Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Radish posted:

A large amount of Trump supporters can't be turned off since they don't listen to what he says. Trump is just something they can pin all their hopes and dreams on and whatever he says is being interpreted in their minds as whatever topic in important to them.

There's a phenomenon going on in the brain of each and every Trump supporter which is the insane cognitive dissonance of simultaneously believing four things: first, that Trump is a straight shooter that tells it like it is and doesn't lie and isn't PC; second, that Trump doesn't actually mean all of what he says since he continually contradicts himself; third, that whenever he says something that aligns with what that individual supporter thinks, he's telling the truth like a straight shooter and that's a policy he would definitely implement; and fourth, that whenever he says something that doesn't align with what that individual supporter thinks, he's just being Trump-y and doesn't really mean it and wouldn't enact that particular policy.

None of these things mesh together at all, and yet somehow you see them turn up all the time whenever there's an interview or a quote or whatever with a bona fide Trump supporter--not including the moderate Rs who are holding their noses because they just hate Hillary Clinton and also all other Democrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

vyelkin posted:

Some of us have been saying all along that Trump would be hopeless in a general election because winning the craziest of the crazies in the Republican primary isn't a recipe for winning the general. He's proven that he can't do anything other than win the craziest of the crazies, because he is a manifestation of their pure unbridled rage at the changing country and the onward march of progress and you can't harness that into a general election pivot. Seriously, did anyone actually think that the way Trump won the primary would translate well into a general? He couldn't even get a majority of the vote in the primaries because he is a narcissistic lunatic, and winning a plurality of the people who bother to turn up in Republican primary elections is not a sign that you're a master of 4D political chess.

I'd stake my life on Trump losing, but I have a feeling if Trump doesn't poo poo himself/Hillary has some fumbles in the last month it'll be a closer election than it has any right to be (well, more so than usual).

The media and American public essentially take the role of fawning mothers any time he acts like a normal human for a split second.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah that's the thing. Every time he spouts some of this nonsense everybody not supporting him gasps in horror and then laughs about what a terrible blunder it was, but it doesn't matter because a sizeable percentage of the electorate are hateful, ignorant people. He's going to lose, but the point at which people peel away from him in droves because of his latest outrage is never going to happen. Literally anything and everything he says will be rationalized and recontextualized by supporters online while CNN et al. play their same sad old tune.

Trump is a multifaceted totem of white power, male domination, the 1%, etc. depending on who his supporters want to piss off at the moment. What he says doesn't matter.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think a lot of people fear him because of a combination of Hillary being totally unpopular to white men and her tarnished image after 30 years of character assassination, Republicans seemingly voting for anyone with an R regardless of quality, and Hillary not being able to get Obama's minority turnout numbers. I know a few people that think Trump has a good, if not better than Hillary, chance of winning. Personally I think that it's pretty unlikely unless the silent majority of angry whites comes out of their caves to vote Trump and all of Obama's voters stay home but I will admit the idea of a Trump presidency is really scary enough to worry about it.

vyelkin posted:

There's a phenomenon going on in the brain of each and every Trump supporter which is the insane cognitive dissonance of simultaneously believing four things: first, that Trump is a straight shooter that tells it like it is and doesn't lie and isn't PC; second, that Trump doesn't actually mean all of what he says since he continually contradicts himself; third, that whenever he says something that aligns with what that individual supporter thinks, he's telling the truth like a straight shooter and that's a policy he would definitely implement; and fourth, that whenever he says something that doesn't align with what that individual supporter thinks, he's just being Trump-y and doesn't really mean it and wouldn't enact that particular policy.

None of these things mesh together at all, and yet somehow you see them turn up all the time whenever there's an interview or a quote or whatever with a bona fide Trump supporter--not including the moderate Rs who are holding their noses because they just hate Hillary Clinton and also all other Democrats.

I can ALMOST respect (maybe empathize is a better word...) the opinions of these kinds of crazy people that have been stewing in right wing propaganda for decades and not knowing which way is up since their perception of reality has been intentionally hosed with. The "moderate" Republicans that are voting Trump though know how terrible his Presidency will be (even for them since there's no way he won't crash the economy) but vote for him anyway because Hillary Is Bad are the loving worst.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 11, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Lotka Volterra posted:

Yeah, and this weird resilience in his support is evidenced by him immediately beginning to recover in polls when he strings together a couple days of not making GBS threads himself and smearing it all over the camera.

There are a lot of angry white people out there and Clinton still has decades worth of attacks that have dragged down her image.

Radish posted:

A large amount of Trump supporters can't be turned off since they don't listen to what he says. Trump is just something they can pin all their hopes and dreams on and whatever he says is being interpreted in their minds as whatever topic in important to them.

Agreed. Talking to his supporters has shown me that they really don't know or care to learn anything about Trump. The just like him for the idea that he's a powerful rich man who doesn't play by any rules that shouts really loud slogans they like. Some have decided to label anything he does as brilliant no matter how ridiculous solely to justify their own attachment to him. The appearance that he shares their rage and could possibly do something about it is all that matters. It's kind of disturbing how vulnerable some are to his crap.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Cthulhumatic posted:

Not to stir this pot, but is there actually a path forward for regulating Internet as a utility?

I always see this mentioned but there's never actually any context around it. I'd love to see Comcast crushed into a million pieces because their model is based purely on stifling innovation and classifying Internet as a utility is a clear step towards achieving this goal, but I can't even fathom how that type of action even takes place, especially with a Republican House.

a new, massively expanded telecommunications act that gave the fcc or a possibly new regulatory bodily explicit permission to control and enforce broadband development and what not at all levels could go a long way. Other than that, nationalizing it (not gonna happen)

The Internet in 1996 and the Internet even ten years later, let alone twenty, is so vastly different that they should redo telecommunications law. They should redo most laws every 15-20 years, but congress is mostly too busy pissing in each other's eyes to care

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Radish posted:

I think a lot of people fear him because of a combination of Hillary being totally unpopular to white men and her tarnished image after 30 years of character assassination, Republicans seemingly voting for anyone with an R regardless of quality, and Hillary not being able to get Obama's minority turnout numbers. I know a few people that think Trump has a good, if not better than Hillary, chance of winning. Personally I think that it's pretty unlikely unless the silent majority of angry whites comes out of their caves to vote Trump and all of Obama's voters stay home but I will admit the idea of a Trump presidency is really scary enough to worry about it.

Yeah this is the real thing. Trump's chances of winning are infinitesimal but him winning is such an apocalyptic event that you have to treat it like a real possibility. It's like calculating risk. A 50% chance of something that's a 10 on the Bad Meter gets calculated as the exact same risk as a 5% chance of something that's a 100 on the Bad Meter, so you need to fight just as hard against that 5% chance because even though it's way less likely, it's also way more damaging if the stars align and it does actually happen.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Are there any voice impersonators that do a Trump voice so amazing you can distinguish it from the real one? Cause even with audio I'm finding it harder and harder to believe a man running for president is saying all that he's been saying.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Honestly, it's the most disturbing thing about this election. Any time Trump puts together a coherent thought everyone "ooos" and "awwws" as if he were a child learning to use the toilet.

He's not being graded on a curve, he's graded on a completely different scale in a completely different system.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

vyelkin posted:

Yeah this is the real thing. Trump's chances of winning are infinitesimal but him winning is such an apocalyptic event that you have to treat it like a real possibility. It's like calculating risk. A 50% chance of something that's a 10 on the Bad Meter gets calculated as the exact same risk as a 5% chance of something that's a 100 on the Bad Meter, so you need to fight just as hard against that 5% chance because even though it's way less likely, it's also way more damaging if the stars align and it does actually happen.

Didn't Cheney have a military response/intelligence doctrine like this? Basically "terrorists are so bad that we need to treat 1% as though it were 100%?"

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Kro-Bar posted:

Trump was also helped incredibly that the GOP primaries were overstuffed with candidates and none of them wanted to jeopardize their own chances by attacking Trump.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

EwokEntourage posted:

a new, massively expanded telecommunications act that gave the fcc or a possibly new regulatory bodily explicit permission to control and enforce broadband development and what not at all levels could go a long way. Other than that, nationalizing it (not gonna happen)

The Internet in 1996 and the Internet even ten years later, let alone twenty, is so vastly different that they should redo telecommunications law. They should redo most laws every 15-20 years, but congress is mostly too busy pissing in each other's eyes to care

The biggest problem is how powerful the telecom lobby has become in the interim, and why I suggest state level activism. If you need an example of what I mean, look how the Republicans reacted to the Title II order and net neutrality.

In more blue states GOP members have to at least pay lip service to not being corporate owned.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 11, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Lotka Volterra posted:

Honestly, it's the most disturbing thing about this election. Any time Trump puts together a coherent thought everyone "ooos" and "awwws" as if he were a child learning to use the toilet.

He's not being graded on a curve, he's graded on a completely different scale in a completely different system.

Yeah. It's so obvious that people want the head of the GOP to not be a crazy, incompetent, racist that they have to lower the bar for the "leader of the free world" to not make an rear end of himself for 48 hours. There's no discussion on any of his plans or the fact that he isn't actually good at anything other than scamming naive idiots. The vague "well he'll hire good people" is immediately undercut by not only the Bush administration disaster but the fact that he keeps floating out his daughter as a cabinet member. Imagine if Hillary started talking about appointing Chelsea as Secretary of State and the meltdown that would cause.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

nimby posted:

Are there any voice impersonators that do a Trump voice so amazing you can distinguish it from the real one? Cause even with audio I'm finding it harder and harder to believe a man running for president is saying all that he's been saying.

The best I've heard so far is Kyle Dunnigan.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
He's gonna make a general election turn any day now

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Radish posted:

Hillary not being able to get Obama's minority turnout numbers
Do we have any reason to believe this is true?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Inferior Third Season posted:

No, she may even be outperforming Obama's minority numbers because of how much of a bastard Trump is.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Inferior Third Season posted:

I doubt it, especially because of the war Trump seems be having with every minority group, but a lot of Democrats I know seem to believe that Obama's minority turnout was an anomaly that other politicians can't recreate.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Radish posted:

I doubt it, especially because of the war Trump seems be having with every minority group, but a lot of Democrats I know seem to believe that Obama's minority turnout was an anomaly that other politicians can't recreate.

Yeah I don't think Hillary would have garnered that turnout on her own, but Trump sure is going to drive some incredible turnout from the left.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Haven't a bunch of polls shown that Clinton is actually receiving a larger share of the black vote than Obama got? That's to say nothing of the movement of Hispanics to naturalize just to vote against Trump

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Trump is speaking in Miami right now and quintupling down on the Obama/Hillary as founders/MVPs of ISIS thing. :hfive:

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

nimby posted:

This guy is a perfect match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urv4S-M-8cg

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
New PPP poll of SC. The first poll of SC in months.
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_SC_81116.pdf
In a 4-way, Trump's up 41 to 39. Their favorables are virtually the same. 46% say they'd vote for a Republican House candidate versus 42% Democrat.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

To me the "black people voted for Obama but for SOME REASON won't vote as hard for other Democrats" feels kinda like they are saying people only voted for Obama because he is black but don't want to say it explicitly which is a bit frustrating. I am white as the driven snow so I can't speak for any minority group though, I just can look at numbers and read/listen to their opinions. I hope to be vindicated, at least in my social group, in November when Hillary does just as well and Trump's support from racists doesn't rocket him to victory.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Haven't a bunch of polls shown that Clinton is actually receiving a larger share of the black vote than Obama got? That's to say nothing of the movement of Hispanics to naturalize just to vote against Trump

iirc Trump is polling at 1% among African Americans and is in fourth place behind Clinton, Johnson, and Stein.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Didn't that KKK grand wizard out poll Donald in the minority demo? or was that an Onion thing

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pakled posted:

In a 4-way, Trump's up 41 to 39. Their favorables are virtually the same. 46% say they'd vote for a Republican House candidate versus 42% Democrat.

How does this compare to 2012?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Pakled posted:

Clinton up with voters under 65, but trails overall because seniors (boomers, really) are the worst.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

Did breaking up Ma Bell actually change anything?

Remember, all it did was turn a national monopoly into a few regional monopolies. Unless you were physically moving hundreds of miles, you wouldn't notice a difference.

It did at first. There was a telecom explosion, hundreds of new startups in every state, that rushed into the market. Few of them ever gained enough strength to survive, some were even con games that didn't survive. But yeah, it did do some good. Then, slowly regulations were relaxed and the monopolies took over again. There was no follow through by government.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

:staredog:

This man's face is too small for his head. The bald eagle is not working for him.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sharkie posted:

How does this compare to 2012?

In 2012, SC went 55 Romney/44 Obama.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

vyelkin posted:

iirc Trump is polling at 1% among African Americans and is in fourth place behind Clinton, Johnson, and Stein.

He's only in fourth place because they didn't add Harambe to the poll.

then he'd be 5th

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
any day now

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Boston Globe interviewed Scumbag Steve, née Blake Boston, about his support for Hillary Clinton and distaste for Donald Trump.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The Donald pulling out charts at his rally.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Can't you hear, can't you hear that pivot
You better take care, you better find ... a divot

:eng99:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
There were plenty of people on this very forum and probably in this very thread who believed during the primaries that Trump was going to be able to ride his success into the general election because "the rules don't apply to him so we have no idea what might happen." Turns out they do apply to him and always did you idiots.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There were plenty of people on this very forum and probably in this very thread who believed during the primaries that Trump was going to be able to ride his success into the general election because "the rules don't apply to him so we have no idea what might happen." Turns out they do apply to him and always did you idiots.

no you see Bernie is the only one who can beat him

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Boon posted:

The Donald pulling out charts at his rally.

Courtesy of Charles F. Murray?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

no you see Bernie is the only one who can beat him

H. A. Goodman hasn't written an article about just that on Huffington Post in the last week ... is he okay? :ohdear:

• Locked thread