Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

That's unfortunate news for Hillary. What next, is she going to lose Alabama? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Watch Hillary Clinton be FDR with better legs.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Police: "sorry but this is the south, there's no law against a white guy pulling a loaded gun on you for no reason"

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Dexo posted:

Hillary doesn't have to do poo poo.

Like her team and campaign strategists have to spend p much zero goddamn time thinking of ways to attack him or thinking about Narratives they need to push and attack him on. Just lay low and let him keep talking.

She's probably saving so much money that's going to be so useful to downticket Democrats.

Their strategy should be to continue to poke at his thin skin and let him continue to implode in response.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Has this been brought up yet?

:psyduck:

I just want to know what the guy was so upset about.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Epic High Five posted:

Police: "sorry but this is the south, there's no law against a white guy pulling a loaded gun on you for no reason"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9IyiH1D6XM

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

My Imaginary GF posted:

Watch Hillary Clinton be FDR with better legs.

She's the first woman president, they're called gams.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Antti posted:

This might be this thread's jam: Best of Enemies, a documentary released last year about the Vidal vs. Buckley debates of 1968, is on Netflix.

I could only watch that 15 minutes at a time, as I grew an intense anachronistic hatred of Buckley's perverse conservatism and pseudointellectual bullshittery

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

thank you for brightening my day with this, a clip of one of my favorite shows

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

The Glumslinger posted:

They have to be or they would get all of their funding cut, and do you want to listen to pledge drives every week when you're just trying to listen to Car Talk?

Who the hell still wants to listen to Car Talk in TYOOL 2016, a show that ended 4 years ago?

I can't wait for it to be 2035 and, still, we're hearing about someone's 1987 Toyota Camry.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I could only watch that 15 minutes at a time, as I grew an intense anachronistic hatred of Buckley's perverse conservatism and pseudointellectual bullshittery

Buckley was a straight up Monarchist and Nazi

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Epic High Five posted:

God help you if you call him a crypto-fascist!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Epic High Five posted:

Stop calling me a crytponazi, you queer.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

MariusLecter posted:

God help you if you call him a crypto-fascist!

Now listen here you little queer

efb

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ciaphas posted:

I wish Google Fiber would come to Las Vegas just to poo poo in Cox Communications' mouth but I know it will never happen because I am cursed :smith:

In seriousness Google only bothers to bring Fiber places that they can spend very little money rolling it out, and then they still refuse to wire the whole place. Some of the first Google Fiber cities still have large swathes with no Google Fiber service, usually the poorer areas. They're just another heartless ISP after all.

EwokEntourage posted:

Aren't most of the baby bells owned by att (again) or Verizon now? Just like how all the standard oil spin offs eventually merged into chevron and Exxon

Yes but it's irrelevant, together AT&T and Verizon own like 51% of the territory the original AT&T owned for phone service. Both AT&T and Verizon are constantly dumping off landline services (and their associated residential fiber and DSL services) to companies like Frontier and Fairpoint because they aren't profitable enough. For instance, Verizon sold off a ton of their service in Oregon to Frontier and a ton of their service in Maine to Fairpoint.

Landlines are dying after all, not a growth business.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

pacerhimself posted:

Their strategy should be to continue to poke at his thin skin and let him continue to implode in response.

That kind of seems to be exactly what they are doing.

The whole situation is like a boxer watching their beyond completely drunk opponent drunk stumble around the ring getting tied up in the ropes, falling down, and somehow punching themselves in the face. The real body blows are going to be coming but for right now the best course of action is to stay loose with a few light jabs, watch out for a random haymaker, and try to convince him to go punch the metal post because it made some comments about how small his hands are.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/NickOchsnerWBTV/status/763764604736565248
Trump's campaign workers are pulling guns on each other :lol:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's kind of funny how I've barely heard a thing from or about the Clinton camp since the DNC. I totally get it, never interrupt your opponent when he's making a mistake or a dozen, she's got no incentive to do anything but lay low, keep her rallies on message, and let the rest of the world watch Trump alienate 80 percent of humanity, but it's still amusing to see in action.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Phone posted:

Stop calling me a crytponazi, you queer.

Goatman Sacks posted:

Now listen here you little queer

efb

Y'all forgot the best part, where Buckley (not a terribly imposing guy) threatens to sock Vidal in the goddamn face.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/NickOchsnerWBTV/status/763764604736565248
Trump's campaign workers are pulling guns on each other :lol:

Is that actually how claim forms are formatted in the states or does this person just have a terrible lawyer?

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's kind of funny how I've barely heard a thing from or about the Clinton camp since the DNC. I totally get it, never interrupt your opponent when he's making a mistake or a dozen, she's got no incentive to do anything but lay low, keep her rallies on message, and let the rest of the world watch Trump alienate 80 percent of humanity, but it's still amusing to see in action.

She made a couple of dumb email stumbles. Also she has a major economic speech today that will likely get panned by the liberal media because it will have boring details and numbers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Everybody say Hi Ken Paxton

quote:

A federal district judge in Texas will hold a hearing Friday to determine whether he should enter a nationwide injunction blocking the Obama administration from protecting transgender people against discrimination.

Republican Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton (photo) has filed a lawsuit on behalf of 13 states that seeks to prevent the administration from implementing its interpretation of two federal laws that prohibit discrimination based on sex. The administration maintains — and numerous federal courts have held — that Title VII and Title IX also cover trans people.

However, Paxton's office alleges the administration wants to turn schools and workplaces "into laboratories for a massive social experiment" and is "running roughshod over commonsense policies protecting children and basic privacy rights." In requesting a nationwide preliminary injunction, Paxton's office cited concerns about “the nature of the nudity” trans people may display, and the “bodily functions they may perform in intimate areas.”

The lawsuit was filed in response to guidance issued by the U.S. Education and Justice departments in May, saying public schools risk losing federal funding if they don't allow trans students to use restrooms based on their gender identity. But the Obama administration maintains the guidance isn't legally binding, and has questioned whether Paxton's office has standing to challenge it, given that the case doesn't involve any specific controversy over trans restroom access in Texas.

"Indeed, plaintiffs have identified no enforcement action threatened or taken against them as a result of defendants’ interpretations, nor have they established that the guidance documents have any binding legal effect," the federal government wrote in opposition to Paxton's request for a preliminary injunction. "Instead, they have alleged no more than an abstract disagreement with the agencies’ interpretation of the law. ... If the defendant agencies seek to apply this interpretation to plaintiffs in a future enforcement proceeding, plaintiffs will have ample opportunity to raise the arguments that they prematurely seek to assert in this case."

In the wake of the guidance, Paxton's office drafted a model policy restricting trans restroom access, then shopped it to multiple Texas school districts. The policy was eventually adopted by the tiny Harrold district, on the Oklahoma border near Wichita Falls, which is the lead plaintiff in the case. Until now, district was best known as the first to allow teachers to carry guns, and its superintendent, David Thweatt, has said he doesn't think trans people exist.

LGBT advocates say Paxton deliberately filed the case in the region presided over by U.S. District Judge Reed O'Connor, who last year issued a horrific ruling — also in response to a lawsuit from the AG's office — blocking gay workers from taking unpaid leave to care for their sick partners. Ken Upton, senior counsel for Lambda Legal, called Paxton's lawsuit over the administration's guidance on trans students "a big circus, mostly for political gain."

"I guess he doesn’t have anything else to do. He must not have any person problems — oh wait, apparently he does," Upton said, alluding to the fact that Paxton is currently facing first-degree felony charges for alleged securities fraud. "His claim to fame is going to be, 'How many ways can I get a dig in at the federal government?'"

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/johnwright/anti_lgbt_texas_judge_to_consider_nationwide_injunction_against_trans_people_peeing

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
PPP:

Florida:

Hillary: 46
Trump: 43

Rubio: 42
Murphy: 40

New Hampshire:

Hillary: 50
Trump: 37

Hassan: 47
Ayotte: 42

Safe Dem states + CO + PA + VA + NH = 273 EVs. Hildawg has won.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Suffolk has Trump just +1 in Iowa, both in the head-to-head and 4-way polls

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Epic High Five posted:

Gore "Tim McVeigh was a martyr for liberty" Vidal.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Quandary posted:

Gonna need a Spotify playlist of these ASAP.

It's up there already

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dexo posted:

Lets talk about how good my President's mixtape is(especially the nighttime one.)

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/763744742072913920

Like this dude ends the playlist with "Say Yes". It must go down in the Oval Office.
How is Sinnerman a daytime song

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Pakled posted:

I'm curious to see what the floor is for Trump. At this point, though, what within the realm of possibility could he possibly say that would turn off any of his remaining supporters? He could probably promise to immediately nuke Iran and use the n-word in the same sentence and his 35-40% of the vote would remain intact.

I've said it before but I'll be impressed if he drops below Bush '07. I feel like that's your theoretical 'floor'

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Man, y'all gotta watch this great interview with Chris Cuomo taking Giuliani to the woodshed:

http://mediamatters.org/video/2016/...-refusal/212326

Trump has this amazing effect on Republican politicians. He's basically managed to make people like Giuliani agree that he (Giuliania) wouldn't have apologized for those remarks against John McCain either.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

i always enjoy seeing right-wing history nerds on the internet insist that Franco wasn't actually a fascist, merely a Catholic traditionalist and authoritarian. checkmate libtard :smug:

also Buckley said black people weren't ready yet for full equality with whites in the 50s and 60s and defended that position for decades after

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Trump saying that Obama founded ISIS is like saying King George III founded the United States of America.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I'm amazed no Republican senator has made an anti-Trump ad parodying the old "New York City?!" salsa ads. Distance yourself from this garbage man, still seem like you're stickin' it to the liberals, and get in a nice dogwhistle dig at the Jews at the same time.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Uranium 235 posted:

Trump saying that Obama founded ISIS is like saying King George III founded the United States of America.

No, more like saying George IV did.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

emdash posted:

Suffolk has Trump just +1 in Iowa, both in the head-to-head and 4-way polls

I don't get this, Iowa is the only state outside of, like, West Virginia where Trump is over-performing Romney & McCain. Iowa isn't anything like West Virginia.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Emanuel Collective posted:

I don't get this, Iowa is the only state outside of, like, West Virginia where Trump is over-performing Romney & McCain. Iowa isn't anything like West Virginia.

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/763782118329778176

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007

Petr posted:

I'm amazed no Republican senator has made an anti-Trump ad parodying the old "New York City?!" salsa ads. Distance yourself from this garbage man, still seem like you're stickin' it to the liberals, and get in a nice dogwhistle dig at the Jews at the same time.

I wonder if those were regional ads. I know they played in Texas.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I like how Trump is so stupid he just can't leave it at a nebulous "Obama created the conditions which allowed ISIS to gain power" statement which while not true the talking heads could at least argue and not look like absolute cretins. However he had to say Obama literally founded ISIS like he flew over there and got all the terrorist leaders together like in those right wing email parodies LF wrote years ago.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Gore "Tim McVeigh was a martyr for liberty" Vidal.

I read that essay. Gore wasn't saying that McVeigh was a good guy, he was saying that McVeigh was standing up for his (terrible) principles and the media refused to consider any narrative other than "McVeigh is insane, he had no motivation other than hating America." This was troubling to Vidal because it meant we as a nation are incapable of accepting the consequences of our policies, specifically that we create enemies out of people who aren't crazy in the first place and some aren't crazy when they commit acts of terrorism. Vidal tried to discuss this on media panels and he was treated like poo poo because people thought he was defending McVeigh and hating on America.

edit: McVeigh's specific grievance was the Waco siege, his attack was precisely 1 year after that

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 11, 2016

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

OddObserver posted:

No, more like saying George IV did.
Touché

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Is that actually how claim forms are formatted in the states or does this person just have a terrible lawyer?

Getting fairly informal with court documents isn't completely unheard of, it happens more than you might think.

It just kind of depends on the court, really. A good lawyer knows how to play to his/her audience.

Source: Was a judicial extern in law school and was fairly shocked at some of the things in complaints/answers that the judge didn't even bat an eye at.

• Locked thread