Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Koalas March posted:

wait let me guess his dr who opinions:

Martha Jones was the worst companion

Martha jones is awesome, but the worst of the 10 companions, only because the others were better (Especially the best ever companion: Donna)

Koalas March posted:

Capt Jack was too gay/why are they shoving this down people's throats??
Captain jack was awesome and his gayness made him better.

Koalas March posted:

The Doctor can't be black and/or a woman
Yea ok. (Especially the latter, there literally arent any other white male role models with a "Only solve problems with nonviolence" philosophy.)

Koalas March posted:

Moffat is a good showrunner/writer
I'm on board the moffat train, Cho Choooooooo (I stopped watching after the smoking hot redhead left, i cant speak for the new seasons)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulbo
Nov 4, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

We are at this weird stage in American political rhetoric where all of this feels absolutely ridiculous and also completely inevitable. The Germans probably have a word for it.p

"Dreißiger Jahren".

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

borkencode posted:

So I know we're expecting Trump to drop a C-bomb during the debates, but what if he takes a swing at her?

Hillary might kick his rear end. If not, the secret service most certainly will. Probably ends Trump's campaign then and there - his base will love it, but we know they can't win the election on their own and he's absolutely not saving face with anyone else if he raises his hand to Hillary.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

borkencode posted:

So I know we're expecting Trump to drop a C-bomb during the debates, but what if he takes a swing at her?

Shhh! We're trying to keep expectations low with the C word. At this point, that's the least he'll do.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Nixon def

Publicly? Not sure.

maybe Andy Jackson, though he'd have been willing to do it himself

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

borkencode posted:

If Hillary punches him back are the secret service obligated to shoot each other?

FuturePastNow posted:

maybe Andy Jackson, though he'd have been willing to do it himself

pretty sure he actually murdered a dude as prez

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Hey! Crazy people were allowed to "murder" each other if they both agreed to it beforehand in those days.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Aw, Maddow has off tonight. I was looking forward to her comments on Trump today.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Roflan posted:

Shhh! We're trying to keep expectations low with the C word. At this point, that's the least he'll do.

oval office feels mild. I think he'll melt down and call her unrapable or something along those lines

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Spiritus Nox posted:

Hillary might kick his rear end. If not, the secret service most certainly will. Probably ends Trump's campaign then and there - his base will love it, but we know they can't win the election on their own and he's absolutely not saving face with anyone else if he raises his hand to Hillary.
Trump might be a great fighter; his tiny hands could be hard to track visually and able get right between the smallest gaps in his opponent's defense.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
James Bucannan had JFK murdered because he didn't want to invade the Ivory Coast.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
I was having a pretty bad week so far but hearing Trump call for Hillary's death and then trying to walk it back kind of cheered me up, and it ain't even Wednesday yet.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

I was having a pretty bad week so far but hearing Trump call for Hillary's death and then trying to walk it back kind of cheered me up, and it ain't even Wednesday yet.
Wait he has tried to walk it back? Or just his damage control people who have the most thankless job in human history?

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wait he has tried to walk it back? Or just his damage control people who have the most thankless job in human history?

he responded to it in a hannity interview. same excuse

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Crow Jane posted:

How can anyone listen to or read the way he speaks and not think it sounds like the rantings of an insane person :psyduck:? Why do people want this person to be President?

Imagine if Donald had run as a Democrat with basically the same platform and now the election was between the Donald and Jeb Bush. That's kind of what it's like to be a Republican right now. For many he's just better than the alternative, even with all the crazy.

Remember, Trump often says things that are profoundly true but are rarely discussed directly in politics (yes, I know most of it is broken clock theory at work). He's absolutely correct when he says Hillary and other politicians are for sale and he's absolutely right when he says that globalization is destroying people's lives. Yet if Trump looses then who would fill his shoes on these issues? Hillary? I seriously doubt it. In fact from a certain point of view Trump is the last chance we could have at deep systemic reform for decades. Compared to that what's a racist comment or two? Particularly to your average conservative that was never too great on the race front anyways.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Any Republican politician who doesn't rescind their endorsement of Trump at this point, Paul Ryan in particular, are so morally and intellectually bankrupt that their words mean nothing.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Wait I'm reading all these releases and statements.

... Has Donald Trump come out and explicitly said he doesn't want anyone to assassinate Clinton yet? Because so far he's just clarifying who he means by the second ammendment folk and that's it.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

The 2nd amendment people are a powerful political force, duh. They'll stop Hillary from appointing judges, which is only something Presidents can do after being elected (but not in their last year, unless they're Republican)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

readingatwork posted:

Remember, Trump often says things that are profoundly true but are rarely discussed directly in politics (yes, I know most of it is broken clock theory at work). He's absolutely correct when he says Hillary and other politicians are for sale and he's absolutely right when he says that globalization is destroying people's lives. Yet if Trump looses then who would fill his shoes on these issues? Hillary? I seriously doubt it. In fact from a certain point of view Trump is the last chance we could have at deep systemic reform for decades. Compared to that what's a racist comment or two? Particularly to your average conservative that was never too great on the race front anyways.

holy poo poo this is a broken and wrong statement

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

readingatwork posted:

Imagine if Donald had run as a Democrat with basically the same platform and now the election was between the Donald and Jeb Bush. That's kind of what it's like to be a Republican right now. For many he's just better than the alternative, even with all the crazy.

"This other stuff is good, so I can forgive the racism" is a really easy thing to say when you aren't the target of that racism.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Any Republican politician who doesn't rescind their endorsement of Trump at this point, Paul Ryan in particular, are so morally and intellectually bankrupt that their words mean nothing.

It's actually kind of amazing to me, the lengths people will go to put party above country. Two of the authors of the NatSec letter to the NYTimes were interviewed earlier by the BBC, and they said that Donald Trump doesn't represent the GOP. Naturally, they flailed when they were asked how that could be when he is now the official GOP nominee and the base voted him in. Just stunning.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol in case you needed another reason to hate him, Joe Lieberman is considering endorsing Trump.
I didn't, but every little bit helps.

Any Republican politician who doesn't rescind their endorsement of Trump at this point, and Paul Ryan in particular, are so morally and intellectually bankrupt that their words mean nothing.
You say that like if they rescind now, that they wouldn't be morally intellectually bankrupt, or that there would be some perceptible difference in the degree of their bankruptcy. Neither is the case.

There is no point to Republicans unendorsing Trump at this point - they are in too deep. If he had run an ordinary campaign up to the point where he called for his opponent's murder, then you'd have a point. However he's already poo poo the bed on countless occasions and gave his supporters in the House and Senate every reason to rescind their endorsement, and virtually none of them took it. Frankly I'm not sure "okay well now that he's called for the murder of his opponent, I do not endorse Donald Trump" has any better optics than just hiding in a bunker for the next month.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

readingatwork posted:

If this was Trump the democrat vs Jeb Bush I would have no problem voting for Bush. Trump is a legitimately insane person, not a little crazy or weird. He's unstable, can't control himself, and you're loving kidding yourself if you think he is a) right about a single thing and b) capable of working and collaborating with others in a responsible way.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

nachos posted:

If this was Trump the democrat vs Jeb Bush I would have no problem voting for Bush. Trump is a legitimately insane person, not a little crazy or weird. He's unstable, can't control himself, and you're loving kidding yourself if you think he is a) right about a single thing and b) capable of working and collaborating with others in a responsible way.

What if it was Trump vs. Zodiac Killer?

That would be a moral conundrum indeed.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Donald Trump speeches are like Stephen Moffat Who episodes: loving incomprehensible decision-making combined with turns that nobody saw coming, or necessarily wanted to see.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kilroy posted:

I didn't, but every little bit helps.

You say that like if they rescind now, that they wouldn't be morally intellectually bankrupt, or that there would be some perceptible difference in the degree of their bankruptcy. Neither is the case.

There is no point to Republicans unendorsing Trump at this point - they are in too deep. If he had run an ordinary campaign up to the point where he called for his opponent's murder, then you'd have a point. However he's already poo poo the bed on countless occasions and gave his supporters in the House and Senate every reason to rescind their endorsement, and virtually none of them took it. Frankly I'm not sure "okay well now that he's called for the murder of his opponent, I do not endorse Donald Trump" has any better optics than just hiding in a bunker for the next month.

You could probably still write a speech rescinding Trump and retain some dignity by also scheduling it as a mea culpa of sorts. I don't think there's a "leader" in the GOP with the stones at this point.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I just don't see Trump using the C-word. He's more the type to call her Hitlery or Shillery or something similar to her face.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

readingatwork posted:

donald trump, the man who has his substandard licensed goods manufactured cheaply overseas and will sell his endorsement to any for-profit online 'university' or pump and dump real estate scam, is one of the very last people who can challenge hillary on globalization or money in politics

like if you think hillary is easy to buy, i have two words: trump steaks

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

FuturePastNow posted:

I just don't see Trump using the C-word. He's more the type to call her Hitlery or Shillery or something similar to her face.

I said the same thing a few weeks back.

I take it back. Nothings beyond Trump's reach. Except the white house that's well beyond. Light years.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

radical meme posted:

What if it was Trump vs. Zodiac Killer?

That would be a moral conundrum indeed.

I believe I would vote for a third party candidate.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Popular Thug Drink posted:

donald trump, the man who has his substandard licensed goods manufactured cheaply overseas and will sell his endorsement to any for-profit online 'university' or pump and dump real estate scam, is one of the very last people who can challenge hillary on globalization or money in politics

His economic plan also prioritizes estate tax cuts

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

You could probably still write a speech rescinding Trump and retain some dignity by also scheduling it as a mea culpa of sorts. I don't think there's a "leader" in the GOP with the stones at this point.

The only kind of thing like that I would accept and think they were an ok would be "At first I thought he was just a temporary aberration but now I came to realize that he is the true face of the GOP and I'm out".

But nooooo, so far all the letters and stuff have been "My party is a force for good in the world and Donald is wrecking it for no reason!"

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Prester Jane posted:

I remain in the midst of a cross country move and am thus unable to give a detailed analysis on Donald Trump. In lieu of that I will just quote myself from two months ago as I feel that events have developed quite in line with my projections.

I really, really wish you weren't getting so much right about this election.

nachos posted:

Short of Emporor Palpatine, I can't see how anyone can see Trump as a "lesser evil." This has nothing to do with politics anymore: Trump is a racist, narcissistic blowhard who is in no way qualified to be in power. If he were a Democrat, we'd be jumping ship as fast as the relatively few sane Republicans are right now solely because this man getting so high up illustrates massive problems with any movement.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Donald Trump will bring deep systemic reform because the election of Trump will literally destroy the country

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

readingatwork posted:

This is an amazing line of thought. No, given the somehow-worse-than-ours timeline you've described I would vote for Jeb Bush so hard it would make his guacamole bowl spin. A Trump victory or even a close defeat will embolden white supremacists even more than his successful primary campaign has emboldened them and that's no small amount. Plus there's the whole thing of having a literal crazy man in charge of a nuclear superpower's entire arsenal.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Also, the whole "if Trump were running for the democrats" is dumb because a white-supremacist nationalist oligarch wouldn't be running for the Democrats in the first place.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

The only kind of thing like that I would accept and think they were an ok would be "At first I thought he was just a temporary aberration but now I came to realize that he is the true face of the GOP and I'm out".

But nooooo, so far all the letters and stuff have been "My party is a force for good in the world and Donald is wrecking it for no reason!"
Ah, yeah that would do it. "I rescind my endorsement of Donald Trump, and furthermore as he is the center of gravity of the Republican Party, morally and intellectually, I quit the Republican Party" would go a long way. Of course no one will do this.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also, the whole "if Trump were running for the democrats" is dumb because a white-supremacist nationalist oligarch wouldn't be running for the Democrats in the first place.

But they're the real racists????

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Admitting that you don't think Trump was making a sly allusion to violent armed resistance is basically admitting you don't get the joke. It's the only interpretation where it actually functions as a joke, and he said it like it was a joke, and people behind him in the audience can be seen laughing like he told a joke. It's stuff that far-right Republicans believe but usually know they aren't allowed to say on camera, so now the mainstream press is forced to act shocked that GOP 2nd amendment worship comes with a side of delusions of armed rebellion.

Republicans when polled overwhelmingly see the 2nd amendment as a protection against tyranny. All he's doing is drawing it to the logical conclusion. You'd have be dumb as hell not to get it.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My favorite part about someone telling the Secret Service that Trump threatened Clinton is that the secret service would have already been there listening to the speech in the first place

I'm thinking of some of the interesting earpiece chatter that must have happened.

"Why are you all looking at Trump!? Don't watch the candidate. Look out at where the threats are coming..from..."

• Locked thread