Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Radio Paranoia posted:

It's extra funny since Die Antwoord have lifted their entire schtick from South Africa's Cape gangsters and got in trouble for "appropriating" Jane Alexander's The Butcher Boys in one of their music videos.

Looking at the history of the two members, I'm like 99% certain that Die Antwoord is two South African hipster artists who decided it would be funny to make a semi-satirical Zef band and accidentally got famous for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
A car hit someone at a BLM protest so of course imgur is jacking off to it.

http://imgur.com/gallery/N1bKXkJ

My favorite post is the completely oblivious white dude.

Snubber18-12 pts36m
Does anyone else feel like this post is slightly racist? Maybe it's just because of all of the other anti-Black Live Matter posts.

Response:

ProfessionalCanadian2 pts16m
How is being anti-BLM mean you're racist? Am I sexist for not particularly liking the feminist movement?

Edit: Looks like the post was removed from the gallery. Probably because people were dropping n-bombs pretty regularly.

Push El Burrito has a new favorite as of 16:31 on Aug 11, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

ProfessionalCanadian2 pts16m
How is being anti-BLM mean you're racist? Am I sexist for not particularly liking the feminist movement?

Well yes, but...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Guilty Spork posted:

Also when B&N first came on the scene they put a lot of smaller bookstores (like the one depicted in the comic) out of business. Libraries were a thing for centuries and bookstores did fine.

Around here B&N and Borders put poo poo like Waldenbooks out of business.

We did have an awesome local bookstore chain that went out of business, but that was as much to mismanagement as competition (the owner publicly said he'd never expand into the suburbs because no one reads there). He ended up closing all of his huge bookstores, but kept his comics shop which is still open 20 years later.

unoplank
Aug 3, 2004
I lurk...
Meth-head dad shows how to be strict with your children.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
IoSM: you should probably poo poo the gently caress up while ur ahead kiddo!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Strong family ties I see.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I get the feeling that's not really his daughter

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

chitoryu12 posted:

Looking at the history of the two members, I'm like 99% certain that Die Antwoord is two South African hipster artists who decided it would be funny to make a semi-satirical Zef band and accidentally got famous for it.

What's the other 1%?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I get the feeling that's not really his daughter

Wait so that's basically incest RP? jfc lol

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MizPiz posted:

What's the other 1%?

They legitimately got attracted to the Zef lifestyle and started Die Antwoord after that, rather than staring as satire and sticking with it when it became famous.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I like that song by them that samples Delia Derbyshire but that's all really.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

America is the worst.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
At least they used the 48-star version of Old Glory so it's not on the hook for Vietnam or Iraq, I guess.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Hm except one of the side was technically full of rebels and traitors.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Some classic imgur for you

I really cant tell if they're serious or kidding anymore

:what:"uh that's satire written by mras"
:reject:"yeah well it still makes me angry because there are totally real feminazi SJWs who say stuff like that"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

chitoryu12 posted:

Pretty much. Before Die Antwoord Watkin Jones (or Ninja or whatever the gently caress) fronted a band called Max Normal where the whole shtick was that they were a corporate rap group, dressed in suits, carrying suitcases and whatnot. I left SA a while back so I don't know when the transition happened but it was quite a thing seeing the new look.
What I kind of dislike about them is that they fully embraced the image to the point that it stopped being an art-thing and it feels like they are becoming the characters they were supposed to be acting as.

Bahahaha because libraries were putting bookstores out of business for hundreds of years, right. If anything, bigger box store style bookshops drove out the smaller mom and pop bookstores, and now those big stores are being put out of business due to Amazon, but sure, blame libraries, something that is allowing a poor family the opportunity to get books for their children to read.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Fathis Munk posted:

Hm except one of the side was technically full of rebels and traitors.

Why do people keep bringing this up like it's a point when America's reason for existence is rebellion and treason

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Because "except one side was literally fighting for the right to enslave a race" will just make the people you're arguing with shrug and grin

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Blind Pineapple posted:

At least they used the 48-star version of Old Glory so it's not on the hook for Vietnam or Iraq, I guess.

Quick and dirty edit for the silliness of it:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

America is the worst.

If these are the same kind of people who invoke "What would ML King have thought *shakes head*" post this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selma_to_Montgomery_marches

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

''If I'm on my way home to food or some sex I will straight up murder you!!''

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
"What animals, peacefully protesting on the street. Doing an act of civil disobedience that forces people to acknowledge them!"

unwantedplatypus has a new favorite as of 01:43 on Aug 12, 2016

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

NotAnArtist posted:

''If I'm on my way home to food or some sex I will straight up murder you!!''

Well, we know why that guy's never murdered anyone :D

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

quote:

I'd rather the franchise die a terrible death than watch a sequel to this crap. Friends finally broke me down to go see it and holy hell was it awful. I've only ever walked out of one movie in my life that I bought a ticket for and this would have been the second if not for my wife being there. There was literally only one joke I would have laughed at in the whole film, but couldn't because by that point I wanted to shoot myself.

Plothole filled crap wrapped around Dumb and Dumber level humor. I'd rather watch Pixels. I'd rather watch Paul Blart 2.

Also if this was made to fit the modern zeitgeist, I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/for...lery_6397&pid=1

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Data Graham posted:

Because "except one side was literally fighting for the right to enslave a race" will just make the people you're arguing with shrug and grin

It was about states' rights to allow people to buy and sell other people :bahgawd:

It is fun to ask Confederate fans what states' rights other than slavery were at stake.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

unwantedplatypus posted:

"What animals, peacefully protesting on the street. Doing an act of civil disobedience that forces people to acknowledge them!"

/throws tea in harbor

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

AlbieQuirky posted:

It was about states' rights to allow people to buy and sell other people :bahgawd:

It is fun to ask Confederate fans what states' rights other than slavery were at stake.

Taxes is the answer i usually hear.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

RFC2324 posted:

Taxes is the answer i usually hear.

CSA federal taxes were way higher than USA pre-war taxes or wartime Union federal taxes, though.

Unless they're talking about import tariffs? Which were far less advantageous to the CSA economy than the USA tariff structure had been.

The CSA was an enormous clusterfuck whose laws and policies constantly shot their fake country and stupid war in their own feet. People who honor the bravery of individual Confederate soldiers have a point, perhaps, but the CSA government was even more idiotic, crony-riddled, and corrupt than the immediately preceding USA government of the time, which is frankly quite an achievement given that the Buchanan administration was one of the worst in US history.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 03:51 on Aug 12, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Byzantine posted:

"Helpmeet" is the archaic form of "helpmate".

Yeah, I just figure they're reading it as "help meet", two disjointed words that don't seem to quite make sense together, which is fair. Helpmate would be a better modern-day "I understand what you mean" translation.

chitoryu12 posted:

Die Antwoord and their fans are accusing the Suicide Squad movie of ripping off their style for the Joker and Harley Quinn (pretty sure their style was all taken from certain comics that already existed, but whatever).

That Joker thing definitely did not come from comics, it came from "drug dealers on Instagram." I mean, they already pointed out where the "inspiration" came from, and it's something you can see pretty easily. I don't know why Die Antwoord is so convinced it was them in particular. Are they drug dealers on Instagram?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Midnight Voyager posted:

That Joker thing definitely did not come from comics, it came from "drug dealers on Instagram." I mean, they already pointed out where the "inspiration" came from, and it's something you can see pretty easily. I don't know why Die Antwoord is so convinced it was them in particular. Are they drug dealers on Instagram?

Their facebook posts claim Jared Leto told them that the director was mentioning them and their style a lot on set, and one of them was invited to the premier. I would not at all be surprised if the director mentioned them to the art director and actors as inspiration, but it's not close to infringement. But yeah, that version of the characters didn't come from any comic book source, especially for the Joker.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Your Computer posted:

Some classic imgur for you

I really cant tell if they're serious or kidding anymore

:what:"uh that's satire written by mras"
:reject:"yeah well it still makes me angry because there are totally real feminazi SJWs who say stuff like that"

Reverse the genders and change "beauty" to "kindness" and you have NiceGuy.txt

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Byzantine posted:

Why do people keep bringing this up like it's a point when America's reason for existence is rebellion and treason

Yes but the war for independence was a successful uprising and the civil war was not. :v:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Honestly I can appreciate the sentiment but man. Whoever wrote that must be 70+ judging by the overall phrasing and such.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
who she? https://imgur.com/gallery/duC2FrX

God I despise imgur and its community. How loving shallow and pathetic can people be? And what's worse is that it has thousands of upvotes and genuine answers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Midnight Voyager posted:

The exact style was based on more modern crime, but the Joker being tattooed isn't a new thing.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

Tracula posted:

God I despise imgur and its community. How loving shallow and pathetic can people be? And what's worse is that it has thousands of upvotes and genuine answers.

IoSM: name that female

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Tracula posted:

All of the internet and they need Imgur for jerk off material.

http://imgur.com/gallery/103Bx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

chitoryu12 posted:

The exact style was based on more modern crime, but the Joker being tattooed isn't a new thing.

Thomas Harris should sue.