Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

All new effects from S3 on (BoBW excepted) were with the four-foot model they constructed between 2 and 3, so that would've been brand new.

I'm pretty sure they started using the four-footer midway through the third season.

EDIT: I think the first time it showed up was in The Defector

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cojawfee posted:

Go over and post all that on the star trek reddit. I said that Enterprise ended up lame because everything was literally the same and some sperg piped up with "yeah but the hull plating works by a completely different concept to shields."

lol there's no way i'm going to post on reddit, let alone the loving trek subreddit

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Timby posted:

Pretty much.

They also had to do a massive restoration job just to make it usable for Generations, because it had literally been left to rot after it was hauled out for the saucer separation in Best of Both Worlds (the 4-footer, in addition to having a saucer that looked like a pregnant manta ray with aztecing and hull detailing that seems to have been applied by a blind man with Parkinson's, couldn't separate). Almost all of the internal lighting in the six-footer had frayed and was unusable, the paint job was faded and corrupted, the model itself had been beat to hell during various transports between studios, and that's where yet another huge chunk of Generations' budget went -- something like nearly $1 million went to getting the thing fixed.

The model cost $75,000 at the beginning of TNG's run. There is absolutely no chance that they spent $1 Million fixing it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

McSpanky posted:

This is old but seems to bear constant repeating:

:colbert:

I skipped the "Enterprise meets Joe Piscopo, comedy legend" episode, come at me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good news

http://io9.gizmodo.com/someone-made-a-life-size-bust-of-star-treks-scotty-that-1785086955

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Its about loving time

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My co-worker thinks Enterprise is the best series because Archer took names and kicked rear end, while Deep Space Nine was incredibly boring, nothing ever happened, and Sisko's actor was the world's biggest overactor.

I'm experiencing this feeling, I can't quite put into words...

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CobiWann posted:

My co-worker thinks Enterprise is the best series because Archer took names and kicked rear end, while Deep Space Nine was incredibly boring, nothing ever happened, and Sisko's actor was the world's biggest overactor.

I know this feeling. I remember it well, when a friend once said that they thought Nemesis was a much better movie than The Wrath of Khan.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Infinite Bad Opinions in Infinite Combinations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

List of Star Trek captains who have used chemical weapons to poison entire planetary biospheres to take revenge on a guy he used to work with:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

List of Star Trek captains who have used chemical weapons to poison entire planetary biospheres to take revenge on a guy he used to work with:

The Sisko owns and I will not stand for this slanderous remark.

Side note - the Voyager episode where they get the message that all of the Maquis were killed by the Dominion is hilarious.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

WampaLord posted:

The Sisko owns and I will not stand for this slanderous remark.

He has such enormous balls he committed what surely must be war crimes and rolled up to Starfleet, whipped it out and said WHAT NOW and they didn't punish him at all.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
At that point I'm pretty sure that was one of three possible outcomes, the other two being "the Federation orders Starfleet to not intervene as the Cardassian fleet annihilates every last Maquis colony" and "the Cardassians declare war on the Federation".

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
"We just want to b-be treated like a real grown-up space nation :qq:"
"Okay well guess what happens to space nations that hit other space nations with WMDs?"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Sisko walked into the Federation president's office and stared him down, silently, while shaving his head and forcing a goatee to sprout. The president agreed The Sisko can do whatever he wants.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Take out the hair stuff and that's basically Captain Harlock right there.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Makes you wonder why the Maquis don't just hit all their own worlds with "lethal to cardassians harmless to humans" chemical agents.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

mossyfisk posted:

Makes you wonder why the Maquis don't just hit all their own worlds with "lethal to cardassians harmless to humans" chemical agents.

Because then the Cardassians would glass them from orbit out of spite.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

CobiWann posted:

Huh? I know we all have different favourites and dislikes but taking names and kicking rear end? Did he actually watch the show? Archer had his arse handed to him multiple times*, and he also gets slapped around diplomatically and his ship kept getting shredded.

*My personal favourite Archer moment is in the Vulcan monastery episode. The Andorians beat him to a pulp not once but twice, and he still sides with them over the Vulcans at the end of the episode.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 10, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe one day there will be some sort of captain who can fight his way out of any situation. Maybe later there will be a captain who can coolly handle intense situations. Who knows, maybe even a black one. Perhaps there could even be a lady captain in the distant future. In any case, I'll just have to make things up as I go along as I am the first captain to make it out this far and there aren't really any rules or established policies as of yet.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

http://www.startrek.com/article/remembering-ds9s-barry-jenner-1941-2016

RIP :(

Asmodai_00 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 10, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

My favorite captain is the one I rolled on the life path system for Fasa's Star Trek RPG. He had like 8 tours of duty, did poorly on all of them, and obviously only got his command because of blackmail or a relative in the Admiralty.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Baka-nin posted:

*My personal favourite Archer moment is in the Vulcan monastery episode. The Andorians beat him to a pulp not once but twice, and he still sides with them over the Vulcans at the end of the episode.

That's totally in character for him, which I love. He doesn't HATE the Vulcans in general, but he's got a huge amount of pent up angst over the idea that they held back humanity, especially his father. Dude is just looking for excuses to stick it to the green bloods and when it turns out they're straight up lying AND breaking a treaty, their hypocrisy is just too delicious.

Also, it was Jeffrey Combs which means siding with him is a given.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Threadmasters, perhaps you can tell me about this game I saw someone play in my school library's mac around 1994.

It was a top-down StarTrek, with either the TOSprise or Galaxyprise, in kind of a faux 3D gourad shading color. Warped around, dropped people off at planets, used phasers or torps.

Can't for the life of me remember a name though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I skipped the "Enterprise meets Joe Piscopo, comedy legend" episode, come at me.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The scene with Guinan and Data can be entertaining. Throw the rest in the trash.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I think The Outrageous Okona is the second worst episode of TNG. But unlike the worst episode, Code of Honor, it has some redeeming value and you should watch it once.

Edit: Actually shades of grey might be worse too.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 10, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

I think The Outrageous Okona is the second worst episode of TNG. But unlike the worst episode, Code of Honor Cost of Living, it has some redeeming value and you should watch it once.

Edit: Actually shades of grey might be worse too.

Fixed.

Also, Shades of Grey is the only episode that people can skip because it's literally a clip show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Delsaber posted:

The scene with Guinan and Data can be entertaining. Throw the rest in the trash.

I will always hate Guinan being part of that subplot because they had Whoopi right there and gave her lovely non-jokes! How do you have an actual working stand-up there and make her not funny?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The early season 1 drug episode is right behind those three.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"I feel strange but also good."
"Well Wes, back on the rape planet where I'm from, we had drugs. While they may make you feel good right now, eventually all drugs will kill you. Except for tobacco and alcohol of course."

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

"Well Wes, back on the rape planet where I'm from, we had drugs. While they may make you feel good right now, eventually all drugs will kill you. Except for tobacco and alcohol of course."

Star Trek humans rarely drink real alcohol and I can't recall any examples of one using tobacco. I've always considered this one of the weirdest things about Star Trek.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Cojawfee posted:

Inserting this into an episode about an interplanetary pharmaceutical scam is one of the most 1988 moments imaginable.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
So I thought there was supposed to be more announcements for the new series? Is all we get for now some unfinished Andorian makeup?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Am I alone in having basically no hope that this new series is any good or that it lasts longer than a few episodes?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FilthyImp posted:

Threadmasters, perhaps you can tell me about this game I saw someone play in my school library's mac around 1994.

It was a top-down StarTrek, with either the TOSprise or Galaxyprise, in kind of a faux 3D gourad shading color. Warped around, dropped people off at planets, used phasers or torps.

Can't for the life of me remember a name though.
Was it kind of turn based? Did you have to go to a starbase to reload and stuff? I think similar games have been around for a long while, though the graphics have steadily improved. Not so much now, of course.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

Star Trek humans rarely drink real alcohol and I can't recall any examples of one using tobacco. I've always considered this one of the weirdest things about Star Trek.

I was more tying it into the 1980s say no to drugs except for the ones that pay us advertising money.

Allen_Aldo
Jul 8, 2013

Ogmius815 posted:

Didn't David Bowie's wife give Kirk a drag from a cigarillo in Star Trek 6? I mean, it might have been cannabis or the ashes of expired prisoners, but it certainly seemed like tobacco.

Also, the bridge simulator in TWOK had no smoking signs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nessus posted:

Was it kind of turn based? Did you have to go to a starbase to reload and stuff? I think similar games have been around for a long while, though the graphics have steadily improved. Not so much now, of course.
Not turn based, but I think there were starbases or whatnot along with planets.

It wasn't quite like the DOS games from back whenabouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Evek posted:

So I thought there was supposed to be more announcements for the new series? Is all we get for now some unfinished Andorian makeup?

Who the gently caress knows what's going on. CBS keep on being CBS.