Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

The Rokstar posted:

The nowcast on 538 really isn't a very valuable indicator for anything other than present trends.

I prefer to temper my expectations with their polls-plus forecast, which has Hillary at merely 78.3% to win at the moment.

78.3%? Well C's get degrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Geostomp posted:

This is really depressing. The woman is clearly emotionally disturbed from her son's death and is just being used as an attack vector by whatever right wing hack thinks will get them attention.
I've been trying to explain the difference between Vilerat's Mother and Mr. Kahn to family, and I am making no ground. They see them as exactly the same, and wonder why the media didnt attack clinton the same way they came after Trump. Its disgustingly infuriating.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Doctor Butts posted:

So are SC roads shittier than Ohio/Michigan?
They are really lovely, and SC doesn't have winter like Ohio/Michigan tearing up the roads.

It all comes down to super cheap gas. The tax on gas is 20-30 cents lower than NC and Georgia and that means there's no money to resurface the roads.

Louisiana has better roads these days.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What *is* potentially causing SC to flip if it doesn't have the population trends like GA and NC do?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
This election is like "larry klayman, roger stone and paul manafort; sa, the tigers who had been concealed in the bamboo have burst out onto the veranda"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Trabisnikof posted:

Pretty sure this is going to be the high water mark.

For Trump

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Air is lava! posted:

Okay, so he is a cartoon villain. That sounds like a cliche you'd say as hyperbole.
To be fair, there are legitimate reasons to sue your parents, but I highly doubt that happened here.

Sued her for reimbursement for medical care provided to his maternal grandmother (i.e. his mom's mom.)

So who knows how legit it was.

Lote posted:

Klayman V. Taitz must have been magical. I would've let that go on for as long as possible.

It was technically against Judicial Watch, which Klayman founded and then left (not to be confused with Freedom Watch, his current scamorganization.) Taitz got info that he had been convicted of not paying child support from a JW employee and posted it online. Klayman sued JW for defamation.

Klayman won, proving that there really isn't any justice in this world.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

The Rokstar posted:

The nowcast on 538 really isn't a very valuable indicator for anything other than present trends.

that may be but watch it keep going lower

:sad:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Raenir Salazar posted:

What *is* potentially causing SC to flip if it doesn't have the population trends like GA and NC do?

There's no polling in SC so it's all guesswork, but the conventional wisdom is that it's only slightly more red than GA, so any election in which GA is in play would make SC in play too.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Sword of Chomsky posted:

I've been trying to explain the difference between Vilerat's Mother and Mr. Kahn to family, and I am making no ground. They see them as exactly the same, and wonder why the media didnt attack clinton the same way they came after Trump. Its disgustingly infuriating.

What exactly do they (your family) think Clinton did? Because Clinton as far as I know hasn't trashed talked the mother, she just laughed off years of Republican nonsense.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 9, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's showing up like that because nobody's bothered to poll SC but in 2012 it was only 1% different from the result in Georgia, so 538's model takes Georgia being up for Clinton and extrapolates a national trend that also puts South Carolina at the tipping point.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Spiffster posted:

Look at Utah, cradled all around and from beneath by more progressive..."zesty" states. Go ahead and lower yourself into that pocket Utah. You know how you have wanted to do it.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

What exactly does she think Clinton did? Because Clinton as far as I know hasn't trashed talked the mother, she just laughed off years of Republican nonsense.

From the videos I've seen of her (which have gotten progressively worse as time went on), she's angry that Hillary told her something about a youtube video, the State department not considering her "immediate family" (which is something quite odd but haven't found any details on), and that no one has been able to tell her if some bloody hand prints on the walls of the consulate belonged to Vilerat or not.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

SedanChair posted:

Look at Utah, cradled all around and from beneath by more progressive..."zesty" states. Go ahead and lower yourself into that pocket Utah. You know how you have wanted to do it.

I wish Indiana would listen to everyone around it except for Kentucky... Indiana isn't exactly pollsters #1 priority but come on man seeing the crossroads go blue again would be amazing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Nevvy Z posted:

What exactly does she think Clinton did? Because Clinton as far as I know hasn't trashed talked the mother, she just laughed off years of Republican nonsense.

Vilerats mom was a crazy neocon before Benghazi. So you can imagine how she feels now.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Vilerats mom was a crazy neocon before Benghazi. So you can imagine how she feels now.

Its kind of funny when you read the OP of the crazy family email thread and realize the "secret family member" is his mom

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Btw, are embassies/consulates normally supposed to be in top secret locations that nobody's supposed to know about?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Memnaelar posted:

Conversely, I'm sad that Rhode Island is so insignificant that his campaign bus probably wouldn't have to stop there.

I'd really like to see a Curt Schilling stump speech in Rhode Island.

Maybe Bloody Sock Schilling but not Bloated Racist Schilling.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mr Interweb posted:

From the videos I've seen of her (which have gotten progressively worse as time went on), she's angry that Hillary told her something about a youtube video, the State department not considering her "immediate family" (which is something quite odd but haven't found any details on), and that no one has been able to tell her if some bloody hand prints on the walls of the consulate belonged to Vilerat or not.

The immediate family list is provided by the employee. As stated above, you can tell why she wasn't considered one.

Mr Interweb posted:

Btw, are embassies/consulates normally supposed to be in top secret locations that nobody's supposed to know about?

The consulate wasn't, the CIA annex nearby was.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Also, according to Vilerat's mom, Hillary called her a liar.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
If we're gleefully posting nowcast stuff, here's my favorite:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Filthy Hans posted:

I couldn't find any sort of site or utility that gives a total probability based on up-to-date polling, and the top google hits are mostly articles several months old. The best I could come up with is an market-based predictor site that's like Intrade was except you can't bet actual money on it. The current number is a 62% chance that the Republicans retain Senate, but I have no idea if it's worth a drat.

http://www.pivit.io/politics/2016-us-senate-majority/5365

Princeton Election Consortium has both senate forecasts and general election forecasts. Currently they have the Senate at likely being 50/50. The Democrats need 4 seats to get to 50. Currently they've got 2 all but certain pick ups thanks to Kirk and Johnson being DOA. Harry Reid is retiring and his seat isn't safe however. So in addition to keeping Reid's seat and picking up the Illinois and Wisconsin seats, they still need to pick up at least two. Chances are pretty good, especially with Marco Rubio running around telling women that they've got to keep their Zika babies because God said so.

They've really got to run up the score if they want to continue holding the Senate in 2018 though. There's only 8 Republican seats up for reelection, while both Independents who caucus with the Democrats are up, and 23 Democrats are up. Also it's going to be a midterm year like 2010 when the Republicans freak out and the Democrats stay home.

Sword of Chomsky posted:

Did you point out that Trump spent a week attacking the Kahns, which is what the media was covering, while Hillary made nary a peep about Vilerat's Mom?

Gyges fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 9, 2016

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Bushiz posted:

Is that Johnson OVER Trump in DC :laffo:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

America is perceived as a lawsuit-happy culture because filing a lawsuit is relatively cheap and serves to expedite settlement negotiations. We don't really have an alternate dispute resolution method.

Generally, if someone is complaining about a lawsuit happy culture, and they're American, they've fallen for the lie of the need for "tort reform," which serves to effectively immunize insurance companies from large judgments. As a result, in many states, it's effectively impossible to sue for medical malpractice, as any judgment would be capped at $250,000, which would get eaten up almost entirely by attorney expenses and fees during the course of the trial.

Some dudes even wrote a lovely song about it that isn't that lovely!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lhuN-gpwqo

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

weekly font posted:

Maybe Bloody Sock Schilling but not Bloated Racist Schilling.

You know there's a real special reason why Rhode Island hates Curt Schilling unrelated to his racism, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/38_Studios

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Teddybear posted:

America is perceived as a lawsuit-happy culture because filing a lawsuit is relatively cheap and serves to expedite settlement negotiations. We don't really have an alternate dispute resolution method.

Generally, if someone is complaining about a lawsuit happy culture, and they're American, they've fallen for the lie of the need for "tort reform," which serves to effectively immunize insurance companies from large judgments. As a result, in many states, it's effectively impossible to sue for medical malpractice, as any judgment would be capped at $250,000, which would get eaten up almost entirely by attorney expenses and fees during the course of the trial.

Some dudes even wrote a lovely song about it that isn't that lovely!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lhuN-gpwqo

Also doesn't help that a non-trivial amount of our commercials are injury attorneys, at least here in Milwaukee.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

iospace posted:

Also doesn't help that a non-trivial amount of our commercials are injury attorneys, at least here in Milwaukee.

PI attorneys were always around, but the lifting of restrictions on attorney advertising really allowed public awareness of them to spread. A widespread campaign can pay for itself if you get a few good cases out of it, considering the contingency system-- plus the client gets the compensation they're legally owed.

It just kinda makes us all look like ambulance chasers, is all.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Raenir Salazar posted:

super low republican turnout and super high democratic turnout

it's largely polling anomalies though. georgia could go blue this year, but probably wont. south carolina certainly wont

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 9, 2016

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Teddybear posted:

Generally, if someone is complaining about a lawsuit happy culture, and they're American, they've fallen for the lie of the need for "tort reform," which serves to effectively immunize insurance companies from large judgments.

Also we don't have a loser pays system. In fact it's hard in general to get the judge to force the loser to pay even if it's obvious the lawsuit was malicious.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Trabisnikof posted:

Also OtherworldlyInvader was wrong, Ivanpah has no storage capacity, it is Crescent Dunes that is the prototype plant for CSP with storage.

The company behind Crescent Dunes, SolarReserve has pretty much given up on building more plant sites* in the US in the medium term due to price/cost but has several contracts around the world (South Africa, Chile, China and I think India). The China deal is for 1GW of dispatchable of CSP.

*They can fit more power towers in the same Crescent Dunes site, which the might do in the future.

I inappropriately conflated overnight energy storage with the thing Ivanpah does where they burn NG to heat up the system in the morning to get output running faster. Thanks for setting the record straight.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

:smugdon:

EDIT: Like Trump is so aggressively stupid that even a good chunk of standard Republican voters are abandoning him.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 9, 2016

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bushiz posted:

But if you unskew this poll, Trump wins by 200%!
loving lamestream media.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

happyhippy posted:

But if you unskew this poll, Trump wins by 200%!
loving lamestream media.

11th dimensional cheeto chess.

So did any new beefs come out of the Trump speech today? All I heard of it was repealing the estate tax and some other economics garbage that's par for the course with the GOP, but nothing new on the "say just every dumb loving thing" front.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
The one true polling aggregator has updated:

Man, those polls just keep getting more and more liberally biased!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Crain posted:

11th dimensional cheeto chess.

So did any new beefs come out of the Trump speech today? All I heard of it was repealing the estate tax and some other economics garbage that's par for the course with the GOP, but nothing new on the "say just every dumb loving thing" front.

Just standard boring stuff as far as I know, he was reading (poorly) off of a teleprompter and didn't even mention his arch enemy, a literal baby.

Here's the economic plan details he released: At some point in the future, he will have an economic plan.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
When do we get the unskewed polls? The ones where Trump is winning New York, Minnesota and California!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rasmussen is biased TOWARDS :abuela: ?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Spiffster posted:

For those interested, the latest li'l jump in the now-cast is due to a poll showing Trump barely hanging on in Missouri. Not really the reddest state, but not previously considered in play either.

Trump sure is redrawing the map, just like he said he would!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Susan Collins will not vote for Trump

quote:

I will not be voting for Donald Trump for president. This is not a decision I make lightly, for I am a lifelong Republican. But Donald Trump does not reflect historical Republican values nor the inclusive approach to governing that is critical to healing the divisions in our country.
With the passage of time, I have become increasingly dismayed by his constant stream of cruel comments and his inability to admit error or apologize. But it was his attacks directed at people who could not respond on an equal footing — either because they do not share his power or stature or because professional responsibility precluded them from engaging at such a level — that revealed Mr. Trump as unworthy of being our president.

My conclusion about Mr. Trump’s unsuitability for office is based on his disregard for the precept of treating others with respect, an idea that should transcend politics. Instead, he opts to mock the vulnerable and inflame prejudices by attacking ethnic and religious minorities. Three incidents in particular have led me to the inescapable conclusion that Mr. Trump lacks the temperament, self-discipline and judgment required to be president.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/gop-senator-why-i-cannot-support-trump/2016/08/08/821095be-5d7e-11e6-9d2f-b1a3564181a1_story.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Did one of JEB! Bush's kids really endorse trump? Is Jeb somehow still a mess even after the loving primary?!

• Locked thread