Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Met posted:

The fallout of the Federation acquiring Transwarp tech ahead of the other Superpowers.

Transwarp, space nukes and pimpin' Batmobile armor, it's like cheating and jumping yourself ahead a few tech eras in a Civ game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, apparently Discovery will also have robots.
Wait, what?

Is there someone out there compiling all this new information? I'd love to read about all this stuff without following a bunch of tweets.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Eiba posted:

Wait, what?

Is there someone out there compiling all this new information? I'd love to read about all this stuff without following a bunch of tweets.

I got it from this Variety article: http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/star-trek-discovery-gay-character-cbs-all-access-1201835052/

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Velisarius posted:

An oddly hostile response, but yes. Or yellow.

I'd just like to note that this is not the case for most British people as we're not all racist. Thanks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Met posted:

The fallout of the Federation acquiring Transwarp tech ahead of the other Superpowers.

Or at the very least Quantum Slipstream. They never figured out transwarp aside from 'steal a coil from the Borg', but Voyager almost got Slipstream right alone, give the full Federation a few years and they'd have it down.

Personally I don't think that's a problem because I think a new show should be set exploring a new region of space far from the known superpowers, but hey.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

Sad but on point

I mean I know it seems needlessly negative to be like that but I can't be the only one who's so burnt out on promises of this that and the other from this IP and others that I'm just in full on "haha gently caress you whatever" mode until a decent trailer drops

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I don't even need it to be good. I can tolerate terrible acting and production values if it's relatable. The strength of Trek is when it's telling a story that has parallels in our world. At least Enterprise tried to capture something remotely relevant in the early 2000's. The best episodes of TOS/TNG were not about aliens, they were about us.

Make a statement about humanity and our future together or loving stay home.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I think it's that I don't want to see those drat bland one colour TOS uniform tops any more.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I really like the Star Fleet primary color uniforms and much prefer them to the gray shouldered post-First Contact uniforms or the generic blue jumpsuits from Enterprise, both of which seem hopelessly drab for a franchise that originally existed in part to sell color TVs. That said, the smocks and space pajamas they wore in TOS were cheap, cheap, cheap and their simplistic design was a reflection of that. The JJTreks did a great job copying the style while improving on the general quality, fit, and functionality of the originals, but I think they might have been a bit too slavish to the source material as even with good material and consistent coloring, the general shapelessness of the garment is still pretty noticeable. I wonder if that's why Beyond spent so much time finding excuses to put people in other outfits.

My ideal uniform would have the big, bold colors of the TOS and early TNG uniforms, but with more defined features and some of the functionality and martial flair that the WoK and ENT uniforms experimented with.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Cojawfee posted:

DS9 in HD would be the worst investment ever for CBS.

I want DS9 on Blu Ray so bad. :(

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Or at the very least Quantum Slipstream. They never figured out transwarp aside from 'steal a coil from the Borg', but Voyager almost got Slipstream right alone, give the full Federation a few years and they'd have it down.

This kind of thing is exactly what it doesn't need. At that point you might as well just name it Treknobabble: The Series.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

This kind of thing is exactly what it doesn't need. At that point you might as well just name it Treknobabble: The Series.

That show already exists, it's called Voyager.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Okay, I'm placing my bets on the Klingon-Tribble war.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Give me a Trek from another powers point of view with Starfleet as these assholes antagonizing people through being uptight dinks. Like, where's the Romulan Trek? Or even a show back in the Delta Quadrant, showing how Voyager totally hosed up their lives and the legends around them somehow.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
well i mean if we assume an infinite budget for makeup and also assume that a show without humans on screen to draw people who don't read this thread will not bomb horribly within half a season in we can assume any drat thing we like

e: to be clear this is mockery because i fully expect people to just assume any drat thing they like and then get freshly pissed when reality does not conform to their wildest fantasies but instead has a finite budget and tries to be at least some level of commercial success!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Gammatron 64 posted:

That show already exists, it's called Voyager.

My point exactly. I don't know how you set a show post-Voyager and avoid that.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

MrJacobs posted:

Romulan war was before the Federation, so it would be ENT era.

And since the new movies are set in a similar era, and the 50th anniversary is here, so many many new fans are more familiar with the TOS era now due to the new movies it would be stupid to NOT set it in that era in order to draw in the most viewers. At least that would make sense if it wasn't all access exclusive. All access is gonna kneecap this show before it gets a chance to do anything since you don't pull in a casual audience with a goddamned paywall.

Who are those fans and what does it even mean to be "more familiar" with the new TOS era movies? It's not like they added any new information to the ST universe or have any sort of distinct visual style. Just look at the station they showed in the latest movie. That thing looked more post-TNG than DS9 or Voyager ever did. Your so called new fans would'nt even be able to tell the difference between the timeline of JJ-Trek and the TV Series and it's not like Klingons, Vulcans and so on would stop to exist once you move past TOS.
The new movies really aren't about the era, viewers couldn't care less about it, they used the TOS era because that way they could recycle Star Trek's most popular characters and that's it and the only thing those new fans would be familiar with. Anything outside of those characters is really irrelevant to NU-Trek.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Astroman posted:

At this point I hope it will be in the JJ timeline, because they're gonna gently caress up canon of that era to hell and gone.

Things we won't see:

These uniforms:

Or these:

Or a bridge that looks like this:

Or Klingons that look like this:

Actually, I bet we see those uniforms and a similar, maybe slightly 'older' bridge design that splits the difference between Enterprise and The Cage. We'll probably get bumpy head Klingons though, so yes, ruined forever.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Not really. New series following on from that: "We have a new warp drive, it lets us go faster and explore further than ever before! Let's explore!" Then they explore.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I'm probably in the minority, but I'd have liked a show set in the Enterprise B or C era. Even though it's been kinda done before (in movies), make the main ship a Connie Refit because it's a beautiful ship and hasn't helmed a TV series before. Or an Excelsior class (hell, give me the Enterprise B post Cameron Frye) because it's also a sexy ship.

I realize I'm part of the problem, wanting the old familiar when Trek should be trying something new, but something bridging the gap between TUC and TNG seems like a good place to go.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mortanis posted:

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd have liked a show set in the Enterprise B or C era. Even though it's been kinda done before (in movies), make the main ship a Connie Refit because it's a beautiful ship and hasn't helmed a TV series before. Or an Excelsior class (hell, give me the Enterprise B post Cameron Frye) because it's also a sexy ship.

I realize I'm part of the problem, wanting the old familiar when Trek should be trying something new, but something bridging the gap between TUC and TNG seems like a good place to go.

The Enterprise C feels like it would've been the perfect place to go. Already established female captain. Era of intrigue that hasn't been greatly explored, and a cool ship design.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They'd think people are too stupid and ask ENTERPRISE WHERE IS KIRK!??!?!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GreenNight posted:

They'd think people are too stupid and ask ENTERPRISE WHERE IS KIRK!??!?! ARCHER!?!

:v:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tighclops posted:

I mean I know it seems needlessly negative to be like that but I can't be the only one who's so burnt out on promises of this that and the other from this IP and others that I'm just in full on "haha gently caress you whatever" mode until a decent trailer drops

Yeah no, it's just sad like "this is where we are now", this whole thing has misguided cash grab written all over it and if it weren't for Fuller's involvement I would be actively disinterested.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

The Enterprise C feels like it would've been the perfect place to go. Already established female captain. Era of intrigue that hasn't been greatly explored, and a cool ship design.

AND THEN THEY ALL DIED.

The B''d be good because it's pretty open-ended and the Excelsior is sexy as hell. Just refit her to remove all the Generations poo poo they put on the model...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah so I went to take all that crap off the excelsior from generations. Is super glue not removable? Oh well.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 11, 2016

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Velisarius posted:

An oddly hostile response, but yes. Or yellow.

Sorry I didn't mean to be hostile. I was just confused for a half a second before I realized what you meant.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I want DS9 on Blu Ray so bad. :(

Seconded.

:smith::hf::smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ent-B/Excellsior is the ugliest Starship.

Come at me nerds.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

even a show back in the Delta Quadrant, showing how Voyager totally hosed up their lives and the legends around them somehow.

Star Trek: Kazon is definitely what we've been clamoring for.

I'll admit, I'd prefer a Post VOY show to another in-betweenqual, though. Movie prequels are hard enough; open-ended, episodic series prequels are almost guaranteed to gently caress stuff up and annoy fans with no real positive tradeoff.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
What

Yeager Class
Olympic Class
Prometheus Class

THOSE are the ugliest ships.

Excelsior is a sexy bitch.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Literally none of the Federation Star Trek ships look interesting or cool, in my opinion. Ship design isn't why I watch Star Trek.

Some of the other races ships can be kinda cool looking, at least.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

MikeJF posted:

The B''d be good because it's pretty open-ended and the Excelsior is sexy as hell. Just refit her to remove all the Generations poo poo they put on the model...

This was what I always wanted as a new Trek series. Here's why:

Coolest uniforms

Coolest bridge (even literally in terms of color)

Coolest spaceship

The refits for Generations were kind of ugly, true. However, in DS9 we see Excelsior class ships without the refit additions (the Lakota in S4 has them, the Malinche in S5 does not) so it's not implausible to imagine them having been removed at some later time. Or replaced with different refit additions that make the spaceship look even cooler.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 11, 2016

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I always liked the Excelsior except for it's nacelle pylons.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That bridge sucks, it looks like the break room at a Sports Authority. Give me the TUC Enterprise-A bridge or the Generations Ent-B bridge, which I think may be the same.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Apollodorus posted:

Coolest bridge (even literally in terms of color)

Those chairs are horrible, no back support at all.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The best bridge design:

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

MikeJF posted:

Not really. New series following on from that: "We have a new warp drive, it lets us go faster and explore further than ever before! Let's explore!" Then they explore.

Plus, theres permission to say warp numbers past 9 if you really want. "We can't go past speed x without transwarp because otherwise the crew will turn into lizards" doesn't need to ever get brought up.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Give me the TUC Enterprise-A bridge or the Generations Ent-B bridge, which I think may be the same.

That is the Generations Ent-B bridge that I posted. It's overlit and low-res, but it was the clearest image I could find since all the others are covered with Starfleet crew and journalists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Oh fudge, I guess the movie lighting really helps it.