Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's great when sci-fi is all like "What if racism happened to robots? Wouldn't think it was so great then, would you?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Gail Wynand posted:

This is almost as dumb as when people went after them for using the term "mechanical apartheid" and it turned out that a French African dude came up with it

I'm not 100% tracking on this one. Are you saying that Deus Ex using Aug Lives Matter and Mechanical Apartheid is fine/not offensive? I personally think it's slightly gross for using BLM as the template, but it's fairly obvious that it isn't a thin coat of paint like with All/Blue/Coal/Ball "spin offs".

I actually don't have a strong attachment to the games, I just know that they're mechanically robust and the narratives being told are head and shoulders above most video game scripts.

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's great when sci-fi is all like "What if racism happened to robots? Wouldn't think it was so great then, would you?"

It's even greater when morons find out that most sci-fi are allegories for contemporary problems/issues and whine that "social skeleton warriors are ruining my sci-fi".

Phone fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 11, 2016

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Supercar Gautier posted:

all scifi is is clumsily applying modern social issues to space monsters and robots

i'm struggling to see why the Deus Ex thing is offensive. It's no more so than X-men mapping themselves to minority issues.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

berserker posted:

edit: god drat Giuliani is such a piece of poo poo

edit: GOD drat he's a piece of poo poo holy poo poo he's almost worse that Trump wtf.

It's pretty clear that Giuliani would be a not only willing but EAGER Himmler or Goehring to Trump's Hitler. Newt would be a Happy Goebbels.

One of the really disturbing things in this election is how it clearly illustrates how many of your friends and neighbors would be a willing mob of torch wielding Red Hats, just looking to be told what windows to smash and what people to trample.

As far as Trump recovering in the polls, here's what limits it: The lowest knuckle dragging rednecks (the folks who would not be afraid to be depicted on camera saying "kill the bitch") will never leave him. Let's say that's 30-35% (and I WISH it wasn't that high). But the respectable Republicans with a little money and education, the ones that read the Wall Street Journal over breakfast in Shaker Heights, OH, Grosse Point, MI, Falls Church VA etc., when they or their wives flee the Trump mob because "Holy poo poo just LOOK at that guy", they won't come back. Most of them will probably just not vote, or vote for Gary Johnson just because their lizard brain tells them they CAN'T vote for Clinton, but they won't come back to Trump. So you say "but that's a minority of Republicans", but they live in the swingy states and will keep places like VA and PA out of reach for Trump and make FL a much tougher mountain to climb.

By the way, how many Red State goons are suddenly hearing a lot of righties talk up the virtues of Gary Johnson? I know I am. I say nothing, but nod gently, while a subtle smile plays across my lips.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

What I get out of this Deus Ex thing is, I think the devs want the veneer of credibility that comes from alluding to real-world issues, but the last thing they ever ever want is to actually engage with those issues or to have their game evaluated on how well it does that.

The game's creators have even commented that they want to leave the issue open for the player to decide their position, which seems kinda crass and cowardly when you're invoking a topic as specific and serious as BLM.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I show lefties who are considering Johnson as a protest vote all kinds of poo poo illustrating how terrible he is, but right wingers I just leave alone.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Boon posted:

So correct me if I'm wrong, but the Dems need to pick up a minimum of 4 seats in order to push through the SCOTUS picks, 5 to make sure the VP continues to be irrelevant.

So locks look like:
- Wisconsin,
- Illinois

Probable Gains:
- New Hampshire
- Pennsylvania

Toss-Up:
- Florida
- Ohio
- Nevada

Losing Nevada would mean that probable/locks would only net 3 seats. Florida doesn't strike me as particularly likely to flip, nor does Ohio. So what's the chances of maintaining Nevada?

Indiana is a probable pick up now.

Based on Q-Polls (which skew right), Ohio is a good pick up opportunity, but will come down to turn out (advantage D). NC seems like a possible shot to, depending on turnout.

Fla is very close, and I think will depend on how well Rubio can quarantine himself from Trump.

Nevada is iffy, but could also come down to Latino turnout, which is hard to poll.

Missouri and Arizona could also come into play, but by the time those seats flip Dems have crushed Republicans.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

i'm struggling to see why the Deus Ex thing is offensive. It's no more so than X-men mapping themselves to minority issues.
This is accurate. All sci-fi/fantasy needs a certain amount of shorthand to allow you to develop a world without having to spend hours slowly explaining every aspect of it. Drawing on large, recognizable real-world parallels allows them to quickly establish their themes and settings. It's a narrative tool, not a statement on the validity of the real-world BLM protests.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zwabu posted:

It's pretty clear that Giuliani would be a not only willing but EAGER Himmler or Goehring to Trump's Hitler. Newt would be a Happy Goebbels.

One of the really disturbing things in this election is how it clearly illustrates how many of your friends and neighbors would be a willing mob of torch wielding Red Hats, just looking to be told what windows to smash and what people to trample.

As far as Trump recovering in the polls, here's what limits it: The lowest knuckle dragging rednecks (the folks who would not be afraid to be depicted on camera saying "kill the bitch") will never leave him. Let's say that's 30-35% (and I WISH it wasn't that high). But the respectable Republicans with a little money and education, the ones that read the Wall Street Journal over breakfast in Shaker Heights, OH, Grosse Point, MI, Falls Church VA etc., when they or their wives flee the Trump mob because "Holy poo poo just LOOK at that guy", they won't come back. Most of them will probably just not vote, or vote for Gary Johnson just because their lizard brain tells them they CAN'T vote for Clinton, but they won't come back to Trump. So you say "but that's a minority of Republicans", but they live in the swingy states and will keep places like VA and PA out of reach for Trump and make FL a much tougher mountain to climb.

By the way, how many Red State goons are suddenly hearing a lot of righties talk up the virtues of Gary Johnson? I know I am. I say nothing, but nod gently, while a subtle smile plays across my lips.

I've heard a little bit of Johnson praise here, but mostly the GOP around me are throwing in with Trump because they are so scared that racial unrest is suddenly coming back and Trump will protect them from Mexican criminals with his magic wall. They think it's so unfair the media is calling him racist when Killlary is murdering babies. I live in Arkansas, so I've long since learned to just not discuss politics because most voters here are either bigots or morons.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Based on Q-Polls (which skew right), Ohio is a good pick up opportunity, but will come down to turn out (advantage D). NC seems like a possible shot to, depending on turnout.

Fla is very close, and I think will depend on how well Rubio can quarantine himself from Trump.

Nevada is iffy, but could also come down to Latino turnout, which is hard to poll.

Missouri and Arizona could also come into play, but by the time those seats flip Dems have crushed Republicans.

Arizona is more likely to flip than Missouri. McCain threw in his lot with Trump and now the dems are /hammering/ him for it. HRC Camp support is also a boon for the dems there.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

iospace posted:

Arizona is more likely to flip than Missouri. McCain threw in his lot with Trump and now the dems are /hammering/ him for it. HRC Camp support is also a boon for the dems there.

Yeah I think AZ is more likely, but I don't think either is likely unless it's a wash for R's OR if McCain gets primaried.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Yeah I think AZ is more likely, but I don't think either is likely unless it's a wash for R's OR if McCain gets primaried.

When is the Arizona primary anyway?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

iospace posted:

August 30

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

The last poll on RCP of the general has them tied, but that was from June.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I've been listening to that Obama playlist. The few songs I haven't heard before like Me Gustas Tu are pretty good, in addition to all the great classics I already knew, but man, that lovely Edward Sharpe song really breaks up an otherwise good playlist. I managed to forget about it, thanks for ruining that Obama.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Phone posted:

It's even greater when morons find out that most sci-fi are allegories for contemporary problems/issues and whine that "social skeleton warriors are ruining my sci-fi".

Is this some new SJW permutation I've never heard of, or some truly inspired autocorrection?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I've been listening to that Obama playlist. The few songs I haven't heard before like Me Gustas Tu are pretty good, in addition to all the great classics I already knew, but man, that lovely Edward Sharpe song really breaks up an otherwise good playlist. I managed to forget about it, thanks for ruining that Obama.
Which one? They're not a band with one lovely song.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Indiana is as close to a lock as you're going to get right now. Bayh is the platonic ideal of swing/lean R state Democratic wet dream.

Ohio is not going to happen. Strickland has gotten owned by Portman so far and still has the stink of 2010 on him. Portman has 9 points on him right now, and short of Portman having an Akin-level gaffe (unlikely since he's trying to reinvent himself as a protectionist and Civil Rights-friendly R) Strickland has nothing going for him. For gently caress's sake, Strickland literally said Scalia's death "happened at a good time". He and Lee Fisher both deserve to be shot into the sun for murdering the chance for state-level Ds for the next 4 years.

NC is going to depend entirely on how badly Mayor McCheese and the state-level Rs look for the next few months because the turnout will be as D-friendly as possible right now.

Rubio has pretty openly embraced Trump the past few weeks, so he's certainly vulnerable.

Nevada will have the bonus of Reid getting louder the next couple months, but I'm inclined to say Indiana, Wisconsin, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and New Hampshire are all far more likely to flip than it.

Arizona is not happening. McCain has that state by the balls indefinitely and has a level of ingrained campaign infrastructure you aren't likely to be able to touch. Frankly, given his age and the fact that he's been iffy about the Trump business and kissed the ring out of convenience over conviction, I don't think that's the worst situation either since I get the feeling he may be more pliable for Clinton and open to some legacy-preserving moves for himself since I can't see him running again after this year. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him gone, but he's not the serious loving problem that, say, Ron Johnson could be for getting poo poo done.

Missouri probably won't happen barring an Akin-level gaffe as well. McCaskill was dead in the water there until the act of God and even that was way closer than people want to admit.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Luigi Thirty posted:

What about in Admiralty courts?

In ADMIRalTy couRTS it,, all [magical] (words) when you're a FREE MAN ON THE LAND and a SOVEREIGN MAN

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

iospace posted:

Right now.

Early ballots are mailed out, election day is on the 30th.

I say right now because early voting is a substantial portion of the vote.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

"Put down the phone and lets get to business" *holds up fists*

I wonder what Angelina Jolie has to say about Voight doing that

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Which one? They're not a band with one lovely song.

Home.

"Alabama, Arkansas,
I do love my Ma and Pa
Not the way that I do love you"

Jesus, those lyrics.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Trump's going sans teleprompter at American Renewal Project now

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Home.

"Alabama, Arkansas,
I do love my Ma and Pa
Not the way that I do love you"

Jesus, those lyrics.
Don't worry, they're also super disingenuous.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Now let's find out who this Edward Sharpe REALLY is! *pulls off mask* Mumford and Sons?!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

TheGreyGhost posted:

Ohio is not going to happen. Strickland has gotten owned by Portman so far and still has the stink of 2010 on him. Portman has 9 points on him right now, and short of Portman having an Akin-level gaffe (unlikely since he's trying to reinvent himself as a protectionist and Civil Rights-friendly R) Strickland has nothing going for him. For gently caress's sake, Strickland literally said Scalia's death "happened at a good time". He and Lee Fisher both deserve to be shot into the sun for murdering the chance for state-level Ds for the next 4 years.

Q-Poll, which leans right, has it within MOE.

TheGreyGhost posted:

NC is going to depend entirely on how badly Mayor McCheese and the state-level Rs look for the next few months because the turnout will be as D-friendly as possible right now.

TheGreyGhost posted:

Rubio has pretty openly embraced Trump the past few weeks, so he's certainly vulnerable.

He's running against a real boring dude

TheGreyGhost posted:

Nevada will have the bonus of Reid getting louder the next couple months, but I'm inclined to say Indiana, Wisconsin, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and New Hampshire are all far more likely to flip than it.

Joe Heck is a moron and not greatly loved by the state Republican party.

TheGreyGhost posted:

Arizona is not happening. McCain has that state by the balls indefinitely and has a level of ingrained campaign infrastructure you aren't likely to be able to touch. Frankly, given his age and the fact that he's been pissy about the Trump business, I don't think that's the worst situation either since I get the feeling he may be more pliable for Clinton and open to some legacy-preserving moves for himself since I can't see him running again after this year.

McCain does not have "arizona by the balls." He's been consistently close in polling and facing a tough primary.

TheGreyGhost posted:

Missouri probably won't happen barring an Akin-level gaffe as well. McCaskill was dead in the water there until the act of God and even that was way closer than people want to admit.

That's categorically untrue, and Roy Blount is nto well liked, but MO is on the low-end of happening.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Report from Ohio: I finally saw a pro-Strickland ad last night rather than an anti-Portman ad. AFSCME has been hammering Portman for being pro-China constantly and I don't think its working. They need to hammer Portman for endorsing Trump. Nobody has held his feet to the fire yet.

I don't think Strickland is likely to win unless things really look truly hopeless for Trump and R turnout is low. Ohio has a lot of angry white people that lost manufacturing jobs and are huge Trump supporters now despite being reliable Democratic voters. Its pretty odd.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Mahoning posted:

Report from Ohio: I finally saw a pro-Strickland ad last night rather than an anti-Portman ad. AFSCME has been hammering Portman for being pro-China constantly and I don't think its working. They need to hammer Portman for endorsing Trump. Nobody has held his feet to the fire yet.

I don't think Strickland is likely to win unless things really look truly hopeless for Trump and R turnout is low. Ohio has a lot of angry white people that lost manufacturing jobs and are huge Trump supporters now despite being reliable Democratic voters. Its pretty odd.

The Magical White Voter.

Seriously, this is the same dumb thinking that thinks Trump can "win the Rust belt"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

McCain does not have "arizona by the balls." He's been consistently close in polling and facing a tough primary.

I don't know how much campaign signs count for, but if signs could vote, Kelli Ward would be winning.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/jacobkornbluh/status/763808522781982720

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

If the election happened right now Strickland would get beat soundly, but at the same time Portman's been doing ads for months while for most voters the only reason you'd even know Strickland was running is that Portman's done anti-Strickland ads.

A lot can happen in 3 months though, but it'll take a lot of work on Strickland/Clinton/Trump's part.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't know how much campaign signs count for, but if signs could vote, Kelli Ward would be winning.

Not much, tbqf -- and polling senate primary races is, unreliable crap shoot at best -- but most people seem to believe that he has a tough primary ahead of him. He could also skate through the primary, but the general was polling tight earlier and AZ is in play for HRC.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

:allears:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Hillary's Economic Policy speech

Can't wait to vote against this guy, still can't believe that he beat Daschle

quote:

"He needs to be a serious candidate. He's our nominee, he needs to start acting like our nominee and I think the sooner he does that the more it's going to help all of our down-ballot nominees," Thune said. "It would be enormously helpful if we had a nominee that every single day we could get up and support rather than have to get up and explain what his statement were yesterday."

Setting such a high bar!

Saeka fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 11, 2016

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Hey man, you can't just go about posting Idris Elba without a warning like that. Some of us are trying to maintain our position on the Kinsey scale without swooning over one of the sexiest men alive.

But in all seriousness, those of you who haven't seen the live action preview they filmed for Deus Ex, should do so. It's pretty harsh watching a family get torn apart like that.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

If anyone has AZ by the balls it's Joe Arpaio. :sigh:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Trump thinks he's tied in Florida in the polls.

:laffo:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

WampaLord posted:

Trump thinks he's tied in Florida in the polls.

:laffo:

He counted yard signs though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

I sort of want to know just how boring that prepared speech was because right now Trump sounds like he's about to fall asleep. The only time he's had any energy so far during this speech has been when he mentioned his money and Hillary's e-mails.

• Locked thread