Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
No loving way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

In fairness to him, rigging a primary would be hypothetically way easier than a general election.

But yeah. Bernie burnt a lot of my good will to him invoking bullshit right wing "it's rigged!" rhetoric and convincing otherwise intelligent liberal people that Hillary is a bad person.

The difference between Bernie rigged and Bullshit Right Wing rigged is the former was speaking out against supply side economics and captains of industry Totally Not Bribing our politicians with massive campaign donations. The latter is paid agents burning votes in a massive conspiracy because they hate America and want Queen Hillary to impose Sharia Law.

That's a yooge difference in both meaning and plausibility.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Who had "veiled threat on Clinton's life" as part of the gaffe pool? You're owed some money

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm guessing this is a good sign he is still not taking advice from his advisers.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He's just trying to distract from all the insane poo poo that's going to be said at the religious right conference he's speaking at in a few days.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

zoux posted:

I mean we all know what he meant, but if you're a surrogate this all about the main stream media grasping for another Trump scandal after a bold, presidential speech yesterday. He clearly meant that second amendment activists should exercise their right to vote at the ballot OR he meant that the NRA and other gun lobbies could exert their considerable effort to beat Hillary

That is that the meta context you get from, "Although the 2nd Amendment people maybe there is? I don't know." Trump Whisperer?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

He's just trying to distract from all the insane poo poo that's going to be said at the religious right conference he's speaking at in a few days.

I doubt this is going to top that, considering multiple members at that conference support death for gays and gay camps

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's pretty clear he didn't think that line out. The "..I dunno" indicates he just threw that out without thinking since he's an amateur and says stupid things he's overheard. There's no amount of work his handlers can do to stop that sort of stuff because it's just a reflex he can't really control.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

zoux posted:

This is trivially easy to deflect and spin. So that's going to make the seven day controversy over it even more baffling.

Trump can't deflect or spin anything effectively. His capabilities are limited to doubling down or pouting like a baby back bitch.

He could have easily made the Khan family thing disappear in one news cyclce with some generic press release, but he's constitutionally incapable of doing anything like that, so all his mistakes snowball on him every time now that his audience isn't just creepy right wing primary voters.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

CommieGIR posted:

What was that claim that Trump was turning a corner on gaffes?

https://twitter.com/stevenjldamico/status/763090887350026241?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

He turned the corner all right...

straight into oncoming traffic.

I don't think there's anything he could say that would shock me anymore, it's amazing really.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

That is that the meta context you get from, "Although the 2nd Amendment people maybe there is? I don't know." Trump Whisperer?

What?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
"When I said blood coming out of her whatever, I meant a gunshot wound." - Trump, apparently.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm gonna go ahead and avoid fifth avenue for the next couple of months

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

I mean we all know what he meant, but if you're a surrogate this all about the main stream media grasping for another Trump scandal after a bold, presidential speech yesterday. He clearly meant that second amendment activists should exercise their right to vote at the ballot OR he meant that the NRA and other gun lobbies could exert their considerable effort to beat Hillary

Not that easy since he prefaces the remark with the comment that if Hillary is elected there's nothing you can do to prevent those judges being elected. So saying that they would be trying to keep her from being elected is right out.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

sean10mm posted:

"When I said blood coming out of her whatever, I meant a gunshot wound." - Trump, apparently.

Dear lord.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, Trump's secret service protection team (...he has one by now, right? All nominees do?) is totally just keeping/reporting a running tally of dangerous/treasonous poo poo Trump says for their bosses by this point, right?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
I'm like the most skeptical guy in the world of "no, you don't have to take that in the worst possible way" - and no, there's no other interpretation. He suggested people shoot Hillary Clinton with guns to stop her from nominating Supreme Court justices, there is no ambiguity.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Kayleigh McEnany on CNN just said it was obvious that he was referring to the NRA, the most powerful lobby in America, and that he was saying the NRA can use their polite non-violent lobbying powers to prevent Hillary from being elected.

CLASSIC LIBERAL MEDIA BIAS STRIKES AGAIN. Everyone is just so mean to Trump, twisting his words all the time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thefncrow posted:

Not that easy since he prefaces the remark with the comment that if Hillary is elected there's nothing you can do to prevent those judges being elected. So saying that they would be trying to keep her from being elected is right out.

Sure, I mean again we all know what he meant, but this is about plausible excuses, and a competent campaign would be able to spin this pretty easily.

Of course a competent campaign and Trump can't exist in the same space so we'll never know, but you can see how past pols have spun similar jokes and it shakes out about like you figure: opponents don't buy it, supporters think opponents are grasping, something else happens, the end. Trump's going to keep bringing up this poo poo over and over and over though "can you believe they think I meant that?" so discussions of spin are more academic exercises for us rather than any kind of prediction.

Aerox posted:

Kayleigh McEnany on CNN just said it was obvious that he was referring to the NRA, the most powerful lobby in America, and that he was saying the NRA can use their polite non-violent lobbying powers to prevent Hillary from being elected.

CLASSIC LIBERAL MEDIA BIAS STRIKES AGAIN. Everyone is just so mean to Trump, twisting his words all the time.

Oh it's already on CNN? Dope.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

theflyingorc posted:

I'm like the most skeptical guy in the world of "no, you don't have to take that in the worst possible way" - and no, there's no other interpretation. He suggested people shoot Hillary Clinton with guns to stop her from nominating Supreme Court justices, there is no ambiguity.

Agreed.

This is.. surreal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is really genuinely kind of loving terrifying how the Republican talking points this year have been "arrest or kill our political opponents."

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

You are wrong and reading too deep into Trump.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

Let's be fair, you could also take it as a call to murder any justice HRC might wish to name

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

theflyingorc posted:

Well, I suppose you could argue that he was actually advocating shooting the justices themselves.

e: Yeah, what my predecessor said.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Mr Hootington posted:

You are wrong and reading too deep into Trump.

Read it again, he's saying "This is what trump supporters will think".

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It is really genuinely kind of loving terrifying how the Republican talking points this year have been "arrest or kill our political opponents."

Do not worry. The nazisrepublicans will never actually do anything. Relax.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Mr Hootington posted:

Trump isn't planning any rallies in a beer hall soon is he?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Nice always love the dp.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 9, 2016

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
The classic "murder my opponent" GE pivot.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

So... He literally joked on a national stage that one of his followers should totally just shoot his political opponent and presidential nominee. Seriously? Will the FBI show up at his doorstep now? I know they investigated people for way less. Remember that Ramirez cartoon where he depicted W. Bush as Nguyễn Văn Lém getting shot by a guy labeled media? The FBI was quite eager to have a conversation about that.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
it's easy to tell when Trump's about to say the next super offensive thing

it's IMMEDIATELY after you read an article talking about how it's safe to support him now, his recent behavior shows how presidential he is

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mr Hootington posted:

This is what one of my likely-Trump-voter relatives has said. 40% of America cannot be convinced because they literally refuse to believe Trump is saying anything he actually says. 40% of America literally is falling for the Big Lie.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Air is lava! posted:

So... He literally joked on a national stage that one of his followers should totally just shoot his political opponent and presidential nominee. Seriously? Will the FBI show up at his doorstep now? I know they investigated people for way less. Remember that Ramirez cartoon where he depicted W. Bush as Nguyễn Văn Lém getting shot by a guy labeled media? The FBI was quite eager to have a conversation about that.

Any FBI investigation before the election will be the proof needed that the general is rigged.

Trump will in fact get away with the "how dare you assume the words I use mean what they normally mean" excuse and blame this on the media.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

this is an interesting case for the secret service I'm sure

they'll get some good training out of this one

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

What happens when the Secret Service needs to pay a cautionary visit to someone who has Secret Service protection? Do they just call up his security detail and get them to handle it?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ok, I'm starting to buy the "Trump's being forced to run against his will and wants to sabotage it" theory.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, this is 100% a thing

https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/763093253260390400

Remember how every time Trump gets put on a leash to do a pivot speech the next day he tears it all down again?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

This is what one of my likely-Trump-voter relatives has said. 40% of America cannot be convinced because they literally refuse to believe Trump is saying anything he actually says. 40% of America literally is falling for the Big Lie.

It isn't a "Big Lie." It is "The Hard Truth About How It Really Is."

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

His username is very appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

RZA Encryption posted:

Ok, I'm starting to buy the "Trump's being forced to run against his will and wants to sabotage it" theory.

Me too. Nothing else makes sense.

• Locked thread