Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

farfegnougat posted:

I see what you're saying, and for the most part, I agree. The thing I keep failing to wrap my head around, though, is this: why hasn't he learned? What I mean is, he's been on the stump for a little over a year now. He's gotten negative responses for his bluster and his outrageous statements, and not just in the past month. If anything, he's getting worse, not better. How has he not learned to control himself somewhat and avoid stepping in the poop?

because everyone else is wrong, he can't be wrong, he is Donald J. Trump

when you're rich you can afford to surround yourself with people who say what you want them to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

You're all somehow forgetting that Trump crushed the primary and was hailed as a political genius by many here.

The shift doesn't have anything to do with Trump, or increased media scrutiny as such. It's purely because he's now courting a different constituency (i.e. the general electorate) which are repulsed by his antics instead of attracted to them (i.e. GOP primary voters). All this stuff that's gotten him in so much trouble would have been covered differently if he'd said the exact same things in the primary, because the base would have eaten that up.

He's not withering under the spotlight, or suddenly making errors out of nowhere. He's acting the exact same as he always has, it's just that Hillary is able to actually call him out on it since she's not trying to court the racists like the rest of the GOP who were too scared to attack Trump.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

remusclaw posted:

Because he's winning. All the people around him are saying so.

Yeah he's only been really losing for like 3 weeks. And the man is 70 years old. The problem is his entire personality along with the personality disorders that run through it. It's who he is - he can't just seal it up and start acting like a normal human being because he's not.

farfegnougat
Oct 31, 2004

Popular Thug Drink posted:

when you're rich you can afford to surround yourself with people who say what you want them to say

True, but he has to read the criticism. Something has to leak through the bubble. Something has to be un-spinnable.

I don't disagree. I'm just amazed that he/his staff are able to construct such a perfect bubble that *nothing* gets through to him. It's one of those things that I get in the abstract but can't actually absorb to any meaningful extent. It's as if he's living in an alternate reality.

e: and I do get the way in which an insulated rich person can sort of create their own narrative. I suppose I just don't get how can it occur on the national stage, with so many people screaming at him that he's awful on every possible level.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Do you think he's going to live tweet election night?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It also doesn't help that he immediately disregards anyone who says otherwise. There is a multitude of people on the news right now who were his best friend while the primaries were going and who are now persona non grata. You can't tell him he isn't winning.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

weekly font posted:

I don't know but I'm already contemplating what I'll be drinking during his concession speech.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

HorseRenoir posted:

Someone made a list of specific Mormon references in that op-ed: http://juvenileinstructor.org/it-ta...ret-news-op-ed/

Whoever wrote it really did their homework.

I think the true brilliance of this is not that it's likely to tip Utah, but that Arizona and Nevada have small but significant Mormon populations as well.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Anos posted:

I don't know but I'm already contemplating what I'll be drinking during his concession speech.

Merlot 2020 vintage?

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Arcanen posted:

You're all somehow forgetting that Trump crushed the primary and was hailed as a political genius by many here.

I largely agree but I think it's also important to note that he crushed the primary by consistently winning 40% vote shares in winner-take-all states in a crowded primary field. His personality style was/is perfectly suited to a 7-person race because in such a race, the goal of being the loudest rear end in a top hat on stage is just as important as having the best policies. People talk about courting the protest vote which is true to an extent but I don't think you can discount the startling psychological effect of being the most recognisable name on a ballot consisting of 4+ politicians who are otherwise interchangeable in policy.

Which bring us to today because his style suited to winning primaries wholly underequips him to win a general election. But he won't learn and he won't pivot, not just because he's won so far so he should just keep going, but because he <can't> pivot because pivoting is a skill developed through years of developing as a politician and he's not a politician. He's just himself, he's intransigent because transience is a skill developed like any other skill and nothing in his life has required he develop or refine that skill.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

farfegnougat posted:

e: and I do get the way in which an insulated rich person can sort of create their own narrative. I suppose I just don't get how can it occur on the national stage, with so many people screaming at him that he's awful on every possible level.

it can't really, that's why he's so unhinged. he's never before had so many people laughing at him for so long before

Arcanen posted:

many here are dumb as gently caress. appeals to goons are really stupid

trump crushed the primary because the GOP is dysfunctional and cast a very wide net. if they had anointed jeb and kept the primary uncluttered instead of it being a stupid orgy of bastards then trump would have gone down. or rubio. or whoever. but nooo, the GOP couldn't decide and so the non-trump vote was split four ways

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Trump benefited incredibly from the media hanging on every stupid word because loudmouth rich trainwreck sells. Paris Hilton could have won the primary for the same reason. He could be sporting a pitchfork and tail and there are many who would vote for him because "not Hillary!" But when it comes down to who you really want in the oval office, Trump never had a chance. He'll get the redneck vote and little else. (And I don't believe he ever wanted to be president. He just went along, probably as surprised as everyone else that people were supporting him.)

All my old Army buddies say they are voting for Trump but I'd love to see their ballots because their pro-Trump Facebook postings have dwindled to non-existent since the primary.

What I don't understand is how he attracted a young following.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

farfegnougat posted:

I think it has a lot less to do with Trump being 'insulated' as it has to do with him being a man obsessed with spectacle. For him, it's less about the reality of a thing as it is about the appearance of a thing. Losers are always 'little' and winners are always 'big'. Even before the election, he had to have the biggest buildings, his name on the most things, high television ratings (i.e. the number of watchers is more important than review scores) and the appearance of having billions of dollars. He's had an outright obsession with crowds during this election, constantly remarking on the number of people in attendance at virtually every speech and flying into a fury over the fire department restricting the crowd to the agreed-upon limit. He can ignore polls because they are percentages based on a few hundred or a few thousand people and he can ignore or shrug off negative media attention because to him that is absolutely nothing compared to the raw spectacle of a large crowd of rabid fans with a few protesters mixed in (who he gets to kick out to the cheers of the crowd).

In short, in Trump's mind having the biggest and loudest crowds means he's winning and that is the purest measurement upon which he relies because it is the one most closely related to that of spectacle. Anything or anyone saying otherwise is either lying, little, a loser, and/or trying to rig the election as far as he is concerned. The size of his audience noticeable shrinking over time or a good chunk of a live audience actively booing him would almost certainly have more of an effect upon him than anything else.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

it can't really, that's why he's so unhinged. he's never before had so many people laughing at him for so long before

many here are dumb as gently caress. appeals to goons are really stupid

trump crushed the primary because the GOP is dysfunctional and cast a very wide net. if they had anointed jeb and kept the primary uncluttered instead of it being a stupid orgy of bastards then trump would have gone down. or rubio. or whoever. but nooo, the GOP couldn't decide and so the non-trump vote was split four ways

It wasn't just the GOP, it was also that specifically those individuals who were so ego-driven that each one thought "I'll be the last man standing and then I'll be able to defeat Trump when I get all of the remaining % of votes" but none of them were willing to drop out for so long that Trump just racked up the delegates. Those stupid fuckers.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Seeric posted:

I think it has a lot less to do with Trump being 'insulated' as it has to do with him being a man obsessed with spectacle. For him, it's less about the reality of a thing as it is about the appearance of a thing. Losers are always 'little' and winners are always 'big'. Even before the election, he had to have the biggest buildings, his name on the most things, high television ratings (i.e. the number of watchers is more important than review scores) and the appearance of having billions of dollars. He's had an outright obsession with crowds during this election, constantly remarking on the number of people in attendance at virtually every speech and flying into a fury over the fire department restricting the crowd to the agreed-upon limit. He can ignore polls because they are percentages based on a few hundred or a few thousand people and he can ignore or shrug off negative media attention because to him that is absolutely nothing compared to the raw spectacle of a large crowd of rabid fans with a few protesters mixed in (who he gets to kick out to the cheers of the crowd).

In short, in Trump's mind having the biggest and loudest crowds means he's winning and that is the purest measurement upon which he relies because it is the one most closely related to that of spectacle. Anything or anyone saying otherwise is either lying, little, a loser, and/or trying to rig the election as far as he is concerned. The size of his audience noticeable shrinking over time or a good chunk of a live audience actively booing him would almost certainly have more of an effect upon him than anything else.

This can also provide a good counter-argument for Trump criticizing the timing of the debates. It's possible that his complaints about their scheduling alongside NFL games isn't laying the foundation for him to get out of them, it's him being legitimately upset that something else might get higher ratings than him. He's so convinced of his own rhetorical ability and intelligence that he thinks he's going to win the debates, and win big, and he wants as many people to watch them as possible, just like how he was always obsessed with saying The Apprentice was the #1 show on TV (it wasn't). He wants the biggest audience, he wants the highest ratings. He wants everybody in the country and everybody in the world to tune in and watch him beat Crooked Hillary live with his amazing intellect and astounding rhetoric. In this paradigm he would be genuinely angry that there were NFL games scheduled at the same time because that would draw away viewers and might even mean something else gets higher ratings than his amazing debate performance. And in his mind where Hillary is bad and corrupt and everyone knows he's the best and everyone knows he'll demolish her in a debate because he's the best, it's somehow Hillary Clinton's fault that the NFL scheduled the games at those times, because she's intentionally trying to get low ratings for the debate so that fewer people will see him beat her.

Note that I'm building on a Slate article for this theory: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/08/why_is_donald_trump_so_obsessed_with_tv_ratings.html

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Dinesh D'Souza's stupid turd of a Hillary documentary is the gift the keeps on giving: Brad Jones is now sending the rest of his film review crew to see it.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Despite Trump being absurdly easy to read none of the GOP managed to mount a coherent attack against him during the primary debates. poo poo like "New York values" lines were so bland and half assed it was embarrassing. All his mugging about being amazing in the debates was only because everyone was slow pitching at him for whatever reason. Dunno if they were all just that terrible (Rubio and Cruz) or just afraid of pissing of Trump/his supporters.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

farfegnougat posted:

True, but he has to read the criticism. Something has to leak through the bubble. Something has to be un-spinnable.

I don't disagree. I'm just amazed that he/his staff are able to construct such a perfect bubble that *nothing* gets through to him. It's one of those things that I get in the abstract but can't actually absorb to any meaningful extent. It's as if he's living in an alternate reality.

He definitely sees it, because it never fails to send him into a rage on Twitter. The problem is that, to him, anyone who criticizes him is part of the Dishonest Media, and is doing so because they hold a grudge towards him (even if they've spontaneously grown a grudge in the last few hours) and not because he's actually done something heinous that should trigger him to stop and reflect on what he's done.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
re: the NFL games scheduled during debate thing, aren't there games most nights of the week? and especially on the weekend

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

weekly font posted:

I hope he tweets out that he "didn't lose [state] - a made up story by "low ratings" @cnn." after every single state that is called for Hillary. Also that he goes to the grave refusing to ever admit that he lost New York and California. Just any time someone states or implies he lost them, he calls them a liar and insists he won them bigly.

re: the NFL games scheduled during debate thing, aren't there games most nights of the week? and especially on the weekend

Of course, that's why it's a dastardly plan by the Hillary debate commission. They've been working for years to get the NFL on almost every day of the week, just to help Hillary.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Prime Time there are NFL games scheduled on Sunday, Monday, and Thursday. There are also college games on Saturday (and I think some on Wednesday but not many people watch them).

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
He's losing it. https://twitter.com/sopandeb/status/763534536470892544

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I think the true brilliance of this is not that it's likely to tip Utah, but that Arizona and Nevada have small but significant Mormon populations as well.

Speaking of Arizona: https://youtu.be/VNk-cTbipkg

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's basically impossible to schedule anything so that it conflicts with nothing, which is the reason that a lot of losing campaigns love to go to this well to drum up a conspiracy narrative.

You can usually get them to shut up if you ask them for recommendations, but with Clinton this far ahead at the moment I liked her approach of releasing a statement saying "these dates are fine but I'm sure my worthless cowardly idiot of an opponent will bitch"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

WELP

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Gyges posted:

I hope he tweets out that he "didn't lose [state] - a made up story by "low ratings" @cnn." after every single state that is called for Hillary. Also that he goes to the grave refusing to ever admit that he lost New York and California. Just any time someone states or implies he lost them, he calls them a liar and insists he won them bigly.

Of course, that's why it's a dastardly plan by the Hillary debate commission. They've been working for years to get the NFL on almost every day of the week, just to help Hillary.

I'm too lazy to find the tweet, but someone said there's going to be a point in time when Trump looks a reporter in the eye and says he never ran for president. That's totally gonna loving happen.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

i just saw the same thing and I can't really believe it's real. This is like the eighth time this election has jumped the realm of the believable for me, though

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Malia Obama was caught blazing one at a festival lol.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Choom Gang, Jr.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Stereotype posted:

He isn't going to go to any debates I bet

On the news this morning of the stories was about how he said he'd do the debates but might renegotiate them like he did the primaries.

So yeah, Trump is definitely looking to back out of the debates. We've already had him make the dumb "THEY'RE UP AGAINST NFL GAMES!!!!" statement, among others. The only thing that would be better would be if Trump tries to back out because of the NFL games and the NFL goes "you know what, we'll reschedule a game so that you can get to a debate, don't worry" just to troll him.

Anos posted:

Christ that would turn the polls around :ohdear:

If there's one thing we can be sure of, it's that Hilary Clinton isn't going to be cowed by Donald loving Trump.

Anos posted:

Sounds like you're going to be sober on election night.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Arcanen posted:

The shift doesn't have anything to do with Trump, or increased media scrutiny as such. It's purely because he's now courting a different constituency (i.e. the general electorate) which are repulsed by his antics instead of attracted to them (i.e. GOP primary voters). All this stuff that's gotten him in so much trouble would have been covered differently if he'd said the exact same things in the primary, because the base would have eaten that up.

He's not withering under the spotlight, or suddenly making errors out of nowhere. He's acting the exact same as he always has, it's just that Hillary is able to actually call him out on it since she's not trying to court the racists like the rest of the GOP who were too scared to attack Trump.

We call this the "Political Manziel"

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Remember the story about Trump getting stuck in an elevator in Colorado Springs? Turns out, a member of his own entourage did it :cawg:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bushiz posted:

We call this the "Political Manziel"

Not least of all because the downfall began in Cleveland

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

WHAT

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

You loving liberals twisting every word Trump says.
If you read the full speech and context you would find out he actually meant Hillary created ISIS.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

This is not the pivot I expected

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Could you imagine having to make that delivery. An armed secret service officer stops you and asks what you're carrying and you have to tell him the presidents daughter asked for a twenty sack.

Also, very important question, if malia went crowd surfing after smoking that joint, would the secret service agent have to go crowd surfing with her?

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 11, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How. How do you do this.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

vyelkin posted:

This can also provide a good counter-argument for Trump criticizing the timing of the debates. It's possible that his complaints about their scheduling alongside NFL games isn't laying the foundation for him to get out of them, it's him being legitimately upset that something else might get higher ratings than him. He's so convinced of his own rhetorical ability and intelligence that he thinks he's going to win the debates, and win big, and he wants as many people to watch them as possible, just like how he was always obsessed with saying The Apprentice was the #1 show on TV (it wasn't). He wants the biggest audience, he wants the highest ratings. He wants everybody in the country and everybody in the world to tune in and watch him beat Crooked Hillary live with his amazing intellect and astounding rhetoric. In this paradigm he would be genuinely angry that there were NFL games scheduled at the same time because that would draw away viewers and might even mean something else gets higher ratings than his amazing debate performance. And in his mind where Hillary is bad and corrupt and everyone knows he's the best and everyone knows he'll demolish her in a debate because he's the best, it's somehow Hillary Clinton's fault that the NFL scheduled the games at those times, because she's intentionally trying to get low ratings for the debate so that fewer people will see him beat her.

Note that I'm building on a Slate article for this theory: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/08/why_is_donald_trump_so_obsessed_with_tv_ratings.html

The obsession with spectacle above all else explains why he doesn't bother to so much as pretend he has any actual plans for running the nation beyond making it easier for rich guys to operate and racist screeds. He never had to think about those kind of things before. He just attracted primary voters by being the biggest, loudest thing around and allowed them to project their own crazy ideals on him. The Republicans strategically molded their supporters to be gulliable zealots for decades, but didn't count on a much more blatant con-man walking up and taking their rubes while they were still backstabbing each other. They made it easy for Trump to take over. Fortunately, that same tactic doesn't work when brought up on the national scale, but Trump has no idea how to do anything else.

Trump has no real vision or message. He has no intention to actually lead the nation. Hell, he couldn't even comprehend what it takes to do the job and has no patience to learn it. All that matters is gaining as much attention as possible. He can't see the election as anything beyond a popularity contest. When he gets angry about the media "misrepresenting" him or rants that he's being cheated out of votes, he really believes it because he's not being allowed to be the idol he believes he's entitled to be. It's why he can't be prevented form jumping into slapfights on Twitter or listen to any actual strategists. He thinks this is no different than his usual marketing and believes he is the king of marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

happyhippy posted:

You loving liberals twisting every word Trump says.
If you read the full speech and context you would find out he actually meant Hillary created ISIS.

he called her the co-founder:

https://twitter.com/alivitali/status/763537494755438592

ugh sorry that is slightly wrong, just click the link in that tweet

• Locked thread