Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Golem II posted:

Are you people sucking off blizzard?

You have to be trolling at this point, nobody is this ignorant.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw a thread on the OF asking for Pharah to be given full three dimensional movement when she rockets up because apparently the OP and many people in the thread feel like she needs a buff. I guess people -can- be that ignorant.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Aug 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I probably wouldn't like this game as much as I do if I was super bad at it. Luckily, I am good (for my MMR)

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I play my best and I still lose, this game is trash. You should play with people that can actually do things.

I just want a gold weapon.

Altared State fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Aug 11, 2016

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Shouldn't meltdowns like this go to the whine-thread?

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

adhuin posted:

Shouldn't meltdowns like this go to the whine-thread?

Every fps I've played you are rewarded for playing good and you don't have to play with people. That's the way I've always played. This game fucks you over constantly with people who can't play. It's dumb and people say there isn't a mmr, when there is.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Golem II posted:

I play my best and I still lose, this game is trash. You should play with people that can actually do things.

maybe your best is garbage

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
My only gripe with competitive are the leavers. Nothing gets me saltier than having a really tight match and then some fucknugget on either team leaves. Even if it's the other team that eats it, it's such a wet fart of an ending to a good match. I've also lost a good amount of ranks because of those clowns, but at least I've managed to climb back up on legit matches eventually.

And that's the other thing. Matches lost/won because of a leaver should have reduced loss/gain on rank. To stop people from abusing this, just give leavers a lot heftier penalties and bans. 3 strikes and you're out is probably too heavy, but something along those lines should suffice. It's understandable if something sudden comes up or the internet connection shits itself, but if that poo poo happens like 10 times or so in one season, you should only play quick play.

Edit: season placement matches can be free-for-all since even babies should get their season rewards. Just keep them out of real matches.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Everything literally balances in the end.

Leaver's screw you, they screw opposing side.
I got bad Hanjo, you get bad Hanjo.

Only thing that can tilt your career up or down is you. Only you.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Golem II posted:

Every fps I've played you are rewarded for playing good and you don't have to play with people. That's the way I've always played. This game fucks you over constantly with people who can't play. It's dumb and people say there isn't a mmr, when there is.

Everyone here is saying there's MMR, but maybe you're parsing "yours is trash and that's why you're getting matched with shitters who have to deal with one rear end in a top hat who thinks he's a temporarily embarrassed MLG frag king" as "there's no MMR."

Sometimes you get hosed over for the whole day and go 1-7. Just avoid getting wrapped up in a losing game, ask the team politely if they could just let it end quickly instead of playing overtime chicken with tracer, and move on to the next one.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I've never played a fps that punished you for leaving. If this is the way online fps games are going then, it's trash.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Golem II posted:

If the game is so bad why do you care about a vanity cosmetic for it?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Golem II posted:

I've never played a fps that punished you for leaving. If this is the way online fps games are going then, it's trash.

More and more FPS games punish shitters for bailing on their team so you probably want to go back to whatever game coddled your precious baby sympathies about being an invite-level KDR beast who only looks terrible because he just keeps lagging.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

adhuin posted:

Everything literally balances in the end.

Leaver's screw you, they screw opposing side.
I got bad Hanjo, you get bad Hanjo.

Only thing that can tilt your career up or down is you. Only you.

It would still balance without the clowns. Removing them from comp would just make matches more interesting, win or lose. There wouldn't be any downsides.

Also I don't mind Hanzos. At least they try. (unless it's bacontotem or other hanjo)

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Golem II posted:

There is MMR, but it is visible in competitive. That's what your rank number is. It is your competitive MMR.

It tries to match you against other players with similar MMRs and other teams with similar average MMRs to your team's average, with a slight weight towards matching groups of players up with other groups of similar size.

There is no forced 50% winrate in Competitive Mode Overwatch. The game tries to put you against players of similar rank, which should be of similar skill. If you are better than them, you will climb the ranks until you get to a point where they're roughly equal to you. If you are worse than them, you will lose a bunch until you get to opponents you can beat. That's how the ranked system works.

The "forced 50% winrate" idea came about because Quickplay also uses MMR, but its MMR is hidden. But it works exactly the same way - it places you against roughly equal teams and if you keep beating them, it places you against progressively better rated players until you stop beating them every time. When you lose a bunch, it tries to match you with lower rated players, as it tries to figure out your rough skill level. That's how this game's matchmaking system works.

If you are stuck in the 30s, it is because you are not very good, and you should probably try pushing the cart more and playing the objectives. Consider also playing Tank, so you can survive doing these things, or a healer, so the rest of your team can survive doing these things.

Hope that helps.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Then why did I never have an issue until competitive mode came out? Whatever, it's just a game.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Golem II posted:

Then why did I never have an issue until competitive mode came out? Whatever, it's just a game.

A good game, yes.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Golem II posted:

Yeah how dare this objectively competitive team based game punish people for leaving a competitive team based game

Next time a game at my my basketball league is going poorly I'll just walk off the court and go home, no one on my team or the other team will mind

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Golem II posted:

The forced 50% win lose ratio is evident. Stop apologizing for the game. Every fps I've played never had did this.

You've never played Destiny. It really does force 50%, and the devs acknowledge it. This feels different, not by far, but definitely superior.

Teikanmi posted:

Yeah how dare this objectively competitive team based game punish people for leaving a competitive team based game

Next time a game at my my basketball league is going poorly I'll just walk off the court and go home, no one on my team or the other team will mind

Well, shooters did used to just let you drop in and out as you liked. This is bringing the appointment gaming that occurred with raiding and MOBAs to shooters, and not everybody is going to like it. It's a fair complaint, but you probably just shouldn't play competitive if you've got somewhere to be going soon.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 11, 2016

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Teikanmi posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Altared State fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 29, 2017

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

If you're being consistently paired with lovely teammates and you've played more than a few hours to shake off the initial sorting process it's because the matchmaker thinks you are also a lovely player. There's randomness yes, but after hundreds of games you're pretty well sorted At this point there are basically three options.

1) Actively try to improve, especially if you're new to the game. Learn the maps, get a feel for how to handle engagements, practice your aiming skills, pick characters that complement the others on your team, and generally try to understand you weaknesses and look at the game beyond "shoot mans".
2) If you've done the above and you're still struggling, you can admit to yourself that you've probably plateaued and due to your age/disability/connection/whatever you're properly ranked as sub-par, at which point you can just relax and enjoy everyone fumbling around and not stress about it.
3) Or, you can whine like a colicy infant because obviously you're a gaming superman and clearly it's all those other schmucks dragging you down.

Grats on choosing option 3. :toot:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Not sure why people are taking Golem II seriously when it's pretty obvious now he's trolling.

Golem II posted:

gently caress off. You can tell when your team is poo poo. And basketball sucks.

Yes, when you're on it.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I'm not, I get angry at this game and I've posted the same before and I'm just surprised I'm not ignored by everyone.

My skill level is high I just play alone all the time so I don't play with anyone the same.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Put me in a team playing support or a tank and I'm good.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

You might be playing alone because your personality is that of an extremely tired and crabby child

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

redweird posted:

You might be playing alone because your personality is that of an extremely tired and crabby child

He somehow loses to the claptrap robots in the training room.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Haha, you people are funny.

I know I'm an rear end, it's just if people take me seriously.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Golem II posted:

I'm not, I get angry at this game and I've posted the same before and I'm just surprised I'm not ignored by everyone.

My skill level is high I just play alone all the time so I don't play with anyone the same.

I play alone and I'm rank 64, what's different between us besides you being worse at the game?

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Verranicus posted:

I play alone and I'm rank 64, what's different between us besides you being worse at the game?

I lost most of my placement games and I've gone from 50 almost twice. And it was in the first week. Everyone now who plays ends up in the high 50s and 60s

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
After I stopped complaining about my rank I was able to increase it by 10%.

I'm still as good as a Rank 0 as far as the gold weapon season bonus is concerned, so I'm sort of hoping to just get one more level to crack 40 and walk away. It isn't fun. I'm playing like two heroes in every game now because I want to win more than I want to have fun. I plan to stop playing it as a primary mode as soon as I can reach my self-imposed goal.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Golem II posted:

I lost most of my placement games and I've gone from 50 almost twice. And it was in the first week. Everyone now who plays ends up in the high 50s and 60s

I did my placement matches when comp first came out and got placed at 48, dropped to 44 and crawled back up to where I am now. So no, it's not because I only now just started doing comp. Any other excuses?

EDIT: I'm finding it more amusing than I probably should to have my team cry about me not talking when I've been muted by Blizzard for whatever reason.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Verranicus posted:

I thought about doing a series for my channel where it's just me playing Torb getting screamed at, actually. I'm probably not as good as you think, I'd say I'm average at best. Even when I win my team hates me.

Do it man, I would watch it for sure, must be pretty cool to experience the salt

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Teikanmi posted:

I hope they implement some setting to keep chat turned off chat sometime soon, that'd be nice

Use hotkey P or go to the groups tab on the social menu while in a match. They've deliberately made the chat mute hard to find since it only shows up when you're playing matches.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Oh you get rewards based on max and not current? Great, now I'll feel better for myself when I continue to ignore my team and play only as Ana.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Mystic Stylez posted:

Do it man, I would watch it for sure, must be pretty cool to experience the salt

I'll see how things go. Right now I'm on a pretty wicked losing streak and it'd probably be a bore to watch even with the people trying to do a good cop bad cop thing with me to get me to switch off Torb.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

There, posts ignored.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Golem II posted:

There, posts ignored.

Hahahaha

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

So low rent

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

What do you expect of him?

Back in the day he got caught in Goonskate downvoting every single video made by others, so that his videos ranked a bit better.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

adhuin posted:

Back in the day he got caught in Goonskate downvoting every single video made by others, so that his videos ranked a bit better.

Wow is that something that really happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

adhuin posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha