Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Steve2911 posted:

I'd like the next incarnation of The Joker to be a woman.

thats who harley quinn is though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Steve2911 posted:

A woman?!

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Just because I missed the fun of calling the xkcd guy delusional and autistic, here's what such strips make me remember.

A truly tough comic book to adapt.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, I recently actually watched Man of Steel and Batman versus Superman in their entirety for the first time and I don't really get why people act like the versions of the heroes in these movies are such a radical departure from the norm. Aside from a few things like the Bat-Brand, which is specifically called out by the narrative and owes a debt to Zorro, a character that inspired the Batman character in both the narrative and real life, it really does seem like it's just your standard superhero movie trope of characters being less durable in some ways than they are in the comics and cartoons. If anything, Dawn of Justice is one of the only superhero movies to address this head on, where it handles the fact that in these kinds of situations there will always be consequences beyond what the superheroes would ideally intend to happen, in a somewhat mature way. I doubt the DCEU Superman and Batman were ever intended to have some moment where they declare no one will ever die on their watch, that's not what Batman's redemption or Superman being made to realize his actions have consequences were really about. I don't believe that every version of these characters has to be this way like some apparently do, but I think it works for this version.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You must be insane.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Suicide Squad is a dumb movie, but it's a dumb movie that does its job, the box office records show it. I get why some people really despised of this movie, they'll say it a complete mess (and they're not wrong) and they're more than likely never going to see it again...not even buy the Blu-Ray.

Some people like me on the other hand know it's a bad film but they did enjoy it. There were a few aspects that I did find entertaining and made me want to come back for another screening, like Will Smith's portrayal of Deadshot and Robbie's Harley. The bar scene was also good and made me wish they could expand on the other characters more rather than just briefly give them a scene and a case file.

I may feel stupid for liking this movie, but given all the other poo poo films I've had to put up with this year (GB included) I'd rather watch this one again.

In the end, the movie and its production left me asking one question to myself...

who the gently caress was slipknot?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Junior Jr. posted:

The best climber on earth

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Junior Jr. posted:

a guy with a grappling hook

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Steve2911 posted:

Protip: Audience ratings are voted for by people like you and me.

We're awful idiots.

I'll always trust the opinions of goons; at least about movies and tv.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Junior Jr. posted:

Suicide Squad is a dumb movie, but it's a dumb movie that does its job, the box office records show it. I get why some people really despised of this movie, they'll say it a complete mess (and they're not wrong) and they're more than likely never going to see it again...not even buy the Blu-Ray.

Some people like me on the other hand know it's a bad film but they did enjoy it. There were a few aspects that I did find entertaining and made me want to come back for another screening, like Will Smith's portrayal of Deadshot and Robbie's Harley. The bar scene was also good and made me wish they could expand on the other characters more rather than just briefly give them a scene and a case file.

I may feel stupid for liking this movie, but given all the other poo poo films I've had to put up with this year (GB included) I'd rather watch this one again.

In the end, the movie and its production left me asking one question to myself...

Exactly. It's not a remake of an old movie, not a sequel, not a found footage piece of crap, so it had more going for it than 90% of movies these days.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Junior Jr. posted:

Suicide Squad is a dumb movie, but it's a dumb movie that does its job, the box office records show it.

The film may be a lot of things, but 'dumb' isn't one of them. A lot of fans wanted it to be dumb, and came away disappointed - upset, for example, that the extremely loaded image of Joker in full SWAT gear is used as the punchline final image of the film, because they were hoping for a 'realistic' plot-heavy conflict instead.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The film may be a lot of things, but 'dumb' isn't one of them. A lot of fans wanted it to be dumb, and came away disappointed - upset, for example, that the extremely loaded image of Joker in full SWAT gear is used as the punchline final image of the film, because they were hoping for a 'realistic' plot-heavy conflict instead.

wow, the other guys weren't kidding about you. :laffo:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Junior Jr. posted:

wow, the other guys weren't kidding about you. :laffo:

Actually he's completely correct, "you jokers must be crazy" isn't just a fun way for Will Smith not to swear, there's an equivalence drawn between the Joker and the American military throughout the picture.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Martman posted:

Can we just do all of our argument in the form of food comparison from here on out?

Oh God no. Please. I'd give it three posts before it turned into a ham and pineapple pizza debate or which fast food burger was Marvel and which was DC.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Image is the Steakburger.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

I Before E posted:

Image is the Steakburger.

Oni Press is that wacky fruity frappucino your colleagues tell you it's pretty cool, then you try it once and think "it's alright" then forget about afterwards.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Oni Press is a wrestling move you use after filling your SPECIAL meter

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I was about to say that think the implication is that this is post-BvS Batman who is no longer criminally insane, but he does continue killing people in BvS even after deciding that he is Superman's friend.

But he didn't kill people in the warehouse, he acts just like he does in the Arkham games. :confused:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

You're in luck, Joker's daughter is a thing in DC Comics.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Young Freud posted:

You're in luck, Joker's daughter is a thing in DC Comics.

um, I think you meant Two-Face's daughter.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I Before E posted:

Actually he's completely correct, "you jokers must be crazy" isn't just a fun way for Will Smith not to swear, there's an equivalence drawn between the Joker and the American military throughout the picture.

Exactly; the joke at the end is that Harley perhaps stays with the squad because she can do more damage that way.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Exactly; the joke at the end is that Harley perhaps stays with the squad because she can do more damage that way.

The fact she's reading a romance novel in that bit is so perfect. He's her white(very white) knight in tactical armor.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

I Before E posted:

The fact she's reading a romance novel in that bit is so perfect. He's her white(very white) knight in tactical armor.

you know I didn't think she'd read or do something like that.

but then again I watched a DC doc where harley's a bit spontaneous in the comics so she's bound to do something out of the blue. Maybe the writers took notice or they just threw that in to fit her personality.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh God no. Please. I'd give it three posts before it turned into a ham and pineapple pizza debate or which fast food burger was Marvel and which was DC.

Hardee's and Carl's Jr., but which is which???

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
MCU is definitely Carl's Jr. while Suicide Squad is the Secretary of State in Idiocracy who ends every line with "Brought to you by Carl's Jr."

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Marvel films are (sanitary) Chipotle, DC films are Mcdonalds during a McRib return tour

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh God no. Please. I'd give it three posts before it turned into a ham and pineapple pizza debate

Is this a common debate?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
What kind of sandwich is Common?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Neurolimal posted:

Marvel films are (sanitary) Chipotle, DC films are Mcdonalds during a McRib return tour

Can you give Marvel a better brand than Chipotle? Maybe Wendy's?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
My point is that Marvel is healthy and competent, but not super interesting (not bland, but you know what you're getting into if you look at the director and the films bookending it), while DC is junk food that isn't good for you, may contain several body parts and hairs, but satisfies a certain chemical reaction in your brain and there's occasional items you might be surprised by how they make slime and sugar taste like that.

Suicide Squad is not a good movie, but it's an interesting bad movie.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Marvel is a saltine.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I'm worried for WB if they're actually going ahead with the current DCEU. I don't think it'll be long before they start throwing loving Bat-Mite into the party.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Junior Jr. posted:

I'm worried for WB if they're actually going ahead with the current DCEU. I don't think it'll be long before they start throwing loving Bat-Mite into the party.

Bat-Mite owns.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

These films are built on discontinuity. Suicide Squad takes place entirely in the post-apocalyptic Batman nightmare world.

Actually, minor quibble, it takes place in Waller's post-Superman-Apocalypse fantasy, which happens to closely resemble Batman's for obvious reasons.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Marvel is a saltine.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

My point is that Marvel is healthy and competent, but not super interesting (not bland, but you know what you're getting into if you look at the director and the films bookending it), while DC is junk food that isn't good for you, may contain several body parts and hairs, but satisfies a certain chemical reaction in your brain and there's occasional items you might be surprised by how they make slime and sugar taste like that.

What's "healthy" mean in this metaphor?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Watching the film felt a little like if Civil War was the first ever marvel film. All these characters that I've never really heard of doing stuff is only interesting if they've had some build up first. Poor Slipknot, whoever he is. The man who didn't get an intro is the one they blow up basically straight away, what a surprise.
Especially Katana. She wasn't even a villain! She was just there. Plus a character whose superpower is "Being Australian" feels absolutely bizzare. Talking up how the Squad can fight other metahumans when barely any of them are metahumans, come on. Unless going in that weird vat of whatever it was made Harvey into a metahuman? I wasn't sure what that was actually about.

I agree about it being disjointed and generally weird. It felt like a script with loads of re-writes. Can anyone explain to me why Incubus could just touch Enchantress on the chest and suddenly the whole heart problem is basically solved? I know she went and got it so it must mean something to her still but I just didn't "get" it. The bomb payoff with Incubus was strange too, I don't understand why they were so totally convinced that an explosion would kill him when a mexican fire god wouldn't.
I know Jared got a lot of his stuff cut as well but now I'm not surprised that tonnes of reviews mention how little he's even in it considering all the hype around him beforehand.

The feeling I had when I was watching it was similar to how I felt with Man of Steel at the start with the super long future war section, everything was being set up and it was taking loving forever. Only this is the entire film instead of just a beginning.

Taear fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 11, 2016

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Junior Jr. posted:

I don't think it'll be long before they start throwing loving Bat-Mite into the party.

Why the hell not?

Zurr-En-Arrh Batman too, please.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neurolimal posted:

The reason you resort to increasingly strained food metaphors is that you haven't got the language to speak accurately, in terms of paracinema/"badfilm" - or, as Ayer characterizes it, art film.

What's remarkable from interviews is how Ayer seems positively chuffed to have been given the opportunity to edit together six or seven different version of Suicide Squad to maximize test-audience scores. It solidifies the film's exploitation cred.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

The reason you resort to increasingly strained food metaphors is that you haven't got the language to speak accurately, in terms of paracinema/"badfilm" - or, as Ayer characterizes it, art film.

you have to explain that from previous posts? good god man.

• Locked thread