Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Bastions recon gun is very accurate if you tapfire it real quic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Andrast posted:

That's far too harsh considering people play hundreds of comp games in a season.

Not to mention the likelihood of Comcast's entire userbase ending up locked out of Comp play.

Actually that's not terrible.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Verranicus posted:

As someone who went from 44 to 64 doing solo queue as Torbjorn, I don't believe for a second in "forced losing" or the game going out of its way to match you with bads. If I can get as far as I've got, anyone can. I'm not that good.

The forced 50% win lose ratio is evident. Stop apologizing for the game. Every fps I've played never had did this.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Golem II posted:

The forced 50% win lose ratio is evident. Stop apologizing for the game. Every fps I've played never had did this.

I am above a 50% winrate playing a sub-optimal character solo queue, and I'm sure if I played someone who wasn't terrible with goons I'd be higher. I hate when people say this, but I feel like you deserve it: You're the reason you're doing poorly. Git gud.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Golem II posted:

If Blizzard really did write some sinister algorithm that assigns pro MLG players to curbstomp you when it detects dangerous amounts of winning, how does that explain the people with win percentages higher than 50%? Because if strict 50% win/lose ratios were enforced you would expect that even high level players would be experiencing the same thing, but there are players out there with win percentages in the 70s and 80s. I suppose we could carry the conspiracy further and say that Blizzard has struck deals with all the name-brand pro players to exempt them from the system so they can pubstomp over everyone and look like golden gods.

Alternately the more plausible answer is that if you're being matched against people of roughly equal skill, as the matchmaker is supposed to do, then your W/L ratio should naturally trend towards somewhere in the 50% range since equally skilled matchups should be fairly close instead of one-sided stomps. What people seem to have a rough time grasping is the concept of statistical variance whereby just because something averages out to 50% doesn't mean that every game you lose is immediately bookended by a win. Streaks happen without an algorithm stacking the deck against you. I think it's pretty telling that everybody bitches about how they get paired up with bads and they're carrying their team but everyone else is an idiot shitfucker and that's why they lose, but you rarely hear anyone bitching about the time they win six+ games in a row and some other group gets to be on the receiving end of a losing streak.

Rising out of the 50% ratio is possible, but it requires you to either A). get good, and not just "well I carry my team but somehow I'm stuck in the 30s through no fault of my own," but the kind of good where you stop blaming the game and other people and start ruthlessly and critically self-examining your own play and working to improve it, or B). stop solo queuing and then getting mad that you can't get five complete strangers to give you the time of day.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Jeff K. came forth stating outright that they don't have anything in place to try to force you to 50%. If you're sitting around 50% then that means the matchmaker is working correctly, though, by finding games/teams that match your level of skill.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Does anyone else have their game installed on an SSD? It's great, in probably 99% of games I play I get into the character selection screen a good 5 seconds or so before anyone else and can pick whatever hero I want.
I feel a little bad though, perhaps in ranked the game should wait until everyone has loaded in before it lets you pick.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I would if I had the space on mine. Luckily, since I play only support classes I never have to worry about my character being taken anyway.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

PureRok posted:

Jeff K. came forth stating outright that they don't have anything in place to try to force you to 50%. If you're sitting around 50% then that means the matchmaker is working correctly, though, by finding games/teams that match your level of skill.

Then why do I get stuck with teams that act like they have never played the game, despite their levels and other times I'm with competent players?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

PureRok posted:

I would if I had the space on mine. Luckily, since I play only support classes I never have to worry about my character being taken anyway.

Back before Mercy got nerfed one time I was in a game where two players were fighting over who got to play Mercy. The one who eventually got her was just a really bad Mercy, and the one who didn't picked Reaper and did really badly.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Golem II posted:

Then why do I get stuck with teams that act like they have never played the game, despite their levels and other times I'm with competent players?

A lot of people play this game.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

krampster2 posted:

Does anyone else have their game installed on an SSD? It's great, in probably 99% of games I play I get into the character selection screen a good 5 seconds or so before anyone else and can pick whatever hero I want.
I feel a little bad though, perhaps in ranked the game should wait until everyone has loaded in before it lets you pick.

Yes and it's lovely. Then again I tend to go with Soldier more often than not because I'm not great at healing, nor very good at tanking. I'm not amazing at shooting mans either but at least I'm not leaving the team's rear end hanging out in the wind if I'm a mediocre shooter. Soldier's Tallboy of Healing Brew makes up for the inevitable one-weird-trick Lucio who makes it his exclusive goal to bounce someone off a ledge at the expense of actually healing anyone.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Golem II posted:

If it matched you completely random, you'd more likely have 20-40% win percentage.

You're literally below average player, but that's ok. You can play with other scrubs like me.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I got stuck with a bunch of clowns, against a bunch of clowns. Instead of bitching, I went Zarya.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

redweird posted:

I got stuck with a bunch of clowns, against a bunch of clowns. Instead of bitching, I went Zarya.

See that's the spirit. You're going to lose anyway, gently caress it, it's only quickplay. If I didn't play Zarya often I'd probably switch to her before recon offense bastion, probably before either non-healing sniper too. Definitely not before exploration lucio though.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Does solo queuing mess up everything?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Golem II posted:

You have to worry about yourself. If you can't consistently carry, and don't play with someone who will benefit from your support, you're a bottom tier player.

Welcome! It's not so bad.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It can definitely mess up your skill progression, because it gives you lots of opportunities to blame things on other people and avoid introspection and personal growth.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Golem II posted:

Does solo queuing mess up everything?

Not particularly. I haven't solo queued since the closed beta so I can't really provide much in the way of contemporary anecdotes. It doesn't make things any easier or harder afterwards though. The big difference is the XP bonus.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Don't ask me why, but I do way better solo queue than with goons on Discord. Probably because if you ever group up on Discord for comp matches it gets awkward and quiet after even a single loss and nobody is happy anymore. When I play on my own I don't have to deal with that.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I'm down to 36 in comp and I'm being connected with people from Asia playing in California. What is that?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
One thing that helps me be frank with myself is the overbuff site. It's really hard to argue with the stats. I only averaged 7.4 kills and 3.9 healing tonight while I averaged 12.9 deaths. Geeze wonder why I went 1-6.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

gently caress this game I keep getting connected to poo poo players in comp

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Golem II posted:

I'm down to 36 in comp and I'm being connected with people from Asia playing in California. What is that?

What part of Asia are you connected to? Are we talking the Westminster part of Asia, the Rosemead part of Asia, or the Laguna Niguel part?

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

What part of Asia are you connected to? Are we talking the Westminster part of Asia, the Rosemead part of Asia, or the Laguna Niguel part?

Are you people sucking off blizzard?

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Tf2 never had issues with their servers.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Maybe you'd be happier playing that game.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Rick posted:

Maybe you'd be happier playing that game.

No cause they killed it

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Golem II posted:

So you get matched with players within your skill level. Working as intended.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

adhuin posted:

So you get matched with players within your skill level. Working as intended.

No

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Golem II posted:

Are you people sucking off blizzard?

What do you mean by you people

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I hope they implement some setting to keep chat turned off chat sometime soon, that'd be nice

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

What do you mean by you people

That everything critical is me and it isn't.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

As someone who is in the dumpster tier with no illusions about my rank and limitations, I can decisively say that if you're down in the mid-30s it ain't your teammates dragging you there. You earned it. Embrace it. :unsmigghh:

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Teikanmi posted:

I hope they implement some setting to keep chat turned off chat sometime soon, that'd be nice

/leavechannel doesn't work?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

I had bit different experience.
I Started at 45, eventually dropped down to 38, where I stayed a while.
Instead of blaming other players, I tried to improve my gameplay.

Eventually something clicked and I'm reaching now 48. First I though we had a new influx of newbies, but it could also be that I'm better teamplayer now.

This is all solo-queue BTW.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Teikanmi posted:

:agreed: poo poo's a distraction.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I got zarya's weight lifter skin ha

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

Golem II posted:

If you are underranked you can play with other people of average rank and they will love you because matchmaker will put a potato on to the other team. If you are the rank you deserve maybe you should still play with them and they can give you tips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Golem II posted:

I got zarya's weight lifter skin ha

The red one is baller af