Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

WickedHate posted:

He was a commander for the first season or so on the station though, wasn't he?

Nope first 3 seasons as a Commander. You don't have to be a Captain to be a CO.

Also glad to hear no Section 31. Its an interesting angle but it got a bit much shoving it into Enterprise and Into Darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

FlamingLiberal posted:

They're saying she will be a Lt. Commander

lol the Axanar supporters are freaking out because apparently this may be set right when that show would have been going on?

Good, Axanar should suffer.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Maybe she's the head of the away team department. Like, when they find a dangerous new planet, they beam down these folks who have "away team" as their entire job description, rather than sending the entire senior staff down to be killed.

And maybe she fucks it up badly enough that all the ship captains decide to just do it all themselves, for the next century.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

That's pretty much Elite Force.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Powered Descent posted:

Maybe she's the head of the away team department. Like, when they find a dangerous new planet, they beam down these folks who have "away team" as their entire job description, rather than sending the entire senior staff down to be killed.

And maybe she fucks it up badly enough that all the ship captains decide to just do it all themselves, for the next century.

That was the original idea behind Riker.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

CBS All Access information

- There will be ads. about 12 minutes per hour.

- Head of CBS All Access: "It’s the lightest ad load you can get. We’re toying with the idea of a commercial free option."

They literally have no idea why people pay for these services. I get that ads are a revenue stream, but if you can't do ad free based on your pricing, your price structure is wrong or your USP is not good enough to draw customers.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It drives me insane that Netflix can do ad-free no problem, but somehow the big networks have to include ads even when you are paying (this and Hulu specifically)

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Gaz-L posted:

They literally have no idea why people pay for these services. I get that ads are a revenue stream, but if you can't do ad free based on your pricing, your price structure is wrong or your USP is not good enough to draw customers.

I pay for Hulu with no ads and I think it's worth it. I would not pay for a service where I also had to watch ads, not even once. This poo poo is destined to fail.

Powered Descent posted:

The Star Fleet guys call these "Prime Teams" and it's a cool concept I can get behind.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Powered Descent posted:

This or maybe something like what BSG was doing with Lee Adama as the CAG. Probably more likely that she'll be a bridge officer though. My bet's on helmsman.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

It drives me insane that Netflix can do ad-free no problem, but somehow the big networks have to include ads even when you are paying (this and Hulu specifically)

Or even have a slightly pricier no-ads version (pushed as the main price point) and a cheaper with-ads option.

Or go all in and put one of the big guns, a Big Bang Theory or NCIS on there and trust that those shows have loyal enough audiences that you'll get enough subs to cover the cost.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
How have they not cast this poo poo yet

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I love Star Trek, I really do. I would love to support this, but gently caress CBS All Access.

I'm waiting till it's done, getting my free month, then binging it.

I'm not paying (essentially) $25 to watch one show and 2 and a half hours worth of ads.

The service is horrible too. Image quality is terrible (particularly the framerate) and it's only 2 channel audio.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm so bored of the TOS era.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

I'm more irritated that it's only set ten years before TOS. That seems very limited for a setting. Do 50 years before TOS or 100 years after TNG or literally anything other than 10 years before TOS.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm more irritated that it's only set ten years before TOS. That seems very limited for a setting. Do 50 years before TOS or 100 years after TNG or literally anything other than 10 years before TOS.

Bryan Fuller has a reason, and it will not be boring.

Will it be good? Who is to say at this time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I was more interested if they had actually done something between TUC-TNG, but it's possible that if this CBS thing continues they could set a new crew during that period.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Gaz-L posted:

Or even have a slightly pricier no-ads version (pushed as the main price point) and a cheaper with-ads option.

Or go all in and put one of the big guns, a Big Bang Theory or NCIS on there and trust that those shows have loyal enough audiences that you'll get enough subs to cover the cost.

Wait, are they not releasing new episodes to the streaming service? Why the hell would you subscribe to it?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean put BBT or NCIS on there EXCLUSIVELY. So you have to subscribe or not see those shows.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Was there a rumor or did they say that they'd do a different story entirely every season, possibly in different eras? That's the only way 10 years before TOS isn't a huge disappointment.

That close to the other series I can't imagine it won't be full of references and continuity... and that's a terrible basis for a new Star Trek. "Playing with the iconography" of that era is the last thing I want out of this.

Enterprise was fine because it was early enough that they could do their own thing between knowing winks (they could, but that doesn't mean they did as often as they should), but Discovery can't really be original because they've made themselves so beholden to continuity just with the setting.

I guess it's partially because the TNG era is what I grew up with and am nostalgic for, but TOS stuff has never been "legendary" to me. I don't even get much of a fanboy thing from references to that setting.

That said, everything else sounds neat and intriguing, and I actually like the ship design. I'm still pretty much just thrilled to have more Star Trek on TV.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Eiba posted:

That said, everything else sounds neat and intriguing, and I actually like the ship design. I'm still pretty much just thrilled to have more Star Trek on TV.

Echoing this. I am excited for the new series if only because it brings news to Star Trek other than "this cast member has died."

For example, Admiral Ross (Barry Jenner) died today.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

I mean put BBT or NCIS on there EXCLUSIVELY. So you have to subscribe or not see those shows.

Hahahaha, that would get someone insta-fired just for suggesting it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

Which says a lot about them doing it with Discovery.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maybe something to do with Rigel VII? Aren't there references to a nasty conflict between its people in The Cage?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WampaLord posted:

Oh, I know, but unless you're going to do that, or price it so no ads is an option, it's painfully clear they want the Netflix money without actually having to risk anything, and thus setting themselves up to fail. Why would you pay for what is basically the same product you can get on regular TV and Hulu.

Timby posted:

Maybe something to do with Rigel VII? Aren't there references to a nasty conflict between its people in The Cage?

The Rigellians or Orions would make some sense.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
This wasn't confirmed, so salt at the ready, but apparently there are casting calls for the following:

An openly gay actor to play a male lead
A female admiral
A male Klingon captain
A male advisor
A male British doctor

Fuller also said to expect roughly 7 main characters.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So, it might be a Klingon co-operation thing after huh? That'd be interesting.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Unless the Klingon is the main villain ala Dukat

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ah, yeah, there's that too I guess.

It's funny how Klingons were the stereotypical villains in all the parodies and stuff of Star Trek, but they were only in like, three episodes and the antagonist of one incredibly mediocre movie.

There's Klingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow...

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

A male British doctor

Hmmmm....

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Evek posted:

Hmmmm....

I know, right? I thought that too, but it's such an obvious thing to point out...aw, what the hell, I'll say it: We already had a British doctor with Bashir.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just have Michael Dorn play Worfs great-grandfather and bam instant ratings.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Why would you pay for what is basically the same product you can get on regular TV and Hulu.

They've heard that nerds are:

A) Die-hard fans who will do whatever they have to in order to watch something
B) Full of disposable income
C) Good with technology and are cord-cutters

and they did the executive math.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

GreenNight posted:

Just have Michael Dorn play Worfs great-grandfather and bam instant ratings.

Does that mean he finally gets his yacht?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Discovery still has an accent quota to fill, so I want to see a German chief engineer and an Aussie weapons officer. Lack of accents is why Voyager sucked and why Geordi couldn't keep the enterprise from loving up every week.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 11, 2016

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Big Mean Jerk posted:

A male British doctor

WickedHate posted:

I know, right? I thought that too, but it's such an obvious thing to point out...aw, what the hell, I'll say it: We already had a British doctor with Bashir.

Well, Bashir was a black British doctor, so they could be fresh and pick a white British doctor

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

A Welsh doctor where no one knows what the gently caress he is saying so everyone just agrees with him all the time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WampaLord posted:

They've heard that nerds are:

A) Die-hard fans who will do whatever they have to in order to watch something
B) Full of disposable income
C) Good with technology and are cord-cutters

and they did the executive math.

D) Know how to get around geoblocking so will just watch it on Netflix with their girlfriend's password?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it would be hilarious if they at least once say something that proves Axanar never happened. 10 years before TOS seems like it could be sort of lame but I guess we'll see. With a non captain main character, what are the odds that stupid nerds get real mad about it and start petitions to either make the captain a main character or make the main character be a captain?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

I know. Why don't they dare going past the DS9 in the timeline? Seriously, what are they afraid of?

It's not as if the universe was left in a shape that wrapped everything up neatly. Hell, with the way the other series ended, it's even more open ended before with whole other quadrants to explore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Blazing Ownager posted:

I know. Why don't they dare going past the DS9 in the timeline? Seriously, what are they afraid of?

It's not as if the universe was left in a shape that wrapped everything up neatly. Hell, with the way the other series ended, it's even more open ended before with whole other quadrants to explore.

I mean if I had my way they'd just keep making 24th century shows forever. I'd be a terrible network executive.