Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

radical meme posted:

It did at first. There was a telecom explosion, hundreds of new startups in every state, that rushed into the market. Few of them ever gained enough strength to survive, some were even con games that didn't survive. But yeah, it did do some good. Then, slowly regulations were relaxed and the monopolies took over again. There was no follow through by government.

Aren't most of the baby bells owned by att (again) or Verizon now? Just like how all the standard oil spin offs eventually merged into chevron and Exxon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Disappointed if the Y-axis isn't yuuuge.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There were plenty of people on this very forum and probably in this very thread who believed during the primaries that Trump was going to be able to ride his success into the general election because "the rules don't apply to him so we have no idea what might happen." Turns out they do apply to him and always did you idiots.

I thought he was turning the election into a referendum on islam, making islam the new right-wing abortion wedge issue. I was wrong; Donald Trump has turned himself into the wedge issue.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

yessss, PM if you want an av cert or something.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lets talk about how good my President's mixtape is(especially the nighttime one.)

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/763744742072913920

Like this dude ends the playlist with "Say Yes". It must go down in the Oval Office.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There were plenty of people on this very forum and probably in this very thread who believed during the primaries that Trump was going to be able to ride his success into the general election because "the rules don't apply to him so we have no idea what might happen." Turns out they do apply to him and always did you idiots.

It's not so much that the rules of electoral reality don't apply to Trump, but that the media really doesn't want those rules to apply (consciously or not). If he can avoid publicly making GBS threads himself for 24 straight hours, much of the media feels compelled to take him seriously. If he were to stay on message for a whole week, you better believe cable news pundits and anchors not named Rachel Maddow or Chris Hayes will be treating him like a normal candidate whose ideas have just as much merit as Clinton's.

Of course, he's not going to stay on message for a whole week, so we don't really have to worry about that ever happening. And he's still not going to win even if it did.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

tumblr hype man posted:

yessss, PM if you want an av cert or something.

That's a loving great av.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I missed it if this was posted. Breakdown of actual Trump tweets vs campaign staff using the account, since they appear to be using different phones: http://varianceexplained.org/r/trump-tweets/

Looks like some Trump staff are getting Androids in the near future.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
So the Florida officer who shot the woman during the training exercise the other day was fired from a previous dept for letting his K9 maul a cyclist.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Demon Of The Fall posted:

So the Florida officer who shot the woman during the training exercise the other day was fired from a previous dept for letting his K9 maul a cyclist.

well yeah, we don't want to allow this idiot to damage police property biting a bicycle frame by accident

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

poor life choice posted:

H. A. Goodman hasn't written an article about just that on Huffington Post in the last week ... is he okay? :ohdear:

lol how have I never heard of this guy before today

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Harrow posted:

If he were to stay on message for a whole week, you better believe cable news pundits and anchors not named Rachel Maddow or Chris Hayes will be treating him like a normal candidate whose ideas have just as much merit as Clinton's.

Trump's convention speech more or less called for a thousand years of blood, but because he didn't go off on an insane tangent, the media treated it seriously.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Trump won the GOP primary because 45% of the 15% of eligible voters who participated in the GOP primary were primed to vote for whoever the most openly hateful loving bastard available happened to be.

Beyond being a 6' high bleached anus, Trump has no political talent whatsoever. Every time the news cycle looked to be turning against Clinton, he found a way to beat himself even more.

Emanuel Collective posted:

Trump's convention speech more or less called for a thousand years of blood, but because he didn't go off on an insane tangent, the media treated it seriously.

I just heard NPR talk about his economic speech seriously this morning. :wtc:

Luckily Trump has shown no sign of being able to sustain even that level of "sanity" for any amount of time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Truly, we live in the best of all possible worlds.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Luckily Trump has shown no sign of being able to sustain even that level of "sanity" for any amount of time.

During the speech he managed to sound like a typical Republican. 'Cut taxes, slash regulations,' the things we're all so used to hearing they're part of accepted political discourse.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sean10mm posted:

Was it Cokie Roberts? She's all about taking Trump seriously because journalists shouldn't have public political opinions or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The rules, in fact, don't apply to him. The past two weeks would have completely and utterly murdered any candidate's campaign who isn't Trump. Instead we're waiting for him to stop making GBS threads himself long enough for people to go "Well, sure, he hasn't said anything obscene in three days so I guess he's all better now."

Remember that Romney's 47% comment haunted his entire drat campaign. Trump has worse daily.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Harrow posted:

Was it Cokie Roberts? She's all about taking Trump seriously because journalists shouldn't have public political opinions or something.

No, it was some guy whose name escapes me. One of the Morning Edition regulars IIRC.

Not describing actual reality in the name of "neutrality" is the dumbest loving thing the "respectable" news media does.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

NPR is good for what it's good for but its pretty much CNN tier when it comes to politics.

Nice
Polite
Republicans

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Epic High Five posted:

NPR is good for what it's good for but its pretty much CNN tier when it comes to politics.

Nice
Polite
Republicans

They have to be or they would get all of their funding cut, and do you want to listen to pledge drives every week when you're just trying to listen to Car Talk?

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Dexo posted:

Lets talk about how good my President's mixtape is(especially the nighttime one.)

Like this dude ends the playlist with "Say Yes". It must go down in the Oval Office.

He had me at Sara Bareilles and Janelle Monae. :kimchi: #RepealThe22nd

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

The rules, in fact, don't apply to him. The past two weeks would have completely and utterly murdered any candidate's campaign who isn't Trump. Instead we're waiting for him to stop making GBS threads himself long enough for people to go "Well, sure, he hasn't said anything obscene in three days so I guess he's all better now."

Remember that Romney's 47% comment haunted his entire drat campaign. Trump has worse daily.

Romney's 47% fit into the narrative of out-of-touch weird rich man with special underpants.

How the gently caress can you form a narrative around a man who is the campaign equivolent of a coked-up schizophrenic on speed?

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The blandest, most unflavored yoghurt of candidates could be running a better campaign than Trump right now by just listening to the people hired to keep things on track. I can't imagine anybody else doing such a poor job.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/763753351586734081

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Romney's 47% fit into the narrative of out-of-touch weird rich man with special underpants.

How the gently caress can you form a narrative around a man who is the campaign equivolent of a coked-up schizophrenic on speed?

The bold is the narrative, sweetums.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

pacerhimself posted:

The blandest, most unflavored yoghurt of candidates could be running a better campaign than Trump right now by just listening to the people hired to keep things on track. I can't imagine anybody else doing such a poor job.

The blandest, most unflavored yoghurt of candidates is running a better campaign than Trump right now by just listening to the people hired to keep things on track.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Has this been brought up yet?

quote:

WBTV’s Nick Ochsner posted the first page of Bordini’s complaint on Twitter. The incident took place in Phillip’s Jeep in February of this year, reportedly, when Phillip “produced a pistol, put his right index finger on the trigger, and drove the barrel into Vincent’s knee cap.”

Bordini went straight to campaign officials, the suit says, speaking first to the Trump campaign’s regional director of western North Carolina. “The Director told Vincent that he, too, had been brandished upon by Phillip,” the lawsuit says. “He was terrified.”

According to Ochsner, “campaign leadership, including then-camp mngr Lewandowski, refused to act.”

Bordini says he spoke with Lewandowski on the phone in March about the incidents, including the fact that Phillip had threatened at least two other staffers at gunpoint.

:psyduck:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

This might be this thread's jam: Best of Enemies, a documentary released last year about the Vidal vs. Buckley debates of 1968, is on Netflix.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Because of course

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Romney never got down like Trump is, to be fair.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

My first move would have been to call the police, not people higher up in the campaign, but that's just me maybe

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The bold is the narrative, sweetums.

It's too hard a sell in all three parts. First, what schizophrenic is rich enough to be coked up 24/7? Second, if mental healthcare were so abysmal in the united states, how can a coked-up schizophrenic acquire speed? Third, holy poo poo look at that dumpster on fire and NOW THEY'RE TAKING A poo poo ON THE FIRE YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHAT TRUMP DID NEXT! CHECK OUT THE EXCLUSIVE COVERAGE ONLY ON #CNN

(uncensored on #HuffPo)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

pacerhimself posted:

Hillary doesn't have to do poo poo.

Like her team and campaign strategists have to spend p much zero goddamn time thinking of ways to attack him or thinking about Narratives they need to push and attack him on. Just lay low and let him keep talking.

She's probably saving so much money that's going to be so useful to downticket Democrats.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Epic High Five posted:

Because of course

Although the Second Amendment people, maybe there is, I don't know.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Spiritus Nox posted:

Romney never got down like Trump is, to be fair.

Hence the special underpants jab I just posted.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

EwokEntourage posted:

Aren't most of the baby bells owned by att (again) or Verizon now? Just like how all the standard oil spin offs eventually merged into chevron and Exxon

There were originally Ameritech, Bell Atlantic, BellSouth, NYNEX, Pacific Telesis, Southwestern Bell, and US West.

Bell Atlantic bought NYNEX in 1997 and GTE in 2000 to become Verizon.

Southwestern Bell bought Pacific Telesis, Ameritech, its old parent AT&T, and BellSouth. It's now AT&T.

(US West was bought by Qwest who were bought by CenturyLink.)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ReidRansom posted:

My first move would have been to call the police, not people higher up in the campaign, but that's just me maybe

You know what they say about snitches, right?

They get their knees blown out by a .45

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

It's too hard a sell in all three parts. First, what schizophrenic is rich enough to be coked up 24/7? Second, if mental healthcare were so abysmal in the united states, how can a coked-up schizophrenic acquire speed? Third, holy poo poo look at that dumpster on fire and NOW THEY'RE TAKING A poo poo ON THE FIRE YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHAT TRUMP DID NEXT! CHECK OUT THE EXCLUSIVE COVERAGE ONLY ON #CNN

(uncensored on #HuffPo)

Given his polling, it's apparently not a very hard sell.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Luigi Thirty posted:

There were originally Ameritech, Bell Atlantic, BellSouth, NYNEX, Pacific Telesis, Southwestern Bell, and US West.

Bell Atlantic bought NYNEX in 1997 and GTE in 2000 to become Verizon.

Southwestern Bell bought Pacific Telesis, Ameritech, its old parent AT&T, and BellSouth. It's now AT&T.

(US West was bought by Qwest who were bought by CenturyLink.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Dexo posted:

Gonna need a Spotify playlist of these ASAP.

• Locked thread