisko remains the worst.

Really? His closest equivalent is Wesley Crusher. Jake wins that competition by a mile.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Baloogan posted:

ZOOT zoot zoot zoot!

I really liked that since the future would be a different culture and humor crosses cultural lines so badly. Everybody's favorite comedians not being funny whatsoever was great.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Grand Fromage posted:

I really liked that since the future would be a different culture and humor crosses cultural lines so badly. Everybody's favorite comedians not being funny whatsoever was great.

Oh you mean how the Federation thought Joe Piscopo was the greatest comedian of all time?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I now have a mental image of the TNG cast watching various other stand ups and just :confused: - ing out ever them.

"Captain, I fail to understand. Is being covered with bees inherently funny?"

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Tighclops posted:

First Contact catches a lot of poo poo for things that Insurrection and Nemesis did, namely to try to continue that formula over and over again and each time the story was too weak to carry it. In the last film, Picard had lost his previous long-time command and gotten his rear end kicked so hard in a fight he had to go back and get Shatner to help him. Now here come the Borg again ready to rape and pillage and so yeah, I can easily buy action hero Picard in that context

But by the time you get to Nemesis they've got him freezing up at the end after resolving to beam over on his own(?!) just because the story says Data has to sacrifice himself because that's what made Wrath of Khan good, right guys? Just that one bit?

Yeah, I can see how the other movies would color perceptions. In isolation I have no problem with it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I've been avoiding this thread because I didn't want Beyond spoilers until I got home from Japan and could see it. I want to say that without hyperbole its ties with Voyage home as my third favorite Trek film. The balance between action and everything else could have been tipped a bit better toward everything else, and having three climaxes in a row was a bit much and I felt a little burnt out by the time Kirk was fighting in Crazy Grav World, but there was never a moment in this movie where I wasn't engaged and happy. The character development and interactions were brilliant, the themes of the story shone, the mystery had me intrigued, continuity was used flawlessly, the dialogue was perfect, the world building was expert, it was simply put hands down A-Grade Star Trek from top to bottom.

And if you didn't like the final space battle and how the crew won it, I will LITERALLY fight you.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Baka-nin posted:

Oh you mean how the Federation thought Joe Piscopo was the greatest comedian of all time?

That and the root beer analogy really explains a lot about future culture...

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Sanguinia posted:

And if you didn't like the final space battle and how the crew won it, I will LITERALLY fight you.
I liked the beats and shouting.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

This just led me down a rabbit hole that ended up killing a good part of my Monday morning at work. Many thanks for the laughs.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Baka-nin posted:

I wonder how much culture was lost in World War 3. Maybe the nukes took out everything except a few VHS copies of Wise Guys and whatever is in the NX-01's movie night collection.

Or, like Rebo and Zooty, Piscopo is weirdly popular with other Federation races while humans are still like "oh, that loving guy."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You're from Earth? The planet of Joe Piscopo? I've always wanted to go there.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Duckbag posted:

While we're at it, can we dispense with the notion that Threshold is the Worst Episode Ever. Sure the last ten minutes are pretty awful what with the Doctor's technobabble filibuster and the weird salamander sex, but the actors are actually trying, the script has a lot of nice little touches (like learning why these tests are so important to Paris), and the effects were genuinely Emmy worthy. Is it a good episode? gently caress no, it's dumb as hell, but it was competently produced, reasonably entertaining, and only moderately offensive, so I don't get what the big deal is. Is the science bad? Yeah, it's terrible, but there are dozens of episodes from every era of Trek that get these things (especially biology) just as wrong. Is the plot a mess? Of course, but this is Voyager we're talking about. Is it uncomfortable and rape-y? Yes, but somehow there are at least a dozen Star Trek episodes that are way worse on that front.

All I can say is at least it's not a complete rehash of another script, at least it's not a racist piece of poo poo, at least it isn't a misdirected mess, at least the effects don't look awful, at least the actors were competent, at least the script was trying something new, at least it's interesting, which is more than you can say for many, many other episodes.
The Thaw is a significantly worse episode than Threshold. Threshold is at least gripping in its stupidity. The Thaw is just brain numbing.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
badopinionzone.jpg

The Thaw is a straight-up TOS homage and it rules.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

armoredgorilla posted:

badopinionzone.jpg

The Thaw is a straight-up TOS homage and it rules.
I have bad opinions about TOS. I probably shouldn't post in this thread.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Thaw is dumb and its plot is paper thin, but it's still weird enough to be memorable. It's the kind of cracked out nonsense I could imagine TOS' later seasons including. The ending is also a 10/10 scene regardless of how tongue-in-cheek you take it to be. The real poo poo episodes in Voyager aren't things like Thaw and Threshold because ultimately everyone can sit down and talk about how bizarrely lovely they were. The real poo poo episodes are the dozens and dozens of hours that just slide by with nothing memorable whatsoever happening and in the end you, and the entire cast and crew of the show, just make like these whole days of mediocrity never happened at all.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

skasion posted:

The Thaw is dumb and its plot is paper thin, but it's still weird enough to be memorable. It's the kind of cracked out nonsense I could imagine TOS' later seasons including. The ending is also a 10/10 scene regardless of how tongue-in-cheek you take it to be. The real poo poo episodes in Voyager aren't things like Thaw and Threshold because ultimately everyone can sit down and talk about how bizarrely lovely they were. The real poo poo episodes are the dozens and dozens of hours that just slide by with nothing memorable whatsoever happening and in the end you, and the entire cast and crew of the show, just make like these whole days of mediocrity never happened at all.
My wife and I just finished watching Season 2 of Voyager (immediately after just devouring DS9), and I'd be hard pressed to remember more than half the episodes from both seasons, and 2/3rds of those are because they are just bad.

It's funny because my earliest Trek memories are watching TNG with my dad, so I have a lot of very formative memories surrounding them. On the other hand, her earliest trek memories are watching Voyager with her siblings.

Rewatching all of these series straight-through as adults has really left an impact on me. Particularly Seasons 1 and 2 of TNG aren't as bad as I remember them, while S7 is significantly worse. On the other hand, she has to bear witness with her mature eyes as the thing which she once most closely associated with Star Trek is torn down by own badness.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Strange Matter posted:

The Thaw is a significantly worse episode than Threshold. Threshold is at least gripping in its stupidity. The Thaw is just brain numbing.

What's it like to be so shockingly, painfully wrong? The Thaw is a great, unique episode. You can feel the sense of dread from the second they find the device. Absolutely nothing about t is cliche. It has great guest acting. It's legitimately spooky right up until the last shot of the episode.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Thaw is bizarre but really good. And even if it were bad I'd rather something weird but trying than the majority of boring poo poo Voyager episodes.

That ending's one of my favorite Janeway moments.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nessus posted:

Is Babylon 5 the one that had Penn and Teller in some episode, or was that some other fanatic franchise?

Yeah, in the fifth season.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Here's why The Thaw is good.

Usually, times when the crew is held in peril have zero suspense since we know they will make it out ok.

With this episode, even though we know everyone will make it out alive, there's this sense of dread that the characters are going to undergo some mental torture. Now, Voyager being Voyager we know it won't stick, but it's nice seeing them actually being put in some sort of danger.

Plus, I'm always a sucker for an all powerful entity being out maneuvered. The scenes when the Doctor comes in are great since the clown can't control or threaten him.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Thaw is solidly in the top 33% Dr. Who episodes.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
The Thaw scared me as a child, I'd call that a successful episode. Besides 11:59 or Fair Haven set the bar far, far lower than either the Thaw or Threshold could ever manage.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I despise Voyager so much that I've never seen more than like two seasons worth of episodes and I think it's in every way worse than Enterprise, but even I'm willing to admit that The Thaw is pretty decent Star Trek. I really like Michael McKean, though.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Baloogan posted:

make a B5 thread!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785889

There, I did it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fair Haven/the other one with the dumb holographic Irish town are probably my stealth pick for worst episodes because they are incredibly boring.

As bad as Threshold is, you can't say it's not an interesting kind of bad.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

FlamingLiberal posted:

Fair Haven/the other one with the dumb holographic Irish town are probably my stealth pick for worst episodes because they are incredibly boring.

I have a certain appreciation for Fair Haven because I think it had some interesting ideas at its core and it could have played them out ten times worse than they actually did. But Spirit Folk is god awful, holy poo poo.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I can almost appreciate Threshold in a Mystery Science Theater kind of way, which is more than I can say for a lot of Voyager episodes. poo poo like Tattoo, Spirit Folk, Alice, and probably a few others I'm forgetting, are as bad as anything else this franchise has produced. However, having recently been reminded of Retrospect, that probably easily gets my pick for worst.

The Thaw can be a rough watch but it's nowhere near the bottom of the barrel. At least it has that great closing scene going for it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just finished season 3 of TNG as part of my Blu-ray marathon and gently caress me, that was some good TV (best of both worlds pt1).

Something that's irking me about the set though is that that special features seem to disjointed. I don't want to jump back and forth between disks, but when you stick on the extras they'l often be talking about the episodes later in the season. I've seen them all, but I've not seen them since they aired so it's nice to not really know what's coming up.

I do really like how season 3 pretty much solidifies Pickard as the righteous hammer of authority though. You just don't gently caress with him, even when he's on holiday.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Have you been watching the classic episode trailers? They are amazing.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I haven't watched TNG since the 90s, and my wife has never seen it at all. We have been getting into it the last few days, watching in rough order based on some website's recommendations.

Is there some generally agreed-upon list of what the best episodes are for each season? The one I'm using seems kinda short.

https://medium.com/maxistentialism-blog/star-trek-the-next-generation-in-40-hours-c4a6762cbd3#.r2q8nehrv

It was just some random poo poo I googled.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Watch them all.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just find it funny that they decided to set it in the mid 19th Century. I mean, it's not like anything important was happening in Ireland at that time, like potato famine.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Evek posted:

Watch them all.

If I had started with the pilot that would have been the end of the experiment right there

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
If you absolutely 1000% must abridge it.

Season 1
Encounter at Farpoint
Hide and Q
Datalore
Coming of Age
Heart of Glory
The Arsenal of Freedom
Skin of Evil
Conspiracy
The Neutral Zone

Season 2
Where Silence Has Lease
Elementary My Dear Data
Loud as a Whisper
A Matter of Honor
The Measure of a Man
Contagion
Pen Pals (if only for the hosed up discussion of The Prime Directive)
Q Who
The Emissary
Peak Performance

Season 3
Start watching everything you butthole. EXPERIENCE BIJ.

Don't abridge it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You're missing Where No One Has Gone Before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Kin posted:

I just finished season 3 of TNG as part of my Blu-ray marathon and gently caress me, that was some good TV (best of both worlds pt1).

Something that's irking me about the set though is that that special features seem to disjointed. I don't want to jump back and forth between disks, but when you stick on the extras they'l often be talking about the episodes later in the season. I've seen them all, but I've not seen them since they aired so it's nice to not really know what's coming up.

I do really like how season 3 pretty much solidifies Pickard as the righteous hammer of authority though. You just don't gently caress with him, even when he's on holiday.

You certainly don't misspell his name.