Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Zzulu posted:

Superman Returns is very bad. This is scientifically proven

Science sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

LesterGroans posted:

Science sucks.

Tough talk from a guy who didn't die of cholera as an infant :colbert:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Kevin Spacey is still my favorite Luthor. He's like a proto-Frank Underwood and chews up every scene he is in.

Returns wasn't amazing, but I liked the cast a lot better than BvS. The best BvS actors were all the non-superman characters.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Yoshifan823 posted:

You're missing the fact that we already got the scene that shows just how out of Batman's league Superman is, and it's the very first time the two meet. The only difference is, it's not filmed like the moment in Returns where Clark walks heroically towards a gatling gun, it's filmed like the punchline to a joke. You watch a chase scene that is filled with the Batmobile crashing through pretty much anything they put in front of it, to the point where it just drives directly through the hulls of boats, and buildings, eventually in slow motion, and then Batman turns a corner, we get the "oh gently caress god has come to take me" look on Affleck's face, and then the Batmobile bounces off of Superman like a lovely wind-up car. It's hilarious.

I swear, every time people poo poo talk that movie as if "Batman v Superman is poo poo" is some sort of cinematic axiom, I just want to sit them down in front of the movie and watch them watch it, so I know that we actually watched the same movie.
The thing that keeps sticking in my craw is that when I talk to some of my friends about really basic poo poo that is right there on the screen, they regard it like Room 237 type nonsense.

This is how we get people who, for example, believe Nolan's Joker when he says he's an agent of chaos, with no plan, who's not one of the "schemers." After he's planned and executed a half-dozen convoluted schemes. Or that Tony Stark doesn't want to make weapons anymore, when he goes and starts building laser guns before cocktail hour.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

To be fair Tony Stark really doesn't want to make guns. In the sense that he doesn't want them mass produced for warfare. He still makes them for personal use for himself and friends. The idea is that it removes the possibility of them getting into hands he doesn't trust. The irony is that he doesn't really trust himself all that much which is why he gives War-Machine the arguably more deadly armaments, even if in practice they aren't.

Noticeably the mass produced drones from Age of Ultron don't have weapons from memory, they're just a very advanced police tape. The Iron Legion from Iron Man 3 also tend to be about utility over weaponry, and even then he doesn't expect them to be used by anyone other than himself or Jarvis, who he trusts a whole lot as Jarvis is also his security system and partial caretaker as I understand it.

This is also why I really want to see Rescue show up, as Tony Stark in the MCU appears to trust Pepper more than he trusts himself with big decisions.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lord_Magmar posted:

To be fair Tony Stark really doesn't want to make guns. In the sense that he doesn't want them mass produced for warfare. He still makes them for personal use for himself and friends. The idea is that it removes the possibility of them getting into hands he doesn't trust.
"Tony Stark really doesn't want to make guns. In the sense that...he just...aw, poo poo."

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Returns wasn't amazing, but I liked the cast a lot better than BvS. The best BvS actors were all the non-superman characters.

While I think Cavill is fine, even if you disagree with that, there's only one Superman in the film, so that sounds like a pretty good cast.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sir Kodiak posted:

While I think Cavill is fine, even if you disagree with that, there's only one Superman in the film, so that sounds like a pretty good cast.

I meant the superman universe characters that appear in both movies.

Lex, Lois, and Superman.

The best BvS cast members were the non-superman universe characters. Batman, Alfred, etc.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Eisenberg's lex was absolutely fantastic because it was a pitch perfect teardown of every smug, insufferable, dawkins-reciting nu-atheist shitlord in e 21st century, which is exactly why it makes nerds so mad.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I meant the superman universe characters that appear in both movies.

Lex, Lois, and Superman.

The best BvS cast members were the non-superman universe characters. Batman, Alfred, etc.

I was wondering if that's what you meant, but I assumed nobody would suggest Amy Adams somehow couldn't fill Kate Bosworth's shoes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sir Kodiak posted:

I was wondering if that's what you meant, but I assumed nobody would suggest Amy Adams somehow couldn't fill Kate Bosworth's shoes.

I like Amy Adams better, but she was largely a non-entity in BvS. She did fine, but nothing really blew me away and she didn't have a ton of screen time.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Everyone forgets Perry. But then he was a much bigger presence (and had better lines) in the extended cut.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I like Amy Adams better, but she was largely a non-entity in BvS. She did fine, but nothing really blew me away and she didn't have a ton of screen time.

Yeah, I was just responding to you talking about the "cast" and the "actors." If you don't like the characters or think they're badly used, so be it.

Guy A. Person posted:

Everyone forget Perry. But then he was a much bigger presence (and had better lines) in the extended cut.

Laurence Fishburne is better for the version of the character in BvS, but I'm not going to knock Frank Langella.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, I was just responding to you talking about the "cast" and the "actors." If you don't like the characters or think they're badly used, so be it.

Laurence Fishburne is better for the version of the character in BvS, but I'm not going to knock Frank Langella.

My main point was just that Returns was a so-so movie overall, but I really liked Kevin Spacey's performance and Henry Cavill is like Sam Worthington to me. He is completely competent, but just the most generic and forgettable leading man performance ever. Reeves is the only Superman who has really made the role his own.

The most recent couple of Supermen have been pretty meh for me. I wish they could find a RDJ as Iron Man, Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow, or Heath Ledger as the Joker situation where you think "Wow, they were made for this role." but I don't even know who that would be.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 9, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The most recent couple of Supermen have been pretty meh for me. I wish they could find a RDJ as Iron Man, Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow, or Heath Ledger as the Joker situation where you think "Wow, they were made for this role." but I don't even know who that would be.

Nic Cage would have blown everyone out of the goddamned water. :colbert:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Both Cavill and Routh were directed very coolly...in the case of Cavill his Superman doesn't really seem "present" for the scene, he exists on the periphery of reality, even when he's the focus of the shot. His Clark Kent seems much more real and involved. I was hoping that was a Man Of Steel contrivance - as he hasn't fully invested in the role - but the feeling persisted for Batman v Superman. IMO Routh remains cool and distant no matter what side of the character he's playing.

Say what you want about Christopher Reeve but his Superman was definitely the most present of all the modern Supermen.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Nic Cage would have blown everyone out of the goddamned water. :colbert:

Superman has always been kinda one-note for me, with the exception of All Star Superman and Man of Steel/BvS where he at least has some depth. But Man I would have loved to see Cage's take on Kent and Superman.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Both Cavill and Routh were directed very coolly...in the case of Cavill his Superman doesn't really seem "present" for the scene, he exists on the periphery of reality, even when he's the focus of the shot. His Clark Kent seems much more real and involved. I was hoping that was a Man Of Steel contrivance - as he hasn't fully invested in the role - but the feeling persisted for Batman v Superman.

Right up until the end. "You are my world" might be the first time you see Clark Kent wearing the cape.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ferrinus posted:

Right up until the end. "You are my world" might be the first time you see Clark Kent wearing the cape.

Yes, absolutely agree.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Bat-Mite vs. Mister Mxyzptlk is the sequel I want to see.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Man I would have loved to see Cage's take on Kent and Superman.

Now try and picture BvS but made in the year 2000 and starring Nic Cage and George Clooney.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Mover posted:

Bat-Mite vs. Mister Mxyzptlk is the sequel I want to see.

Paul Reubens and Gilbert Gottfried fighting each other plus cameos from every single living actor who was in a DC movie/show? Sure, I'm down.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Now try and picture BvS but made in the year 2000 and starring Nic Cage and George Clooney.

This is loving mind-boggling, but I think it could work. Clooney playing it intense, quiet, against his usual "type": "Do you bleed?" and Cage looking stern, melancholy, which he has down pat anyway.

Who's doing Lex at this point?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shanty posted:

This is loving mind-boggling, but I think it could work. Clooney playing it intense, quiet, against his usual "type": "Do you bleed?" and Cage looking stern, melancholy, which he has down pat anyway.

Jim Carrey

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

As terrible as Batman & Robin is, I thought Clooney was a good Bruce Wayne.

Now I'm thinking of a movie where, Incredible Hulk style, Bruce Wayne and Batman are played by two different actors.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Nic Cage Superman getting stabbed through the heart by Doomsday would have been one for the ages.

Also there's still a home for him in the DCEU:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Nic Cage as Maxie Zeus. He can wear a toga and yell crazy poo poo. Love it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shanty posted:

According to the documentary the rest of the cast would have been Sandra Bullock as Lois Lane, Chris Rock as Jimmy Olson, Christopher Walken as Brainiac and Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Chris Rock as Jimmy Olson

I guess with Bad Company he does have experience playing a CIA agent.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
You need a sort of "blank slate" actor to play Superman. For starters, the character has no mask to hide behind so you can't cast someone that's famous enough to the point where it's distracting and all you see is "OMG, it's...(insert high profile actor)" like you can with Downey, Maguire or Affleck who have their faces covered a lot. Superman is an alien and also an everyman so you need someone playing him that's like "Yep, he looks like Superman. Yep, he looks like Clark Kent."

So, yeah, that's why Christopher Reeve was so god damned perfect. He was a blank canvas, an unknown and just loving looked the part. Cavill was fine and more physically imposing but he never got to really emote and really play with the role much like Reeves did. Routh was fine as a successor to Reeve but wasn't given much to do either. Come it think of it, just about every film adaptation and casting of Superman has been perfectly acceptable; maybe even perfect. Even George Reeves captured that Golden Age/Alex Ross persona of the character well enough. I never saw Smallville.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Cavill's biggest strength is that he's so emotive, he's like Emilia Clarke with those facial expressions.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think the best Lex was Michael Rosenbaum from Smallville. He nailed it. Every scene with him was a treat. Sadly the actor left the show about halfway through and the quality dropped considerably. Their portrayal of Lex was great too. He wasn't explicitly evil and a lot of times he helped out. I think they did a good job of showing Lex's descent into villainy. He starts off as Clark's best friend and more or less turns evil because he felt that Clark betrayed him by never telling him about being an alien and having powers. I really like that they boiled down his ultimate motivation into something so petty, it's a fantastic take on the character.

It also had the best explanation for Lex's baldness. He was in Smallville with his dad during the meteor shower that brought Clark to Earth. The baldness was a side effect of the radiation. Upon discovering that the kryptonite meteorites might be valuable, Lex's dad decides to set up shop in Smallville which gives him a great reason for actually being there. It also makes his motivation to go against Superman even more personal.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 9, 2016

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

All three of those characters have very idiosyncratic affectations that allow for a near limitless threshold for over-acting. It's far more difficult to be immediately captivating with a sincere, stoic role. A good example in a super hero movie was Joseph Gordon Levitt's turn in Dark Knight Rises. Even so, he had a big monologue to flaunt with, which Cavil has never had.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think the best Lex was Michael Rosenbaum from Smallville. He nailed it. Every scene with him was a treat. Sadly the actor left the show about halfway through and the quality dropped considerably. Their portrayal of Lex was great too. He wasn't explicitly evil and a lot of times he helped out. I think they did a good job of showing Lex's descent into villainy. He starts off as Clark's best friend and more or less turns evil because he felt that Clark betrayed him by never telling him about being an alien and having powers. I really like that they boiled down his ultimate motivation into something so petty, it's a fantastic take on the character.

It also had the best explanation for Lex's baldness. He was in Smallville with his dad during the meteor shower that brought Clark to Earth. The baldness was a side effect of the radiation. Upon discovering that the kryptonite meteorites might be valuable, Lex's dad decides to set up shop in Smallville which gives him a great reason for actually being there. It also makes his motivation to go against Superman even more personal.

Smallville was terrible a lot of the time but it hit certain beats so well and really capture the spirit of Superman. Johnathan and Martha Kent were both rad alongside the Luthors.

I really wanted to like Superman Returns and I loved that the space shuttle / plane scene was a great moment that showed superheroics without being about fighting an antagonist.

Spacey's Luthor drawing from Gene Hackman's performance and the whole real estate scheme just felt so dated and really brought the movie down for me and felt like a waste of Spacey.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Kevin Spacey is still my favorite Luthor. He's like a proto-Frank Underwood and chews up every scene he is in.

He was Lex Bialystok. It was so dumb. But I must concede, less dumb than the other big screen Lexes. Though the while real estate scheme again was so loving stupid.

Honestly the best Lex in Superman movies was the one who was not-Lex in Superman III, and he wasn't even that good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah I love Hackman and Clancy Brown too but Spacey killed it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

mr. stefan posted:

Eisenberg's lex was absolutely fantastic because it was a pitch perfect teardown of every smug, insufferable, dawkins-reciting nu-atheist shitlord in e 21st century, which is exactly why it makes nerds so mad.

Yeah. Jessie Luthor was the perfect interpretation for a post-Shkreli world. "I'm actively making the world shittier, but it's cool cause I'm doing it ironically."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

KVeezy3 posted:

All three of those characters have very idiosyncratic affectations that allow for a near limitless threshold for over-acting. It's far more difficult to be immediately captivating with a sincere, stoic role. A good example in a super hero movie was Joseph Gordon Levitt's turn in Dark Knight Rises. Even so, he had a big monologue to flaunt with, which Cavil has never had.

Aaron Eckhart was great as a sincere Harvey Dent, although obviously he got the room to let loose later.

I also like pretending that BvS is a sequel to the Nolan movies, because it adds something to Batman's fears about Superman if they come from having been burned once by putting his faith in a good person who let himself be manipulated into nihilism after losing the love of his life.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BiggerBoat posted:

So, yeah, that's why Christopher Reeve was so god damned perfect. He was a blank canvas, an unknown and just loving looked the part. Cavill was fine and more physically imposing but he never got to really emote and really play with the role much like Reeves did.

Well, after we talked about this I decided to skim back through Superman: The Movie and expound on what I was thinking - why Reeve's Superman seems so much dominate and warmer, and why Cavill seems cooler. And it's not just the color tone. The first thing that jumped out at me is that, in fact, Cavill is not physically more imposing. I had forgotten Reeve's sheer size in this movie, and how it is played up. Reeve looks like a giant in this movie, and he is actually occasionally shot like a horror movie stalker - just filling up the frame. Cavill is never shot this way.

Before you die, you see...The Reeve.

Here's an example of the two of them talking to Lois (btw, I swear I didn't always look for pictures of Reeve smiling. He's just smiling like 70% of the time with Lois. He is having a blast)

Reeve, again, is shot to dominate the frame compared to Cavill. It's more intimate too.

Let's examine how each of the heroes intros to Lois are shot. I'm not using the "blink and you'll miss it" Man of Steel Superman scene where he saves Lois's life from a murderous Kryptonian sentry.

Superman: the Movie pushes in on the two characters embracing almost immediately. Man of Steel has Superman approach at the periphery.

Superman: the Movie has Superman in the center of the frame. In Man of Steel it's Lois in the center. Even on the reverse shots, the wider aspect ratio of Man of Steel makes Cavill's Superman seem a little smaller and more distant. Sorry about the screenshot being slightly smaller but I did this in a hurry

The thing that most jumped out at me in Superman: The Movie was how freaking hard they worked to make Superman big and iconic and "pop" in every scene compared to the much lower-key realism of Man of Steel. For example, there's a scene where Superman approaches on the periphery just like in Man of Steel. Of course in this version he's elevated on the banister, in full costume, with Metropolis as his backdrop:

After a reverse angle on Lois we cut back to Superman and...there's something about this shot I feel like I've seen before...

Oh wait I think I see it:

The easy confidence of Reeve as opposed to the furrowed concern of Cavill is a huge contrast. Here's Superman: The Movie's Superman showing that he can resist being hit by a crowbar. Contrast that with Man of Steel's Superman showing that he can't be moved by a push. One of these Supermen is having a bunch more fun than the other and totally popping out of the frame!

Anyway, you can go to movie screen grabs and get more shots to compare and contrast. I'm sure I missed a bunch as I am a rank amateur at this poo poo.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 10, 2016

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Thank u for the sick post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Christopher Reeve was why I loved Superman as a kid. I saw the movie before I read any comic.

• Locked thread