Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

Edge of Teddy Bears

So our hero is nice to sick children. That was definitely worth spending another week to establish.

I'm starting to suspect that Jam Esallen lays out his plots like he's directing a movie or a TV show, not writing a comic strip. He doesn't seem to realize that something that might take only a few minutes to do in a movie can take weeks or months of comic strips to play out.

Wow, stealing bits from the Dreamweaver himself? What a jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm starting to suspect he's an alien from a culture with no concept of storytelling, like the guys in Galaxy Quest.

What's going on with the art? I'm not gonna say it's better, but it sure is different. Like, the kid and the nurse are cartoony, but have features broadly in line with a real human face rather than a doughy approximation, and also everything was colored in with four colored pencils, all slightly differently brown.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm starting to suspect he's an alien from a culture with no concept of storytelling, like the guys in Galaxy Quest.

What's going on with the art? I'm not gonna say it's better, but it sure is different. Like, the kid and the nurse are cartoony, but have features broadly in line with a real human face rather than a doughy approximation, and also everything was colored in with four colored pencils, all slightly differently brown.

Maybe he's adjusting to being able to use colors other than black and acid green again.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Why isn't there an RPG with a dog main protagonist titled 'Fetch Quest' yet?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Everybody thinks the pirates' favorite letter is "R," but it's really the "C" that they love.

F Minus

She won that bet on the strength of the man-bun alone.

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

"Look, Rex, neither of us had any idea about the dangerous world of museum gift shop book production."

Secret Agent X-9

That's like over eight grand in today's money. I don't know how much money and effort a big, multi-state criminal enterprise was willing to put up back then for a low-level car thief but I assume it's wasn't that much.

Apartment 3-G

Look at all the effort Kotzky used to put into backgrounds. It must have taken hours. I mean look at like MW or RMMD compared to this. Those aren't even bad now, but they are far from this.

Selachian posted:

Edge of Teddy Bears

So our hero is nice to sick children. That was definitely worth spending another week to establish.

I'm starting to suspect that Jam Esallen lays out his plots like he's directing a movie or a TV show, not writing a comic strip. He doesn't seem to realize that something that might take only a few minutes to do in a movie can take weeks or months of comic strips to play out. Why is he bothering to include the whole conversation with the sick kid who's got absolutely no relevance to the plot? You could do it in one panel: "Here you go, Bobby!" "Wow, thanks, Doc!"
I thought this was actually meant to be a comic book. He just somehow got gocomics to publish it online once a week so that's the schedule he's kind of stuck with. It's weird because Mark Trail isn't even on gocomics so I have no idea why they are doing this. I assume he's paying them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Johnny Walker posted:

Everybody thinks the pirates' favorite letter is "R," but it's really the "C" that they love.
Catwoman!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Can't find this clip in english, but it's the first thing I thought of when I read this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpgMh8ywZtE

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"Oh doc... the agony! These terrible comics are killing me! I need something for the pain!"

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (June 7-8, 1929)

Peanuts (August 11, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (September 2-3, 1929)

(e: because 1-2 is not 2-3)

Thimble Theater (February 25, 1930)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 9, 2016

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (February 25, 1930)

Popeye was 40 in 1930, so that makes him 126 today.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

csammis posted:

With Hil at summer camp I think the point being made was that she was masking the depth of the problem :smith:

edit: Okay, so what the hell is happening in Sally Forth? on Ces's blog

quote:

Francesco; You are an incredibly good looking man. You are talented, capricious in the good way, authentic, and downright hilarious. I wish you nothing but the best of success in all your endeavors.

You gently caress with Sally and Ted, however, and you’ll be sleeping with the fishes, got it, cartoon boy?*

*Note: In this context, “sleeping with the fishes” means falling asleep at approximately the same time your goldfish pets doze off. Like them, however, you will sleep restlessly, constantly worried one of the cats will attack and eat you. Your dreams, like theirs, will be filled with insane jealousy that the drat cats have a bestselling series and all they get is colored flakes.

Tread carefully, my friend. Very very carefully.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
I look forward to Judge Parker's foray into cannibalism.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Hey look it's time for me to go full GoComics again!! Apologies in advance, kids!!

"Sally Forth," pre-Marciuliano, was a ridiculously bland and boring comic strip. The only thing at all notable about it was that Sally smirked at everything, even though no one ever did or said anything clever or amusing. Francesco Marciuliano made the characters interesting. He wrote actual jokes, most of them reasonably smirkworthy. And if some of the characters became unrealistically zany as a result, that was okay. It's a comic strip.

The thing is, those characters have been unrealistic for so long now that these recent plotlines dealing "realistically" with Ted and Hil's exaggerated personalities have become, paradoxically, unrealistic. If their flaws are "real," and not just quirks to serve as nucleation sites for joke formation, then there is no reason that those flaws should only now have consequences.

Calaveron posted:

Hahah dang, Sally Forth, that's something you find out in the first couple of months of relationship, not well over a decade into a marriage.

Change it to "Haha dang, Marciuliano, ..." and that's pretty much where I'm at.

These recent plots aren't bad, they just feel abrupt and artificial, because they're a very sharp change in a well-established tone. We're going from a comic strip to "this ain't no comic strip!! Your beloved jokeman is a broken human being, how do you like that, jerks??"

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
I Wish I Were Gary Larson, or, Foolish Mortals

Curse of the Undead! or, Scary Gary

Moving. Spiritually enriching. Sublime. “High” art, or, Gasoline Alley

Phoebe and her Unicorn, or, Heavenly Nostrils

Descent into Madness, or, Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Uncanny X-Men

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

These recent plots aren't bad, they just feel abrupt and artificial, because they're a very sharp change in a well-established tone. We're going from a comic strip to "this ain't no comic strip!! Your beloved jokeman is a broken human being, how do you like that, jerks??"
Yeah, it feels like the strip's teetering close to a webcomic-esque descent into the dramatic for almost no reason - I know the justification is "well, but the characters would..." but it's like no, they wouldn't, because 1. we've established that they're all very flippant about this stuff and 2. as much as (some) authors like to pretend otherwise these characters really don't exist outside of their whims and it isn't exactly rocket science to figure out that a light-hearted strip shouldn't veer into hard drama nor is it a Herculean task to avoid it.

I guess I'm just sort of rephrasing your argument to say I agree with it, but man I hope Marciuliano's dedicated to that light tone philosophy he mentioned or he's in real danger of killing a good thing with bathos.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

SomeMathGuy posted:

Yeah, it feels like the strip's teetering close to a webcomic-esque descent into the dramatic for almost no reason - I know the justification is "well, but the characters would..." but it's like no, they wouldn't, because 1. we've established that they're all very flippant about this stuff and 2. as much as (some) authors like to pretend otherwise these characters really don't exist outside of their whims and it isn't exactly rocket science to figure out that a light-hearted strip shouldn't veer into hard drama nor is it a Herculean task to avoid it.

I guess I'm just sort of rephrasing your argument to say I agree with it, but man I hope Marciuliano's dedicated to that light tone philosophy he mentioned or he's in real danger of killing a good thing with bathos.

You might even say that writing a comic strip is often harder on the writer then the readers.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
It's like you go to see a vaudeville duo and in the middle of the act the straight man has a meltdown about how he never gets to make any jokes.

e: this is surely a hip & happening metaphor that all the kids who read the comics page will get! 23 skidoo

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Ripley's catch-up, week two.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

TofuDiva posted:

This. I think Everett is doubly mad because the guy has ordered hot chocolate. Cocoa and chocolate were among those items that folks were supposed to voluntarily forgo because it was such a morale-booster for the troops to receive them. Plus hot cocoa required both sugar and canned milk to make it. So he thinks the guy is being self-indulgent as well as greedy and putting himself before the troops.

The mindset was kind of like "Out of the goodness of your heart, even if you can find it, deny yourselves the tinned and dried stuff we can send to our boys on the line. Eat fresh fruits and veggies instead, we can't transport those to the troops because they'd spoil."

Yeah I had ancient WWI relatives who told me stuff like this (and who would not countenance wasting ANY morsel of food or drink).

No, it's his "cocoa" as in "cocoanut", as in head. Why coconut is no longer spelled cocoanut, I can't tell you, but it used to be.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Selachian posted:

Edge of Teddy Bears

Geez, that is inexcusably bad art for ITYOOL 2016, it looks like he traced everything from a bad 1930's comic book. The style is from that period, check the kid's face and the nurse's face/hair/uniform. Never seen a uniform like that in a modern hospital.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 8, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Batman (1966) was fun.

Commissioner Gordon: It could be any one of them... But which one? Which ones?
Batman: Pretty *fishy* what happened to me on that ladder...
Commissioner Gordon: You mean where there's a fish there could be a Penguin?
Robin: But wait! It happened at sea... Sea. C for Catwoman!
Batman: Yet, an exploding shark *was* pulling my leg...
Commissioner Gordon: The Joker!
Chief O'Hara: All adds up to a sinister riddle... Riddle-R. Riddler!
Commissioner Gordon: A thought strikes me... So dreadful I scarcely dare give it utterance...
Batman: The four of them... Their forces combined...
Robin: Holy nightmare!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

RandomPauI posted:

Batman (1966) was fun.

Commissioner Gordon: It could be any one of them... But which one? Which ones?
Batman: Pretty *fishy* what happened to me on that ladder...
Commissioner Gordon: You mean where there's a fish there could be a Penguin?
Robin: But wait! It happened at sea... Sea. C for Catwoman!
Batman: Yet, an exploding shark *was* pulling my leg...
Commissioner Gordon: The Joker!
Chief O'Hara: All adds up to a sinister riddle... Riddle-R. Riddler!
Commissioner Gordon: A thought strikes me... So dreadful I scarcely dare give it utterance...
Batman: The four of them... Their forces combined...
Robin: Holy nightmare!

This actually makes sense, from a Batman 66 perspective. Those villains do theme stuff all the time, and leaving all those clues is a sure sign the Riddler cooked it up to telegraph they were working together.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

WickedHate posted:

This actually makes sense, from a Batman 66 perspective. Those villains do theme stuff all the time, and leaving all those clues is a sure sign the Riddler cooked it up to telegraph they were working together.

Hell, by Adam West-era Riddler standards it's positively straightforward.

"What weighs six ounces, sits in a tree, and is very dangerous?"
"A sparrow with a machine gun!"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Meanwhile he wasn't able to figure out Miss Kitka was Catwoman.

And also meanwhile they immediately recognized Penguin when in disguise.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I guess my reading comprehension skills could use work...

You can still have pen pals, Plugger chicken lady. And they'll send you hand written notes through the snail mail and everything. You just have to find them on the Interne-- Oh. Never mind.

Wanamingo posted:

Deep Dark Fears

I, too, worry that I'll die a peaceful death

I worry about my family finding my naked corpse. I prioritize my worries well.

csammis posted:

With Hil at summer camp I think the point being made was that she was masking the depth of the problem :smith:

edit: Okay, so what the hell is happening in Sally Forth? on Ces's blog

Ces posted:

When I started writing the summer’s storylines, this is not at all what I envisioned would happen. I had planned Sally and Ted to go on wacky adventures sans Hil. I had expected Hil to have a triumphant summer even sans Faye and Nora. And I had expected Faye and Nora to cement their friendship sans Hil.

I read this and all I could think was, "What? Who the hell is Nora? All this time I thought her name was Nona! How am I just figuring this out???" But then I checked Wikipedia and it calls her Nona, too. It's Nona, Ces! That character you created? Her name is loving Nona!

(I still like Sally Forth, though. It's one of the high points of the comics thread for me, so I can put up with the occasional angst. Just as long as it doesn't go full Sally Winkerbean.)

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

It's like you go to see a vaudeville duo and in the middle of the act the straight man has a meltdown about how he never gets to make any jokes.

e: this is surely a hip & happening metaphor that all the kids who read the comics page will get! 23 skidoo

That is an act I would like to see.

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

NONA!!!

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

So I have this old book I got as a gift years ago and forgot about until recently, Cartoon Cavalcade by Thomas Craven. It's from 1943 and covers cartoons from 1883 to when it was printed. I thought I'd scan a few pages of cartoons and see if you all are interested in seeing more. Some of them are political so I'm not sure they belong here?

These are the first 3 cartoons from the section for 1883-1916. All of these are by AB Frost.

(Click for big.)

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 9, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

:allears:

Newspaper Spidey never lets me down.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

My main gripe with Sally Forth is mostly just the zany fourth-wall mind reading stuff.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

kidcoelacanth posted:

My main gripe with Sally Forth is mostly just the zany fourth-wall mind reading stuff.

Yeah, it was a pretty amazing joke the first time it appeared but all of a sudden it's a legit thing that happens constantly and other people are also getting in on it and it just sucks so bad

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Reply All

That's weird.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

The thing is, those characters have been unrealistic for so long now that these recent plotlines dealing "realistically" with Ted and Hil's exaggerated personalities have become, paradoxically, unrealistic. If their flaws are "real," and not just quirks to serve as nucleation sites for joke formation, then there is no reason that those flaws should only now have consequences.

This is hardly the first time he's done a dramatic arc, and he's generally pretty good at mixing the serious and humorous. Case in point:

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

Calaveron posted:

Yeah, it was a pretty amazing joke the first time it appeared but all of a sudden it's a legit thing that happens constantly and other people are also getting in on it and it just sucks so bad
It does maybe happen a little bit too often, but it still amuses me whenever a nwe character experiences it for the first time.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Ok, that was actually a little funny.

quote:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Stop picking on Hank Pym or he might have to smack a bitch.

Alternatively, stop picking on Scott Lang, he's an okay dude.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Evidently MJ dated Ant-Man in the newspaperverse.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Seems legit

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail Meets Manta Ray Photobombs

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mark Trail have always been all about the wildlife photobombs.

Also the skeleton tribe looks badass.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Wow, this is garbage

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Is there any reason this is split into two panels? Is there some sort of syndicate thing or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yesterday's Fingerpori (fittingly the strip for 8.8.) sure went places.

• Locked thread