Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Silegna posted:

Alolan Exeggutor is actually canon. Earlier pokedex entries say when exposed to tropical sun, it's heads would grow.
Right, I do remember that little bit. Then again, I think I used Exeggutor like...once or twice in Blue and never really used it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Wait, holy poo poo, is that long Exeggutor an actual thing that's happening in game?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, holy poo poo, is that long Exeggutor an actual thing that's happening in game?

Yeah. Sun and Moon have "Aloha" forms which take existing mons and give them drastically different types and movesets - some of the ones mentioned thus far are an Ice/Steel Sandshrew and an Ice/Fairy Ninetales.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

It's even better in-game because most of the time the top half isn't on screen.
It also has a new head on the back of its new tail

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Exeggutor is fun to use, and now he'll be even fun to look at.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Yes, and it is 35 feet tall.

Note that every Exeggcute caught in Alola will evolve into Alola Exxecutor.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I gave most pokemon a shot, at least in the first couple generations, but one I never touched was Exeggcute and it's evolution because holy poo poo those weaknesses.

Exeggutor was apparently a staple in competitive Gen 1 play.

Then again that would involve playing Gen 1 competitively and who would do that.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I'll always have a soft spot for Johto Team Rocket because the Rocket Tower Takeover music is awesome as balls. :colbert:

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Serperoth posted:

Exeggutor was apparently a staple in competitive Gen 1 play.

Then again that would involve playing Gen 1 competitively and who would do that.

It wasn't completely sight unseen in Gen 2 as well, mostly because the move distribution of most of it's weaknesses was still really bad, even if it's Special Defense dropped off a cliff. Sure, Skarmory taking off meant a lot of weird things started running Fire Blast, but it was still solid as a defensive pivot or bulky clean-up sweeper, especially since it still took Earthquakes and Cross Chops like a champ that made it a gigantic pain for most of the notable physical attackers in the format, swapping in then nailing something in the face with Sleep Powder for a nap time shutdown.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 7, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
What weaknesses would his new Grass/Dragon type give him? Just a 4x to ice, and 2x to Dragon?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

What weaknesses would his new Grass/Dragon type give him? Just a 4x to ice, and 2x to Dragon?

4x Ice
2x Bug, Dragon, Fairy, Flying, and Poison.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

One thing that the switch to eight-directional walking in this series did was completely destroy any sense of difficulty with sliding puzzles. It's great.

Also I think one of these is the tree some people reckon is why Long Exeggutor is a dragon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracaena_(plant)

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

McDragon posted:

One thing that the switch to eight-directional walking in this series did was completely destroy any sense of difficulty with sliding puzzles. It's great.

Unless you're like me and used to the four they had and it takes you half an hour to realise you HAVE to go diagonally to get through one of them. I forget where that is off the top of my head but I remember it being a thing that confused me for a while.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

General Maximus posted:

Unless you're like me and used to the four they had and it takes you half an hour to realise you HAVE to go diagonally to get through one of them. I forget where that is off the top of my head but I remember it being a thing that confused me for a while.

Same here.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

MagusofStars posted:

Yeah. Sun and Moon have "Aloha" forms which take existing mons and give them drastically different types and movesets - some of the ones mentioned thus far are an Ice/Steel Sandshrew and an Ice/Fairy Ninetales.

Dark type Meowth and Fire/Ghost Marowak has also been confirmed.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Roro posted:

Fire/Ghost Marowak

:stare: WHAT?!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The ghost of mama Marowak comes back with a FLAMING SKULL

I MUST HAVE IT EVEN THOUGH THAT'S PROBABLY NOT WHAT IT'S GONNA BE AND I ALMOST NEVER USE FIRE TYPES

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

It became a Ghost/Fire pui dancer to resist natural Alolan predators.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The ghost of mama Marowak comes back with a FLAMING SKULL

I MUST HAVE IT EVEN THOUGH THAT'S PROBABLY NOT WHAT IT'S GONNA BE AND I ALMOST NEVER USE FIRE TYPES
Pretty much this.

Marowak picking up Ghost type is fitting, given its past history with Gen 1. Fire's a bit odd, but I'll take it.

Actually, I'll settle for Totally Not Ghost Rider as its form, too.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

mr skeltal's spiritual successor.

Literally.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Does Alola Marowak ride a motorcycle? If not, why not?

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I'm off the opinion that Marowak should have been ghost/ground from the very beginning, but heaven forbid R/B/Y have more than three ghost types that aren't part of the same evolutionary line. Every time I look at gen 1 I realize how many absurd and just plain poor decisions those games are filled with.

Also, why hasn't anyone just posted the picture yet?

Skyridge fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 10, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Waaait
Will ghost/fire Marowak still benefit from the thick club?
STAB Flare Blitz with rock head :stare:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Skyridge posted:

I'm off the opinion that Marowak should have been ghost/ground from the very beginning, but heaven forbid R/B/Y have more than three ghost types that aren't part of the same evolutionary line. Every time I look at gen 1 I realize how many absurd and just plain poor decisions those games are filled with.

Also, why hasn't anyone just posted the picture yet?

But why should it have been a ghost type when it isn't dead?

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Cheez posted:

Ghost-types aren't actually dead, as far as I know? The skull theme would easily be enough to justify being a Ghost.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Aithon posted:

Ghost-types aren't actually dead, as far as I know? The skull theme would easily be enough to justify being a Ghost.

Welcome to one of the scariest Pokémon there is: Yamask.

Relevant part, It's Pokedex entry from Black:

quote:

Each of them carries a mask that used to be its face when it was human. Sometimes they look at it and cry.

But yeah, not sure about Ghasty or Gengar or whatever, but this one is definitely a ghost type for a reason.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Cheez posted:

Per Pokémon lore, it's literally wearing its mother's skull. If that's not ghosty enough for you, something's wrong with you.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cheez posted:

That new dancing bird gets a Ghost form because it's using a special dance to channel spirits, Aloha Marowak is probably the same idea only with its dead mom.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Waaait
Will ghost/fire Marowak still benefit from the thick club?
STAB Flare Blitz with rock head :stare:

Judging by the other Alola Forms I'd be surprised if it kept Rock Head or got Flare Blitz. It could be come special-focused, too.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Aerdan posted:

Per Pokémon lore, it's literally wearing its mother's skull. If that's not ghosty enough for you, something's wrong with you.
Having an inanimate skull on my person doesn't automatically make me a spirit. All ghost types are ghosts or spirits of some kind. All of them.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Raichu has also been given an Alola form (no word on Pichu or Pikachu as yet), which is Electric/Psychic with the ability Surge Surfer. It stands on its tail like a surfer too :3:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Roro posted:

Raichu has also been given an Alola form (no word on Pichu or Pikachu as yet), which is Electric/Psychic with the ability Surge Surfer. It stands on its tail like a surfer too :3:

We've seen Pichu & Pikachu and they don't have an Alola form.
Presumably it's like exeggutor. Pikachu from Alola will evolve into Alola Raichu, but don't otherwise look different.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Roro posted:

oh my goddddddddddddddddddddddddd :3: :3:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The sun/moon pokemon have so many gimmicks
its gonna be great.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Can we have Pokemon themed Pachinko?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

rannum posted:

Judging by the other Alola Forms I'd be surprised if it kept Rock Head or got Flare Blitz. It could be come special-focused, too.

The abilities it can have are Cursed Body and Lightning Rod.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm glad (and shocked) that Raichu is finally getting the attention it deserves, but I wonder why only Gen I Pokemon are getting Alola forms.

Also, Surge Surfer sounds like it might finally give me an excuse to use those terrain moves. Maybe.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm glad (and shocked) that Raichu is finally getting the attention it deserves, but I wonder why only Gen I Pokemon are getting Alola forms.

Also, Surge Surfer sounds like it might finally give me an excuse to use those terrain moves. Maybe.

I doubt it, unless Raichu suddenly picks up enough additional power with it's new form to make it worth using with the Ability. Even Grassy Terrain, a much better terrain form on much better Pokemon then Raichu, sees exactly zero play in Gen 6.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

GameFreak is always biased towards Gen 1 because it was the first and most notable gen. Nostalgia grabs, basically.

Surge Surfer honestly sounds kind of bad for Raichu? Raichu has a base speed of 110. Even if it gets a little slower as Alola Raichu, that doesn't seem worth setting up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Nostalgia is a powerful selling tool. See how well Go's doing. Appealing to genwunners is, sadly, not a bad move.

I still wish we got Alola forms of other Pokemon.

• Locked thread