Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Kin posted:

I just finished season 3 of TNG as part of my Blu-ray marathon and gently caress me, that was some good TV (best of both worlds pt1).

Something that's irking me about the set though is that that special features seem to disjointed. I don't want to jump back and forth between disks, but when you stick on the extras they'l often be talking about the episodes later in the season. I've seen them all, but I've not seen them since they aired so it's nice to not really know what's coming up.

I do really like how season 3 pretty much solidifies Pickard as the righteous hammer of authority though. You just don't gently caress with him, even when he's on holiday.

I also hate the special features placement. I'm dragging my wife through all 7 seasons on bluray and a ton of poo poo got spoiled for her.

I made the mistake of ordering Season 5 "used" and the case showed up with literally zero discs inside. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Was it eBay? Did the auction say season 5 case.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Evek posted:

Have you been watching the classic episode trailers? They are amazing.

Only for the first 2 seasons to remind me of how amazing a job they did with the improvements. I stopped because they were far too cheesy and totally didn't fit the tone of the episode they were going to show next. Does it stick like that all the way through to season 7?

Trickjaw posted:

You certainly don't misspell his name.

Pfft, i watch Star Trek, i don't fanfic it.

Oh, and the 10 minute ads for the other seasons on the first disc for each season can gently caress off too.

edit: It's also odd seeing Wesley in an actual uniform. I forgot he made it into that before abandoning the show.

Kin fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 9, 2016

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

AdmiralViscen posted:

I haven't watched TNG since the 90s, and my wife has never seen it at all. We have been getting into it the last few days, watching in rough order based on some website's recommendations.

Is there some generally agreed-upon list of what the best episodes are for each season? The one I'm using seems kinda short.

https://medium.com/maxistentialism-blog/star-trek-the-next-generation-in-40-hours-c4a6762cbd3#.r2q8nehrv

It was just some random poo poo I googled.

This is a halfway reasonable "best of" list, but it's way, way too harsh if you're just trying to cut out the really bad episodes. The fact that "Conspiracy" isn't on the list for season one is a travesty too. That episode is ridiculous, but it's also awesome and you have to be one hell of a joyless motherfucker not to get any enjoyment out of it.

The only episodes I'd even consider skipping in season three are "The Price," "Ménage à Troi," and maybe "Transfigurations." And mostly just because they're kind of boring, and "The Price" is also a showcase for how bad the TNG writers were with relationship stuff. There are plenty of other mediocre ones, but skipping them on a first watch or first rewatch after that long is really silly.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I say you shouldn't really skip any. Like with a lot of other slow starting shows, you appreciate the quality of the better, later, stuff so much more after you see it's worst.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I kind of agree, but I also think that there's so much good TV now that it's hard to justify inflicting "Encounter at Farpoint" or "Code of Honor" on anyone. There are like 10-15 episodes throughout the run of the entire series that are just really bad, and they stand out as really bad even compared to the episodes that come immediately before or after them.

Skipping like a third or more of every season is really ridiculous, though. Most of TNG is honestly pretty good.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You can skip episodes as long as you hate fun, where fun is defined as doing things you don't enjoy so that you can fit in with a dozen 30 something nerds on the modern equivalent of a star trek usenet group.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Getting back to the worst Voyager discussion, I'm always surprised that there isn't more hate for Coda which, to my mind, has what is quite possibly the worst script in the history of Star Trek.

Janeway keeps dying in some sort of weird time loop (iirc some of these scenes seem to be from Chakotay's perspective, even though that makes no sense), so that's the mystery right? Nope, because then the plot shifts to a different Voyager trademark of hallucinatory weirdness and the crew acting craaaazy, but nope that's not really what the episode is about either, because then an alien pretending to be her ghost dad shows up and tries to lead her to the "afterlife" and she fights it and wakes up and it was all a dreamlucination but it was too real and maybe they were just somewhere with an evil alien or maybe these evil aliens are everywhere and heaven is a lie and makes you think doesn't it? But no it doesn't because two-thirds of the episode had nothing to do with any of that crap and oh my loving god you can't just mash three different recycled plots together with no through line, slap a spooooky ending on it and call it a loving story.

Also I found this:

Sperg Space 9 posted:

The development of this episode began as an amalgamation of plot ideas that Star Trek: Voyager's writing staff had been considering. Executive producer Jeri Taylor explained, "It was a combination of several threads of ideas that we had been kicking around. None of them seemed to be working on their own. Then we began cobbling them together, and all of a sudden we had this wonderful, rich mystery."

:laffo:

e: I should clarify that when I said "worst script" I meant in terms of plot coherence. There are plenty of episodes that have way more offensive premises and way dumber dialog. Coda is awful in terms of delivering a quality product but it's probably still not worst tier because at least it isn't actively hateful (except for, you know, saying religion might be an alien plot to steal our souls).

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 9, 2016

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Cojawfee posted:

Was it eBay? Did the auction say season 5 case.

No, Amazon "used" 3rd party fulfillment. By then the whole series was available for the price of 3 seasons, so I bought the whole poo poo and returned the empty case. Giving the first few seasons to my TNG buddy for his bday.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I can't believe I missed Vic Fontaine chat. I mean, someone actually said that James Darren's actual singing was bad? God drat that was a lot of 100% wrong opinions. Except that one mirror universe episode, that one you can call bad and I like most of the DS9 mirror universe episodes.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Just cracked out best of both worlds part 2. It was good, but i think after First Contact raised the 'seriousness' bar, it doesn't really have the same gravity it maybe once had.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like skipping Farpoint will make the eventual references in All Good Things mean less.

Also, there is some great quotable B-roll on even "bad" episodes. We often remember them for their A-plot, and forget that a moment we love and remember is buried in the same episode.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kin posted:

Just cracked out best of both worlds part 2. It was good, but i think after First Contact raised the 'seriousness' bar, it doesn't really have the same gravity it maybe once had.

I was saying this earlier, but The Next Generation really stuck the landing on just a few of the concluding episodes of their two-parters -- many of them because they had no idea what to do for a resolution (as in the case with BOBW2, since they had no idea if Stewart was coming back, or Unification, which was just a wet fart), and others (looking at you, Time's Arrow) that just sucked out loud from the start.

Trent posted:

Also, there is some great quotable B-roll on even "bad" episodes. We often remember them for their A-plot, and forget that a moment we love and remember is buried in the same episode.

While the writing pretty much universally improved once Berman replaced Roddenberry and Piller took over the writing staff, I have to blame Piller for insisting that every episode needed to feature one character in the A story and feature a totally different one in the B story, because it just got insipid. "Tonight, on STAAAAAAAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION, Picard must desperately avert war with the Romulan Empire. Meanwhile, Data experiments with masturbation."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't get the hate for Time's Arrow. I loved that one as a kid, and it's the only reason I know who Jack London is.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Kibayasu posted:

I can't believe I missed Vic Fontaine chat. I mean, someone actually said that James Darren's actual singing was bad?

Right? It might not be your cup of tea, but he sings those songs beautifully. I downloaded the album years ago and used to listen to it when I couldn't sleep. Very soothing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Time's Arrow was amazing. I love anything that goes into the past.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

All I can ever think about whenever Time's Arrow comes up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rd5DlT_m8I

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pretty much every TV show has terrible episodes, and TNG only having like 3-ish seasons that are not considered "great" is pretty good for the amount of content they chugged out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

People don't like Time's Arrow????? Jesus what the gently caress.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

WickedHate posted:

I don't get the hate for Time's Arrow. I loved that one as a kid, and it's the only reason I know who Jack London is.

Mark loving Twain.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like Time's Arrow. Rather a lot.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

As meh as most of Time's Arrow is, it's basically Shakespeare compared to Workforce. My god that's an awful two parter. Probably the worst one in the entire franchise.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

MikeJF posted:

You're missing Where No One Has Gone Before.

In retrospect, "Where No One Has Gone Before" combined with the Q subplot from "Encounter at Farpoint" seems like it would have been a much better first episode.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

WickedHate posted:

I can't stand Jack London, racist piece of poo poo, so I find it hilarious that the episode has it that his entire writing career starts just because Twain is trying to get him to go away...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I like Time's Arrow because

Delsaber posted:

All I can ever think about whenever Time's Arrow comes up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rd5DlT_m8I

It led to that.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

WickedHate posted:

Honestly, my favorite thing about Time's Arrow is that the Ent-D crew got to meet a historical character and he said things that I think the real person would have said in that situation.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Apollodorus posted:

Honestly, my favorite thing about Time's Arrow is that the Ent-D crew got to meet a historical character and he said things that I think the real person would have said in that situation.

It's kind of hilarious to think about that one Bolian finding out about what happened later. "Sorry, that's a guy from ancient Earth history that showed up hear because of evil psychic vampires". Do you think that sort of thing happens to ships crewed by other species?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
While The Thaw may not be a great episode, it has great moments. The Clown having Harry restrained as he takes out the scalpel is great horror moment, and The Doctor bringing it to a halt is a palpable relief that cements him as a Spock-like figure. That episode is probably the only positive memory I have of Voyager.

Maybe I just have a weakness for Joe Menosky scripts after Darmok and Dramatis Personae. Hell, I think the biggest problem with Masks is that it should have been the two parter instead of Gambit.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Paradoxish posted:

"The Price" is also a showcase for how bad the TNG writers were with relationship stuff.

How can you say that? Is there a relationship that can't include the "My love is like a FEE-VAH!" speech? I attest that there is not.

EDIT - Wrong stupid Ferengi story.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Time's Arrow makes me wish there had been an episode where they go back in time to stop Emperor Norton from conquering the world.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wasn't there a proposal for a Trek time travel series at one point?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There was, we're just in an alternate timeline where it was prevented from happening.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cojawfee posted:

There was, we're just in an alternate timeline where it was prevented from happening.

Is that what that smell is? Alt Universe funk?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah The Thaw is good Voyager even if the clowns look kinda dumb.

And that version of Mark Twain was the worst because the actor was (badly) playing him as a completely larger-than-life character and wore more reflective of the legend of Mark Twain as a wry old curmudgeon in a white suit than the actual man. He wasn't even that old when he lived in San Francisco.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Is that what that smell is? Alt Universe funk?

Are you in the universe where they tried to redo Wrath of Khan three times? If so, you're in the bad universe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cojawfee posted:

Are you in the universe where they tried to redo Wrath of Khan three times? If so, you're in the bad universe.

It's the universe with Insurrection and Nemesis.

We're all in the bad universe.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
if you don't think we're in a dystopic alternate timeline please consider that donald trump is 1 step away from winning the presidency.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Baloogan posted:

if you don't think we're in a dystopic alternate timeline please consider that donald trump is 1 step away from winning the presidency.

When did we end up in the bad universe though? Everything was going so well!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
My gut tells me that in the real timeline the USSR still exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Rhyno posted:

When did we end up in the bad universe though? Everything was going so well!

I've narrowed it down to the airdate of Parallels.