Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Really catches the Polish movie poster vibe, good job Time :golfclap:

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait to see more :qq: MEDIA MEAN :qq: tweets and political cartoons from that cover.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Little trivia:
77 years and 7 months in between Time's greatest covers.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Grundulum posted:

Source your quotes. Which one of washingtonsblog, beforeitsnews, theflippintruth, or therussophile did you scrape this from?
https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/

Looks like it's on Washington's Blog too! It's spreading.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Jesus Christ, it's not even september yet and he is already melting down. I didn't think it would that soon.

Please don't drop out before the debates, please please please

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Fetishistic.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005

Stereotype posted:

Yeah I also hate people who insist that not only is weed not bad, it is actually very good!! Drugs aren't good for anyone, but alcohol is CLEARLY terrible for everyone (very probably worse than weed) and I'm pretty sure we learned in 1933 that trying to stop people from getting hosed up doesn't work.

I mean, even RIGHT NOW it is being proven that giving people a less harmless drug prevents big issues with "hard"er drugs.

Mainly with meth:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/09/25/these-places-banned-booze-now-theyre-dealing-with-something-far-worse/

But also having a room full of drunks would be way worse than a room full of stoners

so let me get this straight weed isn't bad or good, it just is...maaaan?

you sound like a loving stoner moron

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

rscott posted:

I think this checks out

Also while we're on the name for the Trump fascists I'm partial to bronyshirt myself

Listen, during WW2 America had the "Silvershirts". Obviously Trumps would be like that only better and more luxurious in every single way. He'd have the Gold shirts!

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Weed is good.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wish I had Photoshop skills strong enough to change "TIME" into "NICE" on that cover.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Best quote from the article:

quote:

“On other campaigns, we would have to scrounge for crumbs,” says a senior Clinton adviser. “Here, it’s a fire hose. He can set himself on fire at breakfast, kill a nun at lunch and waterboard a puppy in the afternoon. And that doesn’t even get us to prime time.”

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lotka Volterra posted:

Weed is good.

At the very least, we should all be able to agree it is not as bad as alcohol.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Grundulum posted:

Thanks for bringing this up. It seemed like far and away the shakiest part of the majority's opinion when I read through as EwokEntourage requested. It reads like something a child might try: "Go clean your room" "You didn't specify whether I had to clean my desk and/or the floor, so technically by cleaning my desk I did what you asked".

If appealed to the Supreme Court, I have to imagine that this is what the arguments will focus on, because it seemed pulled out of the air for the sole purpose of ruling in favor of the telcos.

I suppose this is what Antonin Scalia must have felt like when reading the opinions that progressively legalized same-sex marriage.

Yea I'm sure they pulled a well known cannon of construction and a 25 year old Supreme Court case out of the air to base their decision on.

Also lol at complaining that a loving federal appeals court is "rules lawyering".

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
How do you as a politician respond to Trump's "Obama and Hillary founded ISIS, repeat x3" in any way besides "these are the ramblings of a crazy person and we hope Donald gets professional help soon"? I know there isn't anyone on the R side with principles, so how are they trying to spin it instead?

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

roymorrison posted:

so let me get this straight weed isn't bad or good, it just is...maaaan?

you sound like a loving stoner moron

Maybe look inward with the insults

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Great, now I want a grilled cheese sandwich.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

EwokEntourage posted:

Yea I'm sure they pulled a well known cannon of construction and a 25 year old Supreme Court case out of the air to base their decision on.

Also lol at complaining that a loving federal appeals court is "rules lawyering".

You're defending telcos who are upset that they can't have their cake and eat it too.

Like sending you to the gulag is out of the question, I banish you to 10 years of calling up Comcast customer support.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Phone posted:

You're defending telcos who are upset that they can't have their cake and eat it too.

Like sending you to the gulag is out of the question, I banish you to 10 years of calling up Comcast customer support.

Did you know that laws can be dumb and bad but also legal? And that it is the job of the courts to decide what is legal, not what is good?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

AmiYumi posted:

How do you as a politician respond to Trump's "Obama and Hillary founded ISIS, repeat x3" in any way besides "these are the ramblings of a crazy person and we hope Donald gets professional help soon"? I know there isn't anyone on the R side with principles, so how are they trying to spin it instead?

"He was clearly talking about their policies," is already the Very Serious Both Sides MSM response.

Nevermind that we should absolutely not give Trump the benefit of context.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

"He was clearly talking about their policies," is already the Very Serious Both Sides MSM response.

I had an argument with a friend that is always giving Trump the benefit of the doubt despite not wanting him to win about the Second Amendment thing and how he didn't mean anything that bad. It's frustrating since like with these MSM guys you aren't allowed to bring up anything Trump or his supporters have said previously. Everything is its own isolated statement and putting his comments in the larger context (where you have his campaign guys saying Hillary should be executed via firing squad and the thirty years of right wing threats of violence against her) is connecting dots that aren't there. I mean if you just look at every individual word trump says independent of the sentence they are in he's not saying anything bad!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

EwokEntourage posted:

I don't have a problem with the test that the Circuit Court applied; I just think it was incorrectly applied. It is crystal clear to me that a directive to promote infrastructure investment makes no distinction between public and private ventures (absent some context elsewhere, which I did not notice in the opinion), in the same sense that a law saying that car headlights must be functional clearly applies to both the left and right headlight. The claim of "rules lawyering" is that in order to arrive at their conclusion, the court had to invent ambiguity in the text almost out of whole cloth.

Edit to add: under the court's reasoning, how can we be sure that the FCC is even supposed to promote private infrastructure investment? It doesn't explicitly say "private" in section 706, so it must not be allowed!

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 11, 2016

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jimbozig posted:

Did you know that laws can be dumb and bad but also legal? And that it is the job of the courts to decide what is legal, not what is good?

And preemption isn't something that should be taken lightly or applied liberally.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My favorite thing about Trump supporters is they don't know they're losing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Don't worry, Trump decided to Double Down x2 on it.

https://twitter.com/HallieJackson/status/763726772278099968

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

greatn posted:

Oh, they know that they're losing. They're just that dril tweet in physical form.

E: that dril tweet
https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

And preemption isn't something that should be taken lightly or applied liberally.

Actually it should be. States rights should be crushed like a bug under a boot.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

FAUXTON posted:

I wish I had Photoshop skills strong enough to change "TIME" into "NICE" on that cover.

So do I, but I tried anyway

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

greatn posted:

I'm hoping for some pics along the lines of White People Mourning Romney, or the stories about the cancelled fireworks and lack of a concession speech.

Just no riots or anything please.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

WampaLord posted:

I would have thought that Trump would be against the whole "everybody gets a trophy" thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

New Doomguy lookin good

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

FAUXTON posted:

Anything else I can do to put off actually doing work for another five min?

e: fb

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Phone posted:

Oh, they know that they're losing. They're just that dril tweet in physical form.

E: that dril tweet
https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

"im informed! im informed!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a trump supporter

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm hoping for something along the lines of that one YouTube video showing a blurry crowd of Romney supporters moaning and wailing Dante's Inferno style (can't find it ATM).

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 11, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The DEA isn't going to reclassify pot this year, but immediately after they announced that Obama said he is gonna use YOUR TAX DOLLARS to grow ganja.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/11/science/obama-administration-set-to-remove-barrier-to-marijuana-research.html

quote:

Obama Administration Set to Remove Barrier to Marijuana Research

The Obama administration is planning to remove a major roadblock to marijuana research, officials said Wednesday, potentially spurring broad scientific study of a drug that is being used to treat dozens of diseases in states across the nation despite little rigorous evidence of its effectiveness.

The new policy is expected to sharply increase the supply of marijuana available to researchers.

And in taking this step, the Obama administration is further relaxing the nation’s stance on marijuana. President Obama has said he views it as no more dangerous than alcohol, and the Justice Department has not stood in the way of states that have legalized the drug.

For years, the University of Mississippi has been the only institution authorized to grow the drug for use in medical studies. This restriction has so limited the supply of marijuana federally approved for research purposes that scientists said it could often take years to obtain it and in some cases it was impossible to get. But soon the Drug Enforcement Administration will allow other universities to apply to grow marijuana, three government officials said.

While 25 states have approved the medical use of marijuana for a growing list of conditions, including Parkinson’s, Crohn’s disease, Tourette’s syndrome, Alzheimer’s, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, the research to back up many of those treatments is thin. The new policy could begin to change that.

“It will create a supply of research-grade marijuana that is diverse, but more importantly, it will be competitive and you will have growers motivated to meet the demand of researchers,” said John Hudak, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution.

The new policy will be published as soon as Thursday in the federal register, according to the three officials, who have seen the policy but spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss it.

It is unclear how many additional universities would receive licenses to grow marijuana, but the new policy does not set a cap on the number who could qualify. Any institution that has an approved research protocol and the security measures needed to store dangerous drugs can apply.

Researchers will still have to receive approval from federal agencies to conduct medical studies of marijuana, including from the D.E.A. and the Food and Drug Administration. Those whose projects are funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse will also need its consent.

But drug policy advocates, experts and researchers predicted that increasing the number of institutions growing marijuana will have a significant practical effect. The University of Mississippi’s monopoly on that role has been a barrier.

“It’s clear that this was a significant hurdle in limiting the quantity of clinical research taking place in the U.S.,” said Paul Armentano, the deputy director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

Researchers often had difficulty getting some kinds of marijuana, including ones with large amounts of THC, the main ingredient in the drug that gets people high. Under the University of Mississippi monopoly, Mr. Hudak of Brookings said: “If you were a researcher who thought a product with high THC would help someone with a painful cancer, you were out of luck. You couldn’t access high THC marijuana in the same way you could buy it in a market in Colorado,” where it is legal.

As recently as June, Dr. Steven W. Gust, a special assistant to the director of National Institute on Drug Abuse, had disagreed with critics who say the monopoly has stifled research. “In the past, NIDA has been able to provide marijuana for every federally qualified research project,” he said recently in an emailed response to questions.

Earlier this year, the D.E.A. had suggested that it would possibly remove marijuana from the list of the most restricted and dangerous drugs by end of June. But this week, the agency did not take such a step.

Dr. Orrin Devinsky of the Comprehensive Epilepsy Center at New York University Langone Medical Center called it “deeply disappointing” that the agency had not done so. He said the scientific data overwhelmingly indicated it should not be listed as such a dangerous drug.

The federal government still classifies marijuana as a highly addictive drug without medical value, as it has for 46 years. The D.E.A. did not say when it will answer two petitions demanding a change of that policy, filed separately in 2009 and 2011.

Others were relieved that the D.E.A. had moved to allow more institutions to grow marijuana for research, but not taken it off the list of the most dangerous drugs.

“They’re looking at the science, taking a nuanced view,” said Kevin A. Sabet, a former Obama administration drug-policy adviser and president of the group Smart Approaches to Marijuana. “It’s a good day for science.”

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The DEA isn't going to reclassify pot this year, but immediately after they announced that Obama said he is gonna use YOUR TAX DOLLARS to grow ganja.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/11/science/obama-administration-set-to-remove-barrier-to-marijuana-research.html

This fits Obama's MO pretty well, so I"m not surprised.

There was never any chance of reclassification this close to a presidential election anyway. The timing of them say "lol nah" is a little unfortunate but no one is really going to care all that much in a month.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

WampaLord posted:

Haha, Hewitt gives him an out, but Trump can't even take that because it would imply he said anything less than perfectly.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Grundulum posted:

I don't have a problem with the test that the Circuit Court applied; I just think it was incorrectly applied. It is crystal clear to me that a directive to promote infrastructure investment makes no distinction between public and private ventures (absent some context elsewhere, which I did not notice in the opinion), in the same sense that a law saying that car headlights must be functional clearly applies to both the left and right headlight. The claim of "rules lawyering" is that in order to arrive at their conclusion, the court had to invent ambiguity in the text almost out of whole cloth.

Edit to add: under the court's reasoning, how can we be sure that the FCC is even supposed to promote private infrastructure investment? It doesn't explicitly say "private" in section 706, so it must not be allowed!

They don't have to find a clear statement for what it does or doesn't allow or require. They just have to see if there is a clear statement for what the fcc wants to do. If you say 2+2=6, I don't have to tell you what it really equals to say you are wrong. To preempt a traditional state right, such as home rule, it must be a clear intention of congress to do so. The 1996 act doesn't have this clear statement. Sorry.

quote:

Furthermore, nowhere in the general charge to “promote competition in the telecommunications market” is a directive to do so by preempting a state’s allocation of powers between itself and its subdivisions.
Do you disagree with this?

Also bitch all you want. Internet/telco should be a regulated public utility, but it isn't. Laws aren't invalid because they interfere if your full communism now fantasies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

the latter is actually exactly what courts decide in this day and age, do you not understand politics or something

• Locked thread