Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

rscott posted:

This is from this morning and may have been discussed but how mad are broadcasters that one side is basically just not spending any money on ads?

To add onto this, isn't there a law saying you need to give candidates equal airtime? Does that go out the window if one candidate literally has no ads?

Eta: I may also be completely getting the law wrong, but I remember hearing it somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

happyhippy posted:

Can a potential VP take over when a potential candidate dies?
Is there a rule about it?

If the presidential nominee dies before the election takes place, the decision falls to the relevant party. If Hillary dies soon, the DNC would have to get together again and decide, and it sounds like they aren't limited to just the VP or the primary runner up.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Concerning this, is there any value for the Clinton campaign to go for a 50 state plan and just crush Trump, or will they just play to win?

Demoralize Republican base, lower voter turn out in Senate and House races, potentially run board on tide of anti-Republican sentiment. I mean it's nearly impossible, but only nearly. Why not try and shoot the moon?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Spaced God posted:

To add onto this, isn't there a law saying you need to give candidates equal airtime? Does that go out the window if one candidate literally has no ads?

Eta: I may also be completely getting the law wrong, but I remember hearing it somewhere.
From what I understand there's no law about giving candidates equal airtime, just a law that says "you must provide candidates with the equal ability to advertise at reasonable rates." If the candidate doesn't want to advertise then v:v:v

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Hey ya'll I just want to take a moment to point out that America can make and deserves a better Commander and Chief executive than a weaponized tangerine brain parasite.

We shouldn't even be considering a commander of the military who has to have half a dozen surrogates interpret the insane ramblings of the GOP's Toupe T-Rex as it preens itself by the light of earth's final sunset.

The act of interpretation being required should be used to obliterate the considerations of anyone still trying to defend the legitimacy of America's gold inlaid Birther Baboon.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Spaced God posted:

I don't think that applies to ads, just direct appearances on their shows. Like, Trump's on O'Reilly all the time, so Clinton could probably request to be on as well, but lol.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Spaced God posted:

sort of loosely, but it's contingent on the other candidate asking for it. basically if a network gives airtime to candidate A under certain criteria, candidate B can get the same deal at the same price if they want it

RZA Encryption posted:

I don't think that applies to ads, just direct appearances on their shows. Like, Trump's on O'Reilly all the time, so Clinton could probably request to be on as well, but lol.

it does apply to ads, but mostly just to make sure that a network can't preference a candidate by cooking up dumb excuses as to why the unfavored candidate can't buy ads. or prevents them from selling ad time to the unfavored candidate at a mysterious markup

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

rscott posted:

This is from this morning and may have been discussed but how mad are broadcasters that one side is basically just not spending any money on ads?

Maybe they consider all the free (bad) publicity all the exposure they need. Just let the news networks do the advertising for them.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Doccers posted:

So Mussolini's militia was the Blackshirts, Hitler's militia was the Brownshirts, will Trumps militia be the Redshirts?

(Star trek reference ahoy)

Affliction shirts

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Popular Thug Drink posted:

sort of loosely, but it's contingent on the other candidate asking for it. basically if a network gives airtime to candidate A under certain criteria, candidate B can get the same deal at the same price if they want it

it does apply to ads, but mostly just to make sure that a network can't preference a candidate by cooking up dumb excuses as to why the unfavored candidate can't buy ads. or prevents them from selling ad time to the unfavored candidate at a mysterious markup

that makes sense, thanks for setting me straight!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I mean he did just call for Clitons murder on live TV. Holy gently caress this is ridiculous.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The FCC used to enforce the Fairness Doctrine to actually give contrasting views airtime , but they no longer do that. The Equal Time rule for candidates is still in effect.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol in case you needed another reason to hate him, Joe Lieberman is considering endorsing Trump.

The 2000 Democratic vice-presidential pick and presumably Democratic candidate for president in 2008, had Gore won (or lost in 04), ladies and gentlemen.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Doccers posted:

So Mussolini's militia was the Blackshirts, Hitler's militia was the Brownshirts, will Trumps militia be the Redshirts?

Its gotta be "T-Shirts"

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Josef bugman posted:

I mean he did just call for Clitons murder on live TV. Holy gently caress this is ridiculous.

Maybe he finally realized he was dipping in the polls, so he decided to do the only thing he's had success with: pander to his base.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

rscott posted:

Don't political campaigns get preferential rates? They're probably pretty happy that they get to use the ad space on more lucrative contracts.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

How the blue staring gently caress is he going to top this, wearing actual nazi uniform, growing the moustache?

It's a remarkably hard thing to top and I think his campaign staff know how bad it is because they are all out there putting a bunch of different spins on it in the hopes that one of them starts to stick or that they can at least buy time and prevent every media group from simultaneously releasing a story which would be utterly disastrous for Trump. There is no plan for this because none of them thought that Trump would do something this ridiculous and all they know is that it's something they need to mitigate as quickly as possible.

That said, I do think there is a very Trump-style solution to this. While it would be very difficult for Trump to say or do something which tops this, he can probably say something nearly as insane and offensive about a specific ethnicity/group of people. It would be an even fresher disaster story for media groups to jump on and his horribly bigoted core followers would be more likely to approve of it. If I was insane enough to be a Trump campaign staffer, this is the one time when I would encourage him to go out there and say whatever he wants instead of begging him to stick to the script.

On the other hand, Trump has shown himself fully capable of saying something which leads to a new disaster while also doubling down on disastrously trying to defend his most recent gaffe all within the span of a single speech, so who knows how this will pan out.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Oracle posted:

The 2000 Democratic vice-presidential pick and presumably Democratic candidate for president in 2008, had Gore won (or lost in 04), ladies and gentlemen.

What the heck were the Dems thinking during the early 2000's? I mean why was someone who isn't that far left of the tea party being considered as a serious potential presidential candidate?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I wonder if Trump's ego can actually withstand the humiliation of losing badly. I mean we all know criticism appears to flow right off him in theory, but we also see him lash out and act erratically. If he loses by as bad a margin as he appears to be losing now, this could potentially be the kind of thing that will throw him into a narcissist rage, or severe depression.

I'm not going to play armchair psychiatrist, but it's pretty clear he doesn't handle rejection well, and this is probably one of the harshest rejections you could ever face. He's going to be pilloried for months and months after the election. I'm genuinely curious to see how he copes with it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Lord of Hats posted:

Don't political campaigns get preferential rates? They're probably pretty happy that they get to use the ad space on more lucrative contracts.

by law campaigns get reasonable rates in the lead up to an election

superpacs don't :shobon:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Josef bugman posted:

What the heck were the Dems thinking during the early 2000's? I mean why was someone who isn't that far left of the tea party being considered as a serious potential presidential candidate?

The 80's through the 90's are increasingly surreal when compared to today's woke internet connected populace.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

Bill Clinton was the first successful Dem president since Johnson via 'Third Way' (e.g. halfway between Dem and Rep) policies. There's a reason he's also known as the best Republican president we ever had among some circles.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Doccers posted:

Red shirts were already a thing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Shirts_(Southern_United_States)

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Hey guys, remember when alot of the people in the thread said there was no way Trump would ever call Hillary Clinton a oval office before the election was over?

Care to reconsider that given recent events?

Ohh and someone (you know who) told Prester Jane to get out of the thread because her predictions were too far fetched?

Yeah...

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

The answer is surely in the middle...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Freakazoid_ posted:

If the presidential nominee dies before the election takes place, the decision falls to the relevant party. If Hillary dies soon, the DNC would have to get together again and decide, and it sounds like they aren't limited to just the VP or the primary runner up.

They would probably go with Biden, who would undoubtedly be the most qualified candidate on the bench.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

tezcat posted:

Hey guys, remember when alot of the people in the thread said there was no way Trump would ever call Hillary Clinton a oval office before the election was over?

Care to reconsider that given recent events?

Ohh and someone (you know who) told Prester Jane to get out of the thread because her predictions were too far fetched?

Yeah...

What was that thread title someone floated a while back? The Vindication of Prester Jane by the coward Donald Trump or something?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tumble posted:

I wonder if Trump's ego can actually withstand the humiliation of losing badly.

My prediction is he bounces back the next day, and spends the next eight years twittershitting on Hillary.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

rscott posted:

From my understanding, they're ecstatic about it. Because political campaigns get price-controlled ad buys, and you can gouge the PACs as much as you want. Without Trump's actual campaign buying slots at a hefty discount they can make more selling to Sheldon and the Kochs directly.

Edit: Should have refreshed, beaten multiple times.

Harik fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 10, 2016

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

On Terra Firma posted:

What was that thread title someone floated a while back? The Vindication of Prester Jane by the coward Donald Trump or something?

The Vindictation of Prester Jane by the Narcasist Donald Trump

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I could see him just outright refusing to give a concession speech. Like, he'd just throw something and storm out once the final results came in.

It just completely boggles my mind that he's still not trying to appeal to anyone other than his insane base.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BurntCornMuffin posted:

The difference between Bernie rigged and Bullshit Right Wing rigged is the former was speaking out against supply side economics and captains of industry Totally Not Bribing our politicians with massive campaign donations. The latter is paid agents burning votes in a massive conspiracy because they hate America and want Queen Hillary to impose Sharia Law.

That's a yooge difference in both meaning and plausibility.

I actually looked, and it had been discussed in he previous thread that Bernie was adopting rhetoric of the Bernouts in May and April when it still looked like he might maybe a little bit have a shot to win, but I can't find proof from Google on my phone so I'll consider myself standing corrected, I suppose. I don't regret supporting Bernie, but I do wish he'd ran a campaign that has more to offer minority and women voters, even if he was always going to lose. "The Revolution" Bernie wants to continue shouldn't just be about the problems of white college dudes.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 10, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

On Terra Firma posted:

The Vindication of Prester Jane by the Narcissist Donald Trump.

Which should be the new title, IMO.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
We are at this weird stage in American political rhetoric where all of this feels absolutely ridiculous and also completely inevitable. The Germans probably have a word for it.p

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Crow Jane posted:

I could see him just outright refusing to give a concession speech. Like, he'd just throw something and storm out once the final results came in.

It just completely boggles my mind that he's still not trying to appeal to anyone other than his insane base.

His concession speech will be a tweet that says #whatevs

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

When guns are homosexual, only homosexuals will have guns.
Anyone else hear a long sigh when they read this?

https://twitter.com/SecretService/status/763142627202048000?s=09

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Its gotta be "T-Shirts"

lol I laughed at this and then tweeted it

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yvonmukluk posted:

The Vindication of Prester Jane by the Narcissist Donald Trump.

Which should be the new title, IMO.

Yeah - it's a long post but a solid read: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778459&pagenumber=83&perpage=40#post460844032

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I prefer to read that in the more big brother way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

:stare: they can't spin that. Oh boy he's hosed now.

• Locked thread