Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Petr posted:

Why does it actually matter what supreme court justices Clinton nominates? Republicans have no incentive to allow any of them through.

Because Trump's damage to the GOP is enough that it makes the chance of flipping the Senate even higher than it would be otherwise. The entire reason Rubio's running for reelection is because the GOP begged/ordered/whatever'd him to do so to increase their chances of holding on to the seat because the GOP knows full well that 50+ Dems in the Senate means everything is going to come down to Paul Ryan and the clown circus in the House as far as laws go while the Dems will nuke the filibuster and not allow the GOP to interfere with their activity in there. Especially political appointments.

It's why if Hilary wins in November and the GOP loses the Senate to the Democrats I'm fully expecting to see Garland's nomination get fast-tracked to a confirmation so that the GOP can avoid Clinton's first major act in office being the nomination of someone decades younger and potentially further left than Garland since the GOP will be powerless to stop the confirmation if they don't have control over the chamber. Not to mention if RBG or any of the other older justices (like Kennedy) also retire then the GOP has to sit and watch the Democrats hand-select replacements without any interference. If Clinton gets to replace Scalia that's crushing for them. If she gets to replace any liberal justices it's crushing to them, but less so than Scalia. If she gets to replace any other conservative, even Kennedy? You're looking at a liberal super majority SCOTUS where Roberts/Thomas/Alito will almost always be on the losing side, especially for any sort of social or civil rights rulings.

Even with a solid 5-4 liberal majority I'd be amazed if we don't see a flood of lawsuits against all sorts of ALEC-written bullshit that has been allowed to linger for too long. Plus the obvious challenges intended to overturn decisions like Shelby County, Hobby Lobby, and Citizens United.

theflyingorc posted:

the most confusing thing in the world was the Malheur thread, where there were both comparisons to Black Lives Matter and discussions about the behavior of the Bureau of Land Management

If you play FFXIV it's also the abbreviation for Black Mage. :science:

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the last time georgia went blue was in 1992, when ross perot split off enough republican votes for clinton to squeak past by 13k votes. (perot picked up 300k votes, mostly frustrated anti-government republicans) polls right now are one thing but as a lifelong georgian i highly doubt my state will go blue this year

There's been some pretty huge demographic changes in the last 24 years that can cover for a lack of Perot or other spoilers. Deal's easily a corrupt enough rear end in a top hat to try and gently caress with the election if it's a make or break thing for Republicans though. I left the state a few years ago and don't miss it much but even if Trump's toxicity costs him the state this year I don't see it going blue in 2020 without some equal level of insanity (or Clinton having had an incredible 4 years that even the GOP can't spin negatively).

ImpAtom posted:

As soon as Clinton dips a bit in the polls you'll see it again.

I'll worry when she's consistently at +4 or lower.

I don't want this election to ever end, and not just because it'd mean Obama and Biden stay in office forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Aerox posted:

FIFTY (if I counted right) major GOP security leaders just released a letter condemning Trump and stating they will not vote for him.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/08/08/us/politics/national-security-letter-trump.html?_r=0

:toot:

Well yeah if the above is any indication he'd nuke Canada for an Arctic front freezing out the Midwest.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

FCKGW posted:

They asked for 28% in 2015 too, not sure what they got

Although now I'm looking it looks like the commission has the ability to review the plans but not reject them so I don't know what to think.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/08/blue_cross_proposes_rate_hike_1.html#incart_2box

"Officials with the Alabama Department of Insurance are reviewing the proposed rate increases and will issue an opinion in September about whether the increases are justified or not, said department spokesman Mark Fowler. He would not comment on the requested increases until the review is complete. Before this year, rate increases were not reviewed by state regulators."

So this is the first year they have reviewed any of the rate increase?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Harik posted:

http://cleantechnica.com/2016/04/27/ivanpah-raised-performance-second-year/

They're doing a hell of a lot better so far this year, so I'd wait until the febuary 2017 performance review to call it a failure. There's a lot to it, but basically they wrote-into the contract and expected ramp-up period, not expecting to hit 100% out of the gate. Year 2 is already looking much better, with a lot less NG usage than year 1.

They wanted, and PG&E gave them, 4 years to hit full capacity. So far it's within it's production goals for the timeframe.

Also OtherworldlyInvader was wrong, Ivanpah has no storage capacity, it is Crescent Dunes that is the prototype plant for CSP with storage.

The company behind Crescent Dunes, SolarReserve has pretty much given up on building more plant sites* in the US in the medium term due to price/cost but has several contracts around the world (South Africa, Chile, China and I think India). The China deal is for 1GW of dispatchable of CSP.

*They can fit more power towers in the same Crescent Dunes site, which the might do in the future.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

So apparently Donald Trump once withdrew financial support for the medical care of his nephew's cerebral palsy in retaliation for his brother / his nephew's father suing over getting written out of their father's inheritance. Donald Trump with-held medical care from a sick child out of spite.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-revoke-cut-off-child-medical-bills-family-feud-a6795131.html

Just so you remember, those evil corporate movie villains from the 80s and 90s were based partially off this man.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The fact that minorities are the principle reason for saving his country from literal fascism should be taken as proof that not only does multiculturalism work but that it should be made mandatory.

As long as old white people remain terrified of anything different and willing to bow before anyone who claims to strike at the objects of their cowardice, this won't be admitted.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aerox posted:

FIFTY (if I counted right) major GOP security leaders just released a letter condemning Trump and stating they will not vote for him.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/08/08/us/politics/national-security-letter-trump.html?_r=0

Honestly curious, has this happened before or is this kind of unprecedented? I can't tell if it's usual political theater or not.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Deadulus posted:

That article says last time was 28%. So still really high but maybe not the 40% range.

Also from that article it seems to be claiming Blue Cross Blue Shield has been lossing $100 millions in Alabama even with an already 28% increase last year.

Yeah, here's a good article that touches a lot of the situation in Alabama that I can find. https://www.healthinsurance.org/alabama-state-health-insurance-exchange/

Basically, Alabama has the 3rd highest insurance premiums and only one insurer. Until this (or last) year, they didn't review any submitted plans at all. Now they have a department that reviews submitted plans to make sure they are "compliant" but apparently can't reject them on strictly price issues, only that they fit the criteria of a qualifying plan under the ACA.

Some good news is that it's likely most of the highest increases will hit the gold plans

quote:

Although Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama (which had the majority of the market share in 2015) raised rates by an average of 28 percent in 2016, the average benchmark plan in Alabama increased in price by just 12.5 percent.

It's probably still gonna be lovely though. :(

Deadulus posted:

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/08/blue_cross_proposes_rate_hike_1.html#incart_2box

"Officials with the Alabama Department of Insurance are reviewing the proposed rate increases and will issue an opinion in September about whether the increases are justified or not, said department spokesman Mark Fowler. He would not comment on the requested increases until the review is complete. Before this year, rate increases were not reviewed by state regulators."

So this is the first year they have reviewed any of the rate increase?

They were reviewed by federal regulators before, now the state is taking over.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 8, 2016

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, here's a good article that touches a lot of the situation in Alabama that I can find. https://www.healthinsurance.org/alabama-state-health-insurance-exchange/

Basically, Alabama has the 3rd highest insurance premiums and only one insurer. Until this (or last) year, they didn't review any submitted plans at all. Now they have a department that reviews submitted plans to make sure they are "compliant" but apparently can't reject them on strictly price issues, only that they fit the criteria of a qualifying plan under the ACA.

It's probably gonna be lovely. :(

Huh, do other states have the ability to reject price increases?

Yeah Humana and United Health but left the state leaving us with only BCBS. I think Oklahoma is in a similar situation.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Aerox posted:

The biggest names on this letter are probably Michael Hayden, Tom Ridge, and John Negroponte, it's not exactly a devastating indictment by a bunch of household names.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Because Trump's damage to the GOP is enough that it makes the chance of flipping the Senate even higher than it would be otherwise. The entire reason Rubio's running for reelection is because the GOP begged/ordered/whatever'd him to do so to increase their chances of holding on to the seat because the GOP knows full well that 50+ Dems in the Senate means everything is going to come down to Paul Ryan and the clown circus in the House as far as laws go while the Dems will nuke the filibuster and not allow the GOP to interfere with their activity in there. Especially political appointments.

It's why if Hilary wins in November and the GOP loses the Senate to the Democrats I'm fully expecting to see Garland's nomination get fast-tracked to a confirmation so that the GOP can avoid Clinton's first major act in office being the nomination of someone decades younger and potentially further left than Garland since the GOP will be powerless to stop the confirmation if they don't have control over the chamber. Not to mention if RBG or any of the other older justices (like Kennedy) also retire then the GOP has to sit and watch the Democrats hand-select replacements without any interference. If Clinton gets to replace Scalia that's crushing for them. If she gets to replace any liberal justices it's crushing to them, but less so than Scalia. If she gets to replace any other conservative, even Kennedy? You're looking at a liberal super majority SCOTUS where Roberts/Thomas/Alito will almost always be on the losing side, especially for any sort of social or civil rights rulings.

Even with a solid 5-4 liberal majority I'd be amazed if we don't see a flood of lawsuits against all sorts of ALEC-written bullshit that has been allowed to linger for too long. Plus the obvious challenges intended to overturn decisions like Shelby County, Hobby Lobby, and Citizens United.

Watching the GOP hang themselves is one of the greatest pleasures of this election. They could have just played ball and done their jobs to allow Garland, but they insisted on trying to go for broke and pinned all their hopes on winning the election. They could have looked for a generic conservative that would follow the usual line, instead they got to backstabbing and ended up with the Orange One who is determined to be such a jackass that he'll haunt them for years to come. They could have given the occasional olive branch to minorities or women, instead they doubled down to please a shrinking group of bigots and have now driven off everybody but their most loyal, dying block.

Now their only hope to salvage control is to turn on their own candidate, which will cost them most of their remaining support.

We're seeing a decades-long strategy completely unravel and it is glorious.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly curious, has this happened before or is this kind of unprecedented? I can't tell if it's usual political theater or not.

It's extremely abnormal. You never see people from the party establishment openly take a poo poo on their presidential candidate after the primaries are over like has happened to Trump already.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Deadulus posted:

Huh, do other states have the ability to reject price increases?

I thought California did but I guess not. From the article I'm reading it says that they were able to "negotiate" small 4% increases the last 2 years, but they're now facing a 12% increase and it says they can't reject price hikes.

Not sure what the point of the commission is then.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

vyelkin posted:

The biggest names on this letter are probably Michael Hayden, Tom Ridge, and John Negroponte, it's not exactly a devastating indictment by a bunch of household names.

Michael Chertoff - so basically Bush's only two secretaries of homeland security.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

vyelkin posted:

But that's going to still have a huge impact on the machine part of the base. If you're a wannabe Ted Cruz who's head of your College Republicans, you might see this list, see the Trump poll numbers, and decide that you too should "make a principled stand" and be like your heroes from the Bush Administration (when we were kept safe).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

SubponticatePoster posted:

Like, what was Pence thinking? "Hmm, yes, I will tie my political future to this yooge gold anchor being thrown into the Mariana Trench, this is a sensible career choice."

My guess, he can see into the future, but only by eight days. So he saw those pre DNC polls.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SubponticatePoster posted:

Like, what was Pence thinking? "Hmm, yes, I will tie my political future to this yooge gold anchor being thrown into the Mariana Trench, this is a sensible career choice."

When they lose, Pence can confirm that he got the same insane offer as Kasich and will claim he ran as VP so he could keep Trump from doing anything crazy if elected. Luckily, thus far Pence has set the record on disagreeing with his running mate, so the plan might work.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Trabisnikof posted:

Also OtherworldlyInvader was wrong, Ivanpah has no storage capacity, it is Crescent Dunes that is the prototype plant for CSP with storage.

The company behind Crescent Dunes, SolarReserve has pretty much given up on building more plant sites* in the US in the medium term due to price/cost but has several contracts around the world (South Africa, Chile, China and I think India). The China deal is for 1GW of dispatchable of CSP.

*They can fit more power towers in the same Crescent Dunes site, which the might do in the future.

I let that slide since I thought it was molten-salt that needed burners to keep from getting too cold too.

Looks like a lot of the hate comes from a WSJ hit-piece where they refused to even look at SEC filings that would disprove their allegations.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Trabisnikof posted:

When they lose, Pence can confirm that he got the same insane offer as Kasich and will claim he ran as VP so he could keep Trump from doing anything crazy if elected. Luckily, thus far Pence has set the record on disagreeing with his running mate, so the plan might work.

If Trump loses, Pence will get a sweet Fox-news contributor gig, write a book, and then run in 2020.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/sopandeb/status/762695048551071745

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I can swear that I saw a story about Trump floating her as a potential Cabinet appointment, but that might just be this fever dream of an election messing with my brain.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well, Michelle Obama had some pretty good childcare thoughts so she's probably right.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Somewhere in Austin, Rob Morrow suddenly awakens in a cold sweat... But no one is there.

Anway, where are Jib Jab and Political Kombat this year?

Where are the Downfall parody videos? Will we do a twist on those by having footage of Trump and dubbing with dialogue in German?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Right-wing meme-based unemployed former broadcaster / Red Sox pitcher / bloody sock enthusiast Curt Schilling is gonna run for president. 8 years if Trump wins, 4 years if Hillary wins:

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016/08/08/curt-schilling-facebook-run-president-no-seriously

2024 will have Kanye and Schilling.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Right-wing meme-based unemployed former broadcaster / Red Sox pitcher / bloody sock enthusiast Curt Schilling is gonna run for president. 8 years if Trump wins, 4 years if Hillary wins:

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016/08/08/curt-schilling-facebook-run-president-no-seriously

2024 will have Kanye and Schilling.

Curt Schilling may be the one person less capable of being president than Donald Trump.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

I want to see the media's face when this is shortened to Ban Christians from the United States. Because now I want to run that fear into every right wing blog or circle as I can to create a fire. You've given me all the words to source and I've learned how its advertised certain trains of thought for decades. It would possibly be piss easy to do. :)

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Curt Schilling may be the one person less capable of being president than Donald Trump.
Counterpoint: Curt Schilling would actually win Massachusetts.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Crabtree posted:

I want to see the media's face when this is shortened to Ban Christians from the United States. Because now I want to run that fear into every right wing blog or circle as I can to create a fire. You've given me all the words to source and I've learned how its advertised certain trains of thought for decades. It would possibly be piss easy to do. :)

Are syriacs, druze, and yazidi really christian, though?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

WampaLord posted:

I can swear that I saw a story about Trump floating her as a potential Cabinet appointment, but that might just be this fever dream of an election messing with my brain.

When asked what women Trump might name as a cabinet member, Trump said his daughter, then suggested the reporter who asked him the question might be a good fit too, since she's so smart.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Counterpoint: Curt Schilling would actually win Massachusetts.

I don't mean he wouldn't win. I mean he would be more incompetent.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.rollcall.com/news/hoh/rand-paul-versus-wolf-trap

quote:

Sen. Rand Paul is on the attack against government subsidies for concerts by acts like Ricky Martin and 98 Degrees.

The Kentucky Republican on Monday criticized mandates providing federal funding for the performing arts venues at Wolf Trap, the Northern Virginia park that's a Washington, D.C.-area mecca for summer concerts.

The problem, according to Paul, is that the National Park Service has been required to commit nearly $600,000 to the artistic portion of the operations.
"It seems like a reasonable and clear division between the national park and its use as a venue for stage entertainment. However, the line seems to have recently been blurred, as the Park Service is handing over $594,000 to the Foundation to offset some of the cost of operations and production," Paul's office said in a statement.

The criticism from Paul is clearly directed at members of the House and Senate appropriations committees involved in drafting the last omnibus spending bill, rather than the executive branch. Paul's office points to report language accompanying the catch-all measure to fund the government that dictates the Park Service funds flow to Wolf Trap's artistic operations.

Looks like Rand Paul is trying to be cool like his dad again.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Artificer posted:

A friend of mine keeps yelling about tpp suppressing net neutrality and providing corporate leverage over national governments. Is there a good source that talks about these conclusions and explains whether or not they are accurate or not? The TPP is mindbogglingly indepth and complicated.

Start here: https://www.eff.org/issues/tpp

The short version is the TPP is indeed super complicated. Much of it is good work towards globalization and free trade, including a little protectionism which is fine in small measures. There's a lot of good, or at least not bad, in the agreement. The sticking point for most people is with its treatment of intellectual property (IP). While it does crack down on stuff like China's blatant copying of foreign IP, it goes much further. America has some absurdly insane IP laws: copyright lasts for 70 years after the death of the author, so roughly 100-120 years for an average lifespan. To put that in perspective, if it were enforced retroactively (it's not, but it's easier to think about), stuff from the 1890s would just now be entering the public domain.

We also allow garbage crap like software patents, which are hugely stifling innovation. Big companies spend literally billions of dollars every year in patent payments and, worse, defending themselves against garbage crap patents. Patents are designed as a bargain: you tell us how your invention works, and you get a monopoly for 20 years. Software patents are used to hold a monopoly on blatantly obvious ideas and then sue other people who come up with those ideas independently and act as a parasite on otherwise productive companies and individuals. They also act as a huge barrier to entry: if you want to get into the operating system business, for example, you're likely going to violate hundreds of patents owned by Microsoft, Oracle, Google, and many others. Good luck litigating them while you try to get your business off the ground.

The US also has awful laws surrounding DRM, to the point where ripping a DVD to your hard drive, for example, is illegal. Not distributing your rip, not telling others how to rip, but just performing the rip entirely for yourself for your own purposes, can land you in a criminal trial. This is just one example.

American IP law is really, really terrible and the TPP exports it to the rest of the world. It's a shame they shoved all this into it because the non-IP sections of the treaty are just fine and would be actively good for the global economy. But American business is largely IP-based because we've exported all of our manufacturing, so it's a huge defensive move defending our largest companies to the detriment of everyone else in the country and on the planet.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Crabtree posted:

I doubt it given that this is a Republican saying it about Middle Eastern brown people. If it were a Democrat and/or targeted white people, we'd already be seeing Fox and co. crucifying them for it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So what's the deal with Gary Johnson and those 40% youth polls at Marrist University?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
This has to hurt :sad:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ColdPie posted:

Start here: https://www.eff.org/issues/tpp

The short version is the TPP is indeed super complicated. Much of it is good work towards globalization and free trade, including a little protectionism which is fine in small measures. There's a lot of good, or at least not bad, in the agreement. The sticking point for most people is with its treatment of intellectual property (IP). While it does crack down on stuff like China's blatant copying of foreign IP, it goes much further. America has some absurdly insane IP laws: copyright lasts for 70 years after the death of the author, so roughly 100-120 years for an average lifespan. To put that in perspective, if it were enforced retroactively (it's not, but it's easier to think about), stuff from the 1890s would just now be entering the public domain.

We also allow garbage crap like software patents, which are hugely stifling innovation. Big companies spend literally billions of dollars every year in patent payments and, worse, defending themselves against garbage crap patents. Patents are designed as a bargain: you tell us how your invention works, and you get a monopoly for 20 years. Software patents are used to hold a monopoly on blatantly obvious ideas and then sue other people who come up with those ideas independently and act as a parasite on otherwise productive companies and individuals. They also act as a huge barrier to entry: if you want to get into the operating system business, for example, you're likely going to violate hundreds of patents owned by Microsoft, Oracle, Google, and many others. Good luck litigating them while you try to get your business off the ground.

The US also has awful laws surrounding DRM, to the point where ripping a DVD to your hard drive, for example, is illegal. Not distributing your rip, not telling others how to rip, but just performing the rip entirely for yourself for your own purposes, can land you in a criminal trial. This is just one example.

American IP law is really, really terrible and the TPP exports it to the rest of the world. It's a shame they shoved all this into it because the non-IP sections of the treaty are just fine and would be actively good for the global economy. But American business is largely IP-based because we've exported all of our manufacturing, so it's a huge defensive move defending our largest companies to the detriment of everyone else in the country and on the planet.

American IP law is partially terrible thanks to a certain business down in Florida that keeps on seeming to get the copyright limit extended every time a certain property is about to expire.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

President of my company is saying it looks like we may all lose our healthcare if that 40% increase rate is the real deal in Alabama.

Any chance this becomes a major election topic? Are other states on the verge of a healthcare collapse?

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 8, 2016

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

iospace posted:

American IP law is partially terrible thanks to a certain business down in Florida that keeps on seeming to get the copyright limit extended every time a certain property is about to expire.

Is it Mickey Mouse?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

theflyingorc posted:

having driven from raleigh to Atlanta, can confirm

the highways in SC are the worst I've run into in America

You clearly haven't been to Michigan

Or utah, where their solution for damaged roads is to just put up a permanent sign telling you "ROAD DAMAGE AHEAD" and call it good on major interstates

iospace posted:

Most copyright extensions actually originate in europe, including the current one where its death plus 70 years.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Grouchio posted:

So what's the deal with Gary Johnson and those 40% youth polls at Marrist University?

He's good at hiding all his horrifyingly terrible positions behind "I would decriminalize weed on a federal level*". That's it.

*but still allow individual states to ban it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Goatman Sacks posted:

Is it Mickey Mouse?

Yes.

fishmech posted:

Most copyright extensions actually originate in europe, including the current one where its death plus 70 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act

• Locked thread