Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I was just talking to someone who found an old dining-room table wrapped in plastic buried on their property. Underneath it were several tractor tires stacked one on top of the other. Cheap and stupid way to cap a retired septic tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

AlbieQuirky posted:

I was just talking to someone who found an old dining-room table wrapped in plastic buried on their property. Underneath it were several tractor tires stacked one on top of the other. Cheap and stupid way to cap a retired septic tank.

That's just the most stupid thing. People drown in old septic tanks occasionally because of retarded ideas like that. Bad mine capping sucks too..

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

That's just the most stupid thing. People drown in old septic tanks occasionally because of retarded ideas like that. Bad mine capping sucks too..

On the other hand, free dining table!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

On the other hand, free dining table!

Well, if your cooking is poo poo.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Lime Tonics posted:

This has been one of my fears. I have seen sinkholes form when I lived in florida, but what happens if your house is on one? Oh, and you don't know there is a mine shaft that goes "about 60 meters (196 ft) deep, but now they're expecting it to be 100 meters (328 ft) deep. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx9L3qo-6eQ

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-02/ipswich-sinkhole-swallows-backyard-west-of-brisbane/7682332
I suddenly feel much safer knowing that the foundation of my house sits a couple of feet above bedrock. Radon is a problem in my neighborhood, but at least we don't have gigantic holes opening up like that.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I like that kind of stuff.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Have a collection of videos of the Tohoku tsunami in 2011. It's 36 minutes long and my jaw was dropped the entire time.
There are plenty of recordings where large (very large!) waves are visible. But there are just as many where the ocean looks dead-calm and then the sea level just rises until it's 30-128(!) ft above the previous level.
Everything floats. After a couple hundred yards inland, the waters are solid with debris. The recorded sounds are pretty terrifying as well.

Obviously :nms:

:nms:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2ZOmMH4WHA:nms:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

TotalLossBrain posted:

Have a collection of videos of the Tohoku tsunami in 2011. It's 36 minutes long and my jaw was dropped the entire time.
There are plenty of recordings where large (very large!) waves are visible. But there are just as many where the ocean looks dead-calm and then the sea level just rises until it's 30-128(!) ft above the previous level.
Everything floats. After a couple hundred yards inland, the waters are solid with debris. The recorded sounds are pretty terrifying as well.

6:08 That poor soul running from the waves....

Oh no 10:55 there's someone running on that building, and it gets completely destroyed when the second wave hits.

:cry: jesus christ the old folks at 22:00 :cry:

God there's so many random people just stuck; you can barely see them. What horror.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 10:46 on Aug 9, 2016

Infyrno
Jul 24, 2003

The Duke
"About 75% of the Earth is covered in water" has a whole entirely new meaning after seeing that. We say that and teach it in school from such a young age that you sorta think it's a special dividing up of the planet. These places here the continents are where land is and these other ones there the oceans are where the water is, nice and separated.

gently caress no. Not a goddamn thing people had put on the "ground" in those videos mattered. Houses, cars, cranes, giant concrete things. Within a few minutes all of that was part of the ocean. It had me realizing that although that was an awful thing for people involved and Japan was able to clean/rebuild after it was over, when the Earth was younger things could happen on the scale where the water suddenly comes and there's no more Japan, period. It just kinda blew my mind for a while, the fact that the shapes on the planet that we know as permanent are anything but, and only "shapes" at all because the water already took over the other parts that were not high enough.

I don't think anything the waves hit lasted any longer than anything else. Sheds crushed/torn the same as big buildings, whether a car or a giant boat, it's going where the water is, usually straight through solid things. Anytime the water got to a "barrier" whether it was made for stopping the ocean or just the way the next highest area of a town was beyond a long building or whatever, it just fills up the entire width of whatever it is and all at once comes over, under, through it. Those scenes were the ones that got to me. People near the camera always reacted to that happening too, there'd be yelling then it comes to something that you can tell they are all just sure is that last thing it is going to reach yet it keeps coming. First 18:44-19:20 then at 23:30 on through 25:00 it shows it back to back, also notice the Air Raid siren sounding like it too is failing because it's being submerged or something starting in the scene at 25:00.

Thanks for posting that, where ever you found it, very well done syncing and information additions. Going to be enjoying not being near the coast all day today.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

The more it hits the worse it gets; I watched a documentary on them once that talked about how everything that the wave picks up will keep going with the wave further inland, which sounds like a duh statement until you realize that all of that extra material has basically made the tsunami into a rushing wall of concrete.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Seeing flaming buildings floating down what used to be a city street would be terrifying. Really fits the unnerving title.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Wasabi the J posted:

6:08 That poor soul running from the waves....

Oh no 10:55 there's someone running on that building, and it gets completely destroyed when the second wave hits.

:cry: jesus christ the old folks at 22:00 :cry:

God there's so many random people just stuck; you can barely see them. What horror.
A surprising number of the people in those videos survived, though likely not the ones you pointed out, sadly (I know the two people who were cut off at 22:00 died, I remember that footage originally being published with the consent of their families). Here's a couple of people who were literally swept away but ultimately survived:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRJdPkdb4v4

I was living a few hundred miles south of the tsunami zone when that happened, got to watch some of that footage live. At one point they started forecasting a 10m wave was coming our way, although that was much higher than the estimate for the areas around us. Our apartment was maybe 50m from the coast and my wife had a viral infection, was running a high fever, and couldn't get out bed, so we didn't have much choice except to wait and hope the forecast was an error (it was, the wave didn't even make it over the seawall). Fun times!

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

If anyone wants to read a disturbing book that will haunt them forever on the subject of tsunamis, I highly recommend Wave by Sonali Deraniyagala. It's about the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. The author was staying at a hotel on the beach in Sri Lanka with her husband, parents, two sons, and best friend and they all died except for her. It'll really make you want to kill yourself.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

TotalLossBrain posted:

If nothing else, just watch the segment of footage that starts at 14:40 and goes for a couple of minutes. It really gives a sense of scale

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
:catstare: holy poo poo. gently caress water.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Solice Kirsk posted:

Seeing flaming buildings floating down what used to be a city street would be terrifying. Really fits the unnerving title.

I was getting ready to go to Afghanistan when the news broke. Being young and bombastic twenty something's we cracked wise about Godzilla and Pearl Harbor right up to the instant we saw that image linger on the news, and the joking stopped as we realized the scale of what we just witnessed.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

This is why if you live by the coast you learn to respect the ocean. It gives but it sure as gently caress can take away. Also this is why global warming is a big deal. Whenever someone says the ocean is rising, don't think of a tide lapping up a couple inches further on a nice beach somewhere, think of more of this poo poo.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That just means more ocean front property! Kick back and relax on the beautiful beaches of Atlanta.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

ranbo das posted:

This is why if you live by the coast you learn to respect the ocean. It gives but it sure as gently caress can take away. Also this is why global warming is a big deal. Whenever someone says the ocean is rising, don't think of a tide lapping up a couple inches further on a nice beach somewhere, think of more of this poo poo.
I remember doing tsunami drills as a kid pretty regularly actually, when I was growing up in Alaska. Memories of the 1964 Good Friday quake are still very alive there.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

At 28 minutes there's people loitering right next to the loving river bank. What the christ guys? And two minutes later the entire area is swamped with water and debris. Nope, gently caress it. I live on the coast and will be checking where to evacuate to when tsunamis come to my town.

I must say, a lot of those buildings are/were pretty well built if they stayed intact while being shoved around by the water. I typed this before the video say fires burned down a lot of them, woops.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Video of the 2004 "big one" here (warning, graphic content): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjtKRRPhWPA

The scale of this thing is absolutely unbelievable. The waves just keep coming and coming, and you can tell people think the water is going to recede, and then more of it pours in.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Somewhat but not entirely related is the megatsunami;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uCZjqoRLjc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN6EgMMrhdI

The caption of the picture on wiki for the Vajont Dam is also lovely;

quote:

The Vajont Dam as seen from the village of Longarone in 2005, showing approximately the top 60–70 metres of concrete. The wall of water that overtopped the dam by 250 metres (820 ft)[1] and destroyed this village and all nearby villages on 9 October 1963 would have obscured virtually all of the blue sky in this photo.[2]

LostCosmonaut has a new favorite as of 00:44 on Aug 10, 2016

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Wedemeyer posted:

At 28 minutes there's people loitering right next to the loving river bank. What the christ guys? And two minutes later the entire area is swamped with water and debris. Nope, gently caress it. I live on the coast and will be checking where to evacuate to when tsunamis come to my town.

I must say, a lot of those buildings are/were pretty well built if they stayed intact while being shoved around by the water. I typed this before the video say fires burned down a lot of them, woops.

I feel like I heard about something related to this, a Tsunamis somewhere that had tourists going to the beach to watch all the water drain away just before the wave whilst all the locals that recognised what was coming started running. It might be an urban legend though.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
water is a scary thing (i think this was originally linked in here)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLzgzvVxUV4

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

ro5s posted:

I feel like I heard about something related to this, a Tsunamis somewhere that had tourists going to the beach to watch all the water drain away just before the wave whilst all the locals that recognised what was coming started running. It might be an urban legend though.

Something kind of similar happened during the Boxing Day Tsunami. The ocean receded by around 2.5kms in some areas if I recall correctly, and people rushed in to pick up the fish that were just lying there, and then the water came back...

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Related:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilly_Smith

quote:

Tilly Smith (born 1994) is an English woman who, aged 10, was credited with saving nearly a hundred foreign tourists at Maikhao Beach in Thailand by warning beachgoers minutes before the arrival of the tsunami caused by the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake.

quote:

Smith learned about tsunamis in a geography lesson two weeks before the tsunami from her teacher Andrew Kearney at Danes Hill School in Oxshott, Surrey. She recognised the warning signs of receding water from the shoreline and frothing bubbles on the surface of the sea and alerted her parents, who warned others on the beach and the staff at the hotel Phuket where they were staying. The beach was evacuated before the tsunami reached shore, and was one of the few beaches on the island with no reported casualties.

She got an asteroid named after her for her trouble

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Earlier this year i got curious about how the recovery from the Tohoku quake was going five years after and found a pretty good article in the Japan Times.

http://features.japantimes.co.jp/march-11-recovery/

Things aren't all that great still.

quote:

Even those who were fortunate enough to fully renovate or build a new house in their hometowns are facing disappearing communities as the catastrophe led many survivors to move away.

Like many remote towns and villages across Japan, those coastal communities were already experiencing graying, shrinking populations even before 3/11. The catastrophe only moved the clock forward.

A census conducted last October showed the population had shrunk 3.8 percent in Iwate, 0.6 percent in Miyagi and 5.7 percent in Fukushima over the past five years.

The decline was much higher in tsunami-ravaged coastal areas. Ishinomaki, one of the hardest-hit cities in Miyagi, saw its population shrink by 8.45 percent to 147,236, from 160,826 in 2010.

When examined further, declines were far more acute in coastal parts of the city, such as a 74.5 percent drop in the Ogatsu district and a 43.3 percent fall on the Oshika Peninsula.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

ro5s posted:

I've seen tourist videos from the Boxing Day tsunami where this is very apparent. Some Germans marveling at the receding seas, wondering what is going on and how weird it is. They notice the native Thais sprinting from the beach, however.
Then one of them sees the huge first wave breaking about 2-4 miles offshore and wonders just what the hell it is. He sees a loving trawler get destroyed and his wife (?) asks him if it could be related to the earthquake at all.
Him: No, don't worry.

I am pretty sure they lived.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's really cool. The naming the asteroid after her, not the tsunami.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

TotalLossBrain posted:

I've seen tourist videos from the Boxing Day tsunami where this is very apparent. Some Germans marveling at the receding seas, wondering what is going on and how weird it is. They notice the native Thais sprinting from the beach, however.
Then one of them sees the huge first wave breaking about 2-4 miles offshore and wonders just what the hell it is. He sees a loving trawler get destroyed and his wife (?) asks him if it could be related to the earthquake at all.

That video's featured somewhere in this documentary made around the 5 year anniversary of the tsunami (fair warning, it's pretty much an hour of people talking about how people they loved died horribly in front of them, and also has a lot of footage of people being swept away):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhjhTOkWeX0

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

pookel posted:

Video of the 2004 "big one" here (warning, graphic content): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjtKRRPhWPA

The scale of this thing is absolutely unbelievable. The waves just keep coming and coming, and you can tell people think the water is going to recede, and then more of it pours in.
230,000 people confirmed dead, 125,000 injured, and 45,000 missing. In reality, that means nearly 275,000 dead, but this was so big that 45,000 people were swept out to sea and most of them will never be found.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

GWBBQ posted:

230,000 people confirmed dead, 125,000 injured, and 45,000 missing. In reality, that means nearly 275,000 dead, but this was so big that 45,000 people were swept out to sea and most of them will never be found.
Hey, let's be fair. Some of them will be found.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

TotalLossBrain posted:

Yeah, they're in the video pookel posted, about half way through.
They're standing on the beach looking at the drained beach and the huge wave in the distance. The guy is just standing on the beach filming saying how strange it is. The video also has some Thai's (hotel employees?) filming, and them yelling "run", "tsunami". As soon as the tourist heard that and also saw the trawler get capsized (some military boat he said), he started running with his family. E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjtKRRPhWPA&t=1676s

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 07:10 on Aug 10, 2016

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

This is pretty eerie. Tohoku tsunami arrives in Emeryville, California, right across the bay from San Francisco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdMDCLwblkY

Motherfucker traveled a ways.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

spite house posted:

This is pretty eerie. Tohoku tsunami arrives in Emeryville, California, right across the bay from San Francisco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdMDCLwblkY

Motherfucker traveled a ways.

That's the slowest wave I've ever seen.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

LostCosmonaut posted:

The caption of the picture on wiki for the Vajont Dam is also lovely;

This was what I thought of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hf_XkgE1d0&t=90s

(I happened to watch this in the theater without seeing the preview, so this totally stunned me. Can't imagine how much more so if it were real ...)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

pookel posted:

This was what I thought of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hf_XkgE1d0&t=90s

(I happened to watch this in the theater without seeing the preview, so this totally stunned me. Can't imagine how much more so if it were real ...)

The music in that scene is amazing too. I've seen the movie 3 or 4 times and I always look forward to that scene.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Basebf555 posted:

The music in that scene is amazing too. I've seen the movie 3 or 4 times and I always look forward to that scene.
Tbh, I didn't notice the music because I was so busy staring at the giant motherfucking wave of death.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, they're in the video pookel posted, about half way through.
They're standing on the beach looking at the drained beach and the huge wave in the distance. The guy is just standing on the beach filming saying how strange it is. The video also has some Thai's (hotel employees?) filming, and them yelling "run", "tsunami". As soon as the tourist heard that and also saw the trawler get capsized (some military boat he said), he started running with his family. E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjtKRRPhWPA&t=1676s
What I find haunting is that one dude the Thais were shouting at to run who just calmly stood there and took the tsunami head on. Not that he wouldve made it if he'd run, but still...Those last moments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe he came out ok. You'd think the very beginning of a tsunami is where you'd wanna be if you got caught up in it.