Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

FogHelmut posted:

I'm watching this first episode and the music is cool and good like John Carpenter wrote and recorded it himself.

maybe I'm losing my drat mind but I swear they used a CONELRAD piece in there (i.e. the guy who did the music from the finale one of that trippy front page series with angels and unfolders)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
can't find anything to place that online though, must have just sounded really similar

edit: this is the thing I referenced from the front page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AENiX7YbaHY

it was also kind of supernatural/Lovecraftian so it seems like CONELRAD and its sound would have fit in well

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

The Dennis System posted:

I'm sorry to be negative, but I don't think this is a very good show. I don't know why people like it so much.

I think people like it because its genuine and sincere without any of the edge of irony and slickness that's present in nearly all modern media. Its filled with likeable, relatable, naturally written characters who are nice to each other, care for each other and work together to solve a horrifying problem. Its a show light on Shamalayanian plot twists and cheap back stabbing, but heavy on heart and emotional engagement. When to a lot of people, the world seems to be spiraling towards some looming, yet unknowable catastrophe its nice to have a show that makes you feel better about people for once. Also the whole nostalgia thing I guess.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

AEMINAL posted:

So has Tumblr obsessively sexualize the gently caress out of this show yet

I dunno but fat activist and stylish potato aka Virgie Tovar basically said Thin Privilege was Barb's real killer.

quote:

"And as Nancy begins her walk upstairs to Steve’s bedroom (the stairs are symbolic of Nancy’s choice to socially ascend), Barb reminds her "this isn't you" and asks her to show an act of solidarity. Nancy refuses, rejecting Barb's request for friendship in favor of heteronormativity."

She also referred to Barb as a "fashion-forward" babe but this is coming from someone who dresses like an elderly lady suffering from years of loneliness and toxoplasmosis.

Also:

quote:

"In my erotic-friend-fiction version of Stranger Things, Barb and Jonathan get together, decide to leave all the basic people behind in the monster hell they have created for themselves through their willful ignorance, and have a 1000-hour Barb-focused sex-and-hotdog-eating binge."

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

A Pale Horse posted:

I think people like it because its genuine and sincere without any of the edge of irony and slickness that's present in nearly all modern media. Its filled with likeable, relatable, naturally written characters who are nice to each other, care for each other and work together to solve a horrifying problem. Its a show light on Shamalayanian plot twists and cheap back stabbing, but heavy on heart and emotional engagement. When to a lot of people, the world seems to be spiraling towards some looming, yet unknowable catastrophe its nice to have a show that makes you feel better about people for once. Also the whole nostalgia thing I guess.

I hate to be negative again, but I'm going to have to disagree with almost all of this. I don't think there's anything sincere or genuine about this show. I read it as a completely cynical and calculated attempt to mix a bunch of different popular nerd movies and TV templates together into one bag. It's Twin Peaks meets Lost meets E.T. meets Freaks and Geeks meets etc. Its a cobbled together Frankenstein of a million different properties without any identity of it's own. The characters don't seem naturally written to me, especially the nerd kids, with their throw-away references to the most obvious nerd properties like The Lord of the Rings and Dungeons and Dragons. Winonna Ryder's character is a constantly screeching lunatic who seems completely unrelatable.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Millie posted:

I dunno but fat activist and stylish potato aka Virgie Tovar basically said Thin Privilege was Barb's real killer.

She also referred to Barb as a "fashion-forward" babe but this is coming from someone who dresses like an elderly lady suffering from years of loneliness and toxoplasmosis.

Y'know as a minority I sympathize with the fact that for 90% of media and like 99% of genre media the pretty white couple are the ones who get to survive while anyone who deviates from that baseline is free game for monster fodder, but it's not like they didn't portray Barb accurately-- as a sheltered, insecure teenager girl who hadn't found the strength and maturity to seize her own identity stuck at the crossroads where her best friend was growing up faster than her, and then her moping put her in the wrong place at the wrong time to become monster food.

On a metatextual level it's valid to note that yeah, the fat friend dies the same way in loads of other media the black friend dies, or the two slightly uglier best friends hook up, or the fat person is the butt of the worst jokes, but contextually it's not like the show takes any cheap shots at her and goes out of its way to give her dimension before killing her off.

loving :lol: at being fashion-forward though.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I don't know what that tumblr person is talking about, but the "hot" girl looks dangerously anorexic. Like, she looks like she needs to be hospitalized immediately.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

I don't know what that tumblr person is talking about, but the "hot" girl looks dangerously anorexic. Like, she looks like she needs to be hospitalized immediately.

uhhhhh-

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

:lol:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

:hampants:

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I hate to be negative again, but I'm going to have to disagree with almost all of this. I don't think there's anything sincere or genuine about this show. I read it as a completely cynical and calculated attempt to mix a bunch of different popular nerd movies and TV templates together into one bag. It's Twin Peaks meets Lost meets E.T. meets Freaks and Geeks meets etc. Its a cobbled together Frankenstein of a million different properties without any identity of it's own. The characters don't seem naturally written to me, especially the nerd kids, with their throw-away references to the most obvious nerd properties like The Lord of the Rings and Dungeons and Dragons. Winonna Ryder's character is a constantly screeching lunatic who seems completely unrelatable.

Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion, even if it is completely wrong.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hm

hmmmmmmm

Were you actually ever a child? I mean, I think fifty percent of what I talked about when I was ten years old incorporated the words "Pokemon" and "Goku" so talking about nerd properties constantly seems perfectly natural to me.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Today it would be all snapchats and pokemon gos.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The Lord of the Rings

I think you mean The Hobbit

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I also thought the main girl looked rather anorexic, particularly when she took her shirt off to show her boyfriend her new bra. But I guess it worked for the character, because it implied a kind of frailty and vulnerability; fear of being 'just another notch on the bedpost', anxiety about balancing school and social life, and the detachment from her family.

The Byers family was definitely of a lower social strata than the Wheelers. Ex Husband was a loser, mom was neurotic and insecure that her older son chose to work to help out financially, older brother didn't seem to have any friends and was judged as a peeping tom, and the younger son was a nerd.

If you think about it though, they're not really that worse than the Wheelers; the dad is basically stuck in 'Dad Dimension' the whole time and pretty oblivious to everything. Mom came off as a really fake and superficial and was MUCH slower to pick up that her kids were having problems (also had no idea 11 was hiding in the basement the whole time), the older sister was trying to be one of the 'cool kids' and didn't have a good relationship with her parents, and their son basically just hid in the basement playing D&D, in part because nobody paid much attention to him. Oh, and the poor little girl who has seriously seen some poo poo :stare: .

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
has anyone called el a mary sue yet ?? if not let me be the first, and furthermore,

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

if you think that girl looked anorexic you're fuckin obese. you can see ribs and collar bones when someone is human shaped

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

She's definitely thin, probably could hit the weights a bit, but not anorexic.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

011 FOREVER

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Winonna Ryder's character is a constantly screeching lunatic who seems completely unrelatable.

Lol... This guy has never met a poor single mother who is overly protective of their children. She played it very well.

Except today, they screech on Facebook.

Oh, and CineD is that way - - - >

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I have one episode left, but it's a better Silent Hill movie than the Christophe Gans one was, and Winona Ryder crying into a bundle of Christmas lights was Tom-Hanks-in-Castaway good. The show kind of beats you over the head with the fact that it's set in the 80s, which is my only mark against it. The Americans did that better, IMO.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

psychokitty posted:

I hope hopper and Winona hook up next season

They've probably hooked up in the past. There's a part where two deputies are talking about the two having a previous association

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it's implied that Hop has banged every available woman in town even the librarian :laugh:

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Booblord Zagats posted:

They've probably hooked up in the past. There's a part where two deputies are talking about the two having a previous association

they're tards though

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

psychokitty posted:

they're tards though

Yeah, but the black deputy had a very knowing look on his face about it

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

The fact that she calls him Hop instead of Chief or Chief Hopper also implies a more personal relationship in the past.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RedMage129 posted:

"I wish Wynona Ryder hadn't reacted so much as a single mom who lost her youngest son under mysterious supernatural circumstances." - a bad opinion that somehow people have.

Doesn't really surprise me, a lot of people just don't like seeing women doing much other than being a simpering B-role. Def not taking charge and being a big part of the plot. A bunch of people were like 'ugh she looks so bad' too even though nah she actually looks really good.

Wynona actually said in an interview that it was refreshing playing a role where she could really let loose and get emotional with it (and she was scared she wouldn't be able to do it even) and I think given the situation the character was in between having her kid disappear but maybe still be trapped somewhere while everyone around her thinks he is for sure dead and she's for sure going nuts, Wynona did it exactly right.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Also I am pumped for the RLM guys to be reviewing it soon. I'm almost certain that this is the first time a (not on)TV show has made them feel the desire to review it.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

psychokitty posted:

they're tards though

yeah ere the end I was getting afraid that after getting caught in HNL the sheriff was gonna get fired and those goobers would take over

Game of Thrones has ruined me wrt always expecting the awful people are going to win :sigh:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
is the black deputy the black kids father or no? they show his parents at the funeral for the stuffed will doll iirc but that's about it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
also Nancy did not look anorexic to me at all perhaps certain people didn't see many half naked teenage girls in high school

A Pale Horse posted:

The fact that she calls him Hop instead of Chief or Chief Hopper also implies a more personal relationship in the past.

Maybe, it could also just be because it's a tiny town. They probably went to grade school together.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 8, 2016

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

thathonkey posted:

is the black deputy the black kids father or no? they show his parents at the funeral for the stuffed will doll iirc but that's about it

black kids don't have fathers :confused:

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
maybe it's just me but I found "crazy stressed-out white trash '80s mom" to be a very sexy look for Wynona.

and the flashback scenes of her and Will were just :3:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

City of Tampa posted:

maybe it's just me but I found "crazy stressed-out white trash '80s mom" to be a very sexy look for Wynona.

and the flashback scenes of her and Will were just :3:

i thought she looked really fuckin' good

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

Maybe, it could also just be because it's a tiny town. They probably went to grade school together.

I forget did they ever say if Hooper grew up in the town or was he just a transfer from The Big CIty™? Either way he moved to the town after his daughter croaked.

Speaking of the way they intercut him finding Will with footage of his daughter dying was really bad. I'm sorry. It was easily the worst part of the show.

City of Tampa posted:

"Looking really good" does not have to mean "sexy" you trog.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

psychokitty posted:

black kids don't have fathers :confused:

if this were reddit youd have hundreds if not millions of upvotes but it's not so you just got me smdh at this post :colbert:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

I forget did they ever say if Hooper grew up in the town or was he just a transfer from The Big CIty™? Either way he moved to the town after his daughter croaked.

Speaking of the way they intercut him finding Will with footage of his daughter dying was really bad. I'm sorry. It was easily the worst part of the show.

You know I just googled that very thing to see if I was talking out my rear end or not and I couldn't find anything. It's kinda nice that things are open to interpretation really, I hate when shows explicitly feed you every single thing.

mind the walrus posted:

yeah that scene felt a little weird to me

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
chopping the hole in the wall was pretty dumb. don't you know how multiple planes of existence work, lady!

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

mind the walrus posted:

"Looking really good" does not have to mean "sexy" you trog.

can't it be both? grew up in hawkins, then got a job and got married in the city, lost kid and lost the wife and moved back home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

can't it be both? grew up in hawkins, then got a job and got married in the city, lost kid and lost the wife and moved back home

That.... that's exactly what I was asking. Did he grow up in Hawkins only to come back, or was he just a transfer from the Big City™

The Big City™ stuff is the only stuff that's established.

• Locked thread