Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Samurai Sanders posted:

Concerning this, is there any value for the Clinton campaign to go for a 50 state plan and just crush Trump, or will they just play to win?

Not really. Clinton prefers the slow moving bulldozer approach. She covers her bases and then if they are sufficiently defended, pushes out to the next set of territory. So if AZ, GA, and NC become as likely Hillary pick ups as Florida, she'll move on to the next set. There just isn't enough time for the Hillary juggernaut to reach all 50 states.

But what if in October she's campaigning in Kansas City, Houston, and Charleston?

Popular Thug Drink posted:

by law campaigns get reasonable rates in the lead up to an election

superpacs don't :shobon:

It's also important to remember that a campaign can simply buy up all the adspace if it wants. Once the slots are full, there's nothing that requires the broadcaster to create more ad time. I believe Romney ran into this issue last time when Obama bought up a bunch of ad space at the tail end of the campaign. Romney's team decided to buy some space close to that time, but found that between OFA and SuperPACs all the ad space was filled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I think I see where this is going. They actually will have a soft word or two with him that he will resent and he will continue this story by bringing up the fact that he was confronted by the secret service and and and... :munch:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

:stare: they can't spin that. Oh boy he's hosed now.

You really don't think they can spin a non-statement that literally implies nothing more than "someone watched CNN" from the agency most in the pocket of Barack "Deathpanels" Obama?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Roflan posted:

I think I see where this is going. They actually will have a soft word or two with him that he will resent and he will continue this story by bringing up the fact that he was confronted by the secret service and and and... :munch:

Obama using his evil power to try and infringe on Trump's rights via some guys who are probably Democrats, you should check.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Trabisnikof posted:

You really don't think they can spin a non-statement that literally implies nothing more than "someone watched CNN" from the agency most in the pocket of Barack "Deathpanels" Obama?

I suppose it's more accurate to say, the non-Fox News organizations are not going to be running positive stories about it at this point.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Yvonmukluk posted:

The Vindication of Prester Jane by the Narcissist Donald Trump.

Which should be the new title, IMO.

Would we update it now to The vindication of Prester Jane by the assassin Donald Trump?

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
I'm not sure what I'm more surprised about today. Death threats from a U.S Presidential Candidate vs. the fact your Secret Service has a Twitter account.

Probably the Twitter account.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If Clinton started campaigning in, say, Oklahoma, that would obviously be over-extending. But it makes sense for her to move into pinkish states like Georgia and Arizona as they start entering play.

Remember, Trump doesn't even have a coherent ground game in Florida, his mega-must-win state. If he has to spread himself thinner, into states he was supposed to have locked down, all his paths to victory start closing up.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
He insulted "second amendment folks"

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Roflan posted:

You're right, I think the real purpose of the statement is "stop loving messaging us about this, we already heard about it from about a billion people who were faster on the trigger than you"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

If Clinton started campaigning in, say, Oklahoma, that would obviously be over-extending. But it makes sense for her to move into pinkish states like Georgia and Arizona as they start entering play.

Remember, Trump doesn't even have a coherent ground game in Florida, his mega-must-win state. If he has to spread himself thinner, into states he was supposed to have locked down, all his paths to victory start closing up.

Yeah it forces the RNC to actually have to decide whether to expend resources in what should be hard red states or risk piling on to a humiliating landslide.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Can we just re-roll this election and do it in November, 2017? Normally this would be uncalled for, but i think we can make an exception.

(Hopefully this time with more democratic candidates than could fit into a ford festiva. Lincoln Chafee? Seriously?)

((This joke stolen from Rachel Maddow))

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

What the heck were the Dems thinking during the early 2000's? I mean why was someone who isn't that far left of the tea party being considered as a serious potential presidential candidate?

You can see why the prevalence of the "both parties are the same, everyone sucks, truth in the middle" stuff comes from remembering 92-2000.

During Bill's presidential years he was supposed to be doing the 'middle way' and a lot of his non-social policies were pretty close to the Republican view. The futility of this was shown because Republicans still threw a hissy fit as if he was the reincarnation of Lenin.

In the 2000 election where Gore who was never much of a lefty anyway (remember his wife was a big part of the war against rap music) pushed himself further to the right and selected Lieberman who was basically a far right Republican to appeal to even more centrists. Comparing Gore to W's 'compassionate conservatism' it is easy to see how people on the left became so disheartened as at that time there seemed little difference.

Whenever people blame Nader for causing a close election they miss how Gore did everything he could to gently caress it up too.

edit: you could probably expand it 92-2004 as Kerry didn't really differentiate his politics well either. Plus he was terrible. How the gently caress does a medal winning veteran allow himself to be portrayed as a coward and muddled on military issues by a bunch of draft dodgers

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 10, 2016

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

zoux posted:

Yeah it forces the RNC to actually have to decide whether to expend resources in what should be hard red states or risk piling on to a humiliating landslide.

I honestly think at this point the RNC should consider conceding the presidential race and attempt to focus on maintaining control of Congress. Republicans en-masse are bailing on Trump and the party's base is shattering apart at the foundations.

The only hope now for Republicans would be that Trump's name doesn't poison the party well, which, uh... well, good luck with that, Republicans.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Filthy Hans posted:

You're right, I think the real purpose of the statement is "stop loving messaging us about this, we already heard about it from about a billion people who were faster on the trigger than you"

I wonder how often the Secret Service has it's first report of a verbal call for the assassination of a presidential candidate come directly over their radio.

I wonder if the detail did rock paper scissors/lots to pick who had to call in to Clinton's detail.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Can we just re-roll this election and do it in November, 2017? Normally this would be uncalled for, but i think we can make an exception.

(Hopefully this time with more democratic candidates than could fit into a ford festiva. Lincoln Chafee? Seriously?)

((This joke stolen from Rachel Maddow))
The Weird White Supremacist Rachel Maddow Fan

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

Don't political campaigns get preferential rates? They're probably pretty happy that they get to use the ad space on more lucrative contracts.

What was said below about superPAC spending, also it's not like TV and radio stations are growing their audiences these days. Obama and Romney combined to spend a billion dollars in media spending with superPAC spending included. If one side is going to get out spent 10:1, that's $400 million in ad sales if spending holds even from 2012, when total money spent on federal elections was about $3.8 billion. Last year it was estimated about $4.4b would be spent in 2016 combined, and I'm really interested in seeing what the final tally is and how much money was redirected to down ticket races (which presumably cost less since they're smaller markets, so that could drive down total spending as well).

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Kansas. Mother. loving. Kansas. Is this even real life? :psyduck:
Is this my reward for enduring the W years and following economic disaster?(Please don't start a Derail about W's effect on the economy, ffs.)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/sopandeb/status/763148505812705280

:munch:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Look man, he's totally a liberal, he's just being realistic about race!

A race realist if you will.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Yeah, that's the Popehat alternate account.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bluemillion posted:

Is this my reward for enduring the W years and following economic disaster?(Please don't start a Derail about W's effect on the economy, ffs.)

A solid year of Donald Trump is not a reward for anyone.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Don't kinkshame.

Here's a great list of some media responses. Radley Balko with the hot take: https://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/763093166664847360

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FuzzySlippers posted:

In the 2000 election where Gore who was never much of a lefty anyway (remember his wife was a big part of the war against rap music)

paternalistic nannying is absolutely a part of leftism

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Bluemillion posted:

Pretty much have to go volunteer now if that poll is right

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

ImpAtom posted:

A solid year of Donald Trump is not a reward for anyone.

If half of that is watching him self-immolate, it sure as hell is. Clarification, I am speaking exclusively about Donald Trump setting HIMSELF on fire in a voluntary act. Which he appears to be doing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

She didn't come into the US illegally, she worked here illegally.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Chuck Lorre is running out of ideas I guess

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
cross post from the downballot thread:

axeil posted:

caveat that it's an internal leak, but Evan Bayh is up 26 points in IN-SEN.

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/763104351997001729

:stare:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I really wonder what Reagan's elections would've been like with the internet and social media.

You know, aside from the whole "Reagan actively committed treason to help him beat Carter" thing.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Just loving :lol:

The secret service is aware of comments made by the loving Republican Presidential Candidate.

What a world.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lol at putting off the presser for a lengthy yet not specified amount of time, maybe the idea is to make her look good in the face of a bullshit accusation (she came here illegally) in order to sidestep the real issue (did she work while on a travel visa)

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Anybody get the feeling that they've somehow managed to wake up in a lazily written parody of politics?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FuzzySlippers posted:

Whenever people blame Nader for causing a close election they miss how Gore did everything he could to gently caress it up too.

You can't just place all of the blame on any one thing, obviously, but it's not like anyone has a time machine and can just go tell Gore to run a better campaign. But they can possibly convince left-leaning 3rd party voters to not passively let a Republican roll into office, and there's nothing wrong with trying to do that.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Filthy Hans posted:

lol at putting off the presser for a lengthy yet not specified amount of time, maybe the idea is to make her look good in the face of a bullshit accusation (she came here illegally) in order to sidestep the real issue (did she work while on a travel visa)

remember this, exactly this, when you lol about trump forbidding self-opposition research

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
My favorite part about someone telling the Secret Service that Trump threatened Clinton is that the secret service would have already been there listening to the speech in the first place

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

axeil posted:

cross post from the downballot thread:

The purplest of the blue dogs rises again!

I guess the whole Carrier mess has really hosed Todd Young over, which is good, but I find it hilarious that Bayh's TV spots tout him as the fiscal conservative choice (with no party affiliation to be seen)

edit: :laffo: Indiana will go Trump and have two D senators. Life is strange.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My favorite part about someone telling the Secret Service that Trump threatened Clinton is that the secret service would have already been there listening to the speech in the first place

further evidence of the police state that we live in :argh:

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
So, the Trump campaign released a statement:

some PR hack with an ulcer posted:

TRUMP CAMPAIGN STATEMENT ON DISHONEST MEDIA

“It’s called the power of unification – 2nd Amendment people have amazing spirit and are tremendously unified, which gives them great political power. And this year, they will be voting in record numbers, and it won’t be for Hillary Clinton, it will be for Donald Trump.” - Jason Miller, Senior Communications Advisor

Is it just me, or is it notable that nowhere it that statement do they actually say "No, he was not calling for violence against his opponent"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Sooo... whether or not he meant it as a call to violence (he absolutely did), what are the odds that one or more of his rabid followers will take it that way? He hasn't exactly tried to discourage them to my knowledge

• Locked thread