Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Old Bay seasoning, crabs, Natty Boh, and the Orioles. The aquarium is nice too I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Mozi posted:

Old Bay seasoning, crabs, Natty Boh, and the Orioles. The aquarium is nice too I guess.

A bunch of great concert venues across the whole range of sizes and a burgeoning restaurant scene too

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Surprise twist: the climber isn't a protester, he's a crazy alt-right Trump supporter who wanted a personal meeting with the Donald.

https://twitter.com/apadillafilm6/status/763500967799169028?s=09

Probably not the best thing to do a day after everyone freaked out about Trump supporters getting inspired to do dangerous things.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Dork457 posted:

They nabbed the Trump tower climber.

Aww drat. I feel for him because i think these climbing events can turn out to be expensive after you get arrested. Do they at least bank off of it like the crazy right wingers that get arrested?

Still disappointed that he failed to poo poo on the building.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hello Master Trump

e: The Obsessive Sycophant scale is off the charts with this one.

Donkwich fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 10, 2016

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

People are worried that he's going to call for violence when he loses, but I'm starting to think he's going to just insist he won. Whether he drags it out to the actual Electoral College convention, or to the inauguration, or if he starts holding Cabinet meetings in the rec room of his mental institution, I'm not sure.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Apparently "no formal meeting took place" which of course is juuuust vague enough to allow the entire country to argue about at least until whatever he fucks up tomorrow

https://mobile.twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/763505919053406210

The campaign should have talking points about this by now, and they sure as poo poo shouldve had them before Trump said anything

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 10, 2016

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Aww drat. I feel for him because i think these climbing events can turn out to be expensive after you get arrested. Do they at least bank off of it like the crazy right wingers that get arrested?

Still disappointed that he failed to poo poo on the building.

I'm actually curious if Trump leans into this craziness and invites him to have some part in his campaign.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So I've noticed a trend on CNN is to report on a story (in this case the Rio Olympic pools turning green) and then to have the story dovetail into what the internet thinks.

I loving hate CNN so much.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
CNN's basically been doing that for the past 8 years or so. I remember when they were at least semi-respectable, if a little hawkish. I don't know what the gently caress they're doing now, and likely neither do they. Peak CNN was when they gave that Malaysian flight black hole theory any credence whatsoever.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Ciaphas posted:

I'm slowly starting to fall into the "he never intended to actually win the nomination and now he's busily sabotaging himself in a panic"-theory camp watching this idiot

Honestly, I think attributing some intent to his actions over the last few weeks based on outcomes really adds a layer of explanation which isn't needed. Everything that's happened in Trump's campaign is easily accountable by the fact that he's inexperienced as a politician - he's not sabotaging himself, he's just being himself and it turns out "himself" is really bad at this politics thing.

He's conducting himself in the same manner now as he did in the primaries and he conducted himself in the primaries consistent to his business and personal history. In 2012 he was the leader of the birther movement, his pettiness and tenuous relationship with the truth is very well documented throughout his life, so his conduct now really shouldn't come as any surprise. To say he's intentionally acting this way to sabotage his campaign implies that he's acting differently now than he did a month ago or a year ago or a decade ago. He's just Trump, Trumping it up as he's always Trumped before. The only difference now is that the media coverage is both wider due to his position as a nominee and more sharp due to the media actually challenging him recently.

This pivot to the middle people were predicting would require he have some skill and experience at moderating himself but he's shown no inclination or ability to do that before and he has a recorded history of decades of public statements behind him. Maybe if he was a politician to begin with, he might have developed the skill and experience required to do this but he's not, he's a businessman with 70 years experience acting in the exact same manner.

He's not sabotaging himself. He just has no political instinct or ability and is floundering around in exactly the manner that you would expect someone without political ability to do when made the nominee of a major party.

Serrath fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 11, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

RuanGacho posted:

That money is never coming back stateside, iirc both Bush and Obama tried an amnesty for money repatriation and the results are as you would expect when the appropriate analogy is calling your stolen cell phone and asking pretty please bring my gold studded car made of bearer bonds back, please?

Luckily this is being addressed by Trump in his economic plan, e.g. give more money to these people

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Boon posted:

So I've noticed a trend on CNN is to report on a story (in this case the Rio Olympic pools turning green) and then to have the story dovetail into what the internet thinks.

I loving hate CNN so much.

so CNN wants our reckons?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQnd5ilKx2Y

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lmao Trump can't refuse praise, so he will thank the climber and send him an autographed hat or something. The next day, 10,000 noodly e-Nazis will show up to climb the tower with suction cups from an office supply store

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Serrath posted:

Honestly (and I say this as a psychologist), I think attributing some intent to his actions over the last few weeks based on outcomes really adds a layer of explanation which isn't needed. Everything that's happened in Trump's campaign is easily accountable by the fact that he's inexperienced as a politician - he's not sabotaging himself, he's just being himself and it turns out "himself" is really bad at this politics thing. ...

He's not sabotaging himself. He just has no political instinct or ability and is floundering around in exactly the manner that you would expect someone without political ability to do when made the nominee of a major party.

Agreed, I definitely don't buy the Producers theory about Cheeto Benito. He's always been a lying, obnoxious, racist shitheel, and he received basically no blowback in the primary voting, even for his worst comments. Why not just keep saying weird, attention grabbing poo poo? It's worked so far, and we're still talking about him.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Serrath posted:

Honestly, I think attributing some intent to his actions over the last few weeks based on outcomes really adds a layer of explanation which isn't needed. Everything that's happened in Trump's campaign is easily accountable by the fact that he's inexperienced as a politician - he's not sabotaging himself, he's just being himself and it turns out "himself" is really bad at this politics thing.

He's conducting himself in the same manner now as he did in the primaries and he conducted himself in the primaries consistent to his business and personal history. In 2012 he was the leader of the birthed movement, his pettiness and tenuous relationship with the truth is very well documented throughout his life, so his conduct now really shouldn't come as any surprise. To say he's intentionally acting this way to sabotage his campaign implies that he's acting differently now than he did a month ago or a year ago or a decade ago. He's just Trump, Trumping it up as he's always Trumped before. The only difference now is that the media coverage is both wider due to his position as a nominee and more sharp due to the media actually challenging him recently.

This pivot to the middle people were predicting would require he have some skill and experience at moderating himself but he's shown no inclination or ability to do that before and he has a recorded history of decades of public statements behind him. Maybe if he was a politician to begin with, he might have developed the skill and experience required to do this but he's not, he's a businessman with 70 years experience acting in the exact same manner.

this is it. there's no special plan on trump's part, he's just a chronic liar (or at the very least hides behind imprecise speech so that he can never be held accountable) and he's withering under the spotlight

i CANNOT wait for the debates

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Donkwich posted:

CNN's basically been doing that for the past 8 years or so. I remember when they were at least semi-respectable, if a little hawkish. I don't know what the gently caress they're doing now, and likely neither do they. Peak CNN was when they gave that Malaysian flight black hole theory any credence whatsoever.

Did they actually give it credence? I thought it was just Don Lemon making a dumb joke.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

Then there are those people who kind of realize that thinks are hosed up and that business and government tend to collude a lot, so they turn to libertarianism as a kind of 'babies first ideology'. Either they stay in a bubble of middle class privilege and are never challenged on the specifics of their beliefs, turning into Penn Jillette style weirdos, or, after getting hosed over by the private sector enough, they either grow out of it or evolve into radical leftists.

I might talk about this more in the toxic ideologies thread, but this was me for a couple of my teenage years, except replace middle class with impoverished and on welfare. I remember being a big fan of Ron Paul, even buying his book. Thinking about the logical conclusions of libertarianism (horrible private dictatorships, etc.), reading crazier libertarian literature (Rothbard talking about selling children) and talking with nutty libertarians online disillusioned me from continuing down the rabbit hole.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Mozi posted:

The monsters here will serve you a Natty Boh (garbage beer) in a glass rimmed with Old Bay with a lemon wedge. It's disgusting.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Serrath posted:

:words:

Yeah I guess I should have let Occam's Razor guide me, or that other old saw about attributions to malice :v:

yes I know i'm misusing the razor a little

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 11, 2016

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Popular Thug Drink posted:

this is it. there's no special plan on trump's part, he's just a chronic liar (or at the very least hides behind imprecise speech so that he can never be held accountable) and he's withering under the spotlight

This is also why all the posts about him "slipping up" and calling Hillary various derogatory names is also unlikely. If he's one thing, he's consistent; people are shocked by him because his consistency is causing him to lose by a wide margin so they look for Machiavellian, 12-d chess explanations because the idea that he's just really bad at politicking doesn't occur to them (after all, he won the primary). The problem is when you take that explanation too far and presume that he's <so> incompetent that he'll just lose it and call his opponent the c-word. He's very competent at being Trump. He's very good at hiding his speech behind imprecise language and then attacking his critics for reading one possible interpretation. He's good at this because that's what he's been doing for years, his comment about Megan Kelly "blood coming out of her whatever" wasn't a slip-up, it was Trump doing what he's good at - saying what he wants but hiding behind a thin layer of plausible deniability.

He's not going to deviate from his Trump-script; he's been consistent now for decades, the problem is just that the person he consistently is happens to be a person who is really bad at running for elected office.

Expect the debates to just be more of the same; casual dismissal of opponent arguments, half truths, puerile nicknames that brush against the border of being stunningly offensive without crossing it, and being generally boorish. Honestly, his campaign is progressing in exactly the trajectory that anyone familiar with his history could have predicted. He didn't spontaneously emerge from the ether, fully formed at 70 years of age and speaking and acting in this way; he has a lifetime of recorded speech which follows this exact, consistent pattern. And he's going to keep doing this same thing until November and he's going to keep doing it after November.

It's to deny his history to assume he'll get better (indicated by moderating his tone) or get worse (indicated by slipping up and communicating his insinuations in a direct way).

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i CANNOT wait for the debates

He isn't going to go to any debates I bet

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Serrath your title text is very wrong by the way :v:

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

cheerfullydrab posted:

The monsters here will serve you a Natty Boh (garbage beer) in a glass rimmed with Old Bay with a lemon wedge. It's disgusting.

That would be a "Boh'Tini" good sir.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

Serrath posted:

Self-sabotage and being a moron are not mutually exclusive.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Stereotype posted:

He isn't going to go to any debates I bet

He has to show to debates. The idea that he's not is beyond the pale.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

speng31b posted:

Is what you would say if it was anyone but Trump.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

remusclaw posted:

Is what you would say if it was anyone but Trump.

Trump is outlandishly dumb off the cuff, but when the concerted efforts of the party organize to tell him that he really needs to do a thing he tends to do it in at least the loosest sense (badly, making things worse for himself in the process, but still). We'll see.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

speng31b posted:

He'd definitely lose if he didn't show up to them, but he can spin it that he just doesn't trust those dastardly medias which I'm sure would look noble to his idiot supporters.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

speng31b posted:

He's been setting up a potential exit from the debates for weeks, talking about how Hillary secretly scheduled them to benefit her the most. My guess is he shows up to the first debate, gets creamed, and then refuses to go to the rest because they're "biased" against him.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I assumed the delays in debates are in spite of his efforts. I think he wants to get face to face with Hillary and tell her exactly what he thinks, which she won't be prepared for at all and be completely cowed before his glory.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Majin posted:

That would be a "Boh'Tini" good sir.

I prefer the citywide drink of the city of Philadelphia: a shot of bourbon with a tall can of PBR.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

speng31b posted:

I anticipate an entire evening of him debating a strawman via tweets from him at home during the debates, kicked off with a picture of him holding a bucket of KFC (maybe a Subway) in a La-Z-Boy watching the game.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If Trump refuses to do the debates that will be what convinces me he's just in this to lay the foundation for Trump News Network.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

There are so many ways for things to go wrong and so few ways to do things correctly. Hillary we can generally predict, because she is trying to do things correctly. Trump on the other hand, all we can really be sure of ahead of time is that he's going to gently caress up somehow.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i hope she refers to him only as Donald

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

speng31b posted:

This is Trump. Either he'll back out of the first and be bullied/laughed at until he shows up for the second, or show up for the first and then back out for the rest.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I assumed the delays in debates are in spite of his efforts. I think he wants to get face to face with Hillary and tell her exactly what he thinks, which she won't be prepared for at all and be completely cowed before his glory.

Christ that would turn the polls around :ohdear:

farfegnougat
Oct 31, 2004

Serrath posted:

He's not going to deviate from his Trump-script; he's been consistent now for decades, the problem is just that the person he consistently is happens to be a person who is really bad at running for elected office.

I see what you're saying, and for the most part, I agree. The thing I keep failing to wrap my head around, though, is this: why hasn't he learned? What I mean is, he's been on the stump for a little over a year now. He's gotten negative responses for his bluster and his outrageous statements, and not just in the past month. If anything, he's getting worse, not better. How has he not learned to control himself somewhat and avoid stepping in the poop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

farfegnougat posted:

I see what you're saying, and for the most part, I agree. The thing I keep failing to wrap my head around, though, is this: why hasn't he learned? What I mean is, he's been on the stump for a little over a year now. He's gotten negative responses for his bluster and his outrageous statements, and not just in the past month. If anything, he's getting worse, not better. How has he not learned to control himself somewhat and avoid stepping in the poop?

Because he's winning. All the people around him are saying so.

• Locked thread