Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Fangz posted:

She's up by 4 in Marist.

Oh, I thought it was two. My bad. http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/ohio/

I'm still curious why in these swing states, like Florida for instance, she isn't further ahead. I'm only comforted by the fact she doesn't need many swing states to win.

I still think this election is going to be a lot closer than people realise. It's entirely conceivable that Trump wins Ohio, Florida, NC and Iowa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

CelestialScribe posted:

Oh, I thought it was two. My bad. http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/ohio/

I'm still curious why in these swing states, like Florida for instance, she isn't further ahead. I'm only comforted by the fact she doesn't need many swing states to win.

I still think this election is going to be a lot closer than people realise. It's entirely conceivable that Trump wins Ohio, Florida, NC and Iowa.

it probably isn't

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Those states are 'swing states' because they were states that were close between Obama and Romney in 2012 despite Obama having a large lead nationally. They are inherently defined to be more pro-Republican than the average state.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
lol, freaking out because Clinton isn't absolutely destroying Trump in some swing states. What matters is that she's prohibitively ahead in PA, CO, VA, and NH, and can thus focus resources elsewhere.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I want to believe. Oh god how I want to believe even though Clinton winning districts doesn't mean incumbents lose and I'd be surprised if even a Clinton +10 victory caused the House to flip. OTOH, if Trump causes the GOP to suffer a cascade failure that sweeps them out of the majority in both chambers I can't even begin to imagine what the lame duck period is going to look like. Not only would Garland get fast-tracked but would we see Ryan and others try to pass a bunch of moderate garbage so that the Dems don't just shut them out in January to pass things on their own?

The senate though? I'm going to be stunned beyond belief if the GOP can manage to hold on there since all the Dems really need is to tie people like Toomey to Trump and they're toast. Dems need 4 wins and they're looking at 3 that appear to be a lock so far aren't they?

BiohazrD posted:

Isn't 1% "only" like 200-300k a year? He's definitely in there.

For households, the top 5% is around 225k or so. Top 1% is around 500k IIRC.

CS is trying to be a dumber version of Arzy. Instead they tend to just be dumb.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spatula City posted:

lol, freaking out because Clinton isn't absolutely destroying Trump in some swing states. What matters is that she's prohibitively ahead in PA, CO, VA, and NH, and can thus focus resources elsewhere.

Does no one read usernames around here?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Spatula City posted:

The story of this election has always been "if Pennsylvania's a lock, Clinton almost can't lose"

And Pennsylvania's a lock, so...

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

The story of this election has always been "if Pennsylvania's a lock, Clinton almost can't lose"

And Pennsylvania's a lock, so...

She absolutely can win PA and still lose.

It's not likely, but it's possible.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
So I went and read the full Op-Ed Hillary did for DesNews and holy poo poo:

quote:

Americans don’t have to agree on everything. We never have. But when it comes to religion, we strive to be accepting of everyone around us. That’s because we need each other. And we know that it so often takes a village — or a ward — working together to build the change we hope to see.

For those of you that don't know, a ward is what they call a single congregation in Mormon speak. I don't know who's doing her research but they're sure paying attention to signalling details.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

So I went and read the full Op-Ed Hillary did for DesNews and holy poo poo:

For those of you that don't know, a ward is what they call a single congregation in Mormon speak. I don't know who's doing her research but they're sure paying attention to signalling details.

As our resident UT expert, what's your overall impression of the letter?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Evil Fluffy posted:

I want to believe. Oh god how I want to believe even though Clinton winning districts doesn't mean incumbents lose and I'd be surprised if even a Clinton +10 victory caused the House to flip. OTOH, if Trump causes the GOP to suffer a cascade failure that sweeps them out of the majority in both chambers I can't even begin to imagine what the lame duck period is going to look like. Not only would Garland get fast-tracked but would we see Ryan and others try to pass a bunch of moderate garbage so that the Dems don't just shut them out in January to pass things on their own?

The senate though? I'm going to be stunned beyond belief if the GOP can manage to hold on there since all the Dems really need is to tie people like Toomey to Trump and they're toast. Dems need 4 wins and they're looking at 3 that appear to be a lock so far aren't they?

For households, the top 5% is around 225k or so. Top 1% is around 500k IIRC.

CS is trying to be a dumber version of Arzy. Instead they tend to just be dumb.

I think you are expecting more out of the swing state Democratic parties than they have to give. I don't know what originally caused it, but those parties have just completely lost the ability to field decent candidates or campaign for them. There is no way Ernst should have been elected in Iowa, but the Democratic party did their usual poo poo job. I didn't hear anything about the Democrat in that election, every one of their ads I saw it heard was just "Ernst bad, a vote for our guy is a vote against her" which really doesn't get people out to vote.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

zoux posted:

:hellyeah:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Someone made a list of specific Mormon references in that op-ed: http://juvenileinstructor.org/it-ta...ret-news-op-ed/

Whoever wrote it really did their homework.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Sundae posted:

"He might be a worthless rear end in a top hat, but he's our worthless rear end in a top hat" is a fairly common sentiment to see pretty much everywhere. He might be fair game to criticize locally, but don't you outsiders dare talk poo poo about (insert lovely thing/person here).

Right, and this is a Governor of a swing state of the same party as you. Someone you really don't want to piss the locals off about.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HorseRenoir posted:

Someone made a list of specific Mormon references in that op-ed: http://juvenileinstructor.org/it-ta...ret-news-op-ed/

Whoever wrote it really did their homework.

Triangulation!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Chin Strap posted:

Man his rap career really took a nose dive if he's letting dudes have sex with him on a lawn.

omg

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

zoux posted:

Triangulation!

Don't blow too soon. You still have 6 months until then.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
https://www.facebook.com/cnn/videos/10155153802976509/
Some dude climbing Trump Tower

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Another live stream of Trump jumper climber..

https://www.facebook.com/ABC7NY/videos/10153928213704091/

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I hope he takes a liquid poo poo all over the sign live on camera.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Man, that looks like it would take fooooorrrreeevvver. Placing each cup, manually pumping each one.

Dude is gonna be tired when he gets to the top and security tackles his rear end.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Dipshit Donald forgot his loving keys again.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

Again? Is there some "Clinton is bad on animal rights" thing I'm not aware of? Or are they just targeting her because they think more left-leaning audiences are more likely to listen, whereas they'd just get beaten up at a Trump rally?

It's the second one. It's definitely direct action everywhere who have that video with that women going into that eatery and screaming at them for eating her "child's" brother and sisters.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Young Freud posted:

As is this: Russia is accusing Ukraine of an aborted terror attack, that's looking more like a Gleiwitz-style false flag to create a casus belli for invading Ukraine...
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...s+World+News%29

loving Putin couldn't wait for Trump to get elected.

It's unfair to compare this to the actions of nazis, russians already have a proud history of creating their own false flag operations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelling_of_Mainila

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP493LmSJrE

Is this the guy?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Goon Danton posted:

Is there any use in calling my idiot senator Toomey's office and asking if he's willing to denounce Trump yet? Beyond my own amusement that is.

Trip Report! Toomey's office is not answering the phone.

"The office is closed. Our normal hours are 8:30 AM to 6 PM, Monday through Thursday..." -Toomey's office voicemail, 5:30 PM

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Hahahaha

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/763471607910260737

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

god i hope so

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

It's pretty loving good. Full text is here: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...d-the.html?pg=2

Critical analysis?

quote:

I’m running for president to make sure our country continues to live up to our founding principles. Those timeless ideas teach us that we’re stronger together when we work in unison to solve our problems, no matter what we look like, where we come from or how we pray.

That last one is important. As Americans, we hold fast to the belief that everyone has the right to worship however he or she sees fit.
Let's face it, Mormons are some of the most white-breadiest motherfuckers you'll ever see. Yeah, they have minority members but this is Utah so diversity isn't a high priority around here.

She namedrops Jon Huntsman for the local connection and Jefferson as a Founding Father.

Mentions some of Trump's Greatest (S)Hits like the Khans, NATO, and nukes.

quote:

But you don’t have to take it from me. Listen to Mitt Romney, who said Trump “fired before aiming” when he decided a blanket religious ban was a solution to the threat of terrorism.

Listen to former Sen. Larry Pressler, who said Trump’s plan reminded him of when Missouri Gov. Lilburn Boggs singled out Mormons in his infamous extermination order of 1838.

Or listen to your governor, who saw Trump’s statement as a reminder of President Rutherford B. Hayes’ attempt to limit Mormon immigration to America in 1879.
:vince: Bring it all back home, baby.

Oh, and then there's this:

quote:

As Sister Rosemary M. Wixom once said, “As individuals we are strong. Together, with God, we are unstoppable.”

Sister Wixom is right, and she’s not alone. Generations of LDS leaders, from Joseph Smith and Brigham Young to Gordon Hinckley and Thomas Monson, have noted the infinite blessings we have received from the Constitution of the United States.
God loving drat. Rosemary Wixom is the current 12th General President of the Primary. Primary is the LDS equivalent of Sunday School. They could have pulled a quote from Lincoln, or hell, Reagan but nope, pick a living Mormon lady who's part of the church hierarchy. Also a bunch of prophets and poo poo.

Now how am I reading this? It's dogwhistling, but not the racist kind. This is a letter rather meticulously crafted to appeal to LDS women (the menfolk are 99% going to vote Trump or Johnson). Repeated mentions of family and children. local references all tied up with a great big God-bow. Mormons are patriarchal as all hell, but they're also benevolently sexist (if such a thing can be considered a positive). They don't discourage girls from being athletic or smart. Women are constantly referred to as being strong. They held state office a long frigging time ago - before suffrage, even!

I don't have statistics in front of me, but I think around 60% of the state population is LDS. Again, these people are going to be 95% white so generally speaking they don't face many hurdles to voting. If she can siphon off even 30% of the ladies with "I'm not an insane rear end in a top hat" and also the idea of voting for the first woman POTUS combined with the split between the Don and the Johnson, you might just see Utah go blue.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The usual strategy for gerrymandering is to "pack and crack" districts by compacting the opposition party's voters into the same district so their votes are wasted on electing only one representative, while the rest of the opposition party's voters are cracked amongst the rest of the districts your party is supposed to win.

That means the margin of victory is smaller in those districts than those in the opposition, and thus theoretically easier to flip.

The main problem is that congressional incumbents are generally and notoriously hard to get rid of anyway, so an easier margin of victory to overcome doesn't necessarily translate to an easier time flipping the district. But gerrymandered districts have been flipped before, and if the state parties effectively get out the vote and nominate good candidates there's definitely an opportunity to flip the House.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Cops took out a big pane 10 feet above him, I thought he would break it and he'd be taking a shower in glass shards..

Thunderstorms hit the area two hours ago and might do so again, so he picked a lousy time to do climbing

Supposedly he had a laptop earlier but he dropped it.

I hope he craps all over the side of the building.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So actual policy question: One of Donald Drumpf's few actual stated policy goals is repatriation of money stored offshore by American companies, untaxed. He's offering to let companies bring it into the American system with a one-time jubilee of a 10% tax on repatriated money.

Ignoring the fact that these companies currently are enjoying a 0% jubilee since they are doing fine not being taxed at all, what on Earth could the fascist yam do to enforce this?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Ignoring the fact that these companies currently are enjoying a 0% jubilee since they are doing fine not being taxed at all, what on Earth could the fascist yam do to enforce this?

There were references in some of his speeches 9 or so months ago to just taxing it anyway, but like everything he's said it's unclear how serious it was.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

So actual policy question: One of Donald Drumpf's few actual stated policy goals is repatriation of money stored offshore by American companies, untaxed. He's offering to let companies bring it into the American system with a one-time jubilee of a 10% tax on repatriated money.

If this policy is anything like his other ones, the plan is probably to shut down Western Union and then execute the companies' employees' families.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Phone posted:

*shitlords drape the Gadsden flag over a cop they just murdered*

"Yeah well uh, we can't say with any certainty what type of political affiliation these lone wolf individuals may subscribe to"

* after having just left the first Bundy Ranch standoff

** also they left behind a manifesto stating explicitly that they were sovcits

Bush tried that IIRC and of course it failed horribly because why pay to bring money back when you're already paying nothing to have it in Ireland?

If you really want to bring that money back, declare war on Ireland

Dirt
May 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/763489360348143616

Is he a pathological liar or what?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/763477408909500416

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm slowly starting to fall into the "he never intended to actually win the nomination and now he's busily sabotaging himself in a panic"-theory camp watching this idiot

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

That money is never coming back stateside, iirc both Bush and Obama tried an amnesty for money repatriation and the results are as you would expect when the appropriate analogy is calling your stolen cell phone and asking pretty please bring my gold studded car made of bearer bonds back, please?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
He still hasn't explicitly told his base not to shoot anyone, has he?

Also, hi from Baltimore. It's getting harder and harder to convince people from out of town that this city isn't completely awful :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

They nabbed the Trump tower climber.

• Locked thread