Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Takes No Damage posted:

If they're going to have fencing on the holodeck they should at least turn it on so they fight on the deck of a pirate ship or something :rolleyes:

This would actually own for all the sports that don't take up as much space (i.e. not cycling or marathon or w/e). Fencing in something that looks like the Death Star throneroom; judo in a bamboo forest, shooting outside of a saloon or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

This would actually own for all the sports that don't take up as much space (i.e. not cycling or marathon or w/e). Fencing in something that looks like the Death Star throneroom; judo in a bamboo forest, shooting outside of a saloon or something.

That sounds like esports.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

KomodoWagon posted:

This loving bullshit is the worst. I went to see Neil Young in Amsterdam a couple months back, they had the same sort of system for beverages. You had to pay for "tokens" and could only buy them in fixed amounts, so unless you were getting like six beers you'd end up with leftover tokens aka wasted money.
david cross had a standup bit about a dumb event in atlanta where you stood in one line to get tickets for beer and then had to stand in a different line to exchange the tickets for beer. how is this a good enough idea to be widespread?

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Y-Hat posted:

david cross had a standup bit about a dumb event in atlanta where you stood in one line to get tickets for beer and then had to stand in a different line to exchange the tickets for beer. how is this a good enough idea to be widespread?

It forces you to either buy large amounts of food/drinks or just give the venue some money for nothing.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Automatic Slim posted:

That sounds like esports.

Well esports is better than real sports so this checks out.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

KomodoWagon posted:

It forces you to either buy large amounts of food/drinks or just give the venue some money for nothing.

And it keeps your bartenders from going into business for themselves. You only need to hire one trustworthy cashier for every few questionable-loyalty food & drinks servers.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's also supposed to be faster when getting the beers, but it doesn't work if it isn't staffed / the staff stole everything

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

KomodoWagon posted:

It's Brazil. Why didn't they just bribe the food vendors with more than the cost of the beer, but less than the cost of the ticket so everyone wins?

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

unpacked robinhood posted:

It's also supposed to be faster when getting the beers, but it doesn't work

ftfy

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
if you split up money / wares, cashiers/bartenders cant get away with stealing money. Its highly ineffective and mostly its just all about a governments general lack of trust in its people.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the world a Chinese ice hockey team forfeited a game when an opposing Kazakh team's player beat the crap out of four of them at the very start. He was trying to rough up their entire bench, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeewMGsDZls

He got DQd but the team won. Now that's sport.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Edit: fck.

Say Nothing fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Aug 9, 2016

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

Meanwhile, on the other side of the world a Chinese ice hockey team forfeited a game when an opposing Kazakh team's player beat the crap out of four of them at the very start. He was trying to rough up their entire bench, too.

That video owns. He was just like 'And now you..and now i'll fight you..and now you..there's no one else to fight...oh, hey! The Chinese bench!, lots of people to fight!'

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It's like a Bruce Lee movie where he just keeps knocking out so many people it ruins your suspension of disbelief and you're like "ahh, give it a rest," but real

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Y-Hat posted:

This happens in loads of places :confused: Do most of you never go to festivals or other events? You just buy X vouchers at 1 booth and then pay with those vouchers at all the other booths. It's a pretty solid idea, as long as they have enough staff.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

For the consumer, there is nothing "solid" about buying scrip in place of making immediate transactions.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Y-Hat posted:

welp i guess i spoke too soon about nothing actually happening at the games themselves

not as impressive of a sports censorship job as this video from the 2010 world cup, but nothing is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaBOZspv9m4

You're posting that like you think it's real.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

shadow puppet of a posted:

For the consumer, there is nothing "solid" about buying scrip in place of making immediate transactions.

It's a lot faster to throw 3 vouchers at someone and get 3 beers than to give someone 20$ and wait for the guy to give you back change etc. But enough about this derail. I'm pretty sure there are 7 million other things that aren't optimal these Olympics.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I just want to post this french rower

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

He looks like a villain who plans on killing the hero by stabbing him thru the heart paddle-end first.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

he looks like he has some racist opinions to share

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
His mouth is eating his cheeks :( :( :(

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

:nvm

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

i remember killing this guy in Dishonored, let me see his huge hands to confirm

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

Well esports is better than real sports so this checks out.

Yes, overweight neckbeards sweating in front of their computers and panting like they ran a marathon is superior to beautiful, sometimes half-naked women sweating and running into each other, or at each other, or with each other.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cthulu Carl posted:

Yes, overweight neckbeards sweating in front of their computers and panting like they ran a marathon is superior to beautiful, sometimes half-naked women sweating and running into each other, or at each other, or with each other.

hey esports has women too, it just so happens most of the good ones used to have dicks

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Al Cowens posted:

Hi I'm not reading all these pages I'm just here to post this so if it's img-timeline oh well suck a gently caress
https://twitter.com/Tansimnews/status/762684679161978880
thank you

LMFAO what a loving pathetic religion.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
how in the gently caress does a velodrome cost 50 million usd

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ArmZ posted:

Administrative costs are very high in Brazil.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

ArmZ posted:

Endless fuckups.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Microwaves Mom posted:

LMFAO what a loving pathetic religion.

Agreed but this twitter is probably fake, the actual Iranian news agency is tasnim news

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ArmZ posted:

They spared no expense on building a high tech velodrome for the Olympics*

*Most of the expenses went into many pockets.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Cthulu Carl posted:

As long as we agree...

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Al Cowens posted:

Hi I'm not reading all these pages I'm just here to post this so if it's img-timeline oh well suck a gently caress
https://twitter.com/Tansimnews/status/762684679161978880
thank you

that rear end just cannot be contained by the censors

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Agreed but this twitter is probably fake, the actual Iranian news agency is tasnim news

Their twitter bio links directly to The Onion, you may be on to something here

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
the worst part about the rio olympics not being a major disaster even though the government did a lot of horrible poo poo is now the ioc will continue to give the olympics to whatever country bribes them the most no matter how lovely it is because they didnt sufer any consequences for doing that

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Dutch athlete Yuri van Gelder is send home because he went out to party and came back to the Olympic Village drunk (and quite possibly coked up).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

time to break out Ogie Oglethorpe from jail

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Yaldabaoth posted:

the worst part about the rio olympics not being a major disaster even though the government did a lot of horrible poo poo is now the ioc will continue to give the olympics to whatever country bribes them the most no matter how lovely it is because they didnt sufer any consequences for doing that

I guess they were right about Brazilians doing everything last minute and that " Everything is fine".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

everything isn't fine, but everything is good enough. it has the Krusty IOC Seal of Approval

• Locked thread