Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Iron Crowned posted:

"my proudest moment was not doing my job!"

I wonder if republicans realize that its poo poo like this that upgrades their already punchable faces to new levels.

He wanted to be Majority Leader his entire life. I'm going to enjoy watching him get kicked out of that roost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Emanuel Collective posted:

Is there any evidence that Clinton's surge is translating down-ballot? Clinton's strategy appears to be "Republicans, Donald is a singularly bad candidate, vote for me!" not "Donald is the end result of your policies and strategies, purge your party"

Voters have two options assuming they find Trump reprehensible:

- Vote for Hillary, then vote for whoever

- Don't vote

It's exceedingly unlikely that people will show up and not vote for the Presidential candidate. So what you're left with is either Republican voters don't show up at all, or they for some reason vote for Hillary and then vote for the guy who's probably endorsed Donald Trump in the Senate race. The most likely scenario is that if they don't vote for Trump, they won't vote at all.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

- Don't vote

It's exceedingly unlikely that people will show up and not vote for the Presidential candidate. So what you're left with is either Republican voters don't show up at all, or they for some reason vote for Hillary and then vote for the guy who's probably endorsed Donald Trump in the Senate race. The most likely scenario is that if they don't vote for Trump, they won't vote at all.

I could see this happening in the Senate races, but the most vulnerable Senators have already distanced themselves from Trump. The problem is in the House, where the GOP has gerrymandered their districts to hell and back, requiring more than just widespread apathy to overcome the incumbent.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is there any evidence that Clinton's surge is translating down-ballot? Clinton's strategy appears to be "Republicans, Donald is a singularly bad candidate, vote for me!" not "Donald is the end result of your policies and strategies, purge your party"

It's one of those things where typically a big top-ticket win has outsized coattails. Granted, a lot of people somehow want to insist this election is a special case because Trump but lo and behold the guy with no loving campaign and inferior fundraising is taking a history-making asskicking in the polls after winning the GOP primary by taking the Palin strategy to its logical conclusion.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

I am actually kind of torn, cause I have a choice as to where to vote since I recently moved. Do I help GA flip blue or go home and vote against the turd in human form that is Richard Shelby. (Not actually torn, as a life long Alabamian I have a deep seated hatred for Shelby and Sessions)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I could see this happening in the Senate races, but the most vulnerable Senators have already distanced themselves from Trump. The problem is in the House, where the GOP has gerrymandered their districts to hell and back, requiring more than just widespread apathy to overcome the incumbent.

You're asking a different question then. No, there's not a nationwide phenomenon that's strong enough to overcome the natural advantage the GOP has in the House of Representatives. This is also true in reverse - there's not a nationwide phenomenon (i.e., the Tea Party) that's strong enough to overcome the natural advantage of the Democrats in the Presidential race.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

emdash posted:

some good autocorrect going on here, I think :)

lol ironically while phone posting on the shitter

edit: I am happy I finally trained my phone to autocorrect everything to "poo poo"

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

LunarShadow posted:

I am actually kind of torn, cause I have a choice as to where to vote since I recently moved. Do I help GA flip blue or go home and vote against the turd in human form that is Richard Shelby. (Not actually torn, as a life long Alabamian I have a deep seated hatred for Shelby and Sessions)

Flip GA blue, Alabama will have its reckoning eventually.
Also vote for where you actually live, don't give the GOP an opportunity to throw out your vote for bullshit reasons.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/mmurraypolitics/status/763007182082306048

He raised 80m last month and so far we have no idea what he's spending it on. It isn't campaign infrastructure.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Kulkasha posted:

Flip GA blue, Alabama will have its reckoning eventually.
Also vote for where you actually live, don't give the GOP an opportunity to throw out your vote for bullshit reasons.

Aren't there moves where where the from/to deadlines are misaligned to the point you can't legally vote in either?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

He raised 80m last month and so far we have no idea what he's spending it on. It isn't campaign infrastructure.

Scamming Con Artist gonna Scam.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

zoux posted:

Please. We know what he's spending it on. Any company that has Trump in the name.

CommieGIR posted:

Scamming Con Artist gonna Scam.

I wonder if anyone bothered to tell him you can't keep any excess campaign money after the race is over?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/mmurraypolitics/status/763008129923686400

I guess we're going to find out if political ads matter at all.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

WampaLord posted:

I wonder if anyone bothered to tell him you can't keep any excess campaign money after the race is over?

I really hope he tries to launder it and he gets whacked by the FEC for stealing campaign funds.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Clinton +2 in NC

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/763010051145658368?s=09

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/mmurraypolitics/status/763008129923686400

I guess we're going to find out if political ads matter at all.

Clinton is running primarily attack ads, I think. They know that her image isn't particularly the best (or why she tries to keep out of the spotlight) and is content to bash Trump at every angle. The Kids in front of the TV ad is pretty good, and the one of Trump on Letterman is good, too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Non-election news:

https://twitter.com/evanasmith/status/763011881661587456

whaaaaaaaaaaaaa

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/mmurraypolitics/status/763007182082306048

I thought it turned out that the figure they put out was total Republican Party donations, most of which was not going to the Trump campaign.

Regardless that's pretty unprecedented

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

computer parts posted:

- Don't vote

If you live in one of the (probably 25 or so) least competitive presidential states then you can vote however you want because you don't have a vote in the first place.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hannity had a guy on to talk about taqqiya and how all Muslims are sleeper agents

I hope his is one of the heads that rolls in the coming Fox Cataclysm.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wish I could see his face if Clinton wins with a Democrat majority Senate and he and the other Republicans are suddenly faced with either having to confirm Garland (just publicly wallowing in hypocrisy) or take their chances with a Clinton pick.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Skeesix posted:

Uh.... What?

On my phone so I can't dig up quotes but he argued that Al-Assad's government used peaceful means to address protest in Syria and said that his brutality is a western narrative. Part of his evidence was that western media calls it Al-Assad's "regime" instead of "government."

It's dumb as hell.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bip Roberts posted:

If you live in one of the (probably 25 or so) least competitive presidential states then you can vote however you want because you don't have a vote in the first place.

Republicans don't think like that though. If they did you'd see Gary Johnson get 25% of the vote in Oregon.

More to the point though - they don't think like that because of the down-ballot effect, which is what I've been saying.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
From today's PPP poll.

quote:

69% of Trump voters think that if Hillary Clinton wins the election it will be because it was rigged, to only 16% who think it would be because she got more vote than Trump. More specifically 40% of Trump voters think that ACORN (which hasn't existed in years) will steal the election for Clinton. That shows the long staying power of GOP conspiracy theories.

Republicans are objectively terrible in every way.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

It's the power fantasy of all the crazy anti-government types and/or racists out there to march up to the nearest authority figure and tell them "No, my way or nothing!"

The Republicans really don't care about how they look to those who don't get starstruck by that childish idea or want government to function.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
NBC: Clinton has now outspent Trump $52mn to $0 on advertising http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/team-clinton-now-outspending-trump-ads-52-million-0-n626236

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

From today's PPP poll.

Republicans are objectively terrible in every way.

To be fair, if ACORN was a national organization designed to secretly steal the election for Clinton, then pretending to be shut down 7 years ago is the smart play.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So I haven't paid that much attention to cable news coverage of the election recently. What's the media reaction been to Trump's new "on-message" style, like his Detroit speech? Is it the big turning point for Trump, or are people finally remembering that he's Donald Trump?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Harrow posted:

So I haven't paid that much attention to cable news coverage of the election recently. What's the media reaction been to Trump's new "on-message" style, like his Detroit speech? Is it the big turning point for Trump, or are people finally remembering that he's Donald Trump?

From what I can tell, bad news for Trump keeps coming in so fast that no one really gives a poo poo about the speech.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Harrow posted:

The on-message style? Not seeing much about it. I am, however, seeing a lot of places bash the actual "plan".

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Harrow posted:

I think that was ruined by Trump accidentally saying the word "titties".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Harrow posted:

It was going pretty well until the "Many people are saying Hillary's emails killed that one Iran guy" tweet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

iospace posted:

The on-message style? Not seeing much about it. I am, however, seeing a lot of places bash the actual "plan".

That's what I hoped for: looking past the fact that he resisted making GBS threads himself in public and focusing on how the content of his speech was bullshit.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Harrow posted:

Unlike most candidates where there are gaffes Trump is only notable when he utters an anti-gaffe. He's the p type semiconductor of candidates.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think the shine's worn off and everyone is just waiting for the next explosion.

But beyond that, I don't think it will even matter, now. Trump got himself defined right after (and during) the RNC as Stupid and So Goddamn Crazy, and even if he finally actually managed THE PIVOT and it stuck, all we'd be left with is Warren G. Harding instead of Mussolini.

Warren G. Harding ain't beating Clinton anymore than Benito.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Harrow posted:

That's what I hoped for: looking past the fact that he resisted making GBS threads himself in public and focusing on how the content of his speech was bullshit.

CNN's headline this morning was "Kindler, Gentler Trump?" but now it's a speech fact check.

The media is eager to run with whatever narrative the campaigns try and feed them that will make it look competitive. If Trump is -20 in mid-September and skipping debates, that's a worst-case scenario for cable news.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

zoux posted:

CNN's headline this morning was "Kindler, Gentler Trump?" but now it's a speech fact check.

The media is eager to run with whatever narrative the campaigns try and feed them that will make it look competitive. If Trump is -20 in mid-September and skipping debates, that's a worst-case scenario for cable news.

I don't know, it feels like the media's turned on Trump since the conventions. I think everyone's tired of Trump and they'd rather cover a historic blowout rather than pretend this race will be close when it's clearly not.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just a heads up, but it won't shock me if some right wingers start playing up this dumb story here in Orlando about how the father of the Pulse nightclub shooter attended a Clinton rally yesterday in Kissimmee. Even though he came out immediately and condemned his son when the shooting happened.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HorseRenoir posted:

I don't know, it feels like the media's turned on Trump since the conventions. I think everyone's tired of Trump and they'd rather cover a historic blowout rather than pretend this race will be close when it's clearly not.

The Trumpster fire is news, after all. I mean, doesn't the audience love seeing a heel finally get his poo poo stomped after he preens all over the stage and insults them for the first half?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just a heads up, but it won't shock me if some right wingers start playing up this dumb story here in Orlando about how the father of the Pulse nightclub shooter attended a Clinton rally yesterday in Kissimmee. Even though he came out immediately and condemned his son when the shooting happened.

They started that about two hours ago.

• Locked thread