Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
45 minutes til the panel, so no surprise that we haven't heard anything yet. Hopefully it's more than just a lovely teaser trailer again. Casting pretty much has to be in the final stages by now if they hope to start filming later this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ogmius815 posted:

I think The Outrageous Okona is the second worst episode of TNG. But unlike the worst episode, Code of Honor, it has some redeeming value and you should watch it once.

It has the bit where Worf and the Rocketeer blatantly flirt, that's good.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Ogmius815 posted:

Am I alone in having basically no hope that this new series is any good or that it lasts longer than a few episodes?

I was optimistic initially when they announced who was working on it but that pissweak teaser took the wind out of it's sails for me. It could still be very good even if it's low budget since it's not like the technology to put together a Trek show is expensive these days, and historically Trek trailers and teasers have been pretty shoddy but at this point I'm not holding my breath.

On the other hand if it does turn out well then I'll be pleasantly surprised

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

People are going to expect some pretty drat good special effects too. If it looks worse than a show on Syfy, there will be hell to pay.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So i'm just digging into the backgrounds of why certain people came onboard and left TNG and i'm a bit confused on Wil Wheaton. He's got some official response that he left for movies and was dicked around with the first episode of the season he left where it was supposed to be "all about him" but then he was written out of it.

The problem is that he leaves in season 4 and the first episode of that was the 2nd part of Best of both worlds and that was clearly never going to be "all about him".

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Which is then followed by Family, which is one-third about Wesley's dead dad, one third about Worf understanding human culture as well as he understands Klingon culture, and one third about Picard's lovely brother.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

People are going to expect some pretty drat good special effects too. If it looks worse than a show on Syfy, there will be hell to pay.

I was watching Dark Matter (out of boredom I assure you) last Friday when I got to thinking that nobody's done anything interesting with space battles since nuBSG. In the show I was watching it was the same standard "little bolts of coloured light smack into one model or the other, cut to the cast shaking and the lights dimming" type poo poo, shields at 47% and so on. It's not the mid 90's any more, without a wider context at least that poo poo's not going to work for anybody. (Nether is doing the same loving thing but shaking the camera around and loving with the colour filters and lens flares in post) I mean that angle was played out even when they hung the "yuk yuk, isn't this just like Star Trek?" hat on it on the Stargate shows.

So when the first teaser comes out looking like a cheapskate movie tie-in console game from 07, it inspires little confidence

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I thought he requested he be let go for awhile to act in some films but was convinced to stay on because the producers told him they had an important character arc for Wesley and a more prominent role. Only to keep him in the background for the most part.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Kazinsal posted:

Which is then followed by Family, which is one-third about Wesley's dead dad, one third about Worf understanding human culture as well as he understands Klingon culture, and one third about Picard's lovely brother.

One of the dumbest things about Generations is that it kills off Picard's family from that episode. Generations was all about killing characters terribly I guess.

Edit: what movies was loving Will Wheaton going to do at that point anyway? He didn't grow up that well.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

One of the dumbest things about Generations is that it kills off Picard's family from that episode. Generations was all about killing characters terribly I guess.

And establishing that the Enterprise is lit like a submarine.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

And establishing that the Enterprise is lit like a submarine.

They had to do something to hide how poor the ship looked in high def on the big screen.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tighclops posted:

I was watching Dark Matter (out of boredom I assure you) last Friday when I got to thinking that nobody's done anything interesting with space battles since nuBSG. In the show I was watching it was the same standard "little bolts of coloured light smack into one model or the other, cut to the cast shaking and the lights dimming" type poo poo, shields at 47% and so on. It's not the mid 90's any more, without a wider context at least that poo poo's not going to work for anybody. (Nether is doing the same loving thing but shaking the camera around and loving with the colour filters and lens flares in post) I mean that angle was played out even when they hung the "yuk yuk, isn't this just like Star Trek?" hat on it on the Stargate shows.

So when the first teaser comes out looking like a cheapskate movie tie-in console game from 07, it inspires little confidence

To be honest on DM, the showrunner has mentioned he has something like 1/4 the budget he had on Stargate and that was a decade ago. But I agree, same ol'.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

News:

quote:

Producer Bryan Fuller has announced that his upcoming CBS All Access series “Star Trek: Discovery” is set to have a female lead, a role that he adds could potentially go to a woman of color as reportedly all women seen for the role so far have been either African American or Hispanic.

CBS Television Studios is in the process of casting the role so sadly there will be no announcement of who will be involved in the show at today’s CBS presentation during the Television Critics Association summer press tour.

So far the various Trek series have had numerous female starship captains in guest star or recurring roles, while Kate Mulgrew’s Captain Kathryn Janeway “Star Trek: Voyager” became the franchise’s first female lead. Avery Brooks’ Captain Benjamin Sisko on “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” was the first African American to lead a “Star Trek” series.

A non-white female lead however has not been done on Trek before and as has been suggested, the lead role in ‘Discovery’ is not necessarily a captain. Shooting on the series is set to begin in two months under the helm of David Semel, with make-up tests currently underway – check out one that Fuller tweeted about this week. The first episode is slated to premiere in January.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/star-trek-discovery-to-have-a-female-lead/

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Ogmius815 posted:

I'm still irrationally angry that they killed Lursa and B'Etor in that piece of poo poo.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Ogmius815 posted:

I really like Malcolm McDowell's "They say time is the fire in which we burn" line.

Which winds up being entirely tone deaf when Picard's family burns in a very literal fire. It's a fun line but drat the writing needed a good editor.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

To be honest on DM, the showrunner has mentioned he has something like 1/4 the budget he had on Stargate and that was a decade ago. But I agree, same ol'.

Yeah, but like you say regardless of the budget it's the same ol'. The guy could have the same money he had on SGU, the set design would probably less resemble the cardboard box spaceships I made when I was a little kid but fundamentally what would be different? A few more seconds of CGI maybe?

I wonder if they'll try to score Angela Bassett like somebody (I forget who) was saying they wanted to awhile back

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Ogmius815 posted:

Edit: what movies was loving Will Wheaton going to do at that point anyway? He didn't grow up that well.

No he didn't but at the time when he was on TNG he was considered a big enough deal to get some offers. Though it didn't pan out for him, he was in the cinematic masterpiece that was the Flubber remake.

He broke new ground as the whiny son of a main character.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There's going to be absolute hell if they end up casting a white actress after that statement.

Baka-nin posted:

No he didn't but at the time when he was on TNG he was considered a big enough deal to get some offers. Though it didn't pan out for him, he was in the cinematic masterpiece that was the Flubber remake.

He broke new ground as the whiny son of a main character.

He's hilarious when he's a smarmy rear end in a top hat and thus easily the best part of The Big Bang Theory. He needs to do more roles like that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

WickedHate posted:

There's going to be absolute hell if they end up casting a white actress after that statement.

He's hilarious when he's a smarmy rear end in a top hat and thus easily the best part of The Big Bang Theory. He needs to do more roles like that.

He's a smarmy rear end in a top hat on Dark Matter too, neckbeard and all.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They're not filming until October???

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Apparently Fuller clarified that the lead may not be a captain.

also this:

https://twitter.com/TrekMovie/status/763525807708831744

just a wild guess but...maybe the Tomed Incident?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

GreenNight posted:

He's a smarmy rear end in a top hat on Dark Matter too, neckbeard and all.

I never saw him in Eureka but apparently he considers that to be one of his best roles.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently Fuller clarified that the lead may not be a captain.

also this:

https://twitter.com/TrekMovie/status/763525807708831744

just a wild guess but...maybe the Tomed Incident?

Treaty of Algeron?

e: wait, same thing.

The trailer did have a cloaking sound in it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Never mind, they've confirmed it takes place 10 years prior to TOS.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

quote:

the lead role in ‘Discovery’ is not necessarily a captain

:what:

I guess it could be about the end of the Romulan War or something, but in that case they'd better goddamn well have NX's and a cameo from Idris Elba...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Astroman posted:

:what:

I guess it could be about the end of the Romulan War or something, but in that case they'd better goddamn well have NX's and a cameo from Idris Elba...
They're saying she will be a Lt. Commander

lol the Axanar supporters are freaking out because apparently this may be set right when that show would have been going on?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Baka-nin posted:

*My personal favourite Archer moment is in the Vulcan monastery episode. The Andorians beat him to a pulp not once but twice, and he still sides with them over the Vulcans at the end of the episode.

Solid episode. Have to watch it now that you've mentioned it.

Such a great cold open.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

10 years prior to the start of the Five-Year Mission is 2255; there isn't much listed as happening besides Kirk kicking around as a junior officer and the Treaty of Armens.

There's storytelling potential in that event, but it's probably more significant that "The Cage" occurs the year before.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 11, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
When did Pike's accident happen in the Prime universe?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Could be one of the Fed-Klingon brushfire wars.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cross-Section posted:

10 years prior to the start of the Five-Year Mission is 2255; there isn't much listed as happening besides Kirk kicking around as a junior officer and the Treaty of Armens.

There's storytelling potential in that event, but it's probably more significant that "The Cage" occurs the year before.

drat, I want the Sheliak.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apparently because we're paying, CBS has announced they will be generously limiting commercials for All Access shows like Discovery to 12 minutes/hour. Well, that's certainly worth a subscription fee!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Well he said it was something that was 'talked about but not seen', which you would think would narrow it down. A lot of the stuff between Enterprise-TOS is non-canon so not a lot comes to mind for me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Just the facts, ma'am.

- Will be set in the Prime Universe. 10 years before Kirk's 5-year mission. Prequel Confirmed.

- Fuller says Star Trek: Discovery takes events mentioned in previous iterations of Trek but "never full explored" (

- Incident at the center of Star Trek: Discovery is not the Romulan War, Fuller says]

- Star Trek: Discovery to have Female lead

- Female lead will be human, but not captain

- The first season will be 13 episodes

- Fuller: “We’ll probably have a

- "Absolutely we're having a gay character." - Bryan Fuller

- Will be serialized but each weekly chapter will also feature closed-end stories

- Discovery is set so close to the Kirk era that we can play with all the iconography of those ships and those uniforms.”

- Fuller: "We are not subject to broadcast standards & practices. Neither was Hannibal and we got away with murder."

- Spock's mother Amanda Grayson "maybe" will be featured in Discovery but will not be central.

- Bryan Fuller on the lead not being a captain: "We’ve seen 6 series from a captain’s point of view

CBS All Access information

- There will be ads. about 12 minutes per hour.

- Head of CBS All Access: "It’s the lightest ad load you can get. We’re toying with the idea of a commercial free option."

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
How gracious of them. Seeing as how most of the recent episodes ran for 47ish minutes anyways I'd hate to see what the normal commercial rate is.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I think I like the idea of a Lt. Commander lead character who rises to Captain over the course of the series, or inherits the position in some kind of Stargazer-like catastrophe, especially if they take the time to fully establish all those doomed senior officers first.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Not the first time. Sisko started as a Lt. Cmdr on the Saratoga then went all the way to Captain of the Defiant.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/TheEricGoldman/status/763533087867142144

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
He was a commander for the first season or so on the station though, wasn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah, I wonder if Fuller meant the whole "not a captain" bit strictly in regards to rank, and it's more an affair of "give the lovely pizza cutter ship to the Lt. Cmdr because *reasons*"