Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003

ronya posted:

gentlemen, start your (literal!) speculation engines. Reach: legacy or voltaxicified mechanic nerf? Short silver coins, or long silver coins?

Legacy, because who cares about standard balance. Reach is just an obscenely high end bow, it's not like voltaxic which let you bypass one of GGG's sacred mechanics.

Betting that you'll get 30% less damage thrown on it, to counteract the built in GMP and letting it be merely a 7L.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The question is how they can decrease the damage without making legacy versions. They could decrease the number of projectiles which would be boring as hell.

I for one don't care if it kills glyph mark.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

The question is how they can decrease the damage without making legacy versions. They could decrease the number of projectiles which would be boring as hell.

I for one don't care if it kills glyph mark.

It doesnt kill glyph mark. When funman says he does more damage now than he did with glyph mark, that includes all the new mechanics. If he used glyph mark he would do even more damage.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

TheRat posted:

It doesnt kill glyph mark. When funman says he does more damage now than he did with glyph mark, that includes all the new mechanics. If he used glyph mark he would do even more damage.

This is very true. A mirrored bow is better than Reach, but not by as much as I expected, still like 25% better with a mirrored bow. Considering how many people shelled out 500ex on standard for Brood Twine to go from 573 pdps to 607, it matters to enough people for it to probably not get too crazy expensive in standard.

I did not expect it to make it into the core game, but now that it is, a nerf is pretty justified. I do hope they leave legacy versions, because i like those things.

Ultima66 posted:

Saw that post and decided I might as well as throw currency at my bow (was 330 dps 5L). 10 fusings and 5 divines later:

:vince:

Grats, i've personally thrown about 40 divines at my reach and cant get it much higher than 355.

Mince Pieface posted:

What do you use for charge generation against Atziri?

Sorry about the delayed response. I don't use anything for charge generation in atziri or uber, though i should. I havent had too much trouble clearing them without it so far, so it hasn't felt important. Also if anyone has questions, you can always pm me in game @funmanguy. I dont read the thread as regularly as i should.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

funmanguy posted:

Sorry about the delayed response. I don't use anything for charge generation in atziri or uber, though i should. I havent had too much trouble clearing them without it so far, so it hasn't felt important. Also if anyone has questions, you can always pm me in game @funmanguy. I dont read the thread as regularly as i should.

Alright thanks. I should try it out before it gets nerfed in case there's no legacy version

I also need to make some videos of the Assassin obliterator build I've been playing, the clear speed is just insane. I don't know what the benchmarks are for fastest clear speed in maps other than gorge, but I timed myself on full 6-mod tier 12-14 maps and averaged around 3-5 minutes per (That's with picking up currency, too). Need to get some t15 maps to test the clear speed there. The single target DPS probably isn't good enough for Core Malachi though.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I want to try a lovely crit spell trap gimmick for next league. No Bladefall, no Ice Trap.

Think Ice Nova or Freezing Pulse would work as a trap? I'd probably build it as CI Saboteur.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Mystery Prize posted:

I want to try a lovely crit spell trap gimmick for next league. No Bladefall, no Ice Trap.

Think Ice Nova or Freezing Pulse would work as a trap? I'd probably build it as CI Saboteur.

Freezing pulse looks okay with a sire of shards, assuming you can get a 5L/6L of it with that many greens. And you're okay with giving up a shield on an already frail build.

Crit ice nova or shock nova is not a terrible idea, nor is vortex (but the dot doesn't overlap).

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Vasudus posted:

Freezing pulse looks okay with a sire of shards, assuming you can get a 5L/6L of it with that many greens. And you're okay with giving up a shield on an already frail build.

Crit ice nova or shock nova is not a terrible idea, nor is vortex (but the dot doesn't overlap).

Hmm, I don't know if I'd be able to give up dagger/shield for Sire; that's a lot of potential ES and crit chance.

I think with fairly minimal investment I could get crit shock/ice nova trap up to ~50% crit chance without charges

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
My plan next league is a LL Guardian with Aegis Aurora. Still undecided what skill to actually use though (not traps or mines) - both BV and Vortex benefit nicely from the good amount of spell damage (as it double-dips with Vortex's burns).

Any suggestions?

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
If you're not married to the idea of using a spell for damage, you could go wander. I played a LL aura-based KB Guardian in Prophecy to great effect, and I think you could do something similar with an aegis build and a crown of eyes.

MacDeuce
Oct 23, 2010
For an Ele Crit Windripper build, am I better off using LA, Ice Shot, Split Arrow, or Tornado Shot? Build will look something like this: poeurl.com/I4M

And for single target damage, is Puncuture still ideal? or is it Blast Rain + Concentrated Effect now?

Basically, what should my gem setups look like?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Mystery Prize posted:

I ran Shock Nova traps. It works, but for quite a while I was just wondering why I didn't go Bladefall instead.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MacDeuce posted:

For an Ele Crit Windripper build, am I better off using LA, Ice Shot, Split Arrow, or Tornado Shot? Build will look something like this: poeurl.com/I4M

And for single target damage, is Puncuture still ideal? or is it Blast Rain + Concentrated Effect now?

Basically, what should my gem setups look like?

It's pretty common to run windripper + kaoms heart for massive hp, and that means you only have one 5-6 link available. Then you either use tshot, or you rely on frostwall + LA for single target. If you dont want to use kaoms heart, any of the skills you mentioned will be just fine.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Mystery Prize posted:

I liked playing https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1623437.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

TheRat posted:

It's pretty common to run windripper + kaoms heart for massive hp, and that means you only have one 5-6 link available. Then you either use tshot, or you rely on frostwall + LA for single target. If you dont want to use kaoms heart, any of the skills you mentioned will be just fine.

Yeah this is all good info. If you only have one set of links for killing you'll probably want tshot+gmp+WED+pierce+added lightning+ and whatever you want for the last link, faster attacks/added cold/something else. If you feel comfortable with lightning arrow+frost wall for single target you get a very similar gem setup, just swap in LA for tshot. My personal opinion is that blast rain isnt really required anymore but if you wanted to go that way you can use BR+Conc+WED+added light+whatever.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Not gimmicky enough, I'm afraid

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 11, 2016

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

If you want to throw traps that hit an aoe around them use actual Vortex it's way better than all other PBAOE spells right now.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

Mystery Prize posted:

Not gimmicky enough, I'm afraid

Use Arc. It's gimmicky and fun.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

If you want to throw traps that hit an aoe around them use actual Vortex it's way better than all other PBAOE spells right now.
How so?

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I wonder how awful Magma Orb Trap would be?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Mystery Prize posted:

Basically every skill in the game is usable with the current state of the game, as long as you dont expect to rival coc discharge for clearspeed. I'm sure elementalist magma orb would be entirely enjoyable.

E: I just remembered, I was losing out on xp/hour on the hc ladder this league to a guy who played CI grand spectrum magma orb elementalist. He was soloing multi-player t15 bosses.
Here's his build: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/FleepQc/characters - Use lightning warp to clear trash, magma orb for high hp mobs.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 11, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mystery Prize posted:

Do it with sire of shards for laughs.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

TheRat posted:

Basically every skill in the game is usable with the current state of the game, as long as you dont expect to rival coc discharge for clearspeed. I'm sure elementalist magma orb would be entirely enjoyable.

E: I just remembered, I was losing out on xp/hour on the hc ladder this league to a guy who played CI grand spectrum magma orb elementalist. He was soloing multi-player t15 bosses.
Here's his build: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/FleepQc/characters - Use lightning warp to clear trash, magma orb for high hp mobs.

I'm the dude who was playing lowlife KB guardian with 9 auras, I can live with mediocre clearspeed as long as it's fun

That's loving amazing, I bet he could have used basically any elemental spell and had it work just as well. Turns out a build with 786% increased elemental damage on the tree doesn't give a poo poo what it uses

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

He talked about why he chose the spells that he did. Lightning warp is obvious since it clears and moves at the same time. If I remember correctly, magma orb was chosen since it gave the largest possible burn of any fire spells (flameblast excluded because it locks you in place).

e: he made a video guide! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz9nyNsu6zk

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

It just does the most damage.

Average damage of spells at lvl 20:

Shock Nova: 370, 555 in ring
Ice Nova: 473
Vortex: 573 + 684.5 DoT
Ice Trap: 648.5 (for reference)

Spells that would work similarly with Sire Of Shards:

Magma Orb: 796.5
Arctic Breath: 564
Fireball: 620
Freezing Pulse: 861.5
Frostbolt: 940.5
Ball Lightning: 137 per hit (5 hits/sec)

If you want to make something that works like Ice Trap (throw a cluster of them down and have them blow up on enemies) then Vortex numerically just does the most damage. With the DoT effect it probably does very similar damage to Ice Trap if you're not igniting at all, and ignite Vortex can scale up to the millions of DPS easily due to how the "damage buffs to spells affect DoT caused by Vortex" works with it. If you're trying to do something with Sire of Shards I'd probably try Frostbolt or Magma Orb.

Yes, it's weird that Vortex initial hit does more damage than peak damage on Shock Nova and Ice Nova. No one has any idea why it does besides GGG intentionally making some skills better than others to get people to play specific meta builds.

E: Sire of Shards Fireball Trap with a couple of Rolling Flames jewels seems like it could be worth a try due to how Fireball AoE overlapping works.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Do it with sire of shards for laughs.

It's been done https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3muXZF0Wr7M.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
I really want to do something with Temperal Chains next season. Maybe a Viper Strike slayer?

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

It just does the most damage.

Average damage of spells at lvl 20:

Shock Nova: 370, 555 in ring
Ice Nova: 473
Vortex: 573 + 684.5 DoT
Ice Trap: 648.5 (for reference)

Spells that would work similarly with Sire Of Shards:

Magma Orb: 796.5
Arctic Breath: 564
Fireball: 620
Freezing Pulse: 861.5
Frostbolt: 940.5
Ball Lightning: 137 per hit (5 hits/sec)

If you want to make something that works like Ice Trap (throw a cluster of them down and have them blow up on enemies) then Vortex numerically just does the most damage. With the DoT effect it probably does very similar damage to Ice Trap if you're not igniting at all, and ignite Vortex can scale up to the millions of DPS easily due to how the "damage buffs to spells affect DoT caused by Vortex" works with it. If you're trying to do something with Sire of Shards I'd probably try Frostbolt or Magma Orb.

Yes, it's weird that Vortex initial hit does more damage than peak damage on Shock Nova and Ice Nova. No one has any idea why it does besides GGG intentionally making some skills better than others to get people to play specific meta builds.

E: Sire of Shards Fireball Trap with a couple of Rolling Flames jewels seems like it could be worth a try due to how Fireball AoE overlapping works.
Hadn't realized the numbers were so high on Vortex. It feels like GGG needs to give older skills a pass and probably buff a bunch of them, because they're just not competitive with a lot of the new ones (Vortex, Ice Trap and Bladefall all seem to be offenders here). Also, how does Ignite Vortex work - I though DoTs couldn't ignite?

I'd love to do one of those Sire of Shards trap builds but those end up really papery, don't they?

Then again, I'm just really Bad At Gearing, because I tend to always be way too squishy for maps and die a bunch. The best character I've ever had that could actually handle red maps deathless was a Whispering Ice Elementalist I ran this league, who was able to draintank through almost anything, and even then I only ended up with around 8k ES.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Bluemillion posted:

I really want to do something with Temperal Chains next season. Maybe a Viper Strike slayer?

that doesn't seem to be a combo? you mean Vulnerability?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The Real Foogla posted:

that doesn't seem to be a combo? you mean Vulnerability?

temp chains buffs dot damage too.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Temporal Chains would make the Poison duration last longer but Vulnerability double-dipping poison damage with increased physical and DoT taken is too great to ignore.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

theshim posted:

Hadn't realized the numbers were so high on Vortex. It feels like GGG needs to give older skills a pass and probably buff a bunch of them, because they're just not competitive with a lot of the new ones (Vortex, Ice Trap and Bladefall all seem to be offenders here). Also, how does Ignite Vortex work - I though DoTs couldn't ignite?

I'd love to do one of those Sire of Shards trap builds but those end up really papery, don't they?

Then again, I'm just really Bad At Gearing, because I tend to always be way too squishy for maps and die a bunch. The best character I've ever had that could actually handle red maps deathless was a Whispering Ice Elementalist I ran this league, who was able to draintank through almost anything, and even then I only ended up with around 8k ES.

You use the Pyre ring to make Vortex initial hit do fire damage, then use any source of ignite to make it ignite. Normally you'd run Elementalist because of the prolif and Conflux but if you're going trapper you could do whatever other ascendancy and use other sources of ignite with or without prolif. Obviously if you're trying to focus on ignite/DoT then you shouldn't go Saboteur since Cluster Trap doesn't help that at all.

That magma orb trapper that was linked has 6300 life with Kaom's Heart and Sire of Shards. It's not a great amount of life (probably around 5000 with a Coil instead of Kaom's) but it seems okay for a trapper, since from what I can tell most people playing trappers don't seem to invest that heavily in life anyways.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

You use the Pyre ring to make Vortex initial hit do fire damage, then use any source of ignite to make it ignite. Normally you'd run Elementalist because of the prolif and Conflux but if you're going trapper you could do whatever other ascendancy and use other sources of ignite with or without prolif. Obviously if you're trying to focus on ignite/DoT then you shouldn't go Saboteur since Cluster Trap doesn't help that at all.
I know about Pyre. I was asking because the initial hit, while strong, doesn't seem to scale to the "millions of dps", unless it's that the DoT portion spell scaling boosts both the vortex ground effect and the ignite?

help I am dumb :(

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

theshim posted:

I know about Pyre. I was asking because the initial hit, while strong, doesn't seem to scale to the "millions of dps", unless it's that the DoT portion spell scaling boosts both the vortex ground effect and the ignite?

help I am dumb :(

Here's a build (that I will probably play something like next league if the double-dipping stays) that has the ignite caused by the Vortex to do something like 10-20x the damage caused by the initial hit: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1707021

I plan on using Guardian as my source of extra regen so that I can use a "chaos damage doesn't bypass energy shield" chest. Plus there's a nonzero chance that that'll be a rare instead of a shav's next league!! Maybe you have to burn a shavs to get one, but still I'm pretty excited.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

gonadic io posted:

Here's a build (that I will probably play something like next league if the double-dipping stays) that has the ignite caused by the Vortex to do something like 10-20x the damage caused by the initial hit: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1707021

I plan on using Guardian as my source of extra regen so that I can use a "chaos damage doesn't bypass energy shield" chest. Plus there's a nonzero chance that that'll be a rare instead of a shav's next league!! Maybe you have to burn a shavs to get one, but still I'm pretty excited.

FYI I made a huge post no one read about this here a while ago. I switched to playing LL like this guide after buying a 6L Shav's, you should never, ever go low life for this build.

The only multiplier you lose out on is Pain Attunement when going low life. Yes, this adds approximately 60% more damage overall, but adds a whole ton of disadvantages that I don't like for no good reason. I didn't bother going poison, as poison from a Consuming Dark is like 20% of the damage you get from Ignite + Cold Vortex DoT + RF, and using a Doon Cuebiyari gives you a big chunk of health. I replaced Added Chaos with lvl 3 Empower, and Less Duration with Iron Will for the gems. Going the build this guy used is kind of a joke because you can't use HP pots to heal in dangerous situations, have no leech, and get 8200 ES with 5% more damage taken from his chest, and no armor/evasion/other mitigating mechanics at all. Meanwhile, getting a ton of strength gear and going with Doon Iron Will puts you at 7500 life while wearing Lightning Coil and a Rise of the Phoenix.

Oh yeah, other reasons not to use Consuming Dark for poison: if you use Consuming Dark you will only get good ignites from Elemental Conflux. This forces you to use Writing Jar, which I don't particularly like. It's especially bad on a LL build since the instant life potion doesn't even do anything then. If you do pure fire, you can just naturally ignite for full damage sometimes without having to get Conflux at all. Also, instead of Liege of the Primordial you can use the 25% fire pen if you used a lightning skill recently. Use Ele Equilibrium which this guy ignores with Orb of Storms + Increased Critical Strikes to trigger Overload. You get way more consistent damage penetrating 75% more resistances than this guy is using.

Basically that guide is a piece of poo poo. If you want to play Ignite Vortex go down to the Marauder/Duelist area, get the big life regen nodes there, pick up gear to get 800 strength and wear Doon, then run around with your millions of DPS ignites and 7500 life while wearing Lightning Coil.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ultima66 posted:

Basically that guide is a piece of poo poo. If you want to play Ignite Vortex go down to the Marauder/Duelist area, get the big life regen nodes there, pick up gear to get 800 strength and wear Doon, then run around with your millions of DPS ignites and 7500 life while wearing Lightning Coil.
SeemsGood

found my Juggernaut build for next league

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Reminder though that the spell damage from Iron Will doesn't double dip ignites (which I don't think matters too much) but the increased damage from the Doon's does

I've done a RF IW Discharger & Flame Surge Scion with a Doon's before Ascendancy. I really like Iron Will builds and Doon's especially because it's a great cheap and easy to get 4 link on a new character in a new league. You can still work towards a 6 link anyway and put IW as a link, and later on you can get a Repentance and drop the IW gem and have a technical 7 link, even an 8 link if you go Pledge instead. The Doon's is still great after that for a really strong 4L single target skill though.

I still wouldn't run RF though, it just hinders you too much at the start of a league, especially in HC. Although saying that, a build that uses RF should still be able to clear quickly without it, it should just be an extra bonus on maps where you can run it and then you have regen on maps where you can't.

I'm planning to do some sort of Iron Will build next league maybe but this time I'm going to do it as a Hierophant and go Pledge I think and stack mana. Undecided on what skill I'll use though, probably one of Glacial Cascade/Magma Orb/Ball Lightning/Arc/Blade Vortex/Incinerate

I'm holding off on doing it as a Chieftan because I'm sort of considering a searing bond character.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The main reason to use Vortex is that spell damage DOES double-dip on its ignites.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
PSA: the currency stash tab is on sale at the moment, if there's anybody here who hasn't got one yet I'd really recommend it.

I can't really think of an advantage of having more than one though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
:siren: Expansion(patch) Announcement today at 2pm pst :siren:

:frogsiren: new supporter packs at the same time :frogsiren:

• Locked thread