Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kilroy posted:

US copyright law is loving awful and the TPP will both export it abroad as well as make it much more difficult to ever fix it in the US (because we'd have to violate the treaty to do so). Basically it makes all the shittier parts of US copyright law mandatory, and then anything in current US law that mitigates the carnage somewhat is optional.

That's totally not what's going on in it, but thanks for your uniformed opinion anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Mr Trump did you rape this woman?

*in Early Cuyler voice* "no yer honor, twas immergrants"

"I had to throw out that baby yer honor, he done looked at me crossways!"

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

It's really a contrast in campaigns. On a day where Trump is trying to pretend he didn't call for violence against his opponent and tweeting burns at Morning Joe, the news about the Clinton campaign is that she's reaching out to Mormon voters with a sensitive and locally contextualized appeal for their vote.

Augh, what a *insert extremely misogynistic slur of choice here*

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Maybe this is why Trump isn't spending any money on ads? He spouts his crazy stuff, news reports it, his voters tell their friends and so forth. If it's on the news, Facebook, etc every time he opens his mouth, why buy ads?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ringo Star Get posted:

Maybe this is why Trump isn't spending any money on ads? He spouts his crazy stuff, news reports it, his voters tell their friends and so forth. If it's on the news, Facebook, etc every time he opens his mouth, why buy ads?

That or he's trying to find a way to funnel campaign donations to himself.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Ringo Star Get posted:

He doesn't get to control the narrative this way

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

zoux posted:

It's really a contrast in campaigns. On a day where Trump is trying to pretend he didn't call for violence against his opponent and tweeting burns at Morning Joe, the news about the Clinton campaign is that she's reaching out to Mormon voters with a sensitive and locally contextualized appeal for their vote.

That's how Clinton has been running her entire campaign. She's staying quiet and local. Yeah the DNC was her front and center, but really, she's entirely content to let Trump eat news cycles that show how much of a buffoon he is. The whole Shooter's Dad thing was something that may have made a cycle or two if Trump didn't open his mouth, but the campaign quickly came out "We didn't invite him" and later (the same day!) "We disavow him", unlike Trump who takes forever and a half to disavow David loving Duke.

Her email answer notwithstanding, she has been running a very clean campaign, and it shows.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

This might tilt us towards foreign policy the next day or two: Libyan rebels (the kind we like, apparently) have taken over IS' pseudo-capital in Sirte.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-37037544

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really hope the DoJ forces reform on BPD, because Jesus Christ the Wire was a documentary.

The Wire didn't actually look as bad as what's being reported here. This is like The Wire But Everyone Is Herc.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Teddybear posted:

This might tilt us towards foreign policy the next day or two: Libyan rebels (the kind we like, apparently) have taken over IS' pseudo-capital in Sirte.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-37037544

Maybe now Americans will start to understand that ISIS is on the retreat on every front, instead of believing it's more powerful than ever.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

fishmech posted:

That's totally not what's going on in it, but thanks for your uniformed opinion anyway!
It's a reasonably accurate two-sentence summary.

If you're winding up for a multi-page derail where you hammer on the point that the TPP does not enshrine literally US law in the text of the agreement, FYI I am going to bed and will not be reading your posts until tomorrow morning, and probably not even then :ohdear:

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Pakled posted:

Maybe now Americans will start to understand that ISIS is on the retreat on every front, instead of believing it's more powerful than ever.

The more territory they lose, the more people susceptible to their ideology stay in the western nations they originate from. No one cares when ISIS is burning hundreds of brown people to death in Syria, but it's a big deal when a much less lethal attack hits the west - and it will probably happen again and with more voracity now that they're losing horribly.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/mmurraypolitics/status/763418239229628416

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Jimbozig posted:

Nope, I just looked at the state-by-state data and looked at what would happen if Trump were to get a completely uniform 7% bump in the polls (enough to bring him exactly even with Hillary). The result would be that he would take Iowa, Florida, Ohio, Nevada, and NH, just barely getting over 269.

That indicates that (as the polls stand today, and understanding that this is likely to change with any new polls) Trump has a structural advantage. A tied popular vote would go to Trump.

Two pages ago, but look at the conditional probabilities :ssh:
The numbers you're looking at say Trump is more likely to lose the EC if he wins the popular vote than Clinton is to lose the EC if she wins the popular vote.

(part of the reason the popular vote is so lopsided is that Trump does relatively worse in solid red/blue states than in swing states, so Clinton runs up the score with a lot of superfluous blue state votes)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Checks out, I live in the number 2 market and the number of Hillary ads I'm seeing is nuts.

I actually saw the first pro-Trump ad I've seen on TV the other day, it was a Super PAC ad about how steel is the backbone of American and we're gonna build stuff in America again and MAGA.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Is there a thread about the BPD findings? I'm going through the report right now and holy poo poo there's some absolutely awful poo poo in there.

quote:

We found evidence that BPD supervisors have explicitly condoned trespassing arrests that
do not meet constitutional standards, and evidence suggesting that trespassing enforcement is
focused on public housing developments. A shift commander for one of BPD’s districts emailed a
template for describing trespassing arrests to a sergeant and a patrol officer. The template provides
a blueprint for arresting an individual standing on or near a public housing development who cannot
give a “valid reason” for being there—a facially unconstitutional detention. Equally troubling is the
fact that the template contains blanks to be filled in for details of the arrest, including the arrest data
and location and the suspect’s name and address, but does not include a prompt to fill in the race or
gender of the arrestee. Rather, the words “black male” are automatically included in the description
of the arrest.
The supervisor’s template thus presumes that individuals arrested for trespassing will
be African American.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Checks out, I live in the number 2 market and the number of Hillary ads I'm seeing is nuts.

I actually saw the first pro-Trump ad I've seen on TV the other day, it was a Super PAC ad about how steel is the backbone of American and we're gonna build stuff in America again and MAGA.

Sure that wasn't a Silverado ad?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

WampaLord posted:

Ah yes, those famous Tampa steel mills that closed down in the 80's, invoking nostalgia for them is surely a winning strategy.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

botany posted:

Is there a thread about the BPD findings? I'm going through the report right now and holy poo poo there's some absolutely awful poo poo in there.

I feel bad for the usability expert who was told that "99% of the time the value in that field is 'black male' so why can't it be pre-filled?" and had to put it in there.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

I'm so glad I live in the best and one of the bluest states in the nation. :ca:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I am going to have trouble waiting for polls based on this week to come out next week. This is a potentially huge pro-Hillary bump or Trump negative.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kudos Slate Action for this:

https://twitter.com/MULawPoll/status/763425767371964417

:getin:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Sure that wasn't a Silverado ad?

It was a 30 second version of this, with most of the opening half cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMNZTcGSHLg

Pakled posted:

Ah yes, those famous Tampa steel mills that closed down in the 80's, invoking nostalgia for them is surely a winning strategy.

I know, right? I thought it was a Pittsburgh ad that got put in the wrong market.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/MULawPoll/status/763427253892030465

Oh, so all those Feingold voted against the PATRIOT Act opposition ads are working oh so well.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

quote:

In
one incident we reviewed, an officer observed a gathering of people talking, eating, and waiting for
food outside a late-night restaurant after bars had closed. None of the people appeared to be
committing any crimes. But rather than monitoring the group or calling for backup in case of
trouble, the officer decided to attempt to disperse the gathering alone. The officer reported that he
decided to do this because he believed his supervisor would not be happy if he saw the area had not
been cleared. As a result of his decision to clear the corner, the officer ended up in a physical
altercation with a man who refused to leave. Alone and surrounded by an unfriendly crowd, the
officer fired his service weapon at a man he feared was about to kick him. The bullet struck two
people, at least one of whom was not involved in the incident. Despite the officer’s serious tactical
mistakes, reviewing supervisors did not report any errors and concluded that the officer had acted
appropriately

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

iospace posted:

https://twitter.com/MULawPoll/status/763427253892030465

Oh, so all those Feingold voted against the PATRIOT Act opposition ads are working oh so well.

I'll be so happy if Feingold comes back to congress.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

A Winner is Jew posted:

I'm so glad I live in the best and one of the bluest states in the nation. :ca:

I have a friend who lives there. He is voting for Stein because, among other things, to him: "Trump and Hillary would both be votes for accelerationism."

:suicide:

I hope not many people are of that opinion.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BleiddWhitefalcon posted:

From a few pages back, but as someone who used to live in the Baltimore area, this is completely unsurprising. They're a bunch of shitbags.

I want Lynch to announce she's purging the BPD entirely. Full on :commissar: and then pick another awful city and start the process over. That entire place needs to be cleaned out, most of the officers need to be banned from Law Enforcement for life and many need to spend a few years/decades in prison.

ImpAtom posted:

This election is basically just like Dwarf Fortress but more depressing.

Let's Play: GOP Fortress.

Welcome to Trumpmurdered. :unsmigghh:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd start a Philippines thread, but I don't know if there'd be any interest in it, and it'd just be me posting the latest insane poo poo that the President said. Here's a cross-post from a write-up I made in the Politoons thread compiling the week so far:

Everybody should read this post, Duterte is legitimately terrifying.

I wouldn't have anything to contribute to a Philippines thread but I would read it.

Artificer posted:

I have a friend who lives there. He is voting for Stein because, among other things, to him: "Trump and Hillary would both be votes for accelerationism."

How is Hillary a vote for accelerationism? I'm really pretty baffled by that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Artificer posted:

What the gently caress is accelerationism anyway?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wish I could donate to Hillary's campaign but there's a bunch of hoops I need to jump through for work (no idea whether it's an internal thing or a finra thing) in order to donate. Multiple levels of approval (the easy part), documentation, quarterly reporting, etc.

I'll be voting though :unsmith:

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

iospace posted:

The belief that people won't support structural reforms without things getting worse, so supporting candidates and policies that make things worse in hopes of it convincing people somehow.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

iospace posted:

Trying to bring about the demise of capitalism by voting for super-capitalist candidates so as to bring about a faster collapse and thus a quicker path to FULL COMMUNISM.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

botany posted:

This is a natural offshoot of a policing environment where firing on a person who fits the description of black male, age 20-30, between 5' 6" and 6' 6", with a light to heavy build can be considered a 'good shoot'

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

zoux posted:

Yeah , this is a 10 year old campaign machine designed to grind up coordinated, competent and funded Republican campaign efforts. But we're like in the end came of Civ V and we're running our main battle tanks into some unexplored areas and we're coming across Trump hoplite units.

I laughed really loud at this. Thanks.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

iospace posted:

Believing that the current system is so broken that the only solution is complete revolution and overhaul, and that those things only come about if poo poo get worse. Therefore vote for the people most likely to destabilize the status quo and thus prompt revolutionary change.

They would vote Trump since he might do such a bad job, the entire system will be overthrown, or at least pave the way for it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Tulip posted:

Everybody should read this post, Duterte is legitimately terrifying.

I wouldn't have anything to contribute to a Philippines thread but I would read it.

How is Hillary a vote for accelerationism? I'm really pretty baffled by that.

He, and he thinks many other liberals in CA, believes that Shillary is just as bad as Trump.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Believing that the current system is so broken that the only solution is complete revolution and overhaul, and that those things only come about if poo poo get worse. Therefore vote for the people most likely to destabilize the status quo and thus prompt revolutionary change.

They would vote Trump since he might do such a bad job, the entire system will be overthrown, or at least pave the way for it.

Didn't a bunch of leftists legitimately think this in Weimar Germany and then get surprised when they ended up arrested by the nazis.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So Hillary's emails are back in the news.

1) the family of the Bengazi victims are suing, claiming her server led to their loved ones dying.

2) turns out new emails show the state department was hiring people from her foundation.

Also, Jidical Watch is heading up the lawsuit. I though that was one of those groups that just ask for donations to send out more junk mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So currently Assange is trying to coyly put it out that the dead DNC staffer was the source of the leak.

Of course they don't "comment on our sources". But it could have been him. We don't know. But "our sources take risks".

Buzzfeed link with video of interview from a Dutch news program.

quote:

“I am suggesting that our sources take risks and they become concerned to see things occurring like that,” Assange added, when asked what he was alleging. “We don’t comment on who our sources are.”

Asked by interviewer Eelco Bosch van Rosenthal why he would speculate about someone being shot, Assange said it showed “our sources face serious risks.”

“We have to understand how high the stakes are in the US, and that our sources face serious risks. That’s why they come to us, so we can protect their anonymity,” he said

Of course this comes in the wake of US agencies linking the Russia to the DNC hack

• Locked thread