Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm the guy who opens New York Times articles in an incognito window to avoid the 10 articles a month paywall.

I tell myself that once I make enough money I'll actually buy a New York Times subscription; but I keep second guessing this each time I look at their editorial pages and ask myself do I really want to support these guys.

Has the paywall gotten more complicated than an adblockable javascript popover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The stuff about The Oregonian is sad as poo poo, because it's a really good source of information. The other major Oregon papers are mainly garbage.

And I make a point to not go to any site that has some kind of limit to times I can visit it without paying for a subscription.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

coyo7e posted:

The stuff about The Oregonian is sad as poo poo, because it's a really good source of information. The other major Oregon papers are mainly garbage.

And I make a point to not go to any site that has some kind of limit to times I can visit it without paying for a subscription.

I still read the Hartford Courant from time to time but since it's become a Tribune paper it's gotten to be poo poo

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Oregonian is still a really good source for news online, their coverage of the Malheur Reserve occupation and followup is probably the best source you can find on all that clusterfuck.. For instance how the Bundys are getting special considerations and treatment while in jail, despite being complete and utter lunatics who write up sovereign citizen defense strategies where they are literally declaring themselves idiots and incompetent to stand trial.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Oh my god, the "gently caress you" guy. I hate him and I hate his kind so much.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

VagueRant posted:

Oh my god, the "gently caress you" guy. I hate him and I hate his kind so much.

The saddest thing is when that kind of mentality is taken to its logical extreme. There are so many clips of Fox News people claiming that because they're the most popular 24 hour news network, they're also the best source of news. As if popularity is a good measurement for the quality of your journalism.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
The app thing was Bezos was reported on 04/01/2016, that, that was an April Fool's prank right?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

PassTheRemote posted:

The app thing was Bezos was reported on 04/01/2016, that, that was an April Fool's prank right?

I pay to remove vowels from everything I read.

Rlly mprvs th xprnc.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I pay to remove vowels from everything I read.

Rlly mprvs th xprnc.

Wht's th lgrthm t dtrmn whthr y is a vwl r nt?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

IRQ posted:

Wht's th lgrthm t dtrmn whthr y is a vwl r nt?

Jesus I can't even keep that up.

Only in the word rhythm.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Jesus I can't even keep that up.

Only in the word rhythm.

And "my".

*edit*

And "cry" and "try".

I guess a simple version would be "y is a vowel if there aren't any other vowels in the word". Although it's also used as a vowel-type sound in a lot of words even when there is another vowel so it's not a perfect system.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 9, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It's a vowel if you use it like an "i" (hey, bay, rhythm) and it's a consonant when you use it like a "j" (York, you, yelp, yolk, youth). It's that easy.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Newspapers are really trapped in-between a rock and a hard place that John didn't get into. The internet has now evolved to a place where people are willing to pay for things, see netflix and itunes but Newspapers have become so lovely no one is willing to pay for them.

Really at some point we are going to end up with just the major papers left and wide areas having nothing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It sounds a lot like the assholes in the piece, but I do think a lot of it is due to the pieces that people were interested in on a day to day basis (and thus would pay for) are now free.

Mainly, it's hard to pay for the hypothetical story. Even with media of as the watchdog, your are asking people to pay to prevent some hypothetical from coming to pass.

People bought newspapers to read the puff pieces and get the community calendar and to look at the want ads and the TV schedule. If they happened to absorb good journalism and fund investigative pieces on the way, that's bonus.

Now all the things that people consciously bought the paper for are on BuzzFeed, your Comcast STB, as well as Facebook and Twitter. They still need the other stuff and probably enjoyed the other stuff, but it's like the vegetable side with your dinner. Only a small subset of the population is going to seek out and pay for just that when they already have the main entrée and dessert.

I don't really see an easy solution. You can't fund journalism with taxes because gently caress government funding free press. But you also can't force adults to eat their vegetables when they don't feel like it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I don't know about The Oregonian, but I have to imagine that bigger papers like the NYT and LAT make their sales money from Sunday subscribers. Sunday editions have a lot of genuinely good, browsable content.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
Maybe they should do the freemium thing where if you want to read their articles you can watch a 30 second ad for clash of clans or something.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

FetusSlapper posted:

Maybe they should do the freemium thing where if you want to read their articles you can watch a 30 second ad for clash of clans or something.

Adblock, no one wants to pay and no one wants to watch ads.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I would rather pay than watch ads but to be absolutely honest I'd really rather just not read the article.

I think the major problem is most people are like me. They don't have a problem with paying in theory, but they're just as happy to not bother with the news at all.

It's weird because it seems like journalism is kind of like what we typically turn into government services - stuff that's important for society but nobody really cares about enough on an individual level to pay for. But government funded journalism would be all kinds of ethically compromised (not like corporate funded journalism isn't, but being tied to the state would be a whole other tier) so that's not really an option even if there was some magic politician that could get it funded without opposition.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 10, 2016

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Only in America could government funded journalism be considered a bad thing.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I would rather pay than watch ads but to be absolutely honest I'd really rather just not read the article.

I think the major problem is most people are like me. They don't have a problem with paying in theory, but they're just as happy to not bother with the news at all.

It's weird because it seems like journalism is kind of like what we typically turn into government services - stuff that's important for society but nobody really cares about enough on an individual level to pay for. But government funded journalism would be all kinds of ethically compromised (not like corporate funded journalism isn't, but being tied to the state would be a whole other tier) so that's not really an option even if there was some magic politician that could get it funded without opposition.

The BBC works fine.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The CBC is cool and good.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
Never Forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfvxtL9wO4w

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Demiurge4 posted:

The BBC works fine.

WilliamAnderson posted:

The CBC is cool and good.

Do the BBC and CBC do the bulk of their own investigation, though, or do they rely on legwork done by independent print organizations? One of the points in his segment is that TV news typically just aggregates/summarizes stories originally broken in print media, hence why the slow death of the medium still affects people that don't actually read newspapers.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I subscribe to the VC Star, the LA times, Mother Jones, and Pacific Standard! But to be honest it's more like a donation where I also get digital news content that I can look at if I want than it is subscribing for the news.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Do the BBC and CBC do the bulk of their own investigation, though, or do they rely on legwork done by independent print organizations? One of the points in his segment is that TV news typically just aggregates/summarizes stories originally broken in print media, hence why the slow death of the medium still affects people that don't actually read newspapers.

The BBC is the world's largest news organization and not just by a bit.

The CBC has taken some serious hits but still does a ton of on the ground stuff.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Australia's government funded broadcaster the ABC does fantastic news and current affairs as well - far superior to any of the commercially-funded organisations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Fair enough. Maybe it's not such a crazy idea after all. Although it still wouldn't necessarily solve the issue of the general public's disinterest in the news, it would at least solve the problem of important stories being buried under so much fluff because commercial news priorities are based on the bottom line rather than the dissemination of important information. Although it also seems like if you could solve the former problem it would solve the latter as well. I guess it's the harder one, though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Government funded news wouldn't have stopped the Iraq War.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's been a push recently against the government funded broadcaster in Australia because it's perceived as being too critical of the current government ("Unbalanced reporting!!!") and it's got unfair advantages against the corporate news outlets so they've been slashing its funding and making moves to privatise it.

But just the other week their current affairs program Four Corners did an episode about the treatment of indigenous youth in prisons that directly lead to a minister resigning and the government calling a royal commission
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jul/26/abuse-of-teenage-prisoners-in-nt-detention-how-four-corners-got-the-story

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's been a push recently against the government funded broadcaster in Australia because it's perceived as being too critical of the current government ("Unbalanced reporting!!!") and it's got unfair advantages against the corporate news outlets so they've been slashing its funding and making moves to privatise it.

But just the other week their current affairs program Four Corners did an episode about the treatment of indigenous youth in prisons that directly lead to a minister resigning and the government calling a royal commission
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jul/26/abuse-of-teenage-prisoners-in-nt-detention-how-four-corners-got-the-story

this is effectively what happened to the CBC a couple years ago, the Harper government realised that they weren't gonna play ball and fellate his government so he cut something in the realm of $300 million in funding. A lot of tv and radio coverage in remote parts of the country (we're talking Bumfuck, Manitoba and similar middle-of-nowhere places) was shut down so that they could at least maintain the strength of their investigative side. Thankfully the new government has said their funding will be restored but, well, that's all talk until the money's in the bank

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Unfortunately, I agree that it wouldn't work in the States, which is a drat shame. Our constitution mandates a free press because our government is basically set up to gently caress with whatever it can sink its grubby paws into. US State reporting would make us look more like China and North Korea than anybody is comfortable with.

Guess why :haw:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

We have PBS and NPR and before, you know, the powers that be realized they were paying for bad press and rebroadcasts of british media, they used to be pretty good news sources. They may still be, but I just remember the 90s where my grandpa didn't want to pay for cable and my parents couldn't afford it so I only knew broadcast TV until basically 1999, PBS used to be pretty good then.

I don't know about PBS at this point, but NPR's horseshit is entirely dominated by what corporate entities cut the big checks during their pledge drives. This isn't NPR's fault so much as the fact that radio is nearly a dead medium and I seriously doubt pledge drives for NPR or PBS pay the bills anymore without big, influencing checks from assholes with an interest in controlling narratives.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 10, 2016

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I am from Europe (so take it with a grain of salt) but the state funded journalists work out pretty well here. Well except when some worse-than-usual government realizes that the state is paying for them being roasted start making waves. :v:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I liked growing up with kids' shows on PBS, and Nova can be pretty good sometimes, but that's about all I can think of that's of value other than operas and British imports.

NPR is good for some things; it really depends on the local affiliate. My local daytime news-talk show host is pretty dang good and a bit of a local establishment, and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, Car Talk, and Radiolab are all great, but the BBC/CBC, they are not.

Unless It's midnight (8AM GMT), in which case it literally is BBC World News.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Propaganda Machine posted:

I liked growing up with kids' shows on PBS, and Nova can be pretty good sometimes, but that's about all I can think of that's of value other than operas and British imports.

NPR is good for some things; it really depends on the local affiliate. My local daytime news-talk show host is pretty dang good and a bit of a local establishment, and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, Car Talk, and Radiolab are all great, but the BBC/CBC, they are not.

Unless It's midnight (8AM GMT), in which case it literally is BBC World News.

KCLU?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
KPCC

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
New Zealand's state-owned tv station is trash, but the radio station is really good (which is why its funding has been frozen for seven years)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

sbaldrick posted:

The BBC is the world's largest news organization and not just by a bit.

The CBC has taken some serious hits but still does a ton of on the ground stuff.

Let's not forget Al Jazeera either, their unfortunate failure to crack the US TV news market notwithstanding they're generally really good.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's so bizarre that the entire news industry is built upon the pillars of newspapers, and nobody ever realized the implications of that while everybody knew about print dying off.

And then news as entertainment is an ever present scourge. Of course facts can't compete with fiction, that's how fox has done so well with their 20 year horror movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
State funded journalism is the best answer.

• Locked thread