Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

GreenNight posted:

A Welsh doctor where no one knows what the gently caress he is saying so everyone just agrees with him all the time.

This but only if he insists on live-streaming the Wales v England rugby match and gets drunk off his rear end and then suddenly an accident requires him to perform surgery at halftime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Well, Bashir was a black British doctor, so they could be fresh and pick a white British doctor

Despite being half-black in reality, he was suposed to be Asian in DS9.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
TOS is easily the most recognizable of all the tv series, this year is the 50th anniversary, and setting something around TOS doesn't require the audience to have any extra knowledge or awareness of the post-DS9 universe. Just toss in some Klingons, Vulcans, and Andorians and most casual viewers will recognize it. It's personally disappointing, but not entirely unexpected. I wouldn't be surprised if the setting was a network mandate and Fuller worked from there.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Velisarius posted:

Despite being half-black in reality, he was suposed to be Asian in DS9.

And by Asian you mean South Asian, right? I assume you're British and would call Harry Kim an Oriental.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Ten years before TOS means there's basically no way they can do sets that don't either look completely dated or invalidate TOS. And that glowing blue deflector dish is completely anachronistic. But oh well, I'll take some new Trek however I can get it. I'd also much rather see something post-DS9/VOY or movie-era/pre-TNG, but not enough to not watch the new show.

Conveniently 10 years before TNG puts it one year after The Cage according to Memory Alpha, meaning they can just barely get away with having phasers and redshirts.

Eiba posted:

Was there a rumor or did they say that they'd do a different story entirely every season, possibly in different eras? That's the only way 10 years before TOS isn't a huge disappointment.
They said that was just a rumor, and not happening.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

On the other hand, I wouldn't have much faith or interest in a show set post-Voyager unless they majorly change up the formula somehow. The only thing I can possibly see as worth a look would be post-catastrophe of some kind so the tech isn't completely out of control. That well is so dry it hurts.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They're too loving cheap to do anything post Voyager. TOS era means they don't need to really invent anything or come up with cool new technologies. gently caress since it's the prime timeline they don't even need to introduce tech from nu-Spock.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

GreenNight posted:

They're too loving cheap to do anything post Voyager. TOS era means they don't need to really invent anything or come up with cool new technologies. gently caress since it's the prime timeline they don't even need to introduce tech from nu-Spock.

Wait. I thought it was JJ timeline?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ogmius815 posted:

Wait. I thought it was JJ timeline?

No, they said it was Prime. Although looks like it's pre-split now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
This is probably sacrilege, but I can't stand the Cage-era phasers, communicators, or uniforms. Hopefully DSC doesn't draw too much from that era.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well, it's between Kelvin and Cage, so they might draw from the former.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
No it's not pre-split. They said 10 years before TOS, which means 2255ish.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apollodorus posted:

No it's not pre-split. They said 10 years before TOS, which means 2255ish.

Oh yeah, derp.

Prime Timeline it is!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

At this point I hope it will be in the JJ timeline, because they're gonna gently caress up canon of that era to hell and gone.

Things we won't see:

These uniforms:

Or these:

Or a bridge that looks like this:

Or Klingons that look like this:

And nobody is gonna wanna futz around with lasers and wimpy old Starfleet ships of Pike's era that are clearly not as advanced as what we're used to seeing. I mean, I want to believe that Fuller and Nick Meyer will respect the history, but I've been burned before on Enterprise, even though towards the end they did a lot to start dovetailing the history and look and feel into TOS. I just can't see CBS wanting to see a series that doesn't look like JJ Trek, all shiny and new and futuristic. Retrofuturism is not something to hang your hat on.

So gently caress it, set it in the Kelvin Timeline.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This got covered up by con news but so long Admiral Ross, you were the one competent admiral (and no more evil than Sisko).

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I'm curious what drew Fuller to this, as I heard an interview with him from 2013-14 where he goes off on a profanity-laden rant about never working with CBS in a million years, working with CBS is like dying, don't go to CBS if you don't want to write procedurals for old people, etc. etc. (It's seriously like 5 minutes long and he calls them loving idiots multiple times.)

"Yo do Star Trek" is definitely a big draw, but there must have been something in it like a degree of freedom from the network or a story he really wanted to do.

He also talked about a non-white female lead back then and more aliens, so clearly it's something he's been thinking about for a while.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Fuller really wants to do Star Trek. He pitched CBS a Star Trek series back in, like, 2009 I think

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The first season will be all about early Starfleet fighting other species over ownership of the Weed Planet.

Also, the Weed Planet is in the same system as a Nazi Planet. Expect hijinks to ensue.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"Our planet is completely filled with gay people and we all smoke weed all the time" *winks into camera*

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
https://twitter.com/TheEricGoldman/status/763524020197220352

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

quote:

"We're constantly looking at it and saying no, because the TNG HD releases didn't sell 300,000,000 units each"

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 11, 2016

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Make the remasters exclusive to All Access for a year before a staggered Blu-Ray release. Pay me now CBS. But God the amount of work that DS9 would need is pretty serious.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
DS9 in HD would be the worst investment ever for CBS.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Well, they're pushing All Access pretty hard for a new Trek series so we already know they're pretty poo poo when it comes to money.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Admiral Ross died

quote:

Barry Jenner, a veteran actor known for his roles on Dallas, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and Family Matters, died Tuesday in Los Angeles after a battle with acute myeloid leukemia. He was 75.

The official Star Trek website noted that Jenner — who played Admiral William Ross in a dozen episodes during the sixth and seventh seasons of Deep Space Nine, as well as in a video game — was “a popular figure on the convention circuit.”

The Philadelphia-born Jenner played the Ewing family’s doctor (and love interest for Sue Ellen) in 25 episodes of Dallas from season 7 to season 9, and would later appear in 18 episodes of Family Matters as Lieutenant Murtaugh. His resume also includes such credits as Hart to Hart, Knots Landing, Fame, Simon & Simon, Highway to Heaven, St. Elsewhere, Family Ties, Falcon Crest, Matlock, Silk Stalkings, Something So Right, and JAG. He often popped up on The $10,000 Pyramid as a celebrity guest.

Born in Philadelphia, Jenner counted among his other credits Another World, Knots Landing, Dallas, Highway to Heaven, Looker, Hart to Hart, V: The Series, Family Matters, Walker: Texas Ranger, JAG, Enough Said and, if IMDB is accurate, an upcoming film called The Caretaker. He also was a frequent celebrity guest on the game shows Super Password and The $10,000 Pyramid.

Jenner is survived by his wife, Suzanne Hunt.

:(

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Ogmius815 posted:

I mean if I had my way they'd just keep making 24th century shows forever. I'd be a terrible network executive.

I'd be down with this.

Honestly, I don't really care what era it's set in, but I like that's it close enough to another show to pull in some continuity. If you're going to have a shared universe then have a shared universe, don't be a baby and set your show so far apart from everything else that it has only a tenuous connection to it. If that's the direction you want to go in, then just man up and make it a real reboot. The half-measure time travel bullshit in JJTrek still bugs the hell out of me as a device for splitting from the prime universe because it was completely unnecessary to have a split at all.

What I'd actually love to see (but what will never happen) is for a Star Trek show to take the approach that Rebels is taking with Star Wars. Pull in the good parts of old canon, make them work in a cohesive fashion, and then just discard or ignore the rest.

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

And by Asian you mean South Asian, right? I assume you're British and would call Harry Kim an Oriental.

An oddly hostile response, but yes. Or yellow.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I would be really excited for a show in this period if I believed for one second the look or feel of it would be period appropriate instead of unlivable and fugly like so much modern pop sci fi design

STD is Enterprise until proven innocent, won't get fooled again

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Tighclops posted:

I would be really excited for a show in this period if I believed for one second the look or feel of it would be period appropriate instead of unlivable and fugly like so much modern pop sci fi design

Except that Enterprise was good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The_Doctor posted:

I'm so bored of the TOS era.

Yeah I'm not looking forward to it. The only thing I'd want to see in that general era is the Romulan War. I feel like they're trying to convince everyone how good TOS era is by rehashing it over and over and over and I'm just not interested. I love the original movies. But it's been done, it's over, move on. Why constrain yourselves so much? There's so much to do. poo poo just do something like Voyager but not terrible, send a ship out into the 98% of the galaxy that's unexplored.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I'm not looking forward to it. The only thing I'd want to see in that general era is the Romulan War. I feel like they're trying to convince everyone how good TOS era is by rehashing it over and over and over and I'm just not interested. I love the original movies. But it's been done, it's over, move on. Why constrain yourselves so much? There's so much to do. poo poo just do something like Voyager but not terrible, send a ship out into the 98% of the galaxy that's unexplored.

Romulan war was before the Federation, so it would be ENT era.

And since the new movies are set in a similar era, and the 50th anniversary is here, so many many new fans are more familiar with the TOS era now due to the new movies it would be stupid to NOT set it in that era in order to draw in the most viewers. At least that would make sense if it wasn't all access exclusive. All access is gonna kneecap this show before it gets a chance to do anything since you don't pull in a casual audience with a goddamned paywall.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Hey now, that paywall gets you 3-6 extra minutes of show and only 12 minutes of ads per episode for only $6/month!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The All Access thing is the stupidest thing. But I don't care what era it's set in, as what matters is writing and characters. Moving the timeline ever forward is pointless if the show sucks.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Wikkheiser posted:

The All Access thing is the stupidest thing. But I don't care what era it's set in, as what matters is writing and characters. Moving the timeline ever forward is pointless if the show sucks.

That is the only thing that matters. The show could literally be set on the Voyager, during specific episodes, about background characters, and as long as it was well written and enjoyable to watch, that right there is a good show. On the other hand it can be full of interesting premises, set in unexplored space, full of outside threats and possible dissension within the crew, and it could be terrible for not getting writing and character right. In other words, it could actually be Voyager.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The more you guys talk about CBS All Access the happier I get that Discovery is just going to be on Netfilx over here.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Ogmius815 posted:

Except that Enterprise was good.

"More going on than Voyager" does not equate to "good." If it hadn't of been cancelled, maybe.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Veotax posted:

The more you guys talk about CBS All Access the happier I get that Discovery is just going to be on Netfilx over here.

Right? I'm sort of hoping Netflix releases it all at once, too.

Oh, apparently Discovery will also have robots.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

I know. Why don't they dare going past the DS9 in the timeline? Seriously, what are they afraid of?

not having the borg, I reckon. they seem pretty important to the series as a whole, so maybe they can't figure out what to do afterwards :shrug:

also, thank God for the scenes with Picard and Wesley on the shuttle craft during the Pakled episode, holy hell. :catstare:

Up The Long Ladder wasn't so bad, to me. I don't know if it's because the previous one was the Pakled, or if it was so dumb it was funny

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tighclops posted:

Sad but on point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

PenguinKnight posted:

not having the borg, I reckon. they seem pretty important to the series as a whole, so maybe they can't figure out what to do afterwards :shrug:

The fallout of the Federation acquiring Transwarp tech ahead of the other Superpowers.